Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 19.04.2011, 13:18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 43
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Magnum has no particular reputation at present
Re: American needs help from someone in Zurich or Hergiswil

Quote:
View Post
Just because I'm curious. What do you want from Sigalus? The website looks pretty obscure. In addition it's quite unusual for a reputable company to have a mobile number only.

BTW Wikipedia is fine for general information - it's also user generated as is this forum - the controversy is around something completely else.
Are you referring to Wikileaks?
  #62  
Old 19.04.2011, 13:23
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 43
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Magnum has no particular reputation at present
Re: American needs help from someone in Zurich or Hergiswil

Quote:
View Post
Wikipedia is questionable but random people you meet on the internet are more authoritative and 'fun'?

As I was reading this thread I couldn't help but wonder 'How many of you are helping someone find someone who doesn't want to be found, maybe for good reasons?'
Thanks Professor Frink. Wikipedia is something that everyone knows about, and has pretty easy access to, and is very easy to give false information. If you're on a forum like this, I highly doubt anyone's intention is to offer any false information. Everyone on here so far has been great, and very helpful. Thanks.

And don't worry, this information I'm getting is not for any evil purpose.
  #63  
Old 19.04.2011, 13:25
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 43
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Magnum has no particular reputation at present
Re: American needs help from someone in Zurich or Hergiswil

Quote:
View Post
Which is why questionable Threads sometimes get deleted by worried Mods. The stuff this guy was asking he could have found for himself had he known where to look. We just acted as signposts.
And I very much appreciate it. Long distance phone calls to Switzerland get pretty expensive in order to talk to someone in person. Not to mention, the German I learned in 5th grade has somehow escaped my brain.
  #64  
Old 19.04.2011, 13:25
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: American needs help from someone in Zurich or Hergiswil

Quote:
View Post
If you're on a forum like this, I highly doubt anyone's intention is to offer any false information.
Are you sure about that?

Quote:
View Post
Not to mention, the German I learned in 5th grade has somehow escaped my brain.
Don't worry. Hergiswil is in the heart of the Turkish speaking part of Switzerland.
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #65  
Old 19.04.2011, 13:25
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 10,653
Groaned at 280 Times in 231 Posts
Thanked 19,403 Times in 7,402 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American needs help from someone in Zurich or Hergiswil

Quote:
View Post
And don't worry, this information I'm getting is not for any evil purpose.
Yet you haven't disclosed why you are looking for this information in the first place.
This user would like to thank dodgyken for this useful post:
  #66  
Old 19.04.2011, 13:26
Longbyt's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 8,105
Groaned at 57 Times in 53 Posts
Thanked 12,980 Times in 4,732 Posts
Longbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American needs help from someone in Zurich or Hergiswil

Quote:
View Post
As I was reading this thread I couldn't help but wonder 'How many of you are helping someone find someone who doesn't want to be found, maybe for good reasons?'
In the light of this wise comment and the normal Forum policy where we delete all private phone numbers and email addresses with the exception of those given in the Commercial section, I have (I hope) deleted the actual numbers of the private mobile phone in the relevant posts. I've left the Hergiswil number as I presume it is Ok for it to show up on here. If anyone who knows more about such things than I do, thinks it, too, should be removed, PM please.
The following 2 users would like to thank Longbyt for this useful post:
  #67  
Old 19.04.2011, 13:26
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 43
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Magnum has no particular reputation at present
Re: American needs help from someone in Zurich or Hergiswil

Quote:
View Post
A financial company with something called "Black Warrior Project" ...

Thats just awesome, do you have more details about the company or the project?
My advice would be to stay far, far away from them, despite the catchy name.
  #68  
Old 19.04.2011, 13:29
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 10,653
Groaned at 280 Times in 231 Posts
Thanked 19,403 Times in 7,402 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American needs help from someone in Zurich or Hergiswil

Quote:
View Post
My advice would be to stay far, far away from them, despite the catchy name.
Still not answering the question. Everyone has been very helpful at gathering information for you - but you haven't been so enlightening. Remind me again which organisations are based in Maryland?
This user would like to thank dodgyken for this useful post:
  #69  
Old 19.04.2011, 13:33
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 43
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Magnum has no particular reputation at present
Re: American needs help from someone in Zurich or Hergiswil

Quote:
View Post
What, specifically, do you want to know about Hotel Brunig? I can confirm that it definitely exists - not just in photos I mean - and if you need knowledge you can't find on the net I can ask around or even go there (we're in the area).

