Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #361  
Old 22.07.2011, 13:50
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Soup Spoons [and other things "missing" in Switzerland]

Quote:
View Post
You might clarify who you mean by "us"
The English, of course.

We were called Britons in those days.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #362  
Old 22.07.2011, 14:04
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lenk im Simmental
Posts: 1,123
Groaned at 95 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 750 Times in 404 Posts
Keith66 has earned the respect of manyKeith66 has earned the respect of manyKeith66 has earned the respect of many
Re: Soup Spoons [and other things "missing" in Switzerland]

Quote:
The English, of course.

We were called Britons in those days.
The English were'nt there when we were called Britons.So, therfore the Celts are the ones that know how to eat!!
Reply With Quote
  #363  
Old 22.07.2011, 14:07
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Soup Spoons [and other things "missing" in Switzerland]

Quote:
View Post
The English were'nt there when we were called Britons.So, therfore the Celts are the ones that know how to eat!!
Genetic research shows that 80% of the inhabitants of the British Isles are descended from the first immigrants to arrive at the end of the last Ice Age.

Therefore most people who describe themselves as English are actually Britons.



The only thing Celts know how to eat is humble pie.


Reply With Quote
  #364  
Old 22.07.2011, 14:08
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Soup Spoons [and other things "missing" in Switzerland]

Quote:
View Post
The English were'nt there when we were called Britons.So, therfore the Celts are the ones that know how to eat!!
> the Celts were driven out to Wales and Ireland
> the English came over from Northern Germany and drove Roman Britain into mysery and disaster
> the Celts however kept up some influence in what later became France and Switzerland
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #365  
Old 22.07.2011, 14:12
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lenk im Simmental
Posts: 1,123
Groaned at 95 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 750 Times in 404 Posts
Keith66 has earned the respect of manyKeith66 has earned the respect of manyKeith66 has earned the respect of many
Re: Soup Spoons [and other things "missing" in Switzerland]

Quote:
View Post
> the Celts were driven out to Wales and Ireland
> the English came over from Northern Germany and drove Roman Britain into mysery and disaster
> the Celts however kept up some influence in what later became France and Switzerland
The Celts were in Switzerland and France well before they were pushed into Britain!
Reply With Quote
  #366  
Old 22.07.2011, 14:14
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Soup Spoons [and other things "missing" in Switzerland]

Quote:
View Post
The Celts were in Switzerland and France well before they invaded Britain, the latest in a long line of foreign oppressors of the noble indigenous British people!
Fixed that for you.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #367  
Old 22.07.2011, 14:15
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lenk im Simmental
Posts: 1,123
Groaned at 95 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 750 Times in 404 Posts
Keith66 has earned the respect of manyKeith66 has earned the respect of manyKeith66 has earned the respect of many
Re: Soup Spoons [and other things "missing" in Switzerland]

Quote:
Genetic research shows that 80% of the inhabitants of the British Isles are descended from the first immigrants to arrive at the end of the last Ice Age.

Therefore most people who describe themselves as English are actually Britons.



The only thing Celts know how to eat is humble pie.


Genetic research doesn't really work anymore as we are all interbread. However, the English arrived in 1066. As for humble pie, I think not DB, as we are still there, still have our own culture and if not soup spons we have love spoons in Wales!!
Reply With Quote
  #368  
Old 22.07.2011, 14:16
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lenk im Simmental
Posts: 1,123
Groaned at 95 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 750 Times in 404 Posts
Keith66 has earned the respect of manyKeith66 has earned the respect of manyKeith66 has earned the respect of many
Re: Soup Spoons [and other things "missing" in Switzerland]

Quote:
Fixed that for you.
We didn't invade we were on the run!!
Reply With Quote
  #369  
Old 22.07.2011, 14:16
transition
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Soup Spoons [and other things "missing" in Switzerland]

Quote:
View Post
You might clarify who you mean by "us"
Us...

Reply With Quote
  #370  
Old 22.07.2011, 14:16
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Soup Spoons [and other things "missing" in Switzerland]

Quote:
View Post
However, the English arrived in 1066.
When did the Normans arrive, then?

