Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Complaints corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12.02.2010, 19:03
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Winkel(Zurich)
Posts: 183
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 245 Times in 74 Posts
darrylmitchell has a reputation beyond reputedarrylmitchell has a reputation beyond reputedarrylmitchell has a reputation beyond reputedarrylmitchell has a reputation beyond repute
Non-EU members, with less than a C permit, are not allowed to be self-employed

I just got off the phone with the department that deals with work permits enquiring about becoming self-employed/starting my own business. I was told that as of a few days ago, all non-EU members holding less than C permits will not be allowed to be self employed because of the economic situation here in CH.

One would assume that someone being self-employed would be less of a burden on the system, and could possibly create jobs if successful...

Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmm......
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12.02.2010, 19:20
Peg A's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 4,436
Groaned at 158 Times in 125 Posts
Thanked 5,428 Times in 2,510 Posts
Peg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Non-EU members, with less than a C permit, are not allowed to be self-employed

Quote:
View Post
I just got off the phone with the department that deals with work permits enquiring about becoming self-employed/starting my own business. I was told that as of a few days ago, all non-EU members holding less than C permits will not be allowed to be self employed because of the economic situation here in CH.
D'oh!

Quote:
View Post
One would assume that someone being self-employed would be less of a burden on the system, and could possibly create jobs if successful...

Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmm......
Actually, I can see this as perhaps there were too many which failed and then the government had to bail them out in some way.

The optimist in me is saddened by this, the pragmatist realizes that if this change was made, there surely was a good reason.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12.02.2010, 19:27
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Winkel(Zurich)
Posts: 183
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 245 Times in 74 Posts
darrylmitchell has a reputation beyond reputedarrylmitchell has a reputation beyond reputedarrylmitchell has a reputation beyond reputedarrylmitchell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Non-EU members, with less than a C permit, are not allowed to be self-employed

I was told that the directive was given out by Bern a few days ago, and that is was because of the economic situation here in CH.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 16.02.2010, 17:49
tildaoz's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Meilen
Posts: 621
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 576 Times in 284 Posts
tildaoz has earned the respect of manytildaoz has earned the respect of manytildaoz has earned the respect of many
Re: Non-EU members, with less than a C permit, are not allowed to be self-employed

Oh no! It's hard enough as it is without withdrawing another potential way to do some work!

This must be only for new applications, I hope?

Having only just gone through the convoluted process that is getting permission to be self-employed with a non EU B permit, I would be very reluctant to relinquish it so soon!

But for anyone wanting to try for it, I would check and double check the truth of it. I was told by quite a few officials from various offices that I wasn't allowed to be self-employed when in fact I was. As with any big bureaucracy, the left hand doesn't always know what the right hand is doing. In the end the process was quite simple, but if I hadn't had a local friend to help me make all my phone calls I would have stopped at the first 'no'.

Kate
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 16.02.2010, 18:04
Raaaabert's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bern
Posts: 636
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 246 Times in 137 Posts
Raaaabert has an excellent reputationRaaaabert has an excellent reputationRaaaabert has an excellent reputationRaaaabert has an excellent reputation
Re: Non-EU members, with less than a C permit, are not allowed to be self-employed

Quote:
View Post
Oh no! It's hard enough as it is without withdrawing another potential way to do some work!

This must be only for new applications, I hope?

Having only just gone through the convoluted process that is getting permission to be self-employed with a non EU B permit, I would be very reluctant to relinquish it so soon!

But for anyone wanting to try for it, I would check and double check the truth of it. I was told by quite a few officials from various offices that I wasn't allowed to be self-employed when in fact I was. As with any big bureaucracy, the left hand doesn't always know what the right hand is doing. In the end the process was quite simple, but if I hadn't had a local friend to help me make all my phone calls I would have stopped at the first 'no'.

Kate
Same boat as tildaoz, I'm non EU with a B. Married to a Swiss girl though. I recently went through the process and was allowed to 'invoice' my boss back in Australia, i.e. sole contractor status here in Switzerland. I hope this doesnt affect me as I started this whole process last year and finally got the ok in Jan. I am guessing that Im ok.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 16.02.2010, 22:06
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Non-EU members, with less than a C permit, are not allowed to be self-employed

Quote:
View Post
I just got off the phone with the department that deals with work permits enquiring about becoming self-employed/starting my own business. I was told that as of a few days ago, all non-EU members holding less than C permits will not be allowed to be self employed because of the economic situation here in CH.

One would assume that someone being self-employed would be less of a burden on the system, and could possibly create jobs if successful...

Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmm......
As you so rightly say, if successful and a lot are not.

The problem is once you have your own company or are self employed, you can legally take the funds in your pension fund to get going. Once these have gone and your business has failed, who pays ?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01.03.2010, 15:05
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: zurich
Posts: 22
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
subor has slipped a little
Re: Non-EU members, with less than a C permit, are not allowed to be self-employed

then you need a Swiss partner to set up a GmbH. then after one year, you can delete ur swiss partner on the Handels Amt.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
B Permit holder becoming self employed - what do I need to know? [non-EU] narelleinoz Employment 12 04.02.2010 01:07
What type of permit am I likely to get if I am self-employed? Enafi Permits/visas/government 0 10.10.2009 00:20
Am I allowed to get a new job? (Non-EU, B permit) alefsin Permits/visas/government 15 15.10.2007 18:03
Can I be self employed with B Permit??? RENEET Permits/visas/government 3 04.02.2007 17:32


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0