Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #201  
Old 16.12.2010, 14:38
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Americanization

Quote:
View Post
I am naturalized, so I vote. When I voted for shops in airports and train stations to be open on Sunday, I was attacked (!) for my 'Americanization' of Switzerland - how I have no respect for the traditions, etc.
I just shrugged and said, 'Well, I'm Swiss now, and I vote.'
Sometimes it gets a little old, being the 'token American' all the time.
Elar
..well, until they realize that their idiotic system is doing more harm than good, I guess we'll have to settle for these limitations.
Reply With Quote
  #202  
Old 16.12.2010, 15:34
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,505
Groaned at 2,578 Times in 1,840 Posts
Thanked 39,646 Times in 18,685 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Americanization

Quote:
View Post
I am naturalized, so I vote. When I voted for shops in airports and train stations to be open on Sunday, I was attacked (!) for my 'Americanization' of Switzerland - how I have no respect for the traditions, etc.
Well, I'm happy that my vote canceled yours!

I like a quiet Sunday, so I can get on one of my motorcycles and ride for hours and not encounter any traffic!

Now, if all the northerners would just stay home, instead of coming down here for the weekend, I'd really enjoy my weekends, though at least the north/south traffic is always in the opposite direction that I'm travelling.

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user groans at st2lemans for this post:
  #203  
Old 16.12.2010, 15:36
rrs rrs is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Zuerich
Posts: 986
Groaned at 91 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 348 Times in 226 Posts
rrs is considered unworthyrrs is considered unworthyrrs is considered unworthyrrs is considered unworthy
Re: Americanization

Quote:
View Post
Well, I'm happy that my vote canceled yours!

I like a quiet Sunday, so I can get on one of my motorcycles and ride for hours and not encounter any traffic!

Now, if all the northerners would just stay home, instead of coming down here for the weekend, I'd really enjoy my weekends, though at least the north/south traffic is always in the opposite direction that I'm travelling.

Tom
Isn't quiet and motorcycles an oxymoron.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank rrs for this useful post:
  #204  
Old 16.12.2010, 15:38
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,505
Groaned at 2,578 Times in 1,840 Posts
Thanked 39,646 Times in 18,685 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Americanization

Quote:
View Post
Isn't quiet and motorcycles an oxymoron.
I meant quiet in the sense of nobody else on the roads!

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #205  
Old 16.12.2010, 15:39
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Americanization

Quote:
View Post
I meant quiet in the sense of nobody else on the roads!

Tom
..yeah, ever heard of Sunday drivers?
Reply With Quote
  #206  
Old 16.12.2010, 15:41
Ouchboy's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 3,345
Groaned at 67 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 5,739 Times in 2,182 Posts
Ouchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Americanization

Quote:
View Post
I like a quiet Sunday, so I can get on one of my motorcycles and ride for hours and not encounter any traffic!

Reply With Quote
  #207  
Old 16.12.2010, 15:49
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 338 Times in 274 Posts
Thanked 26,263 Times in 11,000 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Americanization

Quote:
View Post
Eh... Stuttgart, Munich, Freiburg.... you see one German (city) you've seen them all.

Not true, Germany has some absolutely awesome cities (eg Hamburg, Berlin, Dresden), just that Stuttgart isn't really in that class IMHO.
Reply With Quote
  #208  
Old 16.12.2010, 16:51
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Americanization

Quote:
View Post
Not true, Germany has some absolutely awesome cities (eg Hamburg, Berlin, Dresden), just that Stuttgart isn't really in that class IMHO.

Oh, what's it got to do with being true. It's a matter of IMHOpinion.
Reply With Quote
  #209  
Old 16.12.2010, 16:53
California Dreamer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,082
Groaned at 209 Times in 101 Posts
Thanked 1,217 Times in 623 Posts
California Dreamer is considered unworthyCalifornia Dreamer is considered unworthyCalifornia Dreamer is considered unworthyCalifornia Dreamer is considered unworthy
Re: Americanization

I am sure that the swiss women wouldnt mind "Americanization" of equal pay.
Reply With Quote
  #210  
Old 16.12.2010, 17:14
SamWeiseVielleicht's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bern
Posts: 725
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 893 Times in 397 Posts
SamWeiseVielleicht has a reputation beyond reputeSamWeiseVielleicht has a reputation beyond reputeSamWeiseVielleicht has a reputation beyond reputeSamWeiseVielleicht has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Americanization

Quote:
View Post
I am sure that the swiss women wouldnt mind "Americanization" of equal pay.

