English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Complaints corner (https://www.englishforum.ch/complaints-corner/)
-   -   To go or not to go, a covid question!! (https://www.englishforum.ch/complaints-corner/304770-go-not-go-covid-question.html)

ruskasinthehouse 27.06.2021 19:56

To go or not to go, a covid question!!
 
So holiday booked in Portugal, departing on the 7th july. Travellers to germany from portugal after the 29th
June will have to quarantine, austria and switzerland preparing similar measures......


:msncrazy::msncrazy::msncrazy::msncrazy::msncrazy:

Back in august with less than a week to kids school to start.......


Just felt a kick

:msnsick::msnsick::msnsick::msnsick::msnsick::msns ick::msnsick:

Medea Fleecestealer 27.06.2021 20:25

Re: To go or not to go, a covid question!!
 
Things could change again in the time you're away so ....

trixxiee 27.06.2021 20:37

Re: To go or not to go, a covid question!!
 
Same for me but I was planning to be in Portugal on the 14th of August. Just e-mailed AXA Intertours to see whether they will reimburse the costs if I cancel the flight.

Not only is everything much more expensive than before, but also unpredictable... :puke:

Island Monkey 27.06.2021 21:57

Re: To go or not to go, a covid question!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ruskasinthehouse (Post 3321912)
Travellers to germany from portugal after the 29th June will have to quarantine, austria and switzerland preparing similar measures......

Where have you heard this? I assume only if not vaxed? Even fully vaxed people from U.K. donít have to quarantine here now!

3Wishes 27.06.2021 22:15

Re: To go or not to go, a covid question!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Island Monkey (Post 3321952)
Where have you heard this? I assume only if not vaxed? Even fully vaxed people from U.K. donít have to quarantine here now!

Apparently Portugal has been added to Germany's list of "countries with a variant of concern":

https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/e...lt/coronavirus

From that page (emphasis mine):
Quote:

Under the new Ordinance on Coronavirus Entry Regulations, persons entering Germany following a stay in a risk area, high incidence area or area of variant of concern in the last ten days must
  • proceed directly to their destination following entry and
  • self-isolate there for ten days (quarantine). After a stay in an area of variant ofconcern, travellers must self-isolate for 14 days rather than 10 days.
During this quarantine, travellers may not leave the house or flat or receive guests.

...For arrivals from areas of variant of concern no exceptions are possible.

Island Monkey 27.06.2021 22:26

Re: To go or not to go, a covid question!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3Wishes (Post 3321960)
Apparently Portugal has been added to Germany's list of "countries with a variant of concern":

But Germany is not Switzerland. In Switzerland if you are fully vaxed (donít know if OP is) then you donít have to quarantine from a variant of concern country.

3Wishes 27.06.2021 22:40

Re: To go or not to go, a covid question!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Island Monkey (Post 3321965)
But Germany is not Switzerland. In Switzerland if you are fully vaxed (donít know if OP is) then you donít have to quarantine from a variant of concern country.

The OP mentioned Germany so that's why I posted a link to the current German rules. :)

I've not seen anything yet that shows Switzerland plans to take a similar stance. But who knows. Rules and lists are changing all the time.

My best advice is if anyone plans to travel over the next several months, have good travel insurance.

curley 27.06.2021 22:55

Re: To go or not to go, a covid question!!
 
On German news they said lots of tourists are returning early as from a certain date (which I forgot) all people coming from portugal have to quarantine! Even the vaccinated ones!

Medea Fleecestealer 27.06.2021 22:56

Re: To go or not to go, a covid question!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Island Monkey (Post 3321965)
But Germany is not Switzerland. In Switzerland if you are fully vaxed (donít know if OP is) then you donít have to quarantine from a variant of concern country.

You don't? Then we could go to the UK and back again without quarantining at either?

amogles 27.06.2021 23:16

Re: To go or not to go, a covid question!!
 
I would have thought that in the days of working from home, quarantine is not all that punishing . I am happy to be able to travel somewhat normally again without having to pull every trick in the book

blackbird 27.06.2021 23:17

Re: To go or not to go, a covid question!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Medea Fleecestealer (Post 3321970)
You don't? Then we could go to the UK and back again without quarantining at either?

The UK is classified as a high risk country, so even vaccinated people have to quarantine on the way back.

Island Monkey 27.06.2021 23:22

Re: To go or not to go, a covid question!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Medea Fleecestealer (Post 3321970)
You don't? Then we could go to the UK and back again without quarantining at either?

Yes, since Saturday. You still have to quarantine in the UK.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbird (Post 3321978)
The UK is classified as a high risk country, so even vaccinated people have to quarantine on the way back.

