Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 22.04.2011, 00:37
robogobo's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Horw (LU)
Posts: 505
Groaned at 76 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 414 Times in 216 Posts
robogobo has a reputation beyond reputerobogobo has a reputation beyond reputerobogobo has a reputation beyond reputerobogobo has a reputation beyond repute
Working on Good Friday

I'm in the middle of putting a new roof on my barn shed and just couldn't get it all finished today. I got all the noisy stuff done, but still need to simply lay the tiles back down, no banging, drilling or cutting required. Since there's rain coming Sunday and Monday, I'd like to get it finished tomorrow. Only trouble is that I hear it's something along the lines of illegal to work on Easter Friday, even moreso than a typical Sunday. But my wifes parents say it's ok. Hmm.

Anybody know a decisive answer on this? I can handle dirty looks but I don't want trouble with the polizei. I live in the kanton Luzern if that makes any difference.

Thanks.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 22.04.2011, 01:03
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: na
Posts: 11,248
Groaned at 37 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 26,732 Times in 8,253 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working on Good Friday

You shouldn't make noise on Good Friday (or any holiday, or any Sunday, or during quiet hours...)

But if your work hobby is quiet enough that the neighbors are not likely to be bothered, then I wouldn't worry too much.

My husband and I will be discretely working pursuing our hobby in the garden tomorrow.

If you are concerned about the neighbors' religious sensitivities, perhaps taking a break between 12:00 and 15:00 might be prudent.

---

(I live in a small Catholic village. While breaking the sabbath is frowned upon, the neigborhood Frauenverein take the view that an untidy vegetable patch is a far greater sin. So I cultivate my garden as needs must, even on Sundays. The good Lord will forgive me my transgressions; Frau Müller next door will not forgive me my weeds.)

Last edited by meloncollie; 22.04.2011 at 01:54.
Reply With Quote
The following 10 users would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 22.04.2011, 01:03
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,244
Groaned at 2,467 Times in 1,784 Posts
Thanked 39,338 Times in 18,541 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working on Good Friday

Quote:
View Post
I'm in the middle of putting a new roof on my barn shed and just couldn't get it all finished today. I got all the noisy stuff done, but still need to simply lay the tiles back down, no banging, drilling or cutting required. Since there's rain coming Sunday and Monday, I'd like to get it finished tomorrow. Only trouble is that I hear it's something along the lines of illegal to work on Easter Friday, even moreso than a typical Sunday. But my wifes parents say it's ok. Hmm.

Anybody know a decisive answer on this? I can handle dirty looks but I don't want trouble with the polizei. I live in the kanton Luzern if that makes any difference.

Thanks.
Come to Ticino and do the work here, it's a normal workday!

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 22.04.2011, 09:24
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Working on Good Friday

Quote:
View Post
I'm in the middle of putting a new roof on my barn shed and just couldn't get it all finished today. I got all the noisy stuff done, but still need to simply lay the tiles back down, no banging, drilling or cutting required. Since there's rain coming Sunday and Monday, I'd like to get it finished tomorrow. Only trouble is that I hear it's something along the lines of illegal to work on Easter Friday, even moreso than a typical Sunday. But my wifes parents say it's ok. Hmm.

Anybody know a decisive answer on this? I can handle dirty looks but I don't want trouble with the polizei. I live in the kanton Luzern if that makes any difference.

Thanks.
Saturday isn't a holiday and the weather also promises to be good.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 22.04.2011, 10:25
Capacitrix's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Luzern Agglo
Posts: 442
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 205 Times in 133 Posts
Capacitrix is considered knowledgeableCapacitrix is considered knowledgeableCapacitrix is considered knowledgeable
Re: Working on Good Friday

There isn't a decisive answer to this. It is similar to doing laundry on a Sunday - it depends on the neighbors. Your wife's parents (I assume they are local) probably have a better understanding of how such rules can be interpreted.

My neighbors often work in their garden on Sundays and holidays. Of course only hand work - no lawnmower, string trimmer, leaf blower, etc. It is necessary work, same as for farmers. Gardens don't understand Sundays.

As long as it's quiet you're probably good to go. Even if the police were called out, they would probably just tell you to stop.