Errr... you are trying to defend the US by going "tu quouque" on a forum mostly populated by non-swiss.

As for the equal pay, swiss women would rather look at Scandinavia for that matter than the US when it comes to equality (you're number 40 and want to get better, you won't look out for number 31, you'll look out for number one).
Reply With Quote
  #211  
Old 16.12.2010, 17:25
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Americanization

Quote:
View Post
Well, one thing is sure, American motorcycles are truly crap in the performance department compared to pretty much anything.

Tom
I cannot speak for the USA, but I can speak of thousands of kilometers driven in the USA, and can say that I never saw many people aboard of motorcycles, almost zero in Texas and Louisiana and not too many in GA/SC/PA/NJ/NY and so, in view of the size of that country, I regard motorcycles as almost irrelevant in the USA . This observation is based on lengthy visits in 1976, 1982, 1988 and 1997 . The first visit was to New York, Washington/DC, NiagaraFalls, Chicago, MtRushmore, YellowstoneNatlPk, SanFrancisco, LosAngeles, SaltLakeCity, LasVegas, GrandCanyon/BryceCanyon, NewOrleans, BatonRouge, Houston, SanAntonio, Killeen, Austin, Dallas, Tyler, Longview, Marshall, Shreveport/LA. The second visit was to NewYork, NewOrleans, Houston, SanAntonio, Waco, Killeen, Austin, Tyler, Longview, Marshall, Harlingen, Brownsville, Shreveport, Miami, Atlanta, Savannah, Charleston, Philadelphia, Washington/DC, NewYork, the third one was to NewYork, Philadelphia, Washington/DC, Charleston, Savannah, Miami, NewOrleans, Houston, SanAntonio, Austin, Dallas, Tyler, Longview, Marshall, Shreveport and NewYork, and the 4th to Atlanta, MyrtleBeach, Columbia/SC, Wilmington/NC, Atlanta, TX..., and Atlanta again . This means it is quite a collection, and nowhere as many motorcycles as is the usual thing in Europe, which to me leads to the conclusion that the demand for such stuff in the USA has its narrow limits ! You may say, on the negative side, that most US-Americans do not have much understanding for public transport, on the positive side you have to say that most US-Americans have a matter-of-fact wise, relaxed and intelligent approach to car-driving, and generally, except Miami, a very relaxed, calm and tolerant way of driving.

What I withing 3 weeks in 1976 learnt in regard to motorcar-driving in the USA in the following 3 decades saved me a lot of money and nerves. And if there are people in the world who DISlike NY, the NewYorkers in my mind are the best car-drivers in the world, relaxed and tolerant, sportive and active and speedy in a decent way, swift in reacting to circumstances, in short absolutely splendid in every way !
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #212  
Old 16.12.2010, 17:48
hoppy
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Americanization

Quote:
View Post
I cannot speak for the USA, but I can speak of thousands of kilometers driven in the USA, and can say that I never saw many people aboard of motorcycles, almost zero in Texas and Louisiana and not too many in GA/SC/PA/NJ/NY and so, in view of the size of that country, I regard motorcycles as almost irrelevant in the USA . This observation is based on lengthy visits in 1976, 1982, 1988 and 1997 . The first visit was to New York, Washington/DC, NiagaraFalls, Chicago, MtRushmore, YellowstoneNatlPk, SanFrancisco, LosAngeles, SaltLakeCity, LasVegas, GrandCanyon/BryceCanyon, NewOrleans, BatonRouge, Houston, SanAntonio, Killeen, Austin, Dallas, Tyler, Longview, Marshall, Shreveport/LA. The second visit was to NewYork, NewOrleans, Houston, SanAntonio, Waco, Killeen, Austin, Tyler, Longview, Marshall, Harlingen, Brownsville, Shreveport, Miami, Atlanta, Savannah, Charleston, Philadelphia, Washington/DC, NewYork, the third one was to NewYork, Philadelphia, Washington/DC, Charleston, Savannah, Miami, NewOrleans, Houston, SanAntonio, Austin, Dallas, Tyler, Longview, Marshall, Shreveport and NewYork, and the 4th to Atlanta, MyrtleBeach, Columbia/SC, Wilmington/NC, Atlanta, TX..., and Atlanta again . This means it is quite a collection, and nowhere as many motorcycles as is the usual thing in Europe, which to me leads to the conclusion that the demand for such stuff in the USA has its narrow limits ! You may say, on the negative side, that most US-Americans do not have much understanding for public transport, on the positive side you have to say that most US-Americans have a matter-of-fact wise, relaxed and intelligent approach to car-driving, and generally, except Miami, a very relaxed, calm and tolerant way of driving.

