Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #281  
Old 05.12.2010, 21:32
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 168
Groaned at 36 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 78 Times in 50 Posts
daboy is considered unworthydaboy is considered unworthydaboy is considered unworthydaboy is considered unworthy
Re: Arriving in CH on a one-way ticket with almost no money intending to stay. discus

Quote:
View Post
I will definitely buy a book logic. Could you recommend some titles/authors? That way I'll know which ones to avoid.

Asinine and stupid are two adjectives that accurately describe your plan.

The point of my questions was to determine if you're eligible for assistance in the US, for example unemployment benefits, because that 150 CHF is not going to get you far.

Good luck and good riddance.
I knew you had to be American.

Pretty much any book would do.
Reply With Quote
  #282  
Old 05.12.2010, 22:26
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lugano
Posts: 6,552
Groaned at 129 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 7,969 Times in 3,712 Posts
Mrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Arriving in CH on a one-way ticket with almost no money intending to stay. discus

Quote:
View Post
And now I'm going to get back to vacuuming my apartment.
Vacuuming on a Sunday is rather inconsiderate.
Reply With Quote
  #283  
Old 05.12.2010, 22:35
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Scottie1 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Arriving in CH on a one-way ticket with almost no money intending to stay. discus

to be perfectly honest with you CHF150 won't get you anywhere...perhaps you should look out for jobs before you arrive here. the airport offers a huge variety of jobs for especially english speaking people....good luck!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Scottie1 for this useful post:
  #284  
Old 05.12.2010, 22:55
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 168
Groaned at 36 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 78 Times in 50 Posts
daboy is considered unworthydaboy is considered unworthydaboy is considered unworthydaboy is considered unworthy
Re: Arriving in CH on a one-way ticket with almost no money intending to stay. discus

Quote:
View Post
Vacuuming on a Sunday is rather inconsiderate.
I thought it was illegal to vacuum in CH on a sunday. Or was that gardening? I also heard that i may not be able to get my minaret through customs.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank daboy for this useful post:
  #285  
Old 05.12.2010, 23:08
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lugano
Posts: 6,552
Groaned at 129 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 7,969 Times in 3,712 Posts
Mrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Arriving in CH on a one-way ticket with almost no money intending to stay. discus

Quote:
View Post
I thought it was illegal to vacuum in CH on a sunday. Or was that gardening? I also heard that i may not be able to get my minaret through customs.
Not gardening per se, just using machines, such as lawn mowers, leaf blowers. Since foliorose knows so much, she should know vacuuming on Sunday is really not on when you live in an apartment.
Reply With Quote
  #286  
Old 05.12.2010, 23:34
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 168
Groaned at 36 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 78 Times in 50 Posts
daboy is considered unworthydaboy is considered unworthydaboy is considered unworthydaboy is considered unworthy
Re: Arriving in CH on a one-way ticket with almost no money intending to stay. discus

Quote:
View Post
Not gardening per se, just using machines, such as lawn mowers, leaf blowers. Since foliorose knows so much, she should know vacuuming on Sunday is really not on when you live in an apartment.
Americans wouldn't know what you meant in this context with the phrase "not on."
Reply With Quote
  #287  
Old 05.12.2010, 23:45
J_T's Avatar
J_T J_T is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: near Bern
Posts: 1,080
Groaned at 20 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,175 Times in 523 Posts
J_T has a reputation beyond reputeJ_T has a reputation beyond reputeJ_T has a reputation beyond reputeJ_T has a reputation beyond reputeJ_T has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Arriving in CH on a one-way ticket with almost no money intending to stay. discus

Wear your minaret as a hat and they won't notice.

Getting realistic, assuming the plan and resources haven't changed, if you fly into Zurich, here is a suggestion:

- Proceed from Arrival to the trains in the lower level

- Take a train to Dübendorf, half an hour ride (train changes, you will have to ask), won't cost much

- From the train station in Dübendorf, walk across the street and down to Bettlistrasse 22, about two minutes:

Soziale Dienste
Bezirk Uster
Bettlistrasse 22 · 8600 Dübendorf
Tel. 044 - 801 99 20 · Fax 044 - 801 99 30

- Walk into reception and tell them "I need help and would like to talk to someone. I have no home, no money and no job" and hand the receptionist your passport. You might add "I only speak english", I think Verena Schär, a social worker there does.

