Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 21.08.2008, 15:15
Sutter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 5,799
Groaned at 68 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,605 Posts
Sutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond repute
School timetable is terrible don`t know if i am coming or going

Ok my daughter started school last week, and my son KG, and i feel all i am doing is looking at my watch to see where i have to be, or who as to be where, or who will be coming home. Here is my kids timetables.

Daughter

Monday 8.15 until 10.50 then 13.45 until 15.15
Tuesday 9.00 until 11.35 then 13.45 until 15.15
Wednesday 9.00 until 11.35 then free
Thursday 7.30 until 10.50 then free
Friday 7.30 until 9.45 then 13.45 until 15.15

Son

Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday All the same time 8.30 until 11.30 then free
Thursday 8.30 until 10.45 then 13.45 until 15.15
Friday 8.30 until 10.45 then free

They both have to be there 10 minutes earlier my daughter as about 25 minutes to walk, and my son as about 10 miuntes to walk.

I am running around like an headless chicken, does anybody else have timetables like my daughter, i am schocked for the 1st class to have such a late start on 1 day, and then the next so early she as no sleeping pattern as i am not going to get her up ar 6.15am every morning so she can be at school at 9am that is not fair to her

If i go to the school does anybody think it will make a difference, and they would change it from 7.30 until 8.30.

Thanks
__________________
Smile it is another day
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 21.08.2008, 15:17
tomcat's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Stewdguard, Germany
Posts: 2,051
Groaned at 45 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 929 Times in 609 Posts
tomcat has a reputation beyond reputetomcat has a reputation beyond reputetomcat has a reputation beyond reputetomcat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: School timetable is terrible don`t know if i am coming or going

This is the standard for our school system in Gemeinde Maur as well.

Nothing is coordinated. Everything is done to make sure the Swiss Miss stays at home ... and even that is made more challenging by the shifting schedules.

Edit: The teachers, when asked about coordination, shrugged and agreed that it sucked and there was nothing that could be done about it.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank tomcat for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 21.08.2008, 15:28
Sutter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 5,799
Groaned at 68 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,605 Posts
Sutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: School timetable is terrible don`t know if i am coming or going

Quote:
View Post
This is the standard for our school system in Gemeinde Maur as well.

Nothing is coordinated. Everything is done to make sure the Swiss Miss stays at home ... and even that is made more challenging by the shifting schedules.

Edit: The teachers, when asked about coordination, shrugged and agreed that it sucked and there was nothing that could be done about it.
I fully agree in England i used to go to school at 9am, and finish at 3.15 so the mummy`s could go to work
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 22.08.2008, 00:44
Mrs. Doolittle's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lugano
Posts: 6,604
Groaned at 129 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 8,067 Times in 3,753 Posts
Mrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: School timetable is terrible don`t know if i am coming or going

Quote:
View Post
I fully agree in England i used to go to school at 9am, and finish at 3.15 so the mummy`s could go to work

Sutter, you must have figured out by now that work is a 4 letter word for a mum here. You are meant to stay at home and keep to a precise schedule with the help of a Swiss watch. You are supposed to be up before the sun comes up, and your kids are expected to have a hot lunch. I had the teacher calling me asking me why our kids didn't have a hot lunch (she knew I went to work) so in the morning the kids had oatmeal for breakfast and I made sure they told the teacher so, and explained to her that our kids preferred eating sandwiches for lunch which they made themselves which I informed the teacher taught them how to be independent. She was speechless.

The best advice I can offer you to give you some relief is to organize something with some other mums where your daughter or son might go to a friend's house after school for lunch, and then you reciprocate. This gives each mom a bit of a break.

From what I recall, the school schedule for our kids was more consistent, but we had Saturday school at the time (better be careful here...don't want my age showing)

If you are not a morning person, you are going to struggle. Somehow the kids had little trouble getting up early, even on dark winter mornings.

