Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05.09.2021, 16:54
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Canton ZH
Posts: 57
Groaned at 27 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 101 Times in 34 Posts
wutheringheights is considered knowledgeablewutheringheights is considered knowledgeablewutheringheights is considered knowledgeable
Abused for wearing mask on Bus!

Have recently been noticing more people on public transport who are choosing not to wear masks( to hell with maskenpflicht and common sense) Was on a bus today, when a guy boards without wearing a mask. I happened to be looking at him and he then proceeded to stand at a spot behind my seat (the luggage/wheelchair area) and started to mutter to himself. I turned to look and he kept muttering and at the next stop banged his fist against my seat, said something about me being a fascist and mask whatever and a few things I didn’t understand. I got up and moved to another seat in front and he got off at the next stop. Neither the driver nor any of the passengers reacted to him although I did hear chatter once he got off. What is the point of advertising compulsory masks when people like this are allowed to get away without. Not to mention the aggression!
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank wutheringheights for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 05.09.2021, 17:40
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,911
Groaned at 45 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 983 Times in 658 Posts
blackbird is considered knowledgeableblackbird is considered knowledgeableblackbird is considered knowledgeable
Re: Abused for wearing mask on Bus!

Well, there is not much you can do.
The other person who is not wearing a mask can only be asked to wear a mask.
If he does not comply, you can inform the driver, thats all.
The driver has the right , to exclude the passenger, who does not comply to the current rules or call the police if he does not exit or wear a mask when the driver ask him to do so.
I think the pressure for those people who refuse to get vaccinated or tested to get acces to certain areas will rise and some people dont care about a fast end to the pandemic .
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank blackbird for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 05.09.2021, 17:51
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Basel-Stadt
Posts: 336
Groaned at 146 Times in 73 Posts
Thanked 319 Times in 164 Posts
CliiniMuus is considered knowledgeableCliiniMuus is considered knowledgeableCliiniMuus is considered knowledgeable
Re: Abused for wearing mask on Bus!

It's nothing to do with masks, and the others realise that, I would guess. It's a person acting out, either because of temporary or permanent health issues of some sort.


You can surely observe around you, that whether someone chooses to wear a mask or not, people generally aren't going about their day ranting randomly.


It's a danger to take things at face value, instead of digging a little deeper, and can lead to false conclusions like thinking this is about masks.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05.09.2021, 17:57
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Canton ZH
Posts: 57
Groaned at 27 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 101 Times in 34 Posts
wutheringheights is considered knowledgeablewutheringheights is considered knowledgeablewutheringheights is considered knowledgeable
Re: Abused for wearing mask on Bus!

Quote:
View Post
It's nothing to do with masks, and the others realise that, I would guess. It's a person acting out, either because of temporary or permanent health issues of some sort.


You can surely observe around you, that whether someone chooses to wear a mask or not, people generally aren't going about their day ranting randomly.


It's a danger to take things at face value, instead of digging a little deeper, and can lead to false conclusions like thinking this is about masks.
So aggressive behavior is to be ignored on public transport?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank wutheringheights for this useful post:
This user groans at wutheringheights for this post:
  #5  
Old 05.09.2021, 19:43
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 8,877
Groaned at 386 Times in 265 Posts
Thanked 13,433 Times in 4,603 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Abused for wearing mask on Bus!

Quote:
View Post
So aggressive behavior is to be ignored on public transport?
And anywhere else.

Unless you want to get into a punch up, in any situation like this, don‘t look at them and move away…
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank AbFab for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 05.09.2021, 19:47
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Canton ZH
Posts: 57
Groaned at 27 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 101 Times in 34 Posts
wutheringheights is considered knowledgeablewutheringheights is considered knowledgeablewutheringheights is considered knowledgeable
Re: Abused for wearing mask on Bus!

Quote:
View Post
And anywhere else.