- Let them take it from there. No need to compose a speech, just answer questions. Their motto is "We won't leave anybody standing in the rain", and they won't leave you standing in the snow. Just make sure they understand that you have nowhere and no means to go anywhere from there.

http://www.sdeu.ch/

You will find the Swiss pragmatic and to the point, but you needn't take that as unfriendly or hostile. They don't wear their hearts on their sleeve, but they have one buttoned up inside their shirt.
Reply With Quote
The following 12 users would like to thank J_T for this useful post:
  #288  
Old 05.12.2010, 23:48
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Arriving in CH on a one-way ticket with almost no money intending to stay. discus

Daboy: When you get here, there's at least one hot meal headed your way for starting one of the most entertaining threads in weeks.

PM me when you're settled.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #289  
Old 06.12.2010, 02:16
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 168
Groaned at 36 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 78 Times in 50 Posts
daboy is considered unworthydaboy is considered unworthydaboy is considered unworthydaboy is considered unworthy
Re: Arriving in CH on a one-way ticket with almost no money intending to stay. discus

Quote:
Daboy: When you get here, there's at least one hot meal headed your way for starting one of the most entertaining threads in weeks.

PM me when you're settled.
Thanks. In return I will provide a burned copy of the television show of your choosing.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank daboy for this useful post:
  #290  
Old 06.12.2010, 02:30
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 168
Groaned at 36 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 78 Times in 50 Posts
daboy is considered unworthydaboy is considered unworthydaboy is considered unworthydaboy is considered unworthy
Re: Arriving in CH on a one-way ticket with almost no money intending to stay. discus

Quote:
View Post
Wear your minaret as a hat and they won't notice.

Getting realistic, assuming the plan and resources haven't changed, if you fly into Zurich, here is a suggestion:

- Proceed from Arrival to the trains in the lower level

- Take a train to Dübendorf, half an hour ride (train changes, you will have to ask), won't cost much

- From the train station in Dübendorf, walk across the street and down to Bettlistrasse 22, about two minutes:

Soziale Dienste
Bezirk Uster
Bettlistrasse 22 · 8600 Dübendorf
Tel. 044 - 801 99 20 · Fax 044 - 801 99 30

- Walk into reception and tell them "I need help and would like to talk to someone. I have no home, no money and no job" and hand the receptionist your passport. You might add "I only speak english", I think Verena Schär, a social worker there does.

- Let them take it from there. No need to compose a speech, just answer questions. Their motto is "We won't leave anybody standing in the rain", and they won't leave you standing in the snow. Just make sure they understand that you have nowhere and no means to go anywhere from there.

http://www.sdeu.ch/

You will find the Swiss pragmatic and to the point, but you needn't take that as unfriendly or hostile. They don't wear their hearts on their sleeve, but they have one buttoned up inside their shirt.
What a sweet guy, this J T. Thanks. It's like google directions for my life.

Pragma happens to be my favourite kind of tism (I challenge anyone to think of a better -tism).
Reply With Quote
  #291  
Old 06.12.2010, 03:32
Cbass's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 130
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 149 Times in 71 Posts
Cbass is considered knowledgeableCbass is considered knowledgeableCbass is considered knowledgeable
Re: Arriving in CH on a one-way ticket with almost no money intending to stay. discus

Quote:
View Post
What a sweet guy, this J T. Thanks. It's like google directions for my life.

Pragma happens to be my favourite kind of tism (I challenge anyone to think of a better -tism).
Actually daboy, JT did you one better. If you go to the Sozialdienst website (http://www.sdeu.ch/) and look at the "Arbeit" link and then click on "Job Bus -Teilnehmer" link you see that they offer day jobs which pay you cash in hand by simply showing up at 8:30 AM and doing the work. Hell, they even throw in a map so that you can find the place you need to show up to (look at "Lageplan" link) although the place is just across the street. They will ferry you to and from work as well. Hey you might even get a "Gipfeli" (Croissant) and a "heisse Tasse Kaffee" (Coffee) before you set set off to work. JT I wanted to thank you for the post but did not know how to since I am an englishforum "newbie".
Reply With Quote
  #292  
Old 06.12.2010, 04:01
armandair
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Arriving in CH on a one-way ticket with almost no money intending to stay. discus

Many think 150.-- is not much to get you around in Switzerland. And from an expat view living life with a certain standard this is completely correct. Still there are many here - I know some of them - who would say that 150.- is a lot of money.

One came a long time ago with exactly CHF 20.-- in his pocket and a blue collar job contract in hand.