What I withing 3 weeks in 1976 learnt in regard to motorcar-driving in the USA in the following 3 decades saved me a lot of money and nerves. And if there are people in the world who DISlike NY, the NewYorkers in my mind are the best car-drivers in the world, relaxed and tolerant, sportive and active and speedy in a decent way, swift in reacting to circumstances, in short absolutely splendid in every way !
I think that there has been a growth in motorcyclists in the US; lots of midlife crisis men on Harleys-not my type- except perhaps the V-rods.

I'm not sure if the US buying spree has been curtailed by the economic depression, but there have been a lot of deaths from men who used to ride and then get back in the saddle 30 years later.

New Yorkers are dangerous drivers. On my last visit to CA, every time I waited to cross the road, all the drivers would stop, except two cars that had NY plates. We motorcycle all summer in the NE (it's a short summer), we don't mind snow or rain but the cold?

My husband aims to retire somewhere warm possible CA, so that we have motorcycles and only one car. We have a group of friends begging for us to organize a European Alp tour, but I've been there done that.
Reply With Quote
  #213  
Old 16.12.2010, 19:30
Ark3000's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: India
Posts: 105
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 45 Times in 22 Posts
Ark3000 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Americanization

Quote:
View Post
Harleys-not my type- except perhaps the V-rods.
Being an absolute Hayabusa fan,I can feel your thoughts
Vrods are the fast Harleys,not the typical cruise ones
Reply With Quote
  #214  
Old 16.12.2010, 22:03
hoppy
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Americanization

Quote:
View Post
Being an absolute Hayabusa fan,I can feel your thoughts
Vrods are the fast Harleys,not the typical cruise ones
I love Hyabusas, unfortunately my husband prefers BMW. Here's the sound and look of a Harley

Sounds American

And now the japnes



And lastly the Germans

Reply With Quote
  #215  
Old 16.12.2010, 22:15
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,505
Groaned at 2,578 Times in 1,840 Posts
Thanked 39,646 Times in 18,685 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Americanization

Quote:
View Post
I love Hyabusas, unfortunately my husband prefers BMW.
I like my friend's modified '74 750/5 (bored out to 900), but the brakes suck so bad that I bent a valve one time riding it, as I didn't realize that at 8k RPM the valves hit the pistons! (I was using a lot of engine braking).

And trying to fit one's feet between the pedals and the carbs isn't easy, and I'm only a 43!

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #216  
Old 16.12.2010, 22:29
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Americanization

Quote:
View Post
I am naturalized, so I vote. When I voted for shops in airports and train stations to be open on Sunday, I was attacked (!) for my 'Americanization' of Switzerland - how I have no respect for the traditions, etc.
I just shrugged and said, 'Well, I'm Swiss now, and I vote.'
Sometimes it gets a little old, being the 'token American' all the time.
Elar
Do not get mistaken or frustrated ! I, when starting to fold banknotes the American way suddenly was attacked for being "so American" and many things I learnt to know and to like in the USA when being introduced here were condemned as being "soooo American" ... I never hesitated to use whatever useful I on visits there found useful and nice ...
Reply With Quote
  #217  
Old 16.12.2010, 22:32
hoppy
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Americanization

Quote:
View Post
I like my friend's modified '74 750/5 (bored out to 900), but the brakes suck so bad that I bent a valve one time riding it, as I didn't realize that at 8k RPM the valves hit the pistons! (I was using a lot of engine braking).

And trying to fit one's feet between the pedals and the carbs isn't easy, and I'm only a 43!

Tom
That's the best thing about the US they cope for a very wide range of sizes.
Reply With Quote
  #218  
Old 16.12.2010, 22:35
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,505
Groaned at 2,578 Times in 1,840 Posts
Thanked 39,646 Times in 18,685 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Americanization

Quote:
View Post
That's the best thing about the US they cope for a very wide range of sizes.
?????:conf used:

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #219  
Old 16.12.2010, 22:36
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Americanization

Quote:
View Post
..well, until they realize that their idiotic system is doing more harm than good, I guess we'll have to settle for these limitations.
what you describe here as "their" system is the one in Europe for a century. That Switzerland overall is among the slower ones hardly is surprising, but to describe it as "their" is simply wrong
Reply With Quote
  #220  
Old 16.12.2010, 22:43
hoppy
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Americanization

Quote:
View Post
?????:conf used:

Tom
I have big feet!
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0