Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 16.10.2009, 21:28
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 137
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 40 Times in 24 Posts
Powerlauer has no particular reputation at present
Creche complaint regarding staff references

Cutting a long story short, a friend of mine called the manager of a well known creche about a reference of one of their empolyees - (she is looking for help with her baby) she asked all the usual questions and if they checked her references when she started the job in March - they didn't check her references as she was the "girlfriend" of an employee.

I just found it really strange that in Creche they would not check references or police records or something when one is working with kids - or am I being a over protective mum? It is a reputable place but they have the care of children and I would have thought that there would have been some sort of systmn before employing someone to care for the kids (there are 2 in the creche at anytime).

But still, it bugs me! my friend at least is in the process of calling the other refrences - but should she complain to the creche? speak to the head to HR or something?

Thoughts please
  #2  
Old 16.10.2009, 21:33
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Near Luzern
Posts: 1,676
Groaned at 118 Times in 71 Posts
Thanked 2,194 Times in 965 Posts
Patxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Creche Complaint

I think that being a "girlfriend" of an employee is enough of a reference.

Police record search???
  #3  
Old 16.10.2009, 21:38
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 137
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 40 Times in 24 Posts
Powerlauer has no particular reputation at present
Re: Creche Complaint

Quote:
View Post
I think that being a "girlfriend" of an employee is enough of a reference.

Police record search???
Even to look after kids? its one thing to be a waitress but another to entrust your children to strangers -

Maybe I am being an over possesive mum - maybe I should ask my friend what the other reference turned out like....
  #4  
Old 16.10.2009, 21:43
Tilia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 2,765
Groaned at 81 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 2,649 Times in 1,194 Posts
Tilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Creche Complaint

Did your friend ask for permission to call the manager? References can only be given with the approval of the one being asked about.
  #5  
Old 16.10.2009, 21:44
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 8,730
Groaned at 257 Times in 210 Posts
Thanked 17,546 Times in 7,135 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Creche Complaint

Quote:
View Post
Even to look after kids? its one thing to be a waitress but another to entrust your children to strangers -

Maybe I am being an over possesive mum - maybe I should ask my friend what the other reference turned out like....
I think a full reference check and police clearance is perfectly reasonable. There has been such an outcry over paedophilia around the world that I'm surprised that childcare businesses in CH don't routinely clear their staff.

I believe it's a legal requirement in Australia to check that childcare workers are not on the paedophilia register before employing them. I may be wrong, but I remember hearing about this. Obviously we're talking about CH here, but the issues are the same.

Sad that the world has turned this way.
The following 2 users would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 16.10.2009, 21:47
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 137
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 40 Times in 24 Posts
Powerlauer has no particular reputation at present
Re: Creche Complaint

Quote:
View Post
Did your friend ask for permission to call the manager? References can only be given with the approval of the one being asked about.
The managers name and number was given as her reference as well as another 2 references.
  #7  
Old 20.10.2009, 11:13
L&F's Avatar
L&F L&F is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Blonay
Posts: 101
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 33 Times in 17 Posts
L&F has earned some respectL&F has earned some respect
Re: Creche Complaint

Quote:
View Post
I think a full reference check and police clearance is perfectly reasonable. There has been such an outcry over paedophilia around the world that I'm surprised that childcare businesses in CH don't routinely clear their staff.

I believe it's a legal requirement in Australia to check that childcare workers are not on the paedophilia register before employing them. I may be wrong, but I remember hearing about this. Obviously we're talking about CH here, but the issues are the same.

Sad that the world has turned this way.

Yep in Oz its a criminal record check, safety working with children check (paed) and basically almost a stat dec saying your havent done anything in the past. its not a 100% guarantee but its better then simply being someones GF, there was news about the mother in the Uk not long ago...normal mum with kids, shocking what she did.

OP i dont know about complaining, its their business so they can run it how you want, but when its your child you do what you think is best, dont just follow the crowd.
This user would like to thank L&F for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 20.10.2009, 18:42
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 137
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 40 Times in 24 Posts
Powerlauer has no particular reputation at present
Re: Creche Complaint

Quote:
View Post
Yep in Oz its a criminal record check, safety working with children check (paed) and basically almost a stat dec saying your havent done anything in the past. its not a 100% guarantee but its better then simply being someones GF, there was news about the mother in the Uk not long ago...normal mum with kids, shocking what she did.