Hergiswil is a very pleasant place to stay if you're coming here on business. Mountains, lake, ... so like many other parts of Switzerland. Our local large employer often suggests guests from the States stay there. It's not anywhere near Zurich though (at least not by Swiss standards of near!)
Thanks for the offer, but they emailed me back with confirmation of what I was looking for.

Every picture I've seen of Switzerland has been beautiful. I'm surprised your country doesn't get overrun by tourists.
This user would like to thank Magnum for this useful post:
  #70  
Old 19.04.2011, 13:34
Longbyt's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 8,105
Groaned at 57 Times in 53 Posts
Thanked 12,980 Times in 4,732 Posts
Longbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American needs help from someone in Zurich or Hergiswil

Quote:
View Post
Do the majority of Swiss people speak 4 languages, or are some languages dominant in certain areas?
What do we know about the Swiss? We only live here!

This part of Switzerland is German speaking - and we won't start on Swiss German - just Search for it and see the Threads - the west is more French speaking, Tessin/Ticino is Italian speaking and part of GraubŁnden/Grisons are Rumansh speaking and PLEASE don't let our couple of genuine Swiss Romansch speakers get going on that subject either - dialects, idioms and the like are recurring themes on here.

Most Swiss speak two or three languages. Many speak English but in a manner far inferior to ours! They corrupt and endanger the very existence of my mother tongue. And don't let Dougal's Breakfast and Wollishofener get started on that subject either or it will be another night shift for us tonight.
__________________
Longbyt

Last edited by Longbyt; 19.04.2011 at 13:54. Reason: typo
This user would like to thank Longbyt for this useful post:
  #71  
Old 19.04.2011, 13:35
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 7,618
Groaned at 416 Times in 279 Posts
Thanked 17,910 Times in 5,536 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American needs help from someone in Zurich or Hergiswil

Quote:
View Post
Still not answering the question. Everyone has been very helpful at gathering information for you - but you haven't been so enlightening. Remind me again which organisations are based in Maryland?
The guy is probably asleep. It's a 6 hour time difference between CH and Maryland.

I like the idea that secrecy makes Switzerland a bad place to go (mentioned by the OP.)

Is this really true or just an urban legend?

Edit: I see the OP is not sleeping - ignore my remark.

Last edited by olygirl; 19.04.2011 at 13:36. Reason: clarity
This user would like to thank olygirl for this useful post:
  #72  
Old 19.04.2011, 13:36
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: American needs help from someone in Zurich or Hergiswil

Quote:
View Post
I like the idea that secrecy makes Switzerland a bad place to go (mentioned by the OP.)

Is this really true or just an urban legend?
I could tell you... but it's a secret.
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #73  
Old 19.04.2011, 13:39
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 7,618
Groaned at 416 Times in 279 Posts
Thanked 17,910 Times in 5,536 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American needs help from someone in Zurich or Hergiswil

Quote:
View Post
Every picture I've seen of Switzerland has been beautiful. I'm surprised your country doesn't get overrun by tourists.
By keeping it expensive, we keep many tourists out.
The following 2 users would like to thank olygirl for this useful post:
  #74  
Old 19.04.2011, 13:40
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 10,653
Groaned at 280 Times in 231 Posts
Thanked 19,403 Times in 7,402 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American needs help from someone in Zurich or Hergiswil

Quote:
View Post
Edit: I see the OP is not sleeping - ignore my remark.
Why not just delete it then??
  #75  
Old 19.04.2011, 13:41
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 43
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Magnum has no particular reputation at present
Re: American needs help from someone in Zurich or Hergiswil

Quote:
View Post
Yet you haven't disclosed why you are looking for this information in the first place.
I'm investigating Sigalus regarding an accusation of fraud that they are being accused of. The scheme that they have come up with deals with international investors, including here in the U.S., the U.K. and Switzerland. If you would like any other info, just ask, I am more than happy to share. Thanks.
  #76  
Old 19.04.2011, 13:44
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 10,653
Groaned at 280 Times in 231 Posts
Thanked 19,403 Times in 7,402 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American needs help from someone in Zurich or Hergiswil

Quote:
View Post
I'm investigating Sigalus regarding an accusation of fraud that they are being accused of. The scheme that they have come up with deals with international investors, including here in the U.S., the U.K. and Switzerland. If you would like any other info, just ask, I am more than happy to share. Thanks.
On whose behalf are you investigating?