Unless you want to get into a punch up, in any situation like this, don‘t look at them and move away…
Yes I moved away. But the concerning thing is no one else lifted a finger, and why are people like this allowed to stay on the bus when they are potentially dangerous to others?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users groan at wutheringheights for this post:
  #7  
Old 05.09.2021, 20:54
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Basel-Stadt
Posts: 336
Groaned at 146 Times in 73 Posts
Thanked 319 Times in 164 Posts
CliiniMuus is considered knowledgeableCliiniMuus is considered knowledgeableCliiniMuus is considered knowledgeable
Re: Abused for wearing mask on Bus!

Quote:
View Post
So aggressive behavior is to be ignored on public transport?
You seem intent on being outraged, and increasingly so the more people tell you this is just the occasional, very normal experience that can happen in a public setting, which is a sign of poor health.

The face of the needy is rarely smiley, welcoming and all jolly hockeysticks. Support systems are either absent or inadequate. We have many, many citizens in dire need of better care in their communities.

Get involved with the voluntary sector, as it'll teach you to look at situations like this in a more realistic fashion, and you're presumably living a charmed life, if this is the first time you're seeing someone unwell ranting in public.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users groan at CliiniMuus for this post:
  #8  
Old 05.09.2021, 21:00
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Canton ZH
Posts: 57
Groaned at 27 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 101 Times in 34 Posts
wutheringheights is considered knowledgeablewutheringheights is considered knowledgeablewutheringheights is considered knowledgeable
Re: Abused for wearing mask on Bus!

Quote:
View Post
You seem intent on being outraged, and increasingly so the more people tell you this is just the occasional, very normal experience that can happen in a public setting, which is a sign of poor health.

The face of the needy is rarely smiley, welcoming and all jolly hockeysticks. Support systems are either absent or inadequate. We have many, many citizens in dire need of better care in their communities.

Get involved with the voluntary sector, as it'll teach you to look at situations like this in a more realistic fashion, and you're presumably living a charmed life, if this is the first time you're seeing someone unwell ranting in public.
Yes let’s normalize aggression and let’s make society even more passive than it already is. And yes I am outraged but more so as some of the responses indicate, there’s more empathy for the “potentially” crazy dude who could cause harm than a regular commuter going about their business.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at wutheringheights for this post:
  #9  
Old 05.09.2021, 22:35
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 7,804
Groaned at 420 Times in 284 Posts
Thanked 18,412 Times in 5,697 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Abused for wearing mask on Bus!

Quote:
View Post
So aggressive behavior is to be ignored on public transport?
Bus drivers are not the police. Don't expect them to do much unless a situation is escalalating out of control.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank olygirl for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 08.09.2021, 04:11
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: zug
Posts: 725
Groaned at 93 Times in 65 Posts
Thanked 507 Times in 284 Posts
LakeSwimmer has an excellent reputationLakeSwimmer has an excellent reputationLakeSwimmer has an excellent reputationLakeSwimmer has an excellent reputation
Re: Abused for wearing mask on Bus!

Quote:
View Post
Well, there is not much you can do.
The other person who is not wearing a mask can only be asked to wear a mask.
If he does not comply, you can inform the driver, thats all.
The driver has the right , to exclude the passenger, who does not comply to the current rules or call the police if he does not exit or wear a mask when the driver ask him to do so.
I think the pressure for those people who refuse to get vaccinated or tested to get acces to certain areas will rise and some people dont care about a fast end to the pandemic .
Difficult for drivers to enforce a mask policy without constant altercations.

I don’t understand non-mask wearing on a bus. It seems an obvious / easy thing to comply with.

Perhaps he was vaccinated and felt he had no need to wear.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08.09.2021, 08:09
NotAllThere's Avatar
Modulo 2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 15,647
Groaned at 327 Times in 280 Posts
Thanked 24,441 Times in 9,949 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Abused for wearing mask on Bus!

Quote:
View Post
I don’t understand non-mask wearing on a bus
I put it down to childish rebellion. Rebels without a clue. Funny it's the pilot who was posturing as a hero and delaying the flight - not four brave personal freedom warriors...

Quote:
Perhaps he was vaccinated and felt he had no need to wear.
Funny. The poster above thought vaccination doesn't prevent spread (implication, it makes no difference to spread). It reduces spread by about 50%, but doesn't eliminate it.

