Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 24.07.2021, 17:46
HIAO's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Suisse Romande
Posts: 1,413
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 3,596 Times in 1,023 Posts
HIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond repute
Not a Lot of fun

Yesterday, my wife, daughter and our one year old son flew to Poland to visit family.

The itinerary was to leave Geneva around 7.30pm land at Warsaw around 9:30pm, take a connecting flight to Rzeszow, land just after 11pm, pick-up the hire car (with baby seat) for a one hour drive to her parents village.

The actual journey was different. Take-off from Geneva was delayed by 70 minutes with the passengers stuck in an umcomfortably hot aircraft.

Our son is too young for us to reserve his own seat, so a 13kg, tired one year-old was a miserable and heavy passenger.

Ok. Fair enough, flights are delayed. It happens.

When they arrived in Warsaw at 11pm, they had missed their connecting flight to Rzeszow.

The airline decided the journey would continue by taxi. This took 4 hours, in an old car, with no child seat, driven by Poland's Schumacher who'd already been on the road for 12 hours. No discussion, no other option.

At 4am, my family were dropped off in a car park outside Rzeszow airport, which was closed, as was the car hire desk, of course.

Family came and got them.


So, am I wrong to think my family have been treated badly, should I shut up and get over it?

Or, should I complain - I'm not looking for money, an acknowledgement, or an apology might be welcome..
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank HIAO for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 24.07.2021, 17:52
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 6,942
Groaned at 408 Times in 301 Posts
Thanked 9,618 Times in 4,501 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Not a Lot of fun

Well yes you should make your complaint known. But one thing most people neglect to do is to tell them what would make you happy. Be it frequent flyer miles, a credit towards future travel, cash refund or Ö

If you donít tell them, how will they know?

You might be surprised Ö
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank bowlie for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 24.07.2021, 17:56
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 11,514
Groaned at 92 Times in 87 Posts
Thanked 20,063 Times in 8,879 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Not a Lot of fun

Agree with bowlie to know what you'd like as an outcome before you start.

It is completely unacceptable to me that an airline thought a taxi without a child seat was somehow a reasonable option as opposed to putting everyone up in a hotel and continuing the next morning.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
This user groans at 3Wishes for this post:
  #4  
Old 24.07.2021, 19:04
evop's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: ZŁrich
Posts: 238
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 316 Times in 142 Posts
evop has earned the respect of manyevop has earned the respect of manyevop has earned the respect of many
Re: Not a Lot of fun

Sorry about your family's experience.
Absolutely make it known to the airline(s) about your dissatisfaction and make a claim for some form of a compensation, and don't restrain from asking for financial compensation or a flight voucher. In the end, bottom line is what really makes business to learn and change ways. In this case the total delay at the final destination is more than 3 hours with less than 1500 (not sure, maybe it is more considering the layover in Warsaw) kms distance, so expect 250 EUR, unless there were extraordinary circuimstances.

Here you can find a form to claim a compensation for a delayed EU flight:
https://ec.europa.eu/transport/sites...nt_form_en.pdf

Here is the explanation about your rights in this case:
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...r/index_en.htm

Also, here is a well-formatted page from BAG (FOCA):
https://www.bazl.admin.ch/bazl/en/ho...er-rights.html

Last edited by evop; 24.07.2021 at 19:16.
Reply With Quote
The following 10 users would like to thank evop for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 24.07.2021, 19:16
NickGB's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Zug
Posts: 1,199
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,675 Times in 674 Posts
NickGB has a reputation beyond reputeNickGB has a reputation beyond reputeNickGB has a reputation beyond reputeNickGB has a reputation beyond reputeNickGB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Not a Lot of fun

Agree with all above.....however.....you were setting yourself up for failure with the itinerary. With a one year old I would never have contemplated a trip ending at midnight. You have to, nowadays, assume delays/cancellations etc. I would have started much earlier and if not an option I would have spread the trip over two days.
Reply With Quote
The following 10 users would like to thank NickGB for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 24.07.2021, 19:36
otec's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Lugano
Posts: 644
Groaned at 249 Times in 110 Posts
Thanked 491 Times in 244 Posts
otec is considered unworthyotec is considered unworthyotec is considered unworthyotec is considered unworthy
Re: Not a Lot of fun

Quote:
View Post
Yesterday, my wife, daughter and our one year old son flew to Poland to visit family.

The itinerary was to leave Geneva around 7.30pm land at Warsaw around 9:30pm, take a connecting flight to Rzeszow, land just after 11pm, pick-up the hire car (with baby seat) for a one hour drive to her parents village.

