Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11.11.2008, 13:07
sabs's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: zurich
Posts: 160
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 20 Times in 16 Posts
sabs has no particular reputation at present
feeling frustrated

My job is ****ing me off, my coworkers are always angry about nothing, yelling about things out of peoples control it is driving me insane, plus the yelling makes me very jumpy even when its quiet and someone moves. I want and need a postive work enviroment. I want to quit but my realtives think it will be hard to find another job, I do speak german so I can do a service job with out a problem. To top it off my roommate decided she wants to find her own place, and now I have to decide if I want to take over are place or move. I am feeling so stressed my shoulders are so tight from all the stress that they hurt and I just want to lay in my bed crying from the pain.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11.11.2008, 13:10
Macchiato's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 732
Groaned at 22 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Macchiato is considered knowledgeableMacchiato is considered knowledgeableMacchiato is considered knowledgeable
Re: feeling frustrated

Quote:
View Post
My job is ****ing me off, my coworkers are always angry about nothing, yelling about things out of peoples control it is driving me insane, plus the yelling makes me very jumpy even when its quiet and someone moves. I want and need a postive work enviroment. I want to quit but my realtives think it will be hard to find another job, I do speak german so I can do a service job with out a problem. To top it off my roommate decided she wants to find her own place, and now I have to decide if I want to take over are place or move. I am feeling so stressed my shoulders are so tight from all the stress that they hurt and I just want to lay in my bed crying from the pain.
I though Yoga, takes all stresses away!

Take it easy and go have fun for a few days, and decide afterward.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11.11.2008, 13:18
TheWolverine's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,497
Groaned at 13 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,378 Times in 688 Posts
TheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond repute
Re: feeling frustrated

Quote:
View Post
My job is ****ing me off, my coworkers are always angry about nothing, yelling about things out of peoples control it is driving me insane, plus the yelling makes me very jumpy even when its quiet and someone moves. I want and need a postive work enviroment. I want to quit but my realtives think it will be hard to find another job, I do speak german so I can do a service job with out a problem. To top it off my roommate decided she wants to find her own place, and now I have to decide if I want to take over are place or move. I am feeling so stressed my shoulders are so tight from all the stress that they hurt and I just want to lay in my bed crying from the pain.
Sounds like you need a break. Take a few days off and spend the time doing something you really enjoy. It will help you unwind. Works for me everytime.

Best of luck, hope you feel better.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11.11.2008, 13:59
martin34's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Niederglatt
Posts: 715
Groaned at 39 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 304 Times in 185 Posts
martin34 has earned the respect of manymartin34 has earned the respect of manymartin34 has earned the respect of many
Re: feeling frustrated

Hi

I go walking for 30 minutes every day I really find it helps me to relax and forget about my problems.

Have you told your work colleagues that their yelling bothers you?

If you do resign the job situation is not critical at the moment but it might get worse in the near future.

Good luck I am sure things will get better. Life usually is like that, one week one feels down and then the next something positive happens (even something small) and one's outlook changes completely.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11.11.2008, 14:00
sabs's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: zurich
Posts: 160
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 20 Times in 16 Posts
sabs has no particular reputation at present
Re: feeling frustrated

been doing Yoga for the last 5years, sadly I took a little break and now I'm struggling my way back into it (don't like the studios in zurich, so practicing at home)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11.11.2008, 14:37
pink pompom's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Wallisellen, Zürich
Posts: 177
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 69 Times in 54 Posts
pink pompom has made some interesting contributions
Re: feeling frustrated

hi there

all of us feel something like that once in a while, as suggested by people yoga is great and i would suggest get a good music cd may be something for yoga or the mantras one and play in the evening, it makes you feel very positive and tell yourself it will pass and this phase is passing.
hope this helps.
best of luck
pink pompom
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11.11.2008, 14:47
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: OOO
Posts: 3,728
Groaned at 79 Times in 55 Posts
Thanked 1,683 Times in 1,017 Posts
Sada has a reputation beyond reputeSada has a reputation beyond reputeSada has a reputation beyond reputeSada has a reputation beyond reputeSada has a reputation beyond reputeSada has a reputation beyond repute
Re: feeling frustrated

Hey sabs, I've had many such phases and survived them all !!! You didn't say one swear word here in your few words ... whoa, amazing !!! Cry, let it all out !!!
And do you know what ? There must be something better for you around the corner !!! ...


