Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 03.05.2011, 19:18
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 9,131
Groaned at 170 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 25,643 Times in 6,892 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Breaking down integration barriers: your opinion?

Quote:
Pots, kettles
Your random idiom generator is malfunctioning.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 03.05.2011, 19:35
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Breaking down integration barriers: your opinion?

Must be because someone has invalidated my British passport. You are a friendly soul, aren't you?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #103  
Old 03.05.2011, 19:51
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 9,131
Groaned at 170 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 25,643 Times in 6,892 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Breaking down integration barriers: your opinion?

Quote:
You are a friendly soul, aren't you?
I have my moments ;)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank adrianlondon for this useful post:
  #104  
Old 03.05.2011, 21:34
OSueco's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Aargau
Posts: 1,466
Groaned at 317 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 1,265 Times in 624 Posts
OSueco has a reputation beyond reputeOSueco has a reputation beyond reputeOSueco has a reputation beyond reputeOSueco has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Breaking down integration barriers: your opinion?

Quote:
View Post
* the "foreigners hating concept" is neither new nor invented by the SVP
* the argument about "Ueberfremdung" originates from about 1960
* the "situation" is 50 years old and not new either
* the Canton of Zurich is more than 15% of CH, and so is far more "Swiss" than Aargau ! Zurich and Basel and Geneva together make up more than a third of CH, and so are a heavy part of Switzerland
* Ever considered NON-political reasons for those particular locals not greeting you anymore ?
No the foreign concept was not invented by the SVP but made it successful and somehow "toilet-clean"...but I guess NPD was one of the first, but it's a nice club together with SD and PNOS...

50 years old issue and people still don't know who to blame...sounds like a new candidate for the definition of stupidity...

I did some thinking about why people stopped to greet us, but it's quite difficult to say, it can be things like:
- Did I forget to lawn my garden?
- Did I take my garbage out one day before?
- I didn't buy a Subaru when I changed to a new car?
- I didn't join the local gun club?
- My wife didn't join the womens club? (even though I heard foreigners are not welcome)
- I didn't go to the cosy local smokey restaurant?
- I go more often to Coop pronto than Volg?
- Somebody saw me with Lidl bags?
- I didn't change to Raiffeisen after we moved here?
- I said out loud that my son can't eat snot and it is disgusting?

so many things...so it's quite difficult to say...
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 03.05.2011, 22:58
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Breaking down integration barriers: your opinion?

Quote:
View Post
No the foreign concept was not invented by the SVP but made it successful and somehow "toilet-clean"...but I guess NPD was one of the first, but it's a nice club together with SD and PNOS...

50 years old issue and people still don't know who to blame...sounds like a new candidate for the definition of stupidity...

I did some thinking about why people stopped to greet us, but it's quite difficult to say, it can be things like:
- Did I forget to lawn my garden?
- Did I take my garbage out one day before?
- I didn't buy a Subaru when I changed to a new car?
- I didn't join the local gun club?
- My wife didn't join the womens club? (even though I heard foreigners are not welcome)
- I didn't go to the cosy local smokey restaurant?
- I go more often to Coop pronto than Volg?
- Somebody saw me with Lidl bags?
- I didn't change to Raiffeisen after we moved here?
- I said out loud that my son can't eat snot and it is disgusting?

so many things...so it's quite difficult to say...
- Here in Switzerland it was Mr James Schwarzenbach and his group (Nationale Aktion) who in the late 50ies early 60ies brought up the topic "Ueberfremdung"
- but in the 1930ies, there was the Nationale Front, which was in fact the Swiss outlet of the NSDAP. They were prohibited in 1940, but only a fool can tell me that the members disappeared.
- and what if you forgot to lawn your garden ? Sure, in case of a Schrebergarten, there always is a chap who checks that things are alright, but this usually is not done in such a strict way as you imply
- Garbage one day before ? Up to 24 hours is accepted
- why should you buy a Subaru ? Here you should buy Opel, VW, Renault, Peugeot or FIAT ! and NOT a Japanese
- If you are located in a rural area you OUGHT to join the local shooting club, even if you do not shoot, as in rural areas those clubs are most influential, and their parties are great
- never heard about womens clubs here, but am NOT an expert on this
- I never go to VOLG as there is no VOLG around anywhere here ...... the last VOLG in Greater Zurich I have seen ever disappeared in about 1962
- I have LIDL and ALDI bags with me often enough, and there between Thalwil and Winterthur is nobody who has anything against it
- Most people still are not with Raiffeisen. Which means not yet as this may change when CS gets fully Kuwait owned, and UBS gets sold to HSBC
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 04.05.2011, 16:02
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 87
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 48 Times in 17 Posts
DRJC is considered knowledgeableDRJC is considered knowledgeableDRJC is considered knowledgeable
Re: Breaking down integration barriers: your opinion?