The actual journey was different. Take-off from Geneva was delayed by 70 minutes with the passengers stuck in an umcomfortably hot aircraft.

Our son is too young for us to reserve his own seat, so a 13kg, tired one year-old was a miserable and heavy passenger.

Ok. Fair enough, flights are delayed. It happens.

When they arrived in Warsaw at 11pm, they had missed their connecting flight to Rzeszow.

The airline decided the journey would continue by taxi. This took 4 hours, in an old car, with no child seat, driven by Poland's Schumacher who'd already been on the road for 12 hours. No discussion, no other option.

At 4am, my family were dropped off in a car park outside Rzeszow airport, which was closed, as was the car hire desk, of course.

Family came and got them.


So, am I wrong to think my family have been treated badly, should I shut up and get over it?

Or, should I complain - I'm not looking for money, an acknowledgement, or an apology might be welcome..

Which airline was it ? Some cheap stuff ?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank otec for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 24.07.2021, 19:38
kri's Avatar
kri kri is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,556
Groaned at 54 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 2,462 Times in 1,212 Posts
kri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Not a Lot of fun

Can you not book a seat for a 13 month old? Way back then, one could. Was not mandatory but you could do it. Maybe it has changed.

We had done it with our 20 months old to the US so she could have her own car seat on the seat and sit/sleep comfortably.

In any case yes do complain, talk about the emotional turmoil and danger and do it now whilst fresh. Get reimbursed for actual costs (flight that did not happen, costs of picking up your wife etc) plus some kind of compensation for the stress.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank kri for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 24.07.2021, 20:22
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 8,799
Groaned at 324 Times in 248 Posts
Thanked 20,216 Times in 7,053 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Not a Lot of fun

I don't see the problem. The airline arranged a taxi after they missed the last flight. Isn't that better than staying a night in a hotel with 2 children and have a day less holiday?
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 24.07.2021, 20:25
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 6,942
Groaned at 408 Times in 301 Posts
Thanked 9,618 Times in 4,501 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Not a Lot of fun

Iím guessing LOT Polish airlines as neither Swiss nor squeezy are flying the route at the moment.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank bowlie for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 24.07.2021, 20:37
otec's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Lugano
Posts: 644
Groaned at 249 Times in 110 Posts
Thanked 491 Times in 244 Posts
otec is considered unworthyotec is considered unworthyotec is considered unworthyotec is considered unworthy
Re: Not a Lot of fun

Quote:
View Post
I don't see the problem. The airline arranged a taxi after they missed the last flight. Isn't that better than staying a night in a hotel with 2 children and have a day less holiday?
Very good point

Airline is not responsible for low quality of taxis. I guess oversight around taxi industry is pretty relaxed in Poland ?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank otec for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 24.07.2021, 20:37
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 5,230
Groaned at 294 Times in 210 Posts
Thanked 11,133 Times in 4,186 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Not a Lot of fun

I've had to sit on a hot plane on a tarmac for much longer than 70 minutes before. I agree, it is certainly no fun.

We also missed our connecting flight in Philadelphia once, due to a delayed flight, when our son was only 1 1/2 years old. We also ended up taking a taxi, without a child seat, to the hotel. But it was either that or stay in the airport overnight.

I guess that's one of the downsides of flying -- there are always so many unpredictable variables at play.

Anyways... I'm glad your family is okay.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Pancakes for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 24.07.2021, 21:02
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Not a Lot of fun

Quote:
View Post
Yesterday, my wife, daughter and our one year old son flew to Poland to visit family.

The itinerary was to leave Geneva around 7.30pm land at Warsaw around 9:30pm, take a connecting flight to Rzeszow, land just after 11pm, pick-up the hire car (with baby seat) for a one hour drive to her parents village.

The actual journey was different. Take-off from Geneva was delayed by 70 minutes with the passengers stuck in an umcomfortably hot aircraft.

Our son is too young for us to reserve his own seat, so a 13kg, tired one year-old was a miserable and heavy passenger.

Ok. Fair enough, flights are delayed. It happens.

When they arrived in Warsaw at 11pm, they had missed their connecting flight to Rzeszow.

The airline decided the journey would continue by taxi. This took 4 hours, in an old car, with no child seat, driven by Poland's Schumacher who'd already been on the road for 12 hours. No discussion, no other option.

At 4am, my family were dropped off in a car park outside Rzeszow airport, which was closed, as was the car hire desk, of course.

Family came and got them.


So, am I wrong to think my family have been treated badly, should I shut up and get over it?

