Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 26.02.2011, 20:35
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: St Elsewhere
Posts: 332
Groaned at 15 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 320 Times in 151 Posts
Brass427 has earned the respect of manyBrass427 has earned the respect of manyBrass427 has earned the respect of many
Re: Crossing the road, cars failing to stop

Wouldn't it be easier to have a crossing light instead of 'eye contact'? Sure, the lights are more expensive, but you don't need them at all intersections. If there is a large amount of wheeled traffic and pedestrian traffic at the same intersection, put in a light. If the intersection isn't that busy, then the pedestrian should wait. They can stop a lot easier than a car and create fewer potential accidents by waiting. It's quite simple.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 26.02.2011, 22:42
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. Gallen
Posts: 10
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
crystalshui has no particular reputation at present
Re: Crossing the road, cars failing to stop

hmmm, come to Ticino, you will know how crazy the drivers here are...
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 27.02.2011, 01:18
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Crossing the road, cars failing to stop

Quote:
View Post
why do u even bother to post?
because to me it was a good lesson for life. If I see very old persons or children at a pedestrians crossing I go to the "traffic-side" of them and in case of doubt wave to the drivers. You can do a lot with not so much "work" really to help.

and again, it at times is NOT the fault of the driver(s)
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 27.02.2011, 01:22
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Crossing the road, cars failing to stop

Quote:
View Post
Wouldn't it be easier to have a crossing light instead of 'eye contact'? Sure, the lights are more expensive, but you don't need them at all intersections. If there is a large amount of wheeled traffic and pedestrian traffic at the same intersection, put in a light. If the intersection isn't that busy, then the pedestrian should wait. They can stop a lot easier than a car and create fewer potential accidents by waiting. It's quite simple.
there are intersections where the road traffic does not stop for many minutes. And no crossing light is around. So that your expectation simply is not realistic.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 27.02.2011, 01:25
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Crossing the road, cars failing to stop

Quote:
View Post
there are intersections where the road traffic does not stop for many minutes. And no crossing light is around. So that your expectation simply is not realistic.
Er, yeah. That's what he said:

Busy intersection: light

Quiet intersection: no light

Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 27.02.2011, 05:02
araqyl's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Zurich, West-side
Posts: 2,187
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,326 Times in 703 Posts
araqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Crossing the road, cars failing to stop

Quote:
View Post
Wouldn't it be easier to have a crossing light instead of 'eye contact'? Sure, the lights are more expensive, but you don't need them at all intersections. If there is a large amount of wheeled traffic and pedestrian traffic at the same intersection, put in a light. If the intersection isn't that busy, then the pedestrian should wait. They can stop a lot easier than a car and create fewer potential accidents by waiting. It's quite simple.
In Zurich City there are many intersections / crossings with lights, as the traffic flow during the day could fairly be called continuous.

Where I live (Adliswil) I have never seen a single traffic light as, even on the main street, there are many breaks in traffic.

So, in my experience, this is the case: busy places have lights, 'quiet' places don't.

I do not agree with the 'pedestrian should wait' option - especially in rain (or other uncomfortable weather). Drivers are sitting back at ease, enjoying their favourite music, in climate-controlled comfort ... while pedestrians are on their feet, possibly carrying a heavy load of shopping (or tired after a long day of work!) and just want to get to their destination so they can relax.
Oh, and a car driven by an aware and capable driver can stop quite easily at a crossing without creating an accident, as the driver will recognise that there is a crossing ahead, slow down a little and check for pedestrians.
It's quite simple.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Employer failing to provide me with tax information for 2009 killylastin Finance/banking/taxation 2 25.03.2010 20:42
[Zürich] Winter 08/09 road/off-road rides Salsa_Lover Social events 3 18.12.2008 16:45
Fourth Thursday Night Road Bike Road dakman Social events 84 20.06.2008 14:15
Failing digibox PaddyG TV/internet/telephone 15 04.06.2008 11:37
Border Crossing (France) Outerpalli Transportation/driving 3 08.03.2007 11:31


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0