OP i dont know about complaining, its their business so they can run it how you want, but when its your child you do what you think is best, dont just follow the crowd.
Its the same in the UK, especially after that woman, as was said, a mother of 2, working in a kindergarden - she had her pedophile network -

What bugs me it is not just a small Creche, its a well know gym and my friends send their kids there when they work out -and I guess now I know I have to ask the qualifications of those working in the Creche anywhere.

But one assumes that everyone has been checked - just wonder what the law is here, or is up to the parents to ask when they drop their kids -

I have never gone to Ikea with kids, but do they have a sign saying if the people there have qualifications to handle kids? or what about the one in Sihlcity?



Anyone know?
  #9  
Old 20.10.2009, 22:00
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Nyon
Posts: 17
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Chakday has no particular reputation at present
Re: Creche Complaint

I agree. Regardless of which country it is, any services related to children should have their employees with back ground checks performed.

I have also noticed, i am yet to see a facility with cameras here. Back in the US, almost every facility had camera, PLUS some even had live cameras for parents to keep an eye online. Ofcours thats US and maybe that was needed, but there are weirdos all over now.
  #10  
Old 20.10.2009, 22:11
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Creche Complaint

Quote:
View Post
I agree. Regardless of which country it is, any services related to children should have their employees with back ground checks performed.

I have also noticed, i am yet to see a facility with cameras here. Back in the US, almost every facility had camera, PLUS some even had live cameras for parents to keep an eye online. Ofcours thats US and maybe that was needed, but there are weirdos all over now.
I don't think weirdos in contact with children is a recent invention I think they are just easier to find out these days.

I think it is perfectly reasonable to ask about the qualifications of people looking after your children but it would only be appropriate to ask if they do background checks and not ask for details.

The recent case in the UK highlights the fact that even these checks are not water-tight, though. If one is a determined enough weirdo, one can get into a job with kids with a bit of effort.
  #11  
Old 20.10.2009, 22:41
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 15,026
Groaned at 283 Times in 205 Posts
Thanked 17,459 Times in 9,028 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Creche Complaint

I just spent some time with my kiddo in a local Haute Garderie, the staff was amazingly professional, stimulating, fun and caring. I don't need a crimi background check for that, I don't think as it is such a short time kids spend there and they do not leave the facility. I think it differs from a place to place, but our one is so fantastic, so is our playgroup.

I would feel more at ease if ladies and gents working in Creche and Jardin d'Enfants had a work experiences check done, though. I have seen children walking around with their Creche groups so sloppily dressed in really cold temps, friends who have kids in our local one said they do not get fed properly, there are many complaints. It is such expensive business and kids spend full days there I wonder why these complaints do not push for better results. I know this is a question of experiences of employees, rather than a criminal record one.

Last edited by MusicChick; 21.10.2009 at 11:31.
This user would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 20.10.2009, 23:12
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Nyon
Posts: 17
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Chakday has no particular reputation at present
Re: Creche Complaint

Quote:
I don't think weirdos in contact with children is a recent invention I think they are just easier to find out these days.

I think it is perfectly reasonable to ask about the qualifications of people looking after your children but it would only be appropriate to ask if they do background checks and not ask for details.

The recent case in the UK highlights the fact that even these checks are not water-tight, though. If one is a determined enough weirdo, one can get into a job with kids with a bit of effort.
I agree, the problem has been there all along, we are just more aware of it.
I also agree with you on the credibility on credit checks. I.e. when i registered at the commune they didnt even ask for my criminal check from usa. I had to tell her, "hey dont you need this?", and plus the criminal check i got was for my local commune back home and not for the entire country (i.e fbi).
  #13  
Old 24.10.2009, 22:43
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 137
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 40 Times in 24 Posts
Powerlauer has no particular reputation at present
Re: Creche Complaint re lack of Staff References

Quote:
View Post
The managers name and number was given as her reference as well as another 2 references.
I wrote a complaint e mail to both gyms this girl works in, as it bothered me especially as friends of mine leave their kids at the creche - one advised me that the contract says that the employees at the creche are qualified to work with kids and have first aid experience - if this employee has, then its not on her CV.