So even in rich and expensive Switzerland there are humble backgrounds.
Reply With Quote
  #293  
Old 06.12.2010, 10:18
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Graubünden
Posts: 636
Groaned at 69 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 421 Times in 255 Posts
Wasted has an excellent reputationWasted has an excellent reputationWasted has an excellent reputationWasted has an excellent reputation
Re: Arriving in CH on a one-way ticket with almost no money intending to stay. discus

OP: Did you get your girlfriend pregnant or something?
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Wasted for this post:
  #294  
Old 06.12.2010, 10:27
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 168
Groaned at 36 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 78 Times in 50 Posts
daboy is considered unworthydaboy is considered unworthydaboy is considered unworthydaboy is considered unworthy
Re: Arriving in CH on a one-way ticket with almost no money intending to stay. discus

Quote:
View Post
OP: Did you get your girlfriend pregnant or something?
Yeah. It was your mom. hahahahah
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users groan at daboy for this post:
  #295  
Old 06.12.2010, 10:29
Rangatiranui's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Baden region
Posts: 2,184
Groaned at 14 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 2,469 Times in 1,088 Posts
Rangatiranui has a reputation beyond reputeRangatiranui has a reputation beyond reputeRangatiranui has a reputation beyond reputeRangatiranui has a reputation beyond reputeRangatiranui has a reputation beyond reputeRangatiranui has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Arriving in CH on a one-way ticket with almost no money intending to stay. discus

Quote:
View Post
Yeah. It was your mom. hahahahah
Wasted, I think you are now entitled to 18 years back-payment of child maintenance payments...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Rangatiranui for this useful post:
  #296  
Old 06.12.2010, 10:34
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Arriving in CH on a one-way ticket with almost no money intending to stay. discus

Quote:
View Post
Pragma happens to be my favourite kind of tism (I challenge anyone to think of a better -tism).
I challenge you to get a job.
Reply With Quote
  #297  
Old 06.12.2010, 10:39
AppleRed's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 88
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 28 Times in 12 Posts
AppleRed has made some interesting contributions
Re: Arriving in CH on a one-way ticket with almost no money intending to stay. discus

Quote:
View Post
OP: Did you get your girlfriend pregnant or something?
No need to tease guys! If you can help with something ok, otherwise don't make him feel even more uncomfortable. He is trying to make a life in another country and he didn't ask for nothing else than opinions concerning his situation. Didn't ask for money, food whatever from your pockets or for friendships. The OP even showed more decency than some of the previous commentors here.

If having a swiss passport is his luck, than hell yes he should try his chance here, its his right.

And by the way, this is a fact, a life story not a troll. He could actually consider write a novel inspired from this story.

You might consider spare the OP from the useless suggestions as staying where he is now for some more time, since he already said a few times that he has the flight ticket and he is coming in short time.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank AppleRed for this useful post:
  #298  
Old 06.12.2010, 10:41
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Arriving in CH on a one-way ticket with almost no money intending to stay. discus

Quote:
View Post
No need to tease guys! If you can help with something ok, otherwise don't make him feel even more uncomfortable. He is trying to make a life in another country and he didn't ask for nothing else than opinions concerning his situation. Didn't ask for money, food whatever from your pockets or for friendships. The OP even showed more decency than some of the previous commentors here.

If having a swiss passport is his luck, than hell yes he should try his chance here, its his right.

And by the way, this is a fact, a life story not a troll. He could actually consider write a novel inspired from this story.

You might consider spare the OP from the useless suggestions as staying where he is now for some more time, since he already said a few times that he has the flight ticket and he is coming in short time.
Write a novel because he's broke?! Stop encouraging such behaviour, please! If this is novel material..then I should reconsider my line of work and start writing books.
Reply With Quote
  #299  
Old 06.12.2010, 10:45
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 168
Groaned at 36 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 78 Times in 50 Posts
daboy is considered unworthydaboy is considered unworthydaboy is considered unworthydaboy is considered unworthy
Re: Arriving in CH on a one-way ticket with almost no money intending to stay. discus

Quote:
View Post
I challenge you to get a job.
Hmm. Autism?
Reply With Quote
  #300  
Old 06.12.2010, 10:46
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 168
Groaned at 36 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 78 Times in 50 Posts
daboy is considered unworthydaboy is considered unworthydaboy is considered unworthydaboy is considered unworthy
Re: Arriving in CH on a one-way ticket with almost no money intending to stay. discus

Quote:
View Post
Write a novel because he's broke?! Stop encouraging such behaviour, please! If this is novel material..then I'd should reconsider my line of work and start writing books.
You'd need a very patient editor.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Intending to visit Paris alone for a week during Christmas period. Any tips? fionaliew Travel/day trips/free time 48 03.12.2009 10:53
Intending to move from Southern California to CH HBSurfer Introductions 2 20.10.2009 03:02
intending to return bob30 Permits/visas/government 1 21.07.2007 13:57
[Votes on] November 26th (aka Money Money Money) Lob Swiss politics/news 3 22.11.2006 15:11


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:53.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0