Quote:
View Post
We didn't invade we were on the run!!
On the run from whom?
Reply With Quote
  #371  
Old 22.07.2011, 14:19
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lenk im Simmental
Posts: 1,123
Groaned at 95 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 750 Times in 404 Posts
Keith66 has earned the respect of manyKeith66 has earned the respect of manyKeith66 has earned the respect of many
Re: Soup Spoons [and other things "missing" in Switzerland]

Quote:
When did the Normans arrive, then?

Normans are the English!



On the run from whom?
The Romans!
Reply With Quote
  #372  
Old 22.07.2011, 14:19
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Soup Spoons [and other things "missing" in Switzerland]

Quote:
View Post
The Romans!
The Celts arrived in Britain sometime in the middle of the 1st Century BC, long before the Romans became important.
Reply With Quote
  #373  
Old 22.07.2011, 14:22
Leni's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sunny Solothurn
Posts: 942
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 765 Times in 406 Posts
Leni has a reputation beyond reputeLeni has a reputation beyond reputeLeni has a reputation beyond reputeLeni has a reputation beyond reputeLeni has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Soup Spoons [and other things "missing" in Switzerland]

Quote:
View Post
> the Celts were driven out to Wales, Ireland and Cumbria.
> the English came over from Northern Germany and drove Roman Britain into mysery and disaster
> the Celts however kept up some influence in what later became France and Switzerland
A little bit of fixing needed here.
Reply With Quote
  #374  
Old 22.07.2011, 14:23
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Soup Spoons [and other things "missing" in Switzerland]

Quote:
View Post
The Celts were in Switzerland and France well before they were pushed into Britain!
The Helvetians and Galls were NEVER pushed into Britain. The Helvetians got overrun by the Alemanns in about 400AD and mixed with the then "intruders" and it was similar with the Galls in later on France, who got overrun by other Germanic tribes and mostly got integrated. Only the local Romans and the Romanized elites fled towards what later became Italy. In Switzerland, the noble Roman cities like Aventicum and Augusta Raurica collapsed while the more "proletarian" places like Vitodorum, Turicum, Basilea, Curium etc survived
Reply With Quote
  #375  
Old 22.07.2011, 14:27
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Soup Spoons [and other things "missing" in Switzerland]

Quote:
When did the Normans arrive, then?



On the run from whom?
The Normans arrived with William The Conqueror in 1066 . The Duke of Normandy then mutated into King of England in personal union
Reply With Quote
  #376  
Old 22.07.2011, 14:27
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lenk im Simmental
Posts: 1,123
Groaned at 95 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 750 Times in 404 Posts
Keith66 has earned the respect of manyKeith66 has earned the respect of manyKeith66 has earned the respect of many
Re: Soup Spoons [and other things "missing" in Switzerland]

Quote:
The Celts arrived in Britain sometime in the middle of the 1st Century BC, long before the Romans became important.
The Celts arrived in Britain in 750BC the Romans atarted around 753BC.
Reply With Quote
  #377  
Old 22.07.2011, 14:28
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lenk im Simmental
Posts: 1,123
Groaned at 95 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 750 Times in 404 Posts
Keith66 has earned the respect of manyKeith66 has earned the respect of manyKeith66 has earned the respect of many
Re: Soup Spoons [and other things "missing" in Switzerland]

Quote:
View Post
The Helvetians and Galls were NEVER pushed into Britain. The Helvetians got overrun by the Alemanns in about 400AD and mixed with the then "intruders" and it was similar with the Galls in later on France, who got overrun by other Germanic tribes and mostly got integrated. Only the local Romans and the Romanized elites fled towards what later became Italy. In Switzerland, the noble Roman cities like Aventicum and Augusta Raurica collapsed while the more "proletarian" places like Vitodorum, Turicum, Basilea, Curium etc survived
Yes they were!
Reply With Quote
  #378  
Old 22.07.2011, 14:30
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Soup Spoons [and other things "missing" in Switzerland]

OK, a potted history for those who left school a very long time ago...

