Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #361  
Old 14.09.2021, 18:03
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,876
Groaned at 62 Times in 50 Posts
Thanked 4,070 Times in 1,901 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit

Quote:
View Post
Used to do the same. Problem is - like the middle - what is considered "liberal" has moved so far left on many social aspects. And fiscally conservative exists nowhere in the world anymore.
Those sorts aren't liberals. They are just a different sort of conservative. Liberalism is about tolerance and a light touch.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank HickvonFrick for this useful post:
  #362  
Old 14.09.2021, 18:06
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 3,434
Groaned at 313 Times in 217 Posts
Thanked 6,900 Times in 2,921 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit

Quote:
View Post
Those sorts aren't liberals. They are just a different sort of conservative. Liberalism is about tolerance and a light touch.
In the European sense, yes.
Reply With Quote
  #363  
Old 14.09.2021, 19:09
My2pups's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Used to be Zurich
Posts: 1,706
Groaned at 94 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 1,989 Times in 870 Posts
My2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit

Well, the terms liberal and liberalism have been coopted or assigned to so many different groups that the terms have lost true meaning. When I studied economics as an undergrad in the '80s, classical liberals were devotees of Keynes.

Today, they are devotees of AOC and "the Squad." In Europe, after more than 15yrs living here, I still am not sure what it means...

Quote:
View Post
Those sorts aren't liberals. They are just a different sort of conservative. Liberalism is about tolerance and a light touch.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank My2pups for this useful post:
  #364  
Old 14.09.2021, 19:19
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 338 Times in 274 Posts
Thanked 26,263 Times in 11,000 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit

Quote:
View Post

Today, they are devotees of AOC and "the Squad." In Europe, after more than 15yrs living here, I still am not sure what it means...
In Switzerland the liberals are the people who drafted the constitution and were for much of their history the largest and most influential party who also defended commerce and especially small businesses, standing for fiscal restraint, economic and intellectual freedom, and national unity across religious and linguistic divides and Swiss neutrality in the political, diplomatic and military domains.

Basically everything traditionally associated with Swissness.

But I guess they lost their compass in the last few decades and are now struggling to work out what they actually stand for.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #365  
Old 14.09.2021, 19:26
parnell's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Geroldswil
Posts: 642
Groaned at 219 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 2,165 Times in 1,024 Posts
parnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond reputeparnell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit

Small (or preferably tiny) government liberals - the kind where you decide what is to be done with YOUR resources - are more needed than ever to stand up against tyrannies.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank parnell for this useful post:
  #366  
Old 14.09.2021, 19:31
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,876
Groaned at 62 Times in 50 Posts
Thanked 4,070 Times in 1,901 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit

Quote:
View Post
Well, the terms liberal and liberalism have been coopted or assigned to so many different groups that the terms have lost true meaning. When I studied economics as an undergrad in the '80s, classical liberals were devotees of Keynes.

Today, they are devotees of AOC and "the Squad." In Europe, after more than 15yrs living here, I still am not sure what it means...
Americans have a completely different concept of liberalism to the rest of the world.

America doesn't really have any mainstream liberals tbh. Perhaps some of the very purplest Republicans.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank HickvonFrick for this useful post:
  #367  
Old 14.09.2021, 19:39
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 338 Times in 274 Posts
Thanked 26,263 Times in 11,000 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit

Quote:
View Post
Americans have a completely different concept of liberalism to the rest of the world.

America doesn't really have any mainstream liberals tbh. Perhaps some of the very purplest Republicans.
I would consider the purple-edge Republicans to be the true conservatives in the traditional sense of the term, with the rest of the GOP being a coalition of libertarians, bible-belt reactionaries and special interest groups. The Dems on the other hand are a coalition of professional groups such as education and administration, plus some old-school working class and union types, and maybe also some intellectual liberals (but very few) with on the edges some more revolutionary elements and also some special interest groups.