Wrong, it changed on Saturday,

https://travelcheck.admin.ch/home

https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home...nreisende.html

Medea Fleecestealer 28.06.2021 06:22

Re: To go or not to go, a covid question!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Island Monkey (Post 3321980)
Yes, since Saturday. You still have to quarantine in the UK.



Wrong, it changed on Saturday,

https://travelcheck.admin.ch/home

https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home...nreisende.html

Darn. :(

Island Monkey 28.06.2021 06:23

Re: To go or not to go, a covid question!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Medea Fleecestealer (Post 3321988)
Darn. :(

U.K. rules make no sense now their levels are so high :confused:

Belgianmum 28.06.2021 07:07

Re: To go or not to go, a covid question!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by amogles (Post 3321976)
I would have thought that in the days of working from home, quarantine is not all that punishing . I am happy to be able to travel somewhat normally again without having to pull every trick in the book

The OP mentioned kids. If quarantine is required then families need to be back at least 10 days before the start of school. Kids arenít Ďworking from homeí anymore.

roegner 28.06.2021 07:49

Re: To go or not to go, a covid question!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Belgianmum (Post 3321990)
The OP mentioned kids. If quarantine is required then families need to be back at least 10 days before the start of school. Kids arenít Ďworking from homeí anymore.

Nor are a lot of people. Too many short sighted companies who could allow WFH but want to have their people back.

Collegue of mine will fly to Georgia (still quarantine requirement) and has rather upset the holiday planning of our team because she needs to be back 2 weeks before school begins

curley 28.06.2021 10:46

Re: To go or not to go, a covid question!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbird (Post 3321978)
The UK is classified as a high risk country, so even vaccinated people have to quarantine on the way back.

Quarantine where? In Switzerland?

Because I thought what I posted in my post 8 was so weird, I checked again. And in fact it's true, in Germany all people returning from Portugal have to quarantine, even the vaccinated ones:
<<From 29.06.2021 until at least 13.07.2021 Portugal including the Azores and Madeira is considered a virus variant area! An extended quarantine - even for fully vaccinated persons - upon return to Germany is mandatory. >>
German

I found no such rule for Switzerland (yet).

OP, unless you visit family, is it worth the hassle?

Urs Max 28.06.2021 13:10

Re: To go or not to go, a covid question!!
 
Not everything that's allowed is a good thing to do.
You takes the risk you pays the price.

Note the logarithmic scale.

https://youscreen.de/sycbwcrkn87.jpg

HickvonFrick 28.06.2021 15:15

Re: To go or not to go, a covid question!!
 
Seems to me that vaccinated people should be thrown some form of a carrot. How are we ever going to get enough people for herd immunity unless we give them (us as of Saturday!) preferential treatment on travel.

ruskasinthehouse 28.06.2021 15:44

Re: To go or not to go, a covid question!!
 
Quote:

OP, unless you visit family, is it worth the hassle?


Yes for the sake of my mental sanity....

bokabil 28.06.2021 17:08

Re: To go or not to go, a covid question!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ruskasinthehouse (Post 3322157)
Quote:

OP, unless you visit family, is it worth the hassle?
Yes for the sake of my mental sanity....

OP, well I guess your mind is made up already... just go ahead and roll the dice. If you have to quarantine on return, then write a letter to the school. The school would have to accept right, I mean what else can they do?

curley 28.06.2021 17:27

Re: To go or not to go, a covid question!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bokabil (Post 3322214)
OP, well I guess your mind is made up already... just go ahead and roll the dice. If you have to quarantine on return, then write a letter to the school. The school would have to accept right, I mean what else can they do?

And who knows, maybe by then they have to close the schools again. :msnsarcastic:

Island Monkey 28.06.2021 17:31

Re: To go or not to go, a covid question!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HickvonFrick (Post 3322146)
Seems to me that vaccinated people should be thrown some form of a carrot. How are we ever going to get enough people for herd immunity unless we give them (us as of Saturday!) preferential treatment on travel.

They are in many places. For example Malta, Portugal and Spain just put the UK on their quarantines lists, unless you are vaccinated, then you're exempt.

ruskasinthehouse 28.06.2021 22:09

Re: To go or not to go, a covid question!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bokabil (Post 3322214)
OP, well I guess your mind is made up already... just go ahead and roll the dice. If you have to quarantine on return, then write a letter to the school. The school would have to accept right, I mean what else can they do?

Yep, i have made my mind up... contingency plan - after 3 hours on hold with the airline... booked an earlier flight with quarantine time built in, so the kids go to schools as planned. Even if we have to quarantine.


But wtf, its ok to watch fottie live with no masks (look at the drunk fins in s.peterburg) and now over 300 infected...

Rules sometimes, but not always?!?!?!


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:32.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0