English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Complaints corner (https://www.englishforum.ch/complaints-corner/)
-   -   EF is being discussed on Reddit (https://www.englishforum.ch/complaints-corner/305775-ef-being-discussed-reddit.html)

olygirl 10.09.2021 20:48

EF is being discussed on Reddit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by marton (Post 3346985)
In an unusual twist of events, this EF thread is now being discussed in Reddit, all nonsense of course.

Maybe somebody here would like to start a thread about reddit?

It's just like reading EF live.

vushka 10.09.2021 20:52

Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit
 
Who started the reddit thread?

My moneys on Chuff or Pancake :D

otec 10.09.2021 20:56

Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit
 
oh my

Island Monkey 10.09.2021 21:08

Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit
 
It cracks me up that people think EF is a dark and terrible place. I'm quite sensitive in general, and EF doesn't bother me at all, where as FB and Twitter have really upset me in the past. :confused::confused:

GParker 10.09.2021 21:12

Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit
 
Uffff.

And wow, an actual response, in fact multiple responses from thelocal !

Quote:

Hi all. Thanks for this post and the emails some of you have sent to us. We take it seriously and are looking into it to see what we can do. As journalists working on The Local news sites we are not involved in the forum in any way and you can be reassured our coverage of the pandemic has been dictated only by our desire to get the correct information and facts to readers. But obviously as owner of the Englishforum we need ensure if reflects our values and does not encouraging law-breaking or the spreading of conspiracy theories, while allowing a range of views to be heard (some of which will be at odds with our own). We will be discussing possible action this morning and I'll report back here. Thanks again for the post. Ben (Managing Editor)

olygirl 10.09.2021 21:17

Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GParker (Post 3347052)
Uffff.

And wow, an actual response, in fact multiple responses from thelocal !

Was this sent to you personally?

GParker 10.09.2021 21:23

Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by olygirl (Post 3347054)
Was this sent to you personally?

No. TheLocManEd has responded to a number of posts on the reddit thread. I don't know how to send a direct link.

eyebeebe 10.09.2021 21:23

Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit
 
EF is moderate/right-wing? I nearly spat my beer out when I read that!

olygirl 10.09.2021 21:26

Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GParker (Post 3347059)
No. TheLocManEd has responded to a number of posts on the reddit thread. I don't know how to send a direct link.

https://www.reddit.com/user/TheLocManEd/

Found it! They go on to say...


This question was posted to the Local Editor by RambleOn79

vor 9 Stunden
Quote:

Then why did you remove the moderators who were trying to combat misinformation? Without telling them?
And this was the answer by: TheLocManEd

vor 6 Stunden
Quote:

Not sure what happened previously but we'll work to sort it out. We want the forum to be a useful resource not a haven for people pushing fake news and arguing and abusing people who disagree.
So it took a thread on Reddit before they finally took notice.

schoggiweggli 10.09.2021 21:32

Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit
 
Considering there are 10’s of thousands of forums, all with their own COVid threads, all with their own ‘anti-vaxxers’ and alternative thinkers, I can only assume EF is being highlighted by the previously removed mods (so out of spite), or by a current/ex member who doesn’t like the fact this is now a free thinking forum where all views are welcome, providing they are at least somewhat tangible.

The thread ‘my mum is Sophia Loren and my dad is President Tito’ is actually a very good example of just what a good bunch of people we are (in general).
Can you imagine that one on Reddit?

GParker 10.09.2021 21:35

Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit
 
Quote:

So it took a thread on Reddit before they finally took notice.
Quite incredible really.

olygirl 10.09.2021 21:37

Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GParker (Post 3347067)
Quite incredible really.

Disappointing to say the least. I guess they only respond to posts outside of EF.

Loz 10.09.2021 21:46

Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit
 
What a kindergarten. So a few butthurt members/former members want their friends back. Love the #hopenothate tactics, scream as loud as you can in order to try and get someone/something cancelled.

Anyway, two can play at that game folks, the email address is:

ben.mcpartland@thelocal.com

Let him know how good this place is!

p.s. LOL@Ouchboy "I don't like FMF" :msncry:

schoggiweggli 10.09.2021 21:47

Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by olygirl (Post 3347068)
Disappointing to say the least.

So what’s your gripe exactly?

V__ 10.09.2021 21:51

Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit
 
TC must be the first double vaxxed antivax EF member lol

It's so funny to read most of the posters there telling OP to jog on, we are not North Korea

It's quite sad to bash EF as covid misinformation place just because you got demoded

FairDinkum 10.09.2021 21:57

Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit
 
Interesting.

Grown up people are talking about health,sex,politics,art,food,fashion......... and this is a problem ?