Good luck, I am sure you will get used to what seems like chaos.
__________________

Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Mrs. Doolittle for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 22.08.2008, 07:13
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: School timetable is terrible don`t know if i am coming or going

Has anyone seen a justification ? A good place to start methinks.

dave
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 22.08.2008, 09:35
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Solothurn
Posts: 727
Groaned at 88 Times in 55 Posts
Thanked 650 Times in 327 Posts
Enaj has a reputation beyond reputeEnaj has a reputation beyond reputeEnaj has a reputation beyond reputeEnaj has a reputation beyond reputeEnaj has a reputation beyond repute
Re: School timetable is terrible don`t know if i am coming or going

Quote:
View Post
Has anyone seen a justification ? A good place to start methinks.

dave
Sometimes in the early school years the teacher divides the class into two groups and teaches the first group, for example, from 8-10 a.m. and the second group from 10-12 midday. Theory is that each child gets more individual attention and teacher gets more time to listen to readers.

Second theory is that young children only have a limited time span of concentration before becoming restless and disturbing the rest of the class.

N.B. Teachers always argue that their duty is ONLY to teach i.e. pass on information and not "Erziehung" and so send the children home to be "erzogen".

My experience was that the school system was arranged for the convenience of the teachers rather than the pupils or parents.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 22.08.2008, 09:53
Nathu's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,521
Groaned at 18 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,248 Posts
Nathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: School timetable is terrible don`t know if i am coming or going

Quote:
View Post
Has anyone seen a justification ? A good place to start methinks.

dave
When I started elementary school, the class was divided in two halves that came separately to school in the mornings. But I'm not sure how common that is nowadays. Still it's just over 20 lessons per week for the first grade which might contribute to these timetables. You have to fill nine half-days a week with that.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 22.08.2008, 09:44
Sutter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 5,799
Groaned at 68 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,605 Posts
Sutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: School timetable is terrible don`t know if i am coming or going

Quote:
View Post
Sutter, you must have figured out by now that work is a 4 letter word for a mum here. You are meant to stay at home and keep to a precise schedule with the help of a Swiss watch. You are supposed to be up before the sun comes up, and your kids are expected to have a hot lunch. I had the teacher calling me asking me why our kids didn't have a hot lunch (she knew I went to work) so in the morning the kids had oatmeal for breakfast and I made sure they told the teacher so, and explained to her that our kids preferred eating sandwiches for lunch which they made themselves which I informed the teacher taught them how to be independent. She was speechless.

The best advice I can offer you to give you some relief is to organize something with some other mums where your daughter or son might go to a friend's house after school for lunch, and then you reciprocate. This gives each mom a bit of a break.

From what I recall, the school schedule for our kids was more consistent, but we had Saturday school at the time (better be careful here...don't want my age showing)

If you are not a morning person, you are going to struggle. Somehow the kids had little trouble getting up early, even on dark winter mornings.

Good luck, I am sure you will get used to what seems like chaos.
Thanks i never was a morning person i used to like to stay up late, and watch a good movie, now i feel like a grandma going to bed early, (ok not everynight). I have made arrangements with other mummys, but it still is very stressful, trying to cope with the 2 timetables.

Why oh why can it not be like back in the UK
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 22.08.2008, 13:13
nickatbasel's Avatar
Mod, Chips and Mushy Peas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Albisrieden
Posts: 5,420
Groaned at 167 Times in 104 Posts
Thanked 8,661 Times in 3,210 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: School timetable is terrible don`t know if i am coming or going

Quote:
View Post
I had the teacher calling me asking me why our kids didn't have a hot lunch.
Erm, what business is this of the teacher's exactly? I would have explained that in the Anglo Saxon world, it is entirely normal to have a small midday meal and a substantial meal in the evening. After all, she doesn't want kids nodding off in the middle of afternoon classes.

