English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Complaints corner (https://www.englishforum.ch/complaints-corner/)
-   -   people shaking their heads (https://www.englishforum.ch/complaints-corner/82931-people-shaking-their-heads.html)

bad hare day 21.05.2010 17:04

Re: people shaking their heads
 
this is one area where there has been progress ....there was a time in switzerland when the hard cold and deeply intensive stare was all that was needed to make you feel small, the shaknig of the head is a fairly recent innovation.:o

NSchulzi 21.05.2010 17:11

Re: people shaking their heads
 
Ahh, but did they always feel the compulsive need to speed up (on foot) and under or over-take you, only to veer diagonally across your path immediately in front of you (normally causing you to falter) in order to go left or right??

bad hare day 21.05.2010 20:40

Re: people shaking their heads
 
yes , usually adding "herrgottsterne" as a passing greeting.

would do staerne , but dont know how my english keyboard does an umlaut:msnnerd:

NotAllThere 25.05.2010 09:50

Re: people shaking their heads
 
For future reference, please copy and paste from here: :)

I flew to the UK last Saturday. When we landed, the guy opposite me knocked out a laptop case from the overhead locker, as he was getting his bag. It just missed an old English guy's head, and landed safely on the lap of the owner - and old Swiss guy. He started grumbling about taking care and stuff, but the culprit obviously didn't understand a word. So he began the hard stare... I turned to my travelling partner and said "here we go for the head shake. 3, 2, 1...". Right on cue.http://www.sparkimg.com/emoticons/no.gif

Beautiful.

the_clangers 25.05.2010 10:35

Re: people shaking their heads
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotAllThere (Post 821645)
For future reference, please copy and paste from here: :)

I flew to the UK last Saturday. When we landed, the guy opposite me knocked out a laptop case from the overhead locker, as he was getting his bag. It just missed an old English guy's head, and landed safely on the lap of the owner - and old Swiss guy. He started grumbling about taking care and stuff, but the culprit obviously didn't understand a word. So he began the hard stare... I turned to my travelling partner and said "here we go for the head shake. 3, 2, 1...". Right on cue.http://www.sparkimg.com/emoticons/no.gif

Beautiful.

That may or may not be good manners but it sure shows some restraint on the part of the old guy. That idiot is lucky that he didn't get an elbow to the groin. :eek:

I know that I wouldn't have been so polite or reserved.

higgybaby 25.05.2010 10:38

Re: people shaking their heads
 
2 Attachment(s)
If you don't like parking where other people are watching to see how bad you are :
Attachment 15577

there are now special parking places for the disabled, parents with toddlers etc. And of course there are even women only car parks here in Zurich making women feel safer:
Attachment 15578

summerrain 25.05.2010 12:09

Re: people shaking their heads
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by higgybaby (Post 821698)
there are now special parking places for the disabled, parents with toddlers etc. And of course there are even women only car parks here in Zurich making women feel safer:
Attachment 15578

Well deserved groan me thinks :msnsarcastic:

Guest 25.05.2010 12:15

Re: people shaking their heads
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by higgybaby (Post 821698)
there are now special parking places for the disabled, parents with toddlers etc. And of course there are even women only car parks here in Zurich making women feel safer:

And training videos, if required... :msnshock:



Quote:

Originally Posted by summerrain (Post 821792)
Well deserved groan me thinks :msnsarcastic:

It was only a matter of time; I thought he lasted quite long :p

higgybaby 25.05.2010 12:21

Re: people shaking their heads
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by summerrain (Post 821792)
Well deserved groan me thinks :msnsarcastic:

A groan on my birthday!!! Shame on me. :(

NotAllThere 25.05.2010 12:43

Re: people shaking their heads
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_clangers (Post 821695)
That may or may not be good manners but it sure shows some restraint on the part of the old guy. That idiot is lucky that he didn't get an elbow to the groin. :eek:

I know that I wouldn't have been so polite or reserved.

The old guy was British. Of course he was restrained. ;) Anyway, it was an accident, and he had already apologised when the t'other old guy started with the grumbling and shaking of the head.

MacGregor's Daughter 25.05.2010 12:46

Re: people shaking their heads
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by psychodelicate (Post 804424)
I often drive with my child on board, so I am very prudent, never drive faster than 50 or (maximum) 60 km/hour.