Meaning, if we all sit now together in a pub and we talk, fight, argue, kiss or whatever on some topic ... Someone else can go and complain of how some people over there are just talking ? :p:p:p

Are we soon going to be chipped so if you evoke some non-desirable topics or thoughts you receive some electrical charge to remind you to shut up or what ??
:msngrin::msngrin::msngrin:

GParker 10.09.2021 21:57

Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by schoggiweggli (Post 3347075)
So what’s your gripe exactly?

Can't speak for OilyGirl but my gripe is TheLocal needed to make public interventions right here, in a good number of threads. An announcement about all the mod hoohaa in particular yet total silence. 1 thread on Reddit and they are all over it like flies on a big, steaming, turd loaf.

komsomolez 10.09.2021 21:58

Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit
 
The Reddit sucks, and taking this issue there is sour grapes. That said, the Corona thread here has become a weird echo chamber.

olygirl 10.09.2021 21:59

Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by schoggiweggli (Post 3347075)
So what’s your gripe exactly?

I've never been comfortable with the swing towards the right that this forum took after the previous mods had been fired. It doesn't feel like a "free-thinking" forum anymore but more of a newfound home for right-thinking bullies who revel in supporting each other and attacking those who think otherwise. In all the years I've been here, I've never seen EF take on this kind of extreme atmosphere before.

Having said that, I think individually many of you would be lovely to meet in real life.

TonyClifton 10.09.2021 22:01

Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by olygirl (Post 3347081)
I've never been comfortable with the swing towards the right that this forum took after the previous mods had been fired. It doesn't feel like a "free-thinking" forum anymore but more of a newfound home for right-thinking bullies who revel in supporting each other and attacking those who think otherwise. In all the years I've been here, I've never seen EF take on this kind of extreme atmosphere before.

Having said that, I think individually many of you would be lovely to meet in real life.

What swing to the right? What bullies? Seriously? Examples?

Disagreeing with someone doesn't make them far right, nor does it make them a bully. And by the way, this forum was a hot bed of bullying before the changes were made, enabled by the previous moderators.

olygirl 10.09.2021 22:04

Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyClifton (Post 3347082)
What swing to the right? What bullies? Seriously? Examples?

Disagreeing with someone doesn't make them far right, not does it make them a bully.

I agree with the below statement by a Local editor:

Quote:

We want the forum to be a useful resource not a haven for people pushing fake news and arguing and abusing people who disagree

RufusB 10.09.2021 22:06

Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyClifton (Post 3347082)
What swing to the right? What bullies? Seriously? Examples?

Disagreeing with someone doesn't make them far right, nor does it make them a bully. And by the way, this forum was a hot bed of bullying before the changes were made, enabled by the previous moderators.

Potato, tomato. It still is however, only now enabled by different moderators.

It's allllll the way over to the right and practically out the other side.

TonyClifton 10.09.2021 22:10

Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RufusB (Post 3347084)
Potato, tomato. It still is however, only now enabled by different moderators.

It's allllll the way over to the right and practically out the other side.

I think the telling sign is Chuff is still able to spout his aggressive, dimwitted cr*p without any censorship from the new moderation team. I'm fine with that as it proves that they're better than the last lot.

My2pups 10.09.2021 22:12

Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit
 
If this image makes me laugh uncontrollably, does that make me a bad person...

Quote:

Originally Posted by GParker (Post 3347079)
Can't speak for OilyGirl but my gripe is TheLocal needed to make public interventions right here, in a good number of threads. An announcement about all the mod hoohaa in particular yet total silence. 1 thread on Reddit and they are all over it like flies on a big, steaming, turd loaf.


HickvonFrick 10.09.2021 22:13

Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit
 
I generally take the view that being a moderator is a thankless job and going after them is pretty low.

I think they all (past and present) did / do a decent job and tried their best. I was sad to see Ace1 leave, but equally think FMF is doing a good job.

olygirl 10.09.2021 22:16

Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyClifton (Post 3347085)
I think the telling sign is Chuff is still able to spout his aggressive, dimwitted cr*p without any censorship from the new moderation team. I'm fine with that as it proves that they're better than the last lot.

So many posters have left EF and the few like-minded posters that still remain just don't have the energy or motivation to stand up to the posters spouting misinformation and negativity that can now be found in many of EF's threads.

Here's hoping (although it's just a shimmer) that the Local will actually keep their word.

My2pups 10.09.2021 22:16

Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit
 
I agree with this statement, as well. However, I think a significant % of members don't realize which side they are on...