End of the last Ice Age: migrants wander over to the peninsular that would later become the island of Great Britain. Their descendants are still there, but call themselves English, Scottish or Welsh, depending upon where they live.

1st Century BC: Either the Celts arrive and take control of British society or the Britons take on aspects of Celtic culture because it is so dominant on the continent at the time (archeologists are still arguing over this one)

1st Century AD: The Romans arrive and build roads and stuff.

5th - 6th Centuries AD: The Romans bugger off home because Rome is threatened by Barbarians. Several Germanic tribes arrive in Britain and take all the best jobs and women. Some Britons flee to Wales, Cornwall and Brittany. Most probably stay and become English.

8th Century or thereabouts: the Danes arrive and take over half the country. They eventually became Yorkshire folk. Which really does explain a lot.

1066: The Normans arrive and build castles. They are very nasty. They speak French, even though they are really Norwegian.

There you go. We're all Britons, with the exception of a few people in Essex, Suffolk and Kent. We just call ourselves "English", "Welsh" or "Scottish" because the Romantic poets were obsessed with nationalism, blood and soil and all that nonsense.

HTH
Reply With Quote
  #379  
Old 22.07.2011, 14:41
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Soup Spoons [and other things "missing" in Switzerland]

Quote:
OK, a potted history for those who left school a very long time ago...

End of the last Ice Age: migrants wander over to the peninsular that would later become the island of Great Britain. Their descendants are still there, but call themselves English, Scottish or Welsh, depending upon where they live.

1st Century BC: Either the Celts arrive and take control of British society or the Britons take on aspects of Celtic culture because it is so dominant on the continent at the time (archeologists are still arguing over this one)

1st Century AD: The Romans arrive and build roads and stuff.

5th - 6th Centuries AD: The Romans bugger off home because Rome is threatened by Barbarians. Several Germanic tribes arrive in Britain and take all the best jobs and women. Some Britons flee to Wales, Cornwall and Brittany. Most probably stay and become English.

8th Century or thereabouts: the Danes arrive and take over half the country. They eventually became Yorkshire folk. Which really does explain a lot.

1066: The Normans arrive and build castles. They are very nasty. They speak French, even though they are really Norwegian.

There you go. We're all Britons, with the exception of a few people in Essex, Suffolk and Kent. We just call ourselves "English", "Welsh" or "Scottish" because the Romantic poets were obsessed with nationalism, blood and soil and all that nonsense.

HTH
> The Normans were related to their Norwegian "cousins", sure, but were the folks of the Normandie. The only part of the Normandie, which remained with the English monarchy is Jersey+Guernsey
> England got its name from the Angles (Angeln + Sachsen), in short from those two Germanic tribes which went into the British Isles and brought havoc onto Roman rule overthere.
> Strangely enough, they asked the Normandie for help against the Norwegian Vikings (the German saying "den Teufel mit dem Beelzebub austreiben" comes to mind
Reply With Quote
  #380  
Old 22.07.2011, 15:05
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: At home
Posts: 4,167
Groaned at 208 Times in 133 Posts
Thanked 6,403 Times in 2,719 Posts
Faltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Soup Spoons [and other things "missing" in Switzerland]

Quote:
View Post
It is us who have set the proper standard worldwide
That we now eat following the Russian service must be an urban legend then... I'd always believe Brits over Martians anytime, don't worry

The pedant minute of the overpaid teacher: Nordmann-territories did not necesserily mean the ones know today as Norway. Nordmannen were all people coming from the costal regions of today's southern Norway, Danmark and south-west swedish cost. That means that we can not now with certainty whether the Normands invading Hastings were great children of Norwegian, Danish or Scanian Vikings.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Faltrad for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
cooking, soups, spoons




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
missing switzerland :-( swissotter Daily life 50 20.12.2010 08:48
Missing Switzerland... thealissa Introductions 6 15.06.2010 20:37
missing NYC food - bagels & chicken soup? lewinp Daily life 22 20.02.2009 17:42


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0