Or, should I complain - I'm not looking for money, an acknowledgement, or an apology might be welcome..
Honestly? Ask your wife. I am used to the same schtick. Years of it. I doubt she cares for an apology, she wants her baby to sleep it off in peace, I bet. All the best to them, nothing like home made mom's food <3
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 24.07.2021, 22:35
Murloc's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bern
Posts: 541
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 598 Times in 300 Posts
Murloc has an excellent reputationMurloc has an excellent reputationMurloc has an excellent reputationMurloc has an excellent reputation
Re: Not a Lot of fun

to be honest, 70 min delays happen when flying, and the rest was all just consequence of that. They did get you a replacement transportation. The alternative would have been a hotel and so delaying the arrival further.
Sucks but it doesn't sound like you can gain anything out of this.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Murloc for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 24.07.2021, 22:37
NotAllThere's Avatar
Modulo 2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 15,231
Groaned at 312 Times in 268 Posts
Thanked 23,630 Times in 9,611 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Not a Lot of fun

Quote:
View Post
Agree with all above.....however.....you were setting yourself up for failure with the itinerary. With a one year old I would never have contemplated a trip ending at midnight. You have to, nowadays, assume delays/cancellations etc. I would have started much earlier and if not an option I would have spread the trip over two days.
Victim blaming? Just a litte?
Quote:
View Post
The airline decided the journey would continue by taxi. This took 4 hours, in an old car, with no child seat,
At this point I would have said.

No.

Not happening.

And kicked up an almighty fuss. And kept fussing until a reasonable alternative was provided. Safety is paramount. (Delay etc. np. but airlines have a duty of care)
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
This user groans at NotAllThere for this post:
  #15  
Old 25.07.2021, 08:39
NickGB's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Zug
Posts: 1,199
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,675 Times in 674 Posts
NickGB has a reputation beyond reputeNickGB has a reputation beyond reputeNickGB has a reputation beyond reputeNickGB has a reputation beyond reputeNickGB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Not a Lot of fun

Quote:
View Post
Victim blaming? Just a litte?

Certainly not my intention, however, I was suggesting that an itinerary ending at midnight, with a one year old, that could get blown off course by a one hour delay should be carefully considered.


Apologies to OP if my comments came across negatively.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank NickGB for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 25.07.2021, 08:44
Belgianmum's Avatar
Roastbeef & Yorkshire mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuch‚tel
Posts: 14,132
Groaned at 276 Times in 235 Posts
Thanked 24,177 Times in 9,855 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Not a Lot of fun

Quote:
View Post
At this point I would have said.

No.

Not happening.

And kicked up an almighty fuss. And kept fussing until a reasonable alternative was provided. Safety is paramount. (Delay etc. np. but airlines have a duty of care)
Me too.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 25.07.2021, 08:53
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 6,942
Groaned at 408 Times in 301 Posts
Thanked 9,618 Times in 4,501 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Not a Lot of fun

Particularly in Europe, the Later in the day the departure the more likely the flight will be delayed. And, due to curfews, the more likely the delay will turn into a cancellation.

But on the other hand the earlier the flight the earlier you have to rise, and the more difficult it will be to get to the airport.

We need Star Trek technology.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank bowlie for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 25.07.2021, 08:56
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 6,942
Groaned at 408 Times in 301 Posts
Thanked 9,618 Times in 4,501 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Not a Lot of fun

Quote:
View Post
Me too.
Well sometimes itís a Hobsonís Choice.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank bowlie for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 25.07.2021, 09:03
Belgianmum's Avatar
Roastbeef & Yorkshire mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuch‚tel
Posts: 14,132
Groaned at 276 Times in 235 Posts
Thanked 24,177 Times in 9,855 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Not a Lot of fun

Quote:
View Post
Well sometimes itís a Hobsonís Choice.
Itís never a Hobsonís Choice when the safety of a child is a stake in my opinion.
I would never have accepted to undertake a four hour taxi journey with a one year old and no car seat. I would have stood my ground until they came up with an acceptable alternative.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 25.07.2021, 09:42
otec's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Lugano
Posts: 644
Groaned at 249 Times in 110 Posts
Thanked 491 Times in 244 Posts
otec is considered unworthyotec is considered unworthyotec is considered unworthyotec is considered unworthy
Re: Not a Lot of fun

Quote:
View Post
Itís never a Hobsonís Choice when the safety of a child is a stake in my opinion.
I would never have accepted to undertake a four hour taxi journey with a one year old and no car seat. I would have stood my ground until they came up with an acceptable alternative.
An official taxi is an acceptable alternative. It's not airline problem that a taxi industry has poor regulations.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0