Anyway, the managers wrote back and said they would respond sometime this week......we will see.
  #14  
Old 08.11.2011, 20:54
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bern
Posts: 1
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 6 Times in 1 Post
helena91 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Creche complaint regarding staff references

You know Powerlauer, maybe instead of lying you would write the truth that this girl was your Au-pair and she left you because she didnt want to be your maid!!! So better foucus on your Family and stay away from others lifes.!!!
The following 6 users would like to thank helena91 for this useful post:
The following 2 users groan at helena91 for this post:
  #15  
Old 08.11.2011, 21:16
Kristanez's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Home and native land
Posts: 601
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 589 Times in 252 Posts
Kristanez has a reputation beyond reputeKristanez has a reputation beyond reputeKristanez has a reputation beyond reputeKristanez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Creche complaint regarding staff references

I've been reading trying to find out what your actual concerns are about this employee...what behaviours are concerning you?
  #16  
Old 08.11.2011, 21:24
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Maschwanden nr. Mettmenstetten
Posts: 83
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 69 Times in 34 Posts
cazzamia is considered knowledgeablecazzamia is considered knowledgeablecazzamia is considered knowledgeable
Re: Creche complaint regarding staff references

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Bet you wish you hadn't mentioned the notice period now, eh?? Seems like the gals are fighting back...

What is the notice period for an au pair?

I have commented on two cases of 'scandal' involving au-pairs and their working conditions in as many days and in both cases, the real identity of the host family was as clear as day, which can hardly be good for one's reputation....

The other 'scandal':

http://www.englishforum.ch/jobs-offe...nterageri.html

Last edited by cazzamia; 08.11.2011 at 22:41.
  #17  
Old 08.11.2011, 22:08
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zurich Oberland
Posts: 523
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 470 Times in 239 Posts
woolly has an excellent reputationwoolly has an excellent reputationwoolly has an excellent reputationwoolly has an excellent reputation
Quote:
View Post
I've been reading trying to find out what your actual concerns are about this employee...what behaviours are concerning you?
It's pretty clear, her concern is not about the employee specifically, her concern is about the crèche employing people to care for children without checking their references.

(I've just noticed that this thread appears to have been resurrected by someone who has set up an EF username just to be spiteful! Nice.)

Last edited by woolly; 08.11.2011 at 22:20.
The following 2 users would like to thank woolly for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 08.11.2011, 22:35
Swiss Cheddar's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Zug
Posts: 2,152
Groaned at 40 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 3,047 Times in 1,239 Posts
Swiss Cheddar has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Cheddar has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Cheddar has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Cheddar has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Cheddar has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Cheddar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Creche complaint regarding staff references

Quote:
View Post
(I've just noticed that this thread appears to have been resurrected by someone who has set up an EF username just to be spiteful! Nice.)

lol.......i thought that was a bit weird too

cheers
SC
  #19  
Old 08.11.2011, 22:42
Tilia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 2,765
Groaned at 81 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 2,649 Times in 1,194 Posts
Tilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Creche complaint regarding staff references

Powerlauer has been on the forum for quite a while and spiteful ever since.

Stealing au pairs, abusing ski schools, play schools not working according her high standards - all have they gotten her vexed and spiteful.

Quote:
View Post

(I've just noticed that this thread appears to have been resurrected by someone who has set up an EF username just to be spiteful! Nice.)
  #20  
Old 08.11.2011, 22:46
Fidgety's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bottom of garden with fairies
Posts: 531
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 474 Times in 188 Posts
Fidgety has an excellent reputationFidgety has an excellent reputationFidgety has an excellent reputationFidgety has an excellent reputation
Re: Creche complaint regarding staff references

Do you know who's looking after your kids?


I raised the same concern.....my friend has left the nursery, but her references were never checked....
Closed Thread




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Setting up a home-based creche/playgroup flowerylyns Business & entrepreneur 22 12.02.2010 12:58
Need advice on opening my own Creche? laura_mcg22 Business & entrepreneur 2 18.08.2009 16:32
Creche waiting lists - Lausanne digitech Family matters/health 4 30.04.2009 22:06
Moderation? [complaint and rant about forum staff] gj76 Forum support 43 06.01.2008 13:34
Moving Jobs in Switzerland and References Tim Employment 8 06.06.2007 10:04


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0