Good for you people only shake their heads at you. I get extremely aggressive when stuck behind people going 50/60 where 80 is allowed and there is no possibility to pass.

greenmount 25.05.2010 12:50

Re: people shaking their heads
 
How do you all find the parking places allocated to women ?
Frankly, I think it's quite condescental :msncrazy:

NotAllThere 25.05.2010 12:56

Re: people shaking their heads
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenmount (Post 821816)
How do you all find the parking places allocated to women ?
Frankly, I think it's quite condescental :msncrazy:

That'll be condescending, petal. Or patronising. But don't worry your pretty little head about it.;)

higgybaby 25.05.2010 12:59

Re: people shaking their heads
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenmount (Post 821816)
How do you all find the parking places allocated to women ?
Frankly, I think it's quite condescental :msncrazy:

I think a handful of carparks in Zurich have women only levels.
I don't know how they tell if you're female, maybe you have to register and get a special electronic badge to gain entry.
Try googling it in German. Or maybe someone here knows more about it.

Guest 25.05.2010 12:59

Re: people shaking their heads
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenmount (Post 821816)
How do you all find the parking places allocated to women ?
Frankly, I think it's quite condescental :msncrazy:

Time for me to shake my head... :msnrolleyes:

MacGregor's Daughter 25.05.2010 13:16

Re: people shaking their heads
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenmount (Post 821816)
How do you all find the parking places allocated to women ?
Frankly, I think it's quite condescental :msncrazy:

That has to do with safety in the car park where it's dark and spooky and rapists and murderers are lurking around every corner.

Assassin 25.05.2010 14:00

Re: people shaking their heads
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacGregor's Daughter (Post 821835)
That has to do with safety in the car park where it's dark and spooky and rapists and murderers are lurking around every corner.

With "women only" car park spaces, the aforementioned spooky types, rapists and murderers can save countless hours of stalking the whole lot and just concentrate on their specialized prey.:msnsarcastic:

I haven't studied crime statistics for the purpose of responding to this thread, but I wouldn't have thought that car parks are favored for attacks these days with omnipresent webcams.

Shakes head and walks off (keeping the thread on track you understand....)

MacGregor's Daughter 25.05.2010 14:26

Re: people shaking their heads
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assassin (Post 821869)
With "women only" car park spaces, the aforementioned spooky types, rapists and murderers can save countless hours of stalking the whole lot and just concentrate on their specialized prey.:msnsarcastic:

I haven't studied crime statistics for the purpose of responding to this thread, but I wouldn't have thought that car parks are favored for attacks these days with omnipresent webcams.

Shakes head and walks off (keeping the thread on track you understand....)

I guess I wasn't too serious;) It used to be quite dangerous in former times without the cameras. But this is Switzerland after all. Can't imagine anything happen in a car park in Zug.But then again, there are all those foreigners in the area:lol:

maconp11 25.05.2010 16:13

Re: people shaking their heads
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by psychodelicate (Post 804483)
No, please, it's not so serious. My metal death machine always goes under 50 km/hour, and my awkward maneuvers mean taking ten minutes to park when a normal driver would take ten seconds. I wasted both sides of my car with those concrete pilasters at Coop, but NEVER touched anybody's else car (that's why I take hours to park: I have to be careful cause I know my conception of space is particular).
Or for instance, this happened yesterday and that's the reason why I posted this: I gave priority to a tram that didn't have priority, and the tram driver was so disappointed and head shaking!
I am not SO dangerous, really, I was only having fun of me.

Driving that slow in itself can be a huge danger to those around you. If you are wasting your bodywork on man made topographical features, it is time to face facts... I'm sorry but it sounds as if you need to either take lessons, or take the train.:msnshock:

greenmount 25.05.2010 16:52

Re: people shaking their heads
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by higgybaby (Post 821826)
I think a handful of carparks in Zurich have women only levels.
I don't know how they tell if you're female, maybe you have to register and get a special electronic badge to gain entry.
Try googling it in German. Or maybe someone here knows more about it.

Thanks, in fact I don't want to do that. I was wondering if someone knew anything, I think Switzerland is the only country where I saw this...:D

Quote:

That'll be condescending, petal. Or patronising. But don't worry your pretty little head about it.;)
You're right, of course (Gee...wonder how that came out), although you could have been less condescending, sweetheart...:) It won't hurt you...English is not my native language. ;)


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:22.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0