Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 17.02.2011, 19:49
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zug
Posts: 214
Groaned at 20 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 51 Times in 31 Posts
NikItaly has made some interesting contributions
Re: Neighbour issues...help please

Quote:
View Post
Hi

Wasn't sure whether to put this in the complaints corner or not but it isn't really a complaint but a plea for advice! So here it is...

We live in a row of terraced houses in a small village in Canton Aargau. Our neighbour has decided to "advise" us on a series of matters. From refusing to let me use a compo-bag to dispose of green matter (they sell them at Migros!), lecturing my husband on the guests parking (I use it during the day as I am in and out a lot and have a small child to lug to and from the parking) to telling us that we shouldn't let our dog jump to catch her frizbee as it will hurt her back legs (she's a Springer Spaniel lol)

Is she genuinly trying to help but the language issue is getting in the way (she only speaking Swiss G and my husband is fairly fluent but not totally). Is this normal or does she just not like us. Any ideas on how to deal with her would be most welcome!

What do you reckon?
I would advise this way, which is the way I'd make it, I'd tell her (after a proper translation in her dialect): "Mind your own business, please don't bother me with these bullshits, life is too short, please get out and try to have a decent life, hopefully, do some sex to relax a bit."
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank NikItaly for this useful post:
  #42  
Old 18.02.2011, 15:03
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Rheinfelden AG
Posts: 245
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 154 Times in 93 Posts
noella has made some interesting contributions
Re: Neighbour issues...help please

Reminds me of the day we moved in here I had just got off a 14 hour flight on my own with 3 children and was awaiting 2 containers of furniture. It was 7am , dying for a cuppa kids hungry but no plates , bowls etc etc when the doorbell rings. Hoping it was a kindly neighbour with an offer of coffee it was in fact a neighbour telling me that she hoped I was going to be taking German lessons asap as this street does not like foreigners and BTW how long had I breastfed my youngest as she looked too small!!!!!! Not so sure I smiled and was polite!
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank noella for this useful post:
  #43  
Old 18.02.2011, 15:09
MacGregor's Daughter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Zug
Posts: 3,169
Groaned at 31 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,463 Posts
MacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Neighbour issues...help please

Quote:
View Post
Reminds me of the day we moved in here I had just got off a 14 hour flight on my own with 3 children and was awaiting 2 containers of furniture. It was 7am , dying for a cuppa kids hungry but no plates , bowls etc etc when the doorbell rings. Hoping it was a kindly neighbour with an offer of coffee it was in fact a neighbour telling me that she hoped I was going to be taking German lessons asap as this street does not like foreigners and BTW how long had I breastfed my youngest as she looked too small!!!!!! Not so sure I smiled and was polite!
Unbelievable!
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 18.02.2011, 16:28
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Neighbour issues...help please

Quote:
View Post
Unbelievable!
When I was preggo of the first, a old man asked me if I was going to breastfeed.... Pervert!
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 18.02.2011, 16:41
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,231
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,934 Times in 4,178 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Neighbour issues...help please

Quote:
View Post
...I once had a guy tell me that my car was parked crooked. I was so surprised I actually moved it. Today I would still move it, but spend so much time getting it EXACTLY right that I'd make my point more effectively than if I told him to off.
Even better... ask him to help you get it right, and in the process keep him there for a good 45 min just somehow getting it wrong again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Carlos R for this useful post:
  #46  
Old 18.02.2011, 19:45
gata's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Geneva
Posts: 3,908
Groaned at 67 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 3,652 Times in 1,710 Posts
gata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Neighbour issues...help please

My neighbour today rang the bell at 10am and asked me for the key to the laundry room since his girlfriend took his by mistake. He was all smiles and extremely polite and he said he will return it at around 12 or 1.

So 1 goes past, no sign of the neighbour. At 2 i started to get nervous since i was supposed to leave and i wanted my key. And because i was half asleep i didnt ask his name to know where he lives. So i took a wild guess and luckily i found his house from the first try. Saved me to knock on all doors in the building!

Anw so the guy grumpily opens the door and looks at me and says a ok its for the key. And he gives it to me. No apologies no nothing! Idiot
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 18.02.2011, 20:23
the_clangers's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO was St Prex, VD
Posts: 1,999
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 1,185 Times in 697 Posts
the_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Neighbour issues...help please

Quote:
View Post
My neighbour today rang the bell at 10am and asked me for the key to the laundry room since his girlfriend took his by mistake. He was all smiles and extremely polite and he said he will return it at around 12 or 1.

So 1 goes past, no sign of the neighbour. At 2 i started to get nervous since i was supposed to leave and i wanted my key. And because i was half asleep i didnt ask his name to know where he lives. So i took a wild guess and luckily i found his house from the first try. Saved me to knock on all doors in the building!

Anw so the guy grumpily opens the door and looks at me and says a ok its for the key. And he gives it to me. No apologies no nothing! Idiot
Well you have learned a valuable lesson. Not to give that idiot your key next time.

People should at least have the dignity to look slightly embarrassed when they screw up that badly.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank the_clangers for this useful post:
  #48  
Old 18.02.2011, 21:12
araqyl's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Zurich, West-side
Posts: 2,187
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,326 Times in 703 Posts
araqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Neighbour issues...help please

Quote:
View Post
My neighbour today rang the bell at 10am and asked me for the key to the laundry room since his girlfriend took his by mistake. He was all smiles and extremely polite and he said he will return it at around 12 or 1.

So 1 goes past, no sign of the neighbour. At 2 i started to get nervous since i was supposed to leave and i wanted my key. And because i was half asleep i didnt ask his name to know where he lives. So i took a wild guess and luckily i found his house from the first try. Saved me to knock on all doors in the building!

Anw so the guy grumpily opens the door and looks at me and says a ok its for the key. And he gives it to me. No apologies no nothing! Idiot
If he's ever got the hide to ask for it again, agree, say you need to find it, then close the door. Go have a nice cold beer, read the newspaper (make sure you do the whole crossword too!), maybe have a second beer ... and after all that, wander back to the door to apologise that you couldn't find the key.

Sadly, I don't think I'd ever do that to a neighbour if I intend to live in the building for a long time - but fortunately each apartment in my current building has their own washing machine inside the apartment itself.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank araqyl for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mr. Angry is my neighbour... Sarneraa Housing in general 40 07.02.2011 14:56
My neighbour hates me. Phil's grandson Complaints corner 21 29.03.2010 20:52
Very sensitive Neighbour jras2636 Daily life 5 10.01.2010 14:08
Neighbour issues Darcy1 Housing in general 40 06.01.2010 22:18
Noisy Neighbour DomLoff Housing in general 8 24.06.2009 09:46


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0