English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Complaints corner (https://www.englishforum.ch/complaints-corner/)
-   -   people shaking their heads (https://www.englishforum.ch/complaints-corner/82931-people-shaking-their-heads.html)

Caroline 07.05.2010 10:23

Re: people shaking their heads
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by simon_ch (Post 804443)
Learn how to drive please. :)

Agreed!


Quote:

Originally Posted by economisto (Post 804479)
I do this constantly to idiots who can't drive. If they're near me trying to park with the window open (in an underground carpark) I make sure to tut loudly enough that they can hear. Sometimes I look dissappointed with their performance, other times I raise my eyebrows and wag my finger.

I'm confident it makes them feel good about themselves.

I prefer to opt for either a 'slow-to-fast' or a 'fast-to-slow' headshake, generally one or the other is appropriate for every sighting of inept drivers, like as in "Whoa, look at that dude trying to shoe-horn their SUV in a space only big enough for smart car, that deserves a 'slow-to-fast', that'll show 'em!'

miss_bean 07.05.2010 10:24

Re: people shaking their heads
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by psychodelicate (Post 804424)
I know, I cannot drive, I cannot park my car, and in general when I'm driving I am very clumsy. I easily panic, too.
But is it necessary to shake heads and look at me with such contempt everytime I do something wrong? Even people not directly involved in my awkward manoeuvres feel the need to show their disappointment by looking at me and shaking their heads.
Is it happening only to me or this "shaking the head" habit is typically Swiss?
I find it so unpleasant!

Don't feel unpleasant. Probably they just mean..
''oh oh ..she is just like my daughter/Wife/Girlfriend or like me'' :p

Shake your head back and move on.

Just_lou 07.05.2010 10:26

Re: people shaking their heads
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by economisto (Post 804497)
Oh no I do this too. If I arrive at a person struggling to parallel park on a busy road I'll just sit on my horn constantly until the park is finished. They normally just give up in 10 seconds and drive on.

I thought it's not allowed to honk in the cities here. I use honk on the highways when some cool guy thinks he is being very smart overtaking too close to my car.

Just_lou 07.05.2010 10:29

Re: people shaking their heads
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maria (Post 804502)
I guess we've all had our share of the Swiss brandishing their shaking heads. And it's not just limited to people in cars...

I do not really think that it is something to be called Swiss... I saw the same in other countries too :)

07.05.2010 10:30

Re: people shaking their heads
 
Yeah I don't think it is. I do it right outside the police station on Urania too. My especially agressive driving is reserved for the people who squeel to pull out inches in front of me at break-neck speed and them immediately slow to a crawl. They normally get tailed for a while until they pull over. Bastards.

The roads are for highly able, rally-tested drivers who are constantly alert. If you can't win, you can only lose.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Just_lou (Post 804507)
I thought it's not allowed to honk in the cities here. I use honk on the highways when some cool guy thinks he is being very smart overtaking too close to my car.


CH_Me 07.05.2010 10:35

Re: people shaking their heads
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by psychodelicate (Post 804424)
Is it happening only to me or this "shaking the head" habit is typically Swiss?
I find it so unpleasant!

Head shaking is better than the finger or an ear full of abuse like back home.

NotAllThere 07.05.2010 10:36

Re: people shaking their heads
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by psychodelicate (Post 804483)
My metal death machine always goes under 50 km/hour,

Aha! So you're the maniac who was trundling along the A2 at 40km/h, as I approached at 230. Good job I've got good brakes. ;)

Quote:

I gave priority to a tram that didn't have priority...
Oh come on. You expect us to believe that? Trams always have priority.:)

With parallel parking I either do it right first time, or it takes me ages. It's usually easy just to have my wife park for me - she's much better at it. It wasn't part of the test when I learned to drive.:o

Maria 07.05.2010 10:37

Re: people shaking their heads
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Just_lou (Post 804515)
I do not really think that it is something to be called Swiss... I saw the same in other countries too :)

I agree with you. But often the rant that follows in perfect Swiss German got me thinking otherwise about my experiences. Unknown to them, this 'auslander' understands some Swiss German.

simon_ch 07.05.2010 10:45

Re: people shaking their heads
 
I think there shouldn't be a "right" to drive a car, it's rather dangerous for incompetent drivers to be on the road, and the "but I always drive slower than is allowed" argument is certainly not a very good one, because that makes others overtake you in dangerous situations and generally hinders the flow of traffic. In short, do take driving lessons and if it doesn't help drive a vehicle that is less a public danger. :)

krlock3 07.05.2010 10:54

Re: people shaking their heads
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by psychodelicate (Post 804483)
No, please, it's not so serious. My metal death machine always goes under 50 km/hour.

What about in a 60 zone? Or on a motorway?

It is prudent to drive at the speed limit, otherwise you frustrate other drivers behind you and this can cause them to make risky overtaking moves, which scare you too.

The other day I was driving on the motorway at an 80km zone and a woman was driving at 45km.... it was actually dangerous to see cars braking behind her and then trying to jump ahead.

not that im saying that she was driving poorly because she was a woman. plenty of crappy male drivers out there too i guess.