Quote:

Originally Posted by olygirl (Post 3347083)
I agree with the below statement by a Local editor:

Quote:

We want the forum to be a useful resource not a haven for people pushing fake news and arguing and abusing people who disagree

FairDinkum 10.09.2021 22:17

Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit
 
Susie-Q is very active on reddit and maybe there are other reddit active members here so they want to stir the pot :)

How meticulously that post on reddit is done I'm so impressed.. with links one after the other, the author trying to shock the readers and ask for their help :o

like> "please guys help me they wrote bad things about covid" :confused::o

My2pups 10.09.2021 22:18

Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit
 
OPs account suspended by Reddit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FairDinkum (Post 3347093)
Susie-Q is very active on reddit and maybe there are other reddit active members here so they want to stir the pot :)

How meticulously that post on reddit is done I'm so impressed.. with links one after the other, the author trying to shock the readers and ask for their help :o

like> "please guys help me they wrote bad things about covid" :confused::o


schoggiweggli 10.09.2021 22:18

Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyClifton (Post 3347082)
What swing to the right? What bullies? Seriously? Examples?

Disagreeing with someone doesn't make them far right, nor does it make them a bully. And by the way, this forum was a hot bed of bullying before the changes were made, enabled by the previous moderators.

Summed up perfectly.

TonyClifton 10.09.2021 22:20

Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by olygirl (Post 3347091)
So many posters have left EF and the few like-minded posters that still remain just don't have the energy or motivation to stand up to the posters spouting misinformation and negativity that can now be found in many of EF's threads.

Here's hoping (although it's just a shimmer) that the Local will actually keep their word.

And a load left under the previous mod team, because the bullying was just out of control! I got banned for "spreading misinformation" until the Local investigated and found it was completely untrue. Finding out today that I've been having my name smeared on a Reddit thread with posts being quoted out of context is really not on!

olygirl 10.09.2021 22:21

Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyClifton (Post 3347097)
And a load left under the previous mod team, because the bullying was just out of control! I got banned for "spreading misinformation" until the Local investigated and found it was completely untrue. Finding out today that I've been having my name smeared on a Reddit thread with posts being quoted out of context is really not on!

Got any evidence to support that claim?

RufusB 10.09.2021 22:23

Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyClifton (Post 3347085)
I think the telling sign is Chuff is still able to spout his aggressive, dimwitted cr*p without any censorship from the new moderation team. I'm fine with that as it proves that they're better than the last lot.

So it should be aggression and sniping all round? This, above, is a personal attack.

Whatever happened to debate the post not the poster? That seems very much to have fallen by the wayside.

TonyClifton 10.09.2021 22:25

Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by olygirl (Post 3347098)
Got any evidence to support that claim?

I wouldn't be here today if not, I had to write to the Local to get my ban removed because the previous moderators figured having a differing opinion was spreading misinformation.

marton 10.09.2021 22:25

Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyClifton (Post 3347097)
And a load left under the previous mod team, because the bullying was just out of control! I got banned for "spreading misinformation" until the Local investigated and found it was completely untrue. Finding out today that I've been having my name smeared on a Reddit thread with posts being quoted out of context is really not on!

Your name? Is that your real name?

mike_n 10.09.2021 22:26

Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FairDinkum (Post 3347093)
Susie-Q is very active on reddit and maybe there are other reddit active members here so they want to stir the pot :)

How meticulously that post on reddit is done I'm so impressed.. with links one after the other, the author trying to shock the readers and ask for their help :o

like> "please guys help me they wrote bad things about covid" :confused::o


The account seems to be currently suspended, so all the links for nothing. What's really impressing, is that there are some butthurt snowflakes considering that having a different opinion makes you a criminal worth censoring. I agree, it might be one of the usual suspects - search after statements like "ban them", "put them in jail", "fire them" on EF.

marton 10.09.2021 22:31

Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by vushka (Post 3347045)
Who started the reddit thread?

My moneys on Chuff or Pancake :D

The Reddit OP has been there for some time and started a number of other threads; none of which read like from Chuff or Pancake or the ex mods - in fact, I was not able to match to any well-known EF member.

Maybe FMF is trying to engineer his escape :rofl:

HickvonFrick 10.09.2021 22:32

Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit
 
It's probably best to treat Covid with a degree of leniency both ways as it's very emotive in society in general. I had a long chat with a Swiss neighbour who is very upset with the government (and is not an antivaxxer).

We've seen countries take questionable decisions both ways (Spain's mask outside, some US states opening very early).

So if they can get it wrong, why can't a humble poster.

Obviously anyone making soros / gates / nanorobots conspiracy theories is beyond the pale, but can't we have some respect, in both directions for opinions that differ from one's own. Lots of eminent scientists have by their own admission got lots wrong. That's unsurprising when you are dealing with something new.

Tolerance everyone - tolerance

RufusB 10.09.2021 22:32

Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyClifton (Post 3347101)
I wouldn't be here today if not, I had to write to the Local to get my ban removed because the previous moderators figured having a differing opinion was spreading misinformation.

As do some current moderators.

otec 10.09.2021 22:34

Re: EF is being discussed on Reddit
 
Covid is yet another LGBTQIA+ topic - untouchable in the western world.

If EF was hosted in China/Arab land/Russia - no one would give a single fuickie.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:34.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0