Cheers,
Nick
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank nickatbasel for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 21.08.2008, 15:18
Lou's Avatar
Lou Lou is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,778
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 3,227 Times in 1,474 Posts
Lou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond repute
Re: School timetable is terrible don`t know if i am coming or going

Start a campaign for block times like we have in Kanton Zurich. Makes life so much easier when the kids start & finish at the same time each day.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Lou for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 21.08.2008, 15:26
Sutter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 5,799
Groaned at 68 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,605 Posts
Sutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: School timetable is terrible don`t know if i am coming or going

Quote:
View Post
Start a campaign for block times like we have in Kanton Zurich. Makes life so much easier when the kids start & finish at the same time each day.
Good idea, as i have spoken to some other mummys, and they are all upset with the timetable i mean starting at 7.30 then finishing at 9.45 WHAT IS THAT ABOUT.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 21.08.2008, 15:30
tomcat's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Stewdguard, Germany
Posts: 2,051
Groaned at 45 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 929 Times in 609 Posts
tomcat has a reputation beyond reputetomcat has a reputation beyond reputetomcat has a reputation beyond reputetomcat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: School timetable is terrible don`t know if i am coming or going

Quote:
View Post
Start a campaign for block times like we have in Kanton Zurich. Makes life so much easier when the kids start & finish at the same time each day.
Must be a different Kanton Zurich than the one I am living in.



maybe it's more city / Gemeinde / school system specific?

Kantönligeist rules!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 21.08.2008, 15:36
swisscath's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: adliswil
Posts: 529
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 689 Times in 307 Posts
swisscath has a reputation beyond reputeswisscath has a reputation beyond reputeswisscath has a reputation beyond reputeswisscath has a reputation beyond repute
Re: School timetable is terrible don`t know if i am coming or going

Quote:
View Post
Must be a different Kanton Zurich than the one I am living in. maybe it's more city / Gemeinde / school system specific?

Kantönligeist rules!

My kids hours are varied too. Thankfully not as bad as they were when they first started. I'd come home after shopping and find one of them sitting on the doorstep coz I'd forget what time they'd finish etc. It's really hard work getting it all coordinated. Feel for you Sutter, those are crappy hours.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank swisscath for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 21.08.2008, 15:43
Lou's Avatar
Lou Lou is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,778
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 3,227 Times in 1,474 Posts
Lou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond repute
Re: School timetable is terrible don`t know if i am coming or going

I had thought it was the whole of Kanton Zurich that changed to block times. Still happy to have block times where I live .

Quote:
View Post
Must be a different Kanton Zurich than the one I am living in.



maybe it's more city / Gemeinde / school system specific?

Kantönligeist rules!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 21.08.2008, 15:47
Sutter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 5,799
Groaned at 68 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,605 Posts
Sutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: School timetable is terrible don`t know if i am coming or going

Quote:
View Post
I had thought it was the whole of Kanton Zurich that changed to block times. Still happy to have block times where I live .
You are so lucky, my friend moved to another village only 15 minutes drive away, and her daughter as block times so why not this school
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 16.11.2010, 10:47
Bobby.Buchi's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Menzingen
Posts: 418
Groaned at 17 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 182 Times in 94 Posts
Bobby.Buchi is considered knowledgeableBobby.Buchi is considered knowledgeableBobby.Buchi is considered knowledgeable
Re: School timetable is terrible don`t know if i am coming or going

I feel for you, Sutter. The last two years my daughter seemed to go to school different times each day, I just couldn't keep up. Thankfully this year it's 8 to 5 every day and although her days are long, it's at least more structured and we don't need timetables on the fridge anymore.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Bobby.Buchi for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 16.11.2010, 13:00
nomad66's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Zurich / Down Under
Posts: 222
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 110 Times in 66 Posts
nomad66 has made some interesting contributions
Re: School timetable is terrible don`t know if i am coming or going

@inWinti: Amen.

Add to that the kids have to walk home for lunch and then walk back. It just shatters the whole day itty-bitty blocks of time, which is very difficult to be productive in.

I have also brought this up at the local authorities in my town, and they finally agreed to make it consitent - but in 2+ years Apparently they have already published the school schedule for 2 years, and it can no longer be changed.