07.05.2010 10:56

Re: people shaking their heads
 
After several minor scrapes at the Coop parking I took the car to be repaired. On picking it up I remarked, thanks it looks nice now. The garagist said "Yes but for how long?" I told him a long while, as my doctor has made me give up drinking.

psychodelicate 07.05.2010 11:00

Re: people shaking their heads
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by krlock3 (Post 804562)
What about in a 60 zone? Or on a motorway?

It is prudent to drive at the speed limit, otherwise you frustrate other drivers behind you and this can cause them to make risky overtaking moves, which scare you too.

The other day I was driving on the motorway at an 80km zone and a woman was driving at 45km.... it was actually dangerous to see cars braking behind her and then trying to jump ahead.

not that im saying that she was driving poorly because she was a woman. plenty of crappy male drivers out there too i guess.

I know. I drive slowly. But I never drive outside city roads, where limits are usually low. I never drive on a motorway.

Guest 07.05.2010 11:04

Re: people shaking their heads
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by psychodelicate (Post 804424)
"never had a car accident in 20 years of driving..."

"...but I have seen an incredible number of them in my rear-view mirror." :rolleyes:

flavio 07.05.2010 11:30

Re: people shaking their heads
 
I wonder if in India they would do the same but with the typical wiggly effect.

flow23 07.05.2010 11:31

Re: people shaking their heads
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by psychodelicate (Post 804424)
I know, I cannot drive, I cannot park my car, and in general when I'm driving I am very clumsy. I easily panic, too.
But is it necessary to shake heads and look at me with such contempt everytime I do something wrong? Even people not directly involved in my awkward manoeuvres feel the need to show their disappointment by looking at me and shaking their heads.
Is it happening only to me or this "shaking the head" habit is typically Swiss?
I find it so unpleasant!

Edit:

I am a good enough driver, never had a car accident in 20 years of driving. I often drive with my child on board, so I am very prudent, never drive faster than 50 or (maximum) 60 km/hour.
My weak side is parking: I am a perfectionist and I know I am not so good in parking, so I prefer trying longer than leaving the car parked so-and-so.
Today I woke up silly and thought to post a silly thread. But if I want to be serious, politically correct and even tearful, I'll tell you I had a very dear person who died because of a road pirate. Those are a different story, you know.
But let me tell you that when a person is in trouble with parking a car, there's no use shaking heads or insulting. (Actually there's NEVER use being so ostentatiously impatient with people in trouble, but this is up to your sensibility).
Forget this post please, it wasn't meant to be taken so seriously.


point is: i believe there might be other people with other habits that make you angry/what ever mood that you shake your head, clench your fist/put in specific reaction...why do you bother? do like you do. first rule is: what ever you do on the road...DONT HARM OTHER PEOPLE, DONT SET ANYBODY AT RISK! thats all what counts.

notice to the public: stop stereotyping the swiss people. there is no SWISS THING. it is always an individual thing! period.

Chuff 07.05.2010 11:36

Re: people shaking their heads
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by psychodelicate (Post 804577)
I know. I drive slowly. But I never drive outside city roads, where limits are usually low. I never drive on a motorway.

Well, without meaning to be negative, the reason you get head-shaking is because you hold people up. You drive slow thus making the daily commute for people that little bit more painful, and your slow parking similarly holds people up. It's nothing personal against you, it's just highly irritating to anyone that drives regularly... every second and minute counts when you drive every day along the same stretch of road.

For the record, I shake my head at people, as do all other nations in the world that posess both a neck and a head, which I think covers just about everyone. :)

07.05.2010 11:39

Re: people shaking their heads
 
It's not just that for me, I don't really care about 10 seconds here and there. Poor/slow drivers spoil the flow of traffic/driving. So many things in life are about rhythm and flow and driving is one of them.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuff (Post 804661)
Well, without meaning to be negative, the reason you get head-shaking is because you hold people up. You drive slow thus making the daily commute for people that little bit more painful, and your slow parking similarly holds people up. It's nothing personal against you, it's just highly irritating to anyone that drives regularly... every second and minute counts when you drive every day along the same stretch of road.

For the record, I shake my head at people, as do all other nations in the world that posess both a neck and a head, which I think covers just about everyone. :)


NotAllThere 07.05.2010 11:41

Re: people shaking their heads
 
That's true. But it doesn't explain the elderly pedestrian shaking his head over my parking attempts at 9pm in an otherwise empty street.

Chuff 07.05.2010 11:46

Re: people shaking their heads
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotAllThere (Post 804672)
That's true. But it doesn't explain the elderly pedestrian shaking his head over my parking attempts at 9pm in an otherwise empty street.

Maybe they were just particularly bad attempts. :D

NSchulzi 07.05.2010 11:48

Re: people shaking their heads
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotAllThere (Post 804672)
That's true. But it doesn't explain the elderly pedestrian shaking his head over my parking attempts at 9pm in an otherwise empty street.

Yes, and I think that you have hit the nail on the head. It is the predominance of uncalled for and unecssary head shaking that is so damn irritating - when it is used for no other purpose than to say 'who is a naughty girl/boy then?', rather than to show disdain at a genuinely dangerous manouevre.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:10.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0