I don't think the gradient of (traditional) liberalism to (traditional) conservatism is as stratified in the US as it is in Europe.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #368  
Old 14.09.2021, 21:28
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 8,776
Groaned at 106 Times in 87 Posts
Thanked 13,548 Times in 5,521 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit

Quote:
View Post
So everyone is fighting everyone.
Fortunately, not everyone.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post:
  #369  
Old 14.09.2021, 21:41
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 4,441
Groaned at 75 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 6,233 Times in 2,932 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit

The ultimate dissertation on the meaning of conservative: On being conservative by Michael Oakeshott:

Quote:
In short, it is a disposition appropriate to a man who is acutely aware of having something to lose which he has learned to care for; a man in some degree rich in opportunities for enjoyment, but not so rich that he can afford to be indifferent to loss. It will appear more naturally in the old than in the young, not because the old are more sensitive to loss but because they are apt to be more fully aware of the resources of their world and therefore less likely to find them inadequate. In some people this disposition is weak merely because they are ignorant of what their world has to offer them: the present appears to them only as a residue of inopportunities
So, more than personal convictions, there's great influence of where you were born and your stage in life. Ironically, conservative friends don't like to discuss this.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Axa for this useful post:
  #370  
Old 14.09.2021, 22:22
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,724
Groaned at 424 Times in 234 Posts
Thanked 6,579 Times in 3,024 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit

Quote:
View Post
This post is everything in a nutshell! Has anyone in this thread called for more bans? If anything they’ve been opposed to them.

Under the previous team someone only had to disagree with a point before the calls would go up “you should be banned”!! Far too often the mods were only too eager to oblige.
Well, I don’t know if it’s everything in a nutshell, but there is a new post asking about early retirement in CH - about which I happen to know everything.

In fact, it’s my 58th birthday, and I am now officially retired. Celebrations with loved ones were wonderful, have just finished, and now I’m looking forward to the next episode of Silent Witness, accompanied by a glass of the remaining champagne.

But I will hold back on answering this post, because it will just get moved or deleted because the mod doesn’t understand it or is having a bad hair day.

Good luck to that person out there asking for advice - ‘ cos I’m now officially, happily, well prepared and well stocked-up retired! Would have liked to pass on some good info. - there are so very, many pitfalls you need to look out for in Switzerland.

However, due to completely blind strategy of this site - I will not.

It’s hard - but I’m sure you’ll be fine somehow.

Goodbye you all - the site needs people like me more than we need you, and enough is enough!
Reply With Quote
This user groans at ZuriRollt for this post:
  #371  
Old 14.09.2021, 22:24
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 4,441
Groaned at 75 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 6,233 Times in 2,932 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit

Quote:
View Post
Well, I don’t know if it’s everything in a nutshell, but there is a new post asking about early retirement in CH - about which I happen to know everything.

In fact, it’s my 58th birthday, and I am now officially retired. Celebrations with loved ones were wonderful, have just finished, and now I’m looking forward to the next episode of Silent Witness, accompanied by a glass of the remaining champagne.

But I will hold back on answering this post, because it will just get moved or deleted because the mod doesn’t understand it or is having a bad hair day.

Good luck to that person out there asking for advice - ‘ ‘cos I’m now officially, happily, well prepared and well stocked-up retired! Would have liked to pass on some good info. - there are so very, many pitfalls you need to look out for in Switzerland.

However, due to completely blind strategy of this site - I will not.

It’s hard - but I’m sure you’ll be fine somehow.

Goodbye you all - the site needs people like me more than we need you, and enough is enough!
Please, wait for FRIDAAAAAAAAY! Or at least repost next Friday.

@Mods: we need a section of the forum for I quit threads. So, no need to hijack other threads or sending messages via active members.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Axa for this useful post:
  #372  
Old 14.09.2021, 22:45
V__'s Avatar
V__ V__ is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,511
Groaned at 384 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 2,082 Times in 866 Posts
V__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit

Quote:
View Post
Well, I donít know if itís everything in a nutshell, but there is a new post asking about early retirement in CH - about which I happen to know everything.

In fact, itís my 58th birthday, and I am now officially retired. Celebrations with loved ones were wonderful, have just finished, and now Iím looking forward to the next episode of Silent Witness, accompanied by a glass of the remaining champagne.

But I will hold back on answering this post, because it will just get moved or deleted because the mod doesnít understand it or is having a bad hair day.

Good luck to that person out there asking for advice - Ď cos Iím now officially, happily, well prepared and well stocked-up retired! Would have liked to pass on some good info. - there are so very, many pitfalls you need to look out for in Switzerland.

However, due to completely blind strategy of this site - I will not.

Itís hard - but Iím sure youíll be fine somehow.

Goodbye you all - the site needs people like me more than we need you, and enough is enough!
Happy birthday and congrats on the early retirement
Reply With Quote
The following 9 users would like to thank V__ for this useful post:
  #373  
Old 14.09.2021, 22:47
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 7,770
Groaned at 419 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 18,298 Times in 5,668 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit

Quote:
View Post
Please, wait for FRIDAAAAAAAAY! Or at least repost next Friday.