They are also going to be building a "KinderZentrum" where the kids can come for lunch (for a minimal fee, supported by the gemeinde), and then go back to school. Many other parents also felt the same way, I guess . . .

I feel ur pain.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank nomad66 for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 21.08.2008, 15:25
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: School timetable is terrible don`t know if i am coming or going

"Dear Teach,

I am frankly amazed by the school timetable that I have just received. The seemingly random start and end times seem designed to confuse and are plainly stupid. What purpose do they serve ? The school is supposed to be providing a service to our community of routine and discipline, not offering Kafkaque schedules to confuse.

Please be advised I will be sending my children to school based on the phase of the moon as from next week, as it has as much relevance and will act as a better frame of reference than you are offering.

If you are in need of an alarm clock to keep you regular and help you maintain a steady timetable, we can have collection to buy one for you.

love Sutter"

dave

Quote:
View Post
Ok my daughter started school last week, and my son KG, and i feel all i am doing is looking at my watch to see where i have to be, or who as to be where, or who will be coming home. Here is my kids timetables.

Daughter

Monday 8.15 until 10.50 then 13.45 until 15.15
Tuesday 9.00 until 11.35 then 13.45 until 15.15
Wednesday 9.00 until 11.35 then free
Thursday 7.30 until 10.50 then free
Friday 7.30 until 9.45 then 13.45 until 15.15

Son

Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday All the same time 8.30 until 11.30 then free
Thursday 8.30 until 10.45 then 13.45 until 15.15
Friday 8.30 until 10.45 then free

They both have to be there 10 minutes earlier my daughter as about 25 minutes to walk, and my son as about 10 miuntes to walk.

I am running around like an headless chicken, does anybody else have timetables like my daughter, i am schocked for the 1st class to have such a late start on 1 day, and then the next so early she as no sleeping pattern as i am not going to get her up ar 6.15am every morning so she can be at school at 9am that is not fair to her

If i go to the school does anybody think it will make a difference, and they would change it from 7.30 until 8.30.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 21.08.2008, 15:30
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ch
Posts: 2,287
Groaned at 34 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 1,623 Times in 836 Posts
gooner has a reputation beyond reputegooner has a reputation beyond reputegooner has a reputation beyond reputegooner has a reputation beyond reputegooner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: School timetable is terrible don`t know if i am coming or going

Quote:
View Post
<snip>
...Please be advised I will be sending my children to school based on the phase of the moon as from next week, as it has as much relevance and will act as a better frame of reference than you are offering.
<snip>

dave

Are they going to a Rudolf Steiner with the rest of the Anthroposophists? If so, he might just have to follow a lunar calendar and bury cow horns on the way to school.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank gooner for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 21.08.2008, 15:33
Sutter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 5,799
Groaned at 68 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,605 Posts
Sutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: School timetable is terrible don`t know if i am coming or going

Quote:
View Post
"Dear Teach,

I am frankly amazed by the school timetable that I have just received. The seemingly random start and end times seem designed to confuse and are plainly stupid. What purpose do they serve ? The school is supposed to be providing a service to our community of routine and discipline, not offering Kafkaque schedules to confuse.

Please be advised I will be sending my children to school based on the phase of the moon as from next week, as it has as much relevance and will act as a better frame of reference than you are offering.

If you are in need of an alarm clock to keep you regular and help you maintain a steady timetable, we can have collection to buy one for you.

love Sutter"

dave
Thanks for nothing Dave, i start a thread, for help, and as per usual your post is not very helpful.

I want my Daughter to have a proper sleep routine instead of 1 day she as to be up at 6.15am, and another at 7.45am

Thanks to the other HELPFUL posts
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Repertoire of terrible jokes [I challenge you] swisscath Jokes/funnies 3073 26.07.2022 02:41
I think I may be making a terrible mistake !! gypsy21 Daily life 66 26.04.2007 23:09
Why don’t some houses sell? Termite Other/general 14 16.01.2007 12:35


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0