Quote:
View Post
My job is ****ing me off, my coworkers are always angry about nothing, yelling about things out of peoples control it is driving me insane, plus the yelling makes me very jumpy even when its quiet and someone moves. I want and need a postive work enviroment. I want to quit but my realtives think it will be hard to find another job, I do speak german so I can do a service job with out a problem. To top it off my roommate decided she wants to find her own place, and now I have to decide if I want to take over are place or move. I am feeling so stressed my shoulders are so tight from all the stress that they hurt and I just want to lay in my bed crying from the pain.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11.11.2008, 14:52
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: feeling frustrated

Quote:
View Post
hi there

all of us feel something like that once in a while, as suggested by people yoga is great and i would suggest get a good music cd may be something for yoga or the mantras one and play in the evening, it makes you feel very positive and tell yourself it will pass and this phase is passing.
hope this helps.
best of luck
pink pompom
To combine this with Sabs original problem, if it is allowed in her office, she could have an MP3 on which might drown out the shrieks of her office colleagues.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11.11.2008, 15:00
tomcat's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Stewdguard, Germany
Posts: 2,051
Groaned at 45 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 929 Times in 609 Posts
tomcat has a reputation beyond reputetomcat has a reputation beyond reputetomcat has a reputation beyond reputetomcat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: feeling frustrated

I am following the MP3 / noise-cancelling headphone route right now to drone out the annoying boss / desk neighbor and his loud phone calls.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11.11.2008, 15:02
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CH
Posts: 944
Groaned at 26 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 433 Times in 275 Posts
raincookie has a reputation beyond reputeraincookie has a reputation beyond reputeraincookie has a reputation beyond reputeraincookie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: feeling frustrated

If at all possible and viable, change jobs as soon as you can.
It sounds like a horrendous working environment which will eventually burn you out.
Life is too short for all that.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11.11.2008, 20:44
muze7's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Uk now after Neuchatel
Posts: 1,225
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 148 Times in 94 Posts
muze7 is considered knowledgeablemuze7 is considered knowledgeablemuze7 is considered knowledgeable
Re: feeling frustrated

Yes, all good advice. If your shoulders hurt, try swimming (you can also join a course). If you swim on your back, your pain will disappear permanently after a while (if you swim once a week). No kidding. This was recommended by a physiotherapist and has worked every time, even during extreme stress.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11.11.2008, 23:04
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 8,447
Groaned at 109 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 6,073 Times in 3,404 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: feeling frustrated

I was in similar shoes back in SA two years ago so I can only vaguely try to imagine it how it feels here in Switzerland, if I may. But it was similar case scenario, I was getting fed up with my job, people were getting on my nerves and vice versa. Moreover, my private life with ex-fiancè went bust and we were not getting along either. The pressure was mounting, Basically all the negative stuff was aggravating at the same time as Murphy's Law has it! To make the things worst I didn't have holidays for a long time and I was loosing my tamper with constant lack of relaxation! I just tried to survive till Christmas and then took a long holidays for decision making. In result I changed the job, benefited more from having broken up with my ex. Holidays and rest helped me to open up my eyes and view the things differently. Needless to say I emerged and started floating again. With the time things got better and better. Now I must say I am few more experiences richer and my skin grew thicker. Life got better again. Give it a good thought, take your precious time for decision making and surely something positive will come up! Good luck
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank jacek for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 11.11.2008, 23:09
PlantHead's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 1,693
Groaned at 65 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,015 Posts
PlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond repute
Re: feeling frustrated