The base rate (R0) of covid-19 is now around 5.7. 1 person, with no other measures, will infect 5-6 others. Vaccination reduces this to 2-3, which is pretty significant and with other measures - such as wearing masks properly on buses and planes, and not exposing your nose, social distancing, contact tracing etc. - brings R below 1. Currently it's at about 1. If it can get low by greater compliance (reduced irrational stupidity, waaaaah I don't wanna wear a mask), then it will die out.

Of course with constant reintroduction from surrounding nations*, it's going to take a while, but why due to some spurious notion of personal freedom (or lack of a sense of social responsibility), make it take longer?



* Austria 1.1, Germany 1.8, Italy 1.0, France 0.8
__________________
Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08.09.2021, 08:45
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 14,067
Groaned at 1,405 Times in 930 Posts
Thanked 21,215 Times in 8,115 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Abused for wearing mask on Bus!

Quote:
View Post
Difficult for drivers to enforce a mask policy without constant altercations.

I don’t understand non-mask wearing on a bus. It seems an obvious / easy thing to comply with.

Perhaps he was vaccinated and felt he had no need to wear.
What's is not to understand? People who purposefully refuse to wear masks in places where the law says you must do so are misguided deiusionals with psychological problems who think they are making some kind of societal stand against whatever notion of tyranny and injustice they have convinced themselves of.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Chuff for this useful post:
This user groans at Chuff for this post:
  #13  
Old 08.09.2021, 09:10
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 338 Times in 274 Posts
Thanked 26,263 Times in 11,000 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Abused for wearing mask on Bus!

Quote:
View Post
What's is not to understand? People who purposefully refuse to wear masks in places where the law says you must do so are misguided deiusionals with psychological problems who think they are making some kind of societal stand against whatever notion of tyranny and injustice they have convinced themselves of.
Maybe you think Rosa Parks was a misguided delusional too ?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
This user groans at amogles for this post:
  #14  
Old 08.09.2021, 09:20
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,131
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Abused for wearing mask on Bus!

Quote:
View Post
Maybe you think Rosa Parks was a misguided delusional too ?
The 1955-Chuff definitely did.
The 2021-Chuff of course is woke and would never ..... as it's not en vogue.
The 2050-Chuff .... well, we'll find out then what that Chuff will vehemently and aggressively defend then. I'm sure EF will still exist but we will have to keep track of his handle-changing habit if we want to do a proper statistics.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 08.09.2021, 16:36
ennui's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Kt Zurich
Posts: 1,209
Groaned at 36 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 3,718 Times in 1,306 Posts
ennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Abused for wearing mask on Bus!

Quote:
View Post
Maybe you think Rosa Parks was a misguided delusional too ?
Comparing Rosa Parks to people choosing to not wear a mask on public transport boggles the mind. |
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank ennui for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 09.09.2021, 00:09
otec's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Lugano
Posts: 644
Groaned at 249 Times in 110 Posts
Thanked 491 Times in 244 Posts
otec is considered unworthyotec is considered unworthyotec is considered unworthyotec is considered unworthy
Re: Abused for wearing mask on Bus!

Quote:
View Post
What's is not to understand? People who purposefully refuse to wear masks in places where the law says you must do so are misguided deiusionals with psychological problems who think they are making some kind of societal stand against whatever notion of tyranny and injustice they have convinced themselves of.
Laws were created in rush by brainless politicians who only care how to keep their seat.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank otec for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 05.09.2021, 17:45
XDr's Avatar
XDr XDr is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Northeast
Posts: 211
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 283 Times in 157 Posts
XDr has an excellent reputationXDr has an excellent reputationXDr has an excellent reputationXDr has an excellent reputation
Re: Abused for wearing mask on Bus!

Are you sure this was not "just" a drunkard or mentally ill person? Not fun either way, but the last case in particular is likely to be someone the driver knows.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank XDr for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 05.09.2021, 18:19
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: SZ
Posts: 175
Groaned at 43 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 49 Times in 36 Posts
TomLis has earned some respectTomLis has earned some respect
Re: Abused for wearing mask on Bus!