And I agree with Melancollie. Take a long break over lunch.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Capacitrix for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 22.04.2011, 11:29
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,295
Groaned at 237 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 12,188 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working on Good Friday

Quote:
View Post
You shouldn't make noise on Good Friday (or any holiday, or any Sunday, or during quiet hours...)
Not intending to nit pic, but for "any holiday", I read any religious holiday. This coming Monday isn't a religious festival - just a free day (equivalent to a Saturday imo) - so as far as I am concerned, if I need to work around the house and garden and make noise, then I will do so (as I have in previous years when required).

Quote:
View Post
But if your work hobby is quiet enough that the neighbors are not likely to be bothered, then I wouldn't worry too much.

My husband and I will be discretely working pursuing our hobby in the garden tomorrow.

(I live in a small Catholic village. While breaking the sabbath is frowned upon, the neigborhood Frauenverein take the view that an untidy vegetable patch is a far greater sin. So I cultivate my garden as needs must, even on Sundays. The good Lord will forgive me my transgressions; Frau Müller next door will not forgive me my weeds.)
I think it is long overdue (and fortunately slowly coming, I think) that some Swiss people start to see gardening as a relaxing hobby that can be conducted in our free time what ever the day, as opposed to necessary work to maximise the efficiency of the soil in producing something worthwhile and earning it's keep.
After all it suits the farmers when they have to drive their tractors in the field at the bottom of my garden; or later in the year, with the noisy combine harvester, when the crop is ready for taking on a Sunday and it's raining on Monday - a necessity I know, but no-one bats an eyelid to this, so a bit of quite work around the house and garden, shouldn't be frowned upon, either.

Quote:
View Post
If you are concerned about the neighbors' religious sensitivities, perhaps taking a break between 12:00 and 15:00 might be prudent.
I agree, but breaking till 3:00 is a bit long - I would have thought 1:30 - 2:00 max., is OK if not making noise.

In general if not making any noise I think the OP should be free to do what he wishes in his free time (in between his 3 visits to church, of course).
You may be subjected to a few funny glances and quiet whisperings from passer-bys and neighbours, but if that's not a problem, then go ahead (imo).
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 22.04.2011, 11:52
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,244
Groaned at 2,467 Times in 1,784 Posts
Thanked 39,338 Times in 18,541 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working on Good Friday

Quote:
View Post
Not intending to nit pic, but for "any holiday", I read any religious holiday. This coming Monday isn't a religious festival -
It is here.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 22.04.2011, 11:58
Aussie kev's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fribourg, country
Posts: 102
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 41 Times in 20 Posts
Aussie kev has earned some respectAussie kev has earned some respect
Re: Working on Good Friday

In the early days,good friday was the day the small towns people would help the farmers clean the fields of stones and rocks, to pay for their sins. Enjoy a day off.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Aussie kev for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 22.04.2011, 12:17
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,295
Groaned at 237 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 12,188 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working on Good Friday

Quote:
View Post
It is here.

Tom
Not wishing to disagree with you, Tom, but how can Monday be officially related to any of the religious Easter happenings from the Bible? I'm not religious, but did go to Sunday school as a child and can still recall some of what I learnt:- Fri. crucifixion; Sun. the body gone from the tomb (?); and Mon. shopping at the sales.
In England, Monday is known as a Bank Holiday, from the days when holidays revolved around the banks.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 22.04.2011, 12:27
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,232
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,934 Times in 4,178 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working on Good Friday

Tell them you were schooled by Benedictines, who believe in good honest labour to glorify the Lord. That'll confuse them enough to buy you some time to make your escape to the border...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Carlos R for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 22.04.2011, 12:37
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,244
Groaned at 2,467 Times in 1,784 Posts
Thanked 39,338 Times in 18,541 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working on Good Friday

Quote:
View Post
Not wishing to disagree with you, Tom, but how can Monday be officially related to any of the religious Easter happenings from the Bible? I'm not religious, but did go to Sunday school as a child and can still recall some of what I learnt:- Fri. crucifixion; Sun. the body gone from the tomb (?); and Mon. shopping at the sales.
In England, Monday is known as a Bank Holiday, from the days when holidays revolved around the banks.
Who knows?