I recommend beer...its a great de-stressant.
Drink beer at work then utilise your new confidence and additional learyness to have a bloody good go at your work colleagues...for an added bonus get so drunk you don't remember doing it, then you have no need to feel embarrassed.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank PlantHead for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 11.11.2008, 23:18
smackerjack's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.K/VAUD
Posts: 2,184
Groaned at 14 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 2,502 Times in 1,062 Posts
smackerjack has a reputation beyond reputesmackerjack has a reputation beyond reputesmackerjack has a reputation beyond reputesmackerjack has a reputation beyond reputesmackerjack has a reputation beyond repute
Re: feeling frustrated

As Muze pointed out swimming is excellent. When I felt like you I started to have acupuncture and have is every three weeks. I find if I have it less the feelings return. Life can be a real rollercoaster and you are obviously on a down journey. I am sure that you will be on the up soon.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11.11.2008, 23:25
Lynn88's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: TI
Posts: 681
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 274 Times in 173 Posts
Lynn88 has an excellent reputationLynn88 has an excellent reputationLynn88 has an excellent reputationLynn88 has an excellent reputation
Re: feeling frustrated

Sabs, some St. John's Wort will help you get through this difficult time.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12.11.2008, 16:42
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CH
Posts: 944
Groaned at 26 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 433 Times in 275 Posts
raincookie has a reputation beyond reputeraincookie has a reputation beyond reputeraincookie has a reputation beyond reputeraincookie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: feeling frustrated

At the moment, I also feel pretty bad.

There's stress in my new job (though that's the least of my worries), stress with husband because he has stress in his job, stress with teenage daughter at school (boys, homework, housework), stress from PIL with their demands on us.......
And the worst thing is that every day here in the Oberaargau is grey and foggy, the only relief is ......actually, I don't know, as I'm often too tired to go out in the evenings and stayed in the whole of last weekend.
Even drinking wine has just given me headaches recently and made me even more sleepy.
Now there's even stress on the EF!!
What are things coming to??
In England, it always seemed somehow that you could have a laugh if things were a bit difficult; somehow things never seemed so serious there, whereas here..........
There doesn't seem to be a light side to life in Switzerland -work, more work,
talking about work, politics, meetings, talking about politics, and after all these years here, it's beginning to get to me.
I feel frazzled!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12.11.2008, 16:59
Starbug's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bern
Posts: 699
Groaned at 11 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 281 Times in 162 Posts
Starbug has earned some respectStarbug has earned some respect
Re: feeling frustrated

Can you talk to your boss or or your co-workers about the situation at all? I was in a similar boat a few years ago and I found that my boss was really helpful in sorting it out. Could it be that there is general dissatisfaction abounds with the job in question and everyone is just falling off the rails? It is not nice to work in such an enviornment, if it really cannot be solved, you'd be right to change jobs if you can.
Do something really nice for yourself - go to a spa, have a "me only" weekend, splurge on something luxurious. Yoga can help too, though I find doing something really physical helps against stress too, I am not knocking yoga, it is excellent for stress relief, but I find that taking a run, or long swim or even a hard bike ride helps too.
I really feel for you, it seems that when things go belly up they can't just happen one at a time, it's always all at once. Try not to throw moving into your life too right now, if possible, that'll just make things worse. If possible, I would think it might be better to get the roommate issue sorted out when it's really clear if she's moving out for sure.
__________________
A valuable but incomplete strand of thought...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12.11.2008, 17:28
sabs's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: zurich
Posts: 160
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 20 Times in 16 Posts
sabs has no particular reputation at present
Re: feeling frustrated