Why don't you go through the proper legal channels? Both internationally and within Swizterland?

So, how about the full story?

As for investigating - so far you've not done much of that - I am wondering how effective you'll be with the information EF has found for you.
The following 3 users would like to thank dodgyken for this useful post:
  #77  
Old 19.04.2011, 13:45
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 43
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Magnum has no particular reputation at present
Re: American needs help from someone in Zurich or Hergiswil

Quote:
View Post
In the light of this wise comment and the normal Forum policy where we delete all private phone numbers and email addresses with the exception of those given in the Commercial section, I have (I hope) deleted the actual numbers of the private mobile phone in the relevant posts. I've left the Hergiswil number as I presume it is Ok for it to show up on here. If anyone who knows more about such things than I do, thinks it, too, should be removed, PM please.
Sorry about that.
  #78  
Old 19.04.2011, 13:46
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 7,618
Groaned at 416 Times in 279 Posts
Thanked 17,910 Times in 5,536 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American needs help from someone in Zurich or Hergiswil

Quote:
View Post
I'm investigating Sigalus regarding an accusation of fraud that they are being accused of. The scheme that they have come up with deals with international investors, including here in the U.S., the U.K. and Switzerland. If you would like any other info, just ask, I am more than happy to share. Thanks.
Right. You'll have to excuse me for a moment. I've got an urgent call to make.
The following 3 users would like to thank olygirl for this useful post:
  #79  
Old 19.04.2011, 13:51
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 43
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Magnum has no particular reputation at present
Re: American needs help from someone in Zurich or Hergiswil

Quote:
View Post
What do we know about the Swiss? We only live here!

This part of Switzerland is German speaking - and we won't start on Swiss German - just Search for it and see the Threads - the west is more French speaking, Tessin/Ticino is Italian speaking and part of GraubŁnden/Grisons are Rumansh speaking and PLEASE don't let our couple of genuine Swiss Romansch speakers get going on that subject either - dialects, idioms and the like are recurring themes on here.

Most Swiss speak two or three languages. Many speak English but in a manner far inferior to ours! They corrupt and endanger the very existence of my mother tongue. And don't let Dougal's Breakfast and Wollishofener get started on that subject either or it will be another night shift for us tonight.
That's impressive. Don't Europeans have a joke that goes something like, "What do you call someone who can speak three languages? Trilingual. What do you call someone who can speak two languages? Bilingual. What do call someone who can only speak one language? American."

Unfortunately, that's not too far off the truth. Almost everyone on here has excellent command of written English as far as I can tell.

Last edited by Longbyt; 19.04.2011 at 13:56. Reason: Sorry, corrected my own typo in the quote - I thought 'existance' looked funny.
  #80  
Old 19.04.2011, 13:54
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Monaco
Posts: 514
Groaned at 61 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 658 Times in 281 Posts
scrambled has a reputation beyond reputescrambled has a reputation beyond reputescrambled has a reputation beyond reputescrambled has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American needs help from someone in Zurich or Hergiswil

Quote:
View Post
That's impressive. Don't Europeans have a joke that goes something like, "What do you call someone who can speak three languages? Trilingual. What do you call someone who can speak two languages? Bilingual. What do call someone who can only speak one language? American."

Unfortunately, that's not too far off the truth. Almost everyone on here has excellent command of written English as far as I can tell.
these arent swiss, they're brits
Closed Thread




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
American new to Zurich sparker Introductions 1 04.07.2008 15:29
Another American in Zurich jdmichels Introductions 2 21.04.2008 16:09
American in Zurich agrantx Introductions 3 12.06.2007 18:32
Another American in Zurich... Megmeister1 Introductions 3 09.05.2007 19:47


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0