Quote:
View Post
No the foreign concept was not invented by the SVP but made it successful and somehow "toilet-clean"...but I guess NPD was one of the first, but it's a nice club together with SD and PNOS...

50 years old issue and people still don't know who to blame...sounds like a new candidate for the definition of stupidity...

I did some thinking about why people stopped to greet us, but it's quite difficult to say, it can be things like:
- Did I forget to lawn my garden?
- Did I take my garbage out one day before?
- I didn't buy a Subaru when I changed to a new car?
- I didn't join the local gun club?
- My wife didn't join the womens club? (even though I heard foreigners are not welcome)
- I didn't go to the cosy local smokey restaurant?
- I go more often to Coop pronto than Volg?
- Somebody saw me with Lidl bags?
- I didn't change to Raiffeisen after we moved here?
- I said out loud that my son can't eat snot and it is disgusting?

so many things...so it's quite difficult to say...
Are you remotely serious?

So some people who used to say hello to you have stopped and your thought processes go down the route you described above as to why?

Just for my own sanity can you tell me why you havent done one of the following:

1. Shrugged, carried on with your day and forgotten about it 5 seconds later as you have more important things in life to worry about.

2. Said "Oi, grumpy b@stard, why you not said hello the last couple of times? Did you catch me ing your wife the other night? Now stop looking like I just wanged your bra strap and get your arse down the pub and Ill buy you a pint." or something along those lines.

Life is very very easy.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank DRJC for this useful post:
  #107  
Old 04.05.2011, 16:06
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Breaking down integration barriers: your opinion?

Quote:
View Post
Are you remotely serious?

So some people who used to say hello to you have stopped and your thought processes go down the route you described above as to why?

Just for my own sanity can you tell me why you havent done one of the following:

1. Shrugged, carried on with your day and forgotten about it 5 seconds later as you have more important things in life to worry about.

2. Said "Oi, grumpy b@stard, why you not said hello the last couple of times? Did you catch me ing your wife the other night? Now stop looking like I just wanged your bra strap and get your arse down the pub and Ill buy you a pint." or something along those lines.

Life is very very easy.
Could you please translate no2 in Swiss German for future use. thanks
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 04.05.2011, 20:22
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Breaking down integration barriers: your opinion?

Quote:
Could you please translate no2 in Swiss German for future use. thanks


Grüezi, si schrullige missgluunte Chnolleri, wärum säged's si miär eigentlich nümme Grüezi. Chümmed's si mitt miär in näkschte Schpunte da unne wonn ich ene äs erschte Pier zale


Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 04.05.2011, 20:25
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Breaking down integration barriers: your opinion?

Thanks - better go and work on pronunciation first
Perhaps you could give a female version actually.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 04.05.2011, 20:45
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Breaking down integration barriers: your opinion?

Quote:
Thanks - better go and work on pronunciation first
Perhaps you could give a female version actually.
Well, here a more female, and rather wine oriented version

Grüezi, si schrullige missgluunte Chnolleri, wärum säged's si miär eigentlich nümme Grüezi. Chümmed's si mitt miär in näkschte Schpunte da unne wo mer mittenand äs Glas Wiisse chönnd nää


Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Language barriers. MerryCynic Business & entrepreneur 3 01.05.2010 16:55
Reform of EU trade barriers mooted juice99 Swiss politics/news 24 24.06.2009 00:18
Integration Interview skwiwi Permits/visas/government 20 07.08.2008 13:47
Integration hoover Daily life 25 21.05.2008 16:50
School Integration Lena Family matters/health 10 02.06.2007 19:45


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0