Quote:
View Post
Can you talk to your boss or or your co-workers about the situation at all? I was in a similar boat a few years ago and I found that my boss was really helpful in sorting it out. Could it be that there is general dissatisfaction abounds with the job in question and everyone is just falling off the rails? It is not nice to work in such an enviornment, if it really cannot be solved, you'd be right to change jobs if you can.
Do something really nice for yourself - go to a spa, have a "me only" weekend, splurge on something luxurious. Yoga can help too, though I find doing something really physical helps against stress too, I am not knocking yoga, it is excellent for stress relief, but I find that taking a run, or long swim or even a hard bike ride helps too.
I really feel for you, it seems that when things go belly up they can't just happen one at a time, it's always all at once. Try not to throw moving into your life too right now, if possible, that'll just make things worse. If possible, I would think it might be better to get the roommate issue sorted out when it's really clear if she's moving out for sure.
the roommate is definately moving out its just a matter of when, thats the stressful part, if she just came to me and said I am moving on this and this date it would of been much easier. As now I am worried its somehow going to hit on my trip home, in the way that I'll end up having to move the day I come home from holidays I'll have to move or something horrible like that (I get back March 31st and can just see her getting a place for april 1). I can't do anything about her moving I have to make the decision to move or not as quickly as I can.

As for work I already spoke to my boss, who has let the manager know that I am unhappy with my position, its just that my boss it leaving at the end of this month. So who knows how far that will all go, espeacilly since we don't have a replacement yet, and the office is moving too.......which also is unclear when.......
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12.11.2008, 17:30
sabs's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: zurich
Posts: 160
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 20 Times in 16 Posts
sabs has no particular reputation at present
Re: feeling frustrated

Quote:
View Post
At the moment, I also feel pretty bad.

There's stress in my new job (though that's the least of my worries), stress with husband because he has stress in his job, stress with teenage daughter at school (boys, homework, housework), stress from PIL with their demands on us.......
And the worst thing is that every day here in the Oberaargau is grey and foggy, the only relief is ......actually, I don't know, as I'm often too tired to go out in the evenings and stayed in the whole of last weekend.
Even drinking wine has just given me headaches recently and made me even more sleepy.
Now there's even stress on the EF!!
What are things coming to??
In England, it always seemed somehow that you could have a laugh if things were a bit difficult; somehow things never seemed so serious there, whereas here..........
There doesn't seem to be a light side to life in Switzerland -work, more work,
talking about work, politics, meetings, talking about politics, and after all these years here, it's beginning to get to me.
I feel frazzled!
Hey Raincookie,

Try not to be so frazzled. I have to agree here there never seems to be time to just let go, to forget about poltics and work and responibility. Glad I am not the only one overwhelmed.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank sabs for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 12.11.2008, 17:37
Starbug's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bern
Posts: 699
Groaned at 11 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 281 Times in 162 Posts
Starbug has earned some respectStarbug has earned some respect
Re: feeling frustrated

Quote:
View Post
the roommate is definately moving out its just a matter of when, thats the stressful part, if she just came to me and said I am moving on this and this date it would of been much easier. As now I am worried its somehow going to hit on my trip home, in the way that I'll end up having to move the day I come home from holidays I'll have to move or something horrible like that (I get back March 31st and can just see her getting a place for april 1). I can't do anything about her moving I have to make the decision to move or not as quickly as I can.

As for work I already spoke to my boss, who has let the manager know that I am unhappy with my position, its just that my boss it leaving at the end of this month. So who knows how far that will all go, espeacilly since we don't have a replacement yet, and the office is moving too.......which also is unclear when.......
Give your room mate an ultimatum - I had to do that with a room mate of mine who was dragging her feet (I am moving but I don't know when, for me it was clear that I wanted to keep the flat but as I needed to look for someone else, I needed a date. Not quite the same thing, I know.). Try and weigh out what the advantages are for you for staying in the flat, if any, and if you can't find any, then beat her to the punch and move out first.
Work wise, I hope things settle down, sounds like there is a lot of uncertainty.
__________________
A valuable but incomplete strand of thought...
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Feeling lonely? Here is a suggestion.. Swissaholic General off-topic 4 14.08.2008 03:42
Scot in lausanne feeling like giving up on la suisse ellie123 Daily life 11 09.08.2008 20:05


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:02.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0