Quote:
View Post
Have recently been noticing more people on public transport who are choosing not to wear masks( to hell with maskenpflicht and common sense) Was on a bus today, when a guy boards without wearing a mask. I happened to be looking at him and he then proceeded to stand at a spot behind my seat (the luggage/wheelchair area) and started to mutter to himself. I turned to look and he kept muttering and at the next stop banged his fist against my seat, said something about me being a fascist and mask whatever and a few things I didn’t understand. I got up and moved to another seat in front and he got off at the next stop. Neither the driver nor any of the passengers reacted to him although I did hear chatter once he got off. What is the point of advertising compulsory masks when people like this are allowed to get away without. Not to mention the aggression!
I think you touched here a very serious problem now in Switzerland. Sadly, as this Country has one of the best, if not the BEST Pharma industries, that people are so ignorant.

We just had visit from Germany a few Weeks ago and they were shocked - you can see people without Masks in Shopping Malls, Elevator, Shops, ect. Not once did a Shop Owner said anything.

I would assume, that also here it is the responsibility of the Public Transport Operator, as in other Countries they will bear the Fine, but I am really sorry to say it - if one is "abusing" the Rules and make noise after 22 - the Police will be called. But Mask ? Covid? who cares!

BTW I see it in our Kids School. Just me and another few Parents wear Mask when we are at the School premises, I do not even know the Mask Rules here and I do not care - I am around a Building full of Kids - I wear a Mask. But even I saw Teachers without one, so, go figure.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank TomLis for this useful post:
The following 4 users groan at TomLis for this post:
  #19  
Old 05.09.2021, 19:40
kri's Avatar
kri kri is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,767
Groaned at 55 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 2,728 Times in 1,332 Posts
kri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Abused for wearing mask on Bus!

Was this Bus 32 in Zurich? Quite known for a lot of drunken and nutters on it.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05.09.2021, 19:45
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Canton ZH
Posts: 57
Groaned at 27 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 101 Times in 34 Posts
wutheringheights is considered knowledgeablewutheringheights is considered knowledgeablewutheringheights is considered knowledgeable
Re: Abused for wearing mask on Bus!

Quote:
View Post
I think you touched here a very serious problem now in Switzerland. Sadly, as this Country has one of the best, if not the BEST Pharma industries, that people are so ignorant.

We just had visit from Germany a few Weeks ago and they were shocked - you can see people without Masks in Shopping Malls, Elevator, Shops, ect. Not once did a Shop Owner said anything.

I would assume, that also here it is the responsibility of the Public Transport Operator, as in other Countries they will bear the Fine, but I am really sorry to say it - if one is "abusing" the Rules and make noise after 22 - the Police will be called. But Mask ? Covid? who cares!

BTW I see it in our Kids School. Just me and another few Parents wear Mask when we are at the School premises, I do not even know the Mask Rules here and I do not care - I am around a Building full of Kids - I wear a Mask. But even I saw Teachers without one, so, go figure.
Firstly, thank you for doing the right thing. Also you are right, this is really contradictory, how “rules” are enforced. It appears that as usual the reasonable ones have to bear it. And in some cases be the target of ridicule and abuse.

I’ve heard friends share they got laughed at for wearing a mask, I’ve been on public transport (train) where I’ve seen people not wearing masks and carrying placards saying the only virus is blind faith in the government and today I was close to being physically assaulted. All because people are being allowed to get away with this behavior, the silent majority has to suffer. I’m sure if they implemented fines the behavior would improve- once word of consequences gets around compliance increases.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank wutheringheights for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mask wearing situation in gyms neutralname Daily life 53 19.11.2020 12:20
How is wearing the mask rule followed in your canton? McTAVGE Daily life 57 01.08.2020 20:55
If you agree that I was verbally abused where do I report this doctor? Pretty_in_pink Complaints corner 128 10.04.2011 12:02
Anyone can help me [Au Pair] ??? Being abused by child! marc11 Employment 45 29.03.2011 17:37
Au Pair abused, quit or stay? Guest General off-topic 131 30.03.2009 15:09


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0