But then, why isn't today a holiday here (or in Italy)?

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 22.04.2011, 12:46
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,295
Groaned at 237 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 12,188 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working on Good Friday

Quote:
View Post
Who knows?

But then, why isn't today a holiday here (or in Italy)?

Tom
Without wanting to divert this thread into a religious one, maybe the Italian peoples (I assume Church of Rome), don't wish to celebrate the negative aspect of the crucifixion, but only the positive aspect of the resurrection. After all, the hammering of nails into wood, would have created some noise.

My question to you, though, is: will (can) you be mowing your lawns on Monday? - a true test of a Swiss religious holiday.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 22.04.2011, 12:57
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,244
Groaned at 2,467 Times in 1,784 Posts
Thanked 39,338 Times in 18,541 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working on Good Friday

Quote:
View Post
My question to you, though, is: will (can) you be mowing your lawns on Monday? - a true test of a Swiss religious holiday.
Monday, no. Today and tomorrow, yes.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 22.04.2011, 13:50
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: na
Posts: 11,248
Groaned at 37 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 26,732 Times in 8,253 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working on Good Friday

Just in from putting up the tomato Hüsli...

Quote:
View Post
Not intending to nit pic, but for "any holiday", I read any religious holiday. This coming Monday isn't a religious festival - just a free day (equivalent to a Saturday imo) - so as far as I am concerned, if I need to work around the house and garden and make noise, then I will do so (as I have in previous years when required).
Capatrix said it best - it depends on your neighbors. If your neighbors are out and about working or otherwise making noise, feel free to do likewise. But if the neighborhood seems unusally quiet, follow their lead.

Here in the Congo, any official public holiday - religious or otherwise - is a quiet day, strictly enforced by the curtain-twitching brigade. No noise, especially power tools. This restriction includes even 1 August; one may not disturb the peace by mowing one's lawn... but setting off ear-splitting fireworks is perfectly acceptable.

Quote:
View Post
I agree, but breaking till 3:00 is a bit long - I would have thought 1:30 - 2:00 max., is OK if not making noise.
12:00 - 15:00 is the time from Jesus' crucifixion to death, according to several religious traditions - and for many of practicing Christians, this is a time for quiet reflection. Refraining from excessive noise during those three hours on Good Friday is simply a sign of respect for religious sensibilies.

If you don't think your neighbors are religious or would otherwise be bothered, go about your day as you normally would.


ETA: Normal lunchtime quiet is 12:00-13:30 or 14:00, depending on the neighborhood.


Quote:
View Post
After all it suits the farmers when they have to drive their tractors in the field at the bottom of my garden; or later in the year, with the noisy combine harvester, when the crop is ready for taking on a Sunday and it's raining on Monday - a necessity I know, but no-one bats an eyelid to this, so a bit of quite work around the house and garden, shouldn't be frowned upon, either.
Farmers get a pass on all noise restrictions. Even the efficient Swiss have not found a way to completely bend Mother Nature to their will.

Happy Easter, one and all.


Last edited by meloncollie; 22.04.2011 at 14:04.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 22.04.2011, 14:48
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,244
Groaned at 2,467 Times in 1,784 Posts
Thanked 39,338 Times in 18,541 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working on Good Friday

Quote:
View Post
Without wanting to divert this thread into a religious one, maybe the Italian peoples (I assume Church of Rome),
Bad assumption.

Here, and in northern Italy, there are (at least, that I know of) two rites, Roman (i.e. standard) and Ambrosian (Milano). I live in an Ambrosian rite town, which is why Carnevale ends (and Lent starts) at sunrise on Sunday here rather than on the previous Wednesday (for example, and there is no Ash Wednesday here).

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
good FRIDAY SKIING Doctor Social events 0 01.04.2010 23:08
Good Friday: Is it a public holiday in France or not? Treverus Daily life 16 30.03.2010 13:14
Good Friday in Lausanne Dunroaming Daily life 1 28.03.2010 12:22
Have a really Good Friday on April 2nd Captain Pugwash Social events 0 27.03.2010 02:46
Good Friday - Shops open or not telandy Daily life 13 21.03.2008 12:51


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0