Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 14.12.2010, 15:55
Peg A's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 4,422
Groaned at 158 Times in 125 Posts
Thanked 5,428 Times in 2,510 Posts
Peg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Americanization

Quote:
View Post

Any crap they give you about "quality of life" or "equality for small firms" is just junk econ from the unions and farmers.
Thank you for your opinion.

While I understand quite well the "value" of convenience for having shops open on Sundays, that's all it is, convenient.

There ARE grocery shops (usually in or near the main train stations) which are open later hours during the week and on Sundays, there is no need for them to ALL be open late and weekend hours.

Quote:
View Post
Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
Is there any way you can make that stop showing on E.V.E.R.Y. post?
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Peg A for this useful post:
  #82  
Old 14.12.2010, 15:58
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Americanization

Quote:
View Post
Is there any way you can make that stop showing on E.V.E.R.Y. post?
..maybe I should add a tag as well.

-Sent from my office, I know I should be doing some work...but daaamn, I'm so efficient, plus I don't really have any pressing business to take care of...thus I tend to haunt the Englisforum as every other interesting site is being blocked...and I'm off in about 10min.

How's that for a tag?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank lost_inbroad for this useful post:
  #83  
Old 14.12.2010, 16:39
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Americanization

Quote:
View Post
What I take from those photos and my own experiences in the US is not that America is trying to be like other places, but that America is a place where legal immigrants from other places are free to retain and express their own identities and cultures.

Actually, Americans like to romanticize other cultures. We have a representation of every culture in the world in America, so in a sense, it looks and feels like the future of other countries.

America has always been globalized and diverse, which accounts for the eclectic expression of culture, whereas most of the countries of the world have a dominant culture. So we invent culture, and others wish they can.

It's just that we come out with new things, some of which is crap, but the world seems to love to lap it up anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 14.12.2010, 16:43
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Americanization

Quote:
View Post
Actually, Americans like to romanticize other cultures. We have a representation of every culture in the world in America, so in a sense, it looks and feels like the future of other countries.

America has always been globalized and diverse, which accounts for the eclectic expression of culture, whereas most of the countries of the world have a dominant culture. So we invent culture, and others wish they can.

It's just that we come out with new things, some of which is crap, but the world seems to love to lap it up anyway.
Troll..................
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #85  
Old 14.12.2010, 16:46
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Americanization

Quote:
View Post
Troll..................

Jealous.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 14.12.2010, 16:48
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 338 Times in 274 Posts
Thanked 26,263 Times in 11,000 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Americanization

Quote:
View Post
Actually, Americans like to romanticize other cultures. We have a representation of every culture in the world in America, so in a sense, it looks and feels like the future of other countries.

America has always been globalized and diverse, which accounts for the eclectic expression of culture, whereas most of the countries of the world have a dominant culture. So we invent culture, and others wish they can.

It's just that we come out with new things, some of which is crap, but the world seems to love to lap it up anyway.
America maybe loves to imitate the semblance of other cultures but mostly it's a disneyworld-style front tacked onto the basic framework of their own culture. All the immigrants do their best to be Americans and most get there in less than a generation while the Americans love the romantic feeling of being able to savour other cultures as long as they don't have to stretch beyond their rather limited comfort zone. Places like London are far more genuinely multicultural than anything I've ever seen in America.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at amogles for this post:
  #87  
Old 14.12.2010, 16:48
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Work in ZH, live in SZ
Posts: 12,352
Groaned at 363 Times in 293 Posts
Thanked 23,676 Times in 8,569 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Americanization

Quote:
View Post
America has always been globalized and diverse, which accounts for the eclectic expression of culture, whereas most of the countries of the world have a dominant culture. So we invent culture, and others wish they can.
So the US has always been a cosmopolitan melting pot without a dominant culture?!



The next thing you tell us is that the black people came because the weather in Africa was so bad...
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 14.12.2010, 16:54
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Americanization

Quote:
View Post
Jealous.
and again................
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 14.12.2010, 16:57
Peg A's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 4,422
Groaned at 158 Times in 125 Posts
Thanked 5,428 Times in 2,510 Posts
Peg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Americanization

Quote:
View Post
So the US has always been a cosmopolitan melting pot without a dominant culture?!

There are those who would want everyone to believe that there is a dominant culture in the US but really, if you travel between major areas (east to west coasts, north and south, through the midwest, compare the mountain folk from Georgia n Tennessee vs the Rocky Mtn areas) to know that there is actually NOT a truly dominant culture in the US.

A specific subset of culture that gets "exported" and highlighted in world view yes, dominant across the board IN the US though, no.

Quote:
View Post
The next thing you tell us is that the black people came because the weather in Africa was so bad...

The surface of that may be something resembling truth, the slaves had their own culture, however "behind the scenes" it was kept at the time. If there HAD been that dominant a culture in the US 300 years ago, there would not be quite the same cultural diversity there is today.
__________________
The Joys of Opticianry
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 14.12.2010, 16:59
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Work in ZH, live in SZ
Posts: 12,352
Groaned at 363 Times in 293 Posts
Thanked 23,676 Times in 8,569 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Americanization

Quote:
View Post
and again................
and the community seems not too amused either about the position...

Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 14.12.2010, 17:00
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Americanization

Quote:
View Post
The surface of that may be something resembling truth, the slaves had their own culture, however "behind the scenes" it was kept at the time. If there HAD been that dominant a culture in the US 300 years ago, there would not be quite the same cultural diversity there is today.
Reminds me of tourist who come to America and say the food sucks. It's because they don't know where to go and follow the tourist guides. Each ethnic community in America maintain their cultural depth. It's just that not everyone is privy to get behind the scenes.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #92  
Old 14.12.2010, 17:01
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Americanization

Quote:
View Post
So the US has always been a cosmopolitan melting pot without a dominant culture?!



The next thing you tell us is that the black people came because the weather in Africa was so bad...
Actually, Africans were brought to America by Europeans.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank lost_inbroad for this useful post:
  #93  
Old 14.12.2010, 17:01
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 338 Times in 274 Posts
Thanked 26,263 Times in 11,000 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Americanization

Quote:
View Post
Well, what I've never understood about weekend and evening shopping in Switzerland, or anywhere else for that matter is, people like me have a job. Sometimes I can't get away from my job until late, later than normal shopping times allow. I also can't shop on Sunday. Now if you think about it, most people have time to shop in the evenings and on weekends because they don't have to work, so if you close the shop say on Wed. and open Sunday instead, you make more money on Sunday because there are more people in your shop.
The other really strange thing here is the opening of all the new "mini marts" as we call them in the US. They are usually gas stations with a small store and when I lived here in the "Mittelande" in 2001-2003 they didn't exist. When I moved back in 2009 there were a couple and now they are opening on every traffic circle. There must be 10 where there was 1 a year ago. These stores are open on Sunday, late in the evening, all kinds of "odd" things for Switzerland. What's up with that?
Switzerland is still relatively compact and mixed in terms of land usage and distances are comparatively short, so on their way home from work many people can arrange to pass a shop of some description. A friend of mine lives in Texas and I never believed this until I first spent a week there staying with him but there is really no shop of any description anywhere within a reasonable radius as it's all been concentrated into mega malls so he has no choice but to make dedicated trips and that often means very late at night or on Sunday. If Sunday shopping were banned in the USA the working population would starve to death.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 14.12.2010, 17:02
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Americanization

Quote:
View Post
and the community seems not too amused either about the position...

Looks like a bunch of Brits with feathers on their head.

Last edited by lost_inbroad; 15.12.2010 at 10:15.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 14.12.2010, 17:28
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Monaco
Posts: 514
Groaned at 61 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 658 Times in 281 Posts
scrambled has a reputation beyond reputescrambled has a reputation beyond reputescrambled has a reputation beyond reputescrambled has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Americanization

Quote:
View Post
America maybe loves to imitate the semblance of other cultures but mostly it's a disneyworld-style front tacked onto the basic framework of their own culture. All the immigrants do their best to be Americans and most get there in less than a generation while the Americans love the romantic feeling of being able to savour other cultures as long as they don't have to stretch beyond their rather limited comfort zone. Places like London are far more genuinely multicultural than anything I've ever seen in America.
Could you provide some examples to go with such sweeping generalizations?
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 14.12.2010, 17:29
ximix's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: UK (formerly Zurich)
Posts: 2,098
Groaned at 22 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 2,315 Times in 1,179 Posts
ximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Americanization

Quote:
View Post
and the community seems not too amused either about the position...

Quote:
View Post
Looks like bunch of Brits with feathers on their head.
@LiB - The spirit of a heap big powerful British medicine man has been invoked - so there!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ximix for this useful post:
  #97  
Old 14.12.2010, 17:35
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Americanization

Quote:
View Post
@LiB - The spirit of a heap big powerful British medicine man has been invoked - so there!

From top left: Amogles, Downerbuzz, Dodgyken, Economisto, GastroGnome
From bottom left: Mirfield, Karl (we gave him to the Brits), DB (crossed legs), Porsch1909, Slammer (LIB ducks for cover before arrows start flying)

Last edited by lost_inbroad; 15.12.2010 at 10:16.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank lost_inbroad for this useful post:
  #98  
Old 14.12.2010, 17:42
swissbob
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Americanization

Quote:
View Post

From top left: Amogles, Downerbuzz, Dodgyken, Economisto, GastroGnome
From bottom left: Mirfield, Karl (we gave him to the Brits), DB (crossed legs), Porsch1909, Slammer (LIB ducks for cover before bows start flying)
At first I thought this was some sort of sick joke but then I looked more closely - that really is DB isn't it?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #99  
Old 14.12.2010, 17:45
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Americanization

They all look like fearsome warriors except for the one you gave me who looks like a participant of the parish bring and buy...pearl necklace indeed....
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #100  
Old 14.12.2010, 17:47
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Americanization

Quote:
View Post
They all look like fearsome warriors except for the one you gave me who looks like a participant of the parish bring and buy...pearl necklace indeed....
..no see, he's the one with the sturn, calculating look. I figured he's in charge of finance. Plus he's got a cool hat.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0