@Mods: we need a section of the forum for I quit threads. So, no need to hijack other threads or sending messages via active members.
I would agree but if a profilic poster decides to leave, I think they've earned the right for a farewell thread that eventually turns into an attack on other posters, the mods or EF in general, depending on the reason for leaving. Ultimately, after seeing the thread become a train wreck for far too long, a mod will close the thread and the poster will have then been put to rest... EF style.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank olygirl for this useful post:
  #374  
Old 14.09.2021, 22:49
terrifisch
 
Posts: n/a
Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit

Quote:
View Post
Well, I don’t know if it’s everything in a nutshell, but there is a new post asking about early retirement in CH - about which I happen to know everything.

In fact, it’s my 58th birthday, and I am now officially retired. Celebrations with loved ones were wonderful, have just finished, and now I’m looking forward to the next episode of Silent Witness, accompanied by a glass of the remaining champagne.

But I will hold back on answering this post, because it will just get moved or deleted because the mod doesn’t understand it or is having a bad hair day.

Good luck to that person out there asking for advice - ‘ cos I’m now officially, happily, well prepared and well stocked-up retired! Would have liked to pass on some good info. - there are so very, many pitfalls you need to look out for in Switzerland.

However, due to completely blind strategy of this site - I will not.

It’s hard - but I’m sure you’ll be fine somehow.

Goodbye you all - the site needs people like me more than we need you, and enough is enough!
I wish you all the best ZuriRolt re: your retirement!
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #375  
Old 14.09.2021, 22:53
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,131
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit

Quote:
View Post
I would agree but if a profilic poster decides to leave, I think they've earned the right for a farewell thread that eventually turns into an attack on other posters, the mods or EF in general, depending on the reason for leaving. Ultimately, after seeing the thread become a train wreck for far too long, a mod will close the thread and the poster will have then been put to rest... EF style.
The EF server would burst from farewell threads for ZŁriRollt.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #376  
Old 14.09.2021, 23:02
pilatus1's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Milky Way
Posts: 1,803
Groaned at 152 Times in 103 Posts
Thanked 4,789 Times in 1,886 Posts
pilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit

Quote:
View Post

It’s hard - but I’m sure you’ll be fine somehow.
We will not.

This site is going to self-destruct without all of your cheerful input and positivity.



-big salty tears-





Enjoy your retirement!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank pilatus1 for this useful post:
  #377  
Old 15.09.2021, 07:51
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 2,060
Groaned at 898 Times in 501 Posts
Thanked 4,902 Times in 2,166 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit

Quote:
View Post
Used to do the same. Problem is - like the middle - what is considered "liberal" has moved so far left on many social aspects. And fiscally conservative exists nowhere in the world anymore.
I think we need to reassess the term "Liberal". Anyone who claims to be a liberal but is has supported big state authoritarian measures like lockdowns and vaccine passports is the antipodal opposite to a liberal!!
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank TonyClifton for this useful post:
The following 4 users groan at TonyClifton for this post:
  #378  
Old 15.09.2021, 08:53
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 2,060
Groaned at 898 Times in 501 Posts
Thanked 4,902 Times in 2,166 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit

Quote:
View Post
Saying Covid is the same as the flu is spreading false information. Maybe this issue should be discussed with the editor.
Yesterday, Steve Baker MP for Wycombe, compared Covid to Flu in terms of infection fatality rate. This after having the latest estimate for IFR confirmed by the Department of Health (0.096%). I think this highlights well the dangers of accusing people of spreading "false information"!

https://twitter.com/SteveBakerHW/sta...69574615764992

https://questions-statements.parliam...21-07-12/31381
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank TonyClifton for this useful post:
  #379  
Old 15.09.2021, 10:06
V__'s Avatar
V__ V__ is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,511
Groaned at 384 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 2,082 Times in 866 Posts
V__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit

Remember folks, the grass is never greener...

Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank V__ for this useful post:
  #380  
Old 15.09.2021, 10:22
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 15,037
Groaned at 295 Times in 199 Posts
Thanked 19,127 Times in 8,045 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit

now i know where to troll if things ever get slow on EF
Reply With Quote
The following 11 users would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
reddit




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reddit, Amazon and twitch down.. Hausamsee TV/internet/telephone 26 08.06.2021 21:11
r/RoastMe - Reddit.com Castro Jokes/funnies 0 22.11.2015 14:19
TV Series discussed mark General off-topic 923 06.08.2012 20:36
Reddit Switzerland ElJeFe General off-topic 1 08.01.2012 16:27
This Topic Has Been Discussed Before...... sharkey Forum support 22 19.05.2009 21:02


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0