Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 10.06.2011, 13:20
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: attacked by a small elderly woman

Quote:
View Post
I was NOT "defensive about Switzerland" but found a statement saying that nothing thelike happens on the London tube either an extremely strange piece of humour, or a piece of delusion
Yeah, but things have moved on in London since you were there.

They've restored the monarchy, for one thing, and hardly anyone wears a wig.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #62  
Old 10.06.2011, 13:22
summerrain's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,350
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 985 Times in 325 Posts
summerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond repute
Re: attacked by a small elderly woman

Quote:
View Post
I was NOT "defensive about Switzerland" but found a statement saying that nothing thelike happens on the London tube either an extremely strange piece of humour, or a piece of delusion
I suggest that either you should make a trip there soon or pass over some of what you're smoking.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 10.06.2011, 13:43
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy Wellies
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 8,728
Groaned at 53 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 9,937 Times in 3,652 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: attacked by a small elderly woman

Quote:
More weirdness at the same station this morning: as I was walking down the ramp, some "gangster" (you know the type - wouldn't last five minutes down the Pear Tree) took a long, hard look at me. A minute later he met his chum, nudged him and whispered something, and the friend turned round and looked at me. I walked on, and that was the end of it, but it was a bit odd.
Freind 1: 'Ere that's that Dougal's Breakfast bloke off the internet.
Friend 2: [Looks round] He's shorter than I imagined.
Friend 1: [Nods contemplatively]
Reply With Quote
The following 13 users would like to thank mirfield for this useful post:
  #64  
Old 10.06.2011, 14:15
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,191
Groaned at 11 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,781 Times in 704 Posts
ceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond repute
Re: attacked by a small elderly woman

Quote:
View Post
I suggest that either you should make a trip there soon or pass over some of what you're smoking.
Too true!
I'm in London now.
The tube's hell, it's raining cats and dogs, and I have to face the Piccadilly Line in 5 minutes.
I'm 'a small elderly woman' so watch out London!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank ceppych for this useful post:
  #65  
Old 10.06.2011, 14:18
panda's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 168
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 90 Times in 57 Posts
panda is considered knowledgeablepanda is considered knowledgeablepanda is considered knowledgeable
Re: attacked by a small elderly woman

Quote:
View Post
3 years in Basel made me believe it was normal to be bump into on a daily basis....
I find this in Zurich too, where a simple excuse me would suffice I am all but rugby tackled by people that want to pass me, I don't see who gains
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 10.06.2011, 14:20
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: attacked by a small elderly woman

Quote:
Yeah, but things have moved on in London since you were there.

They've restored the monarchy, for one thing, and hardly anyone wears a wig.
This sounds as if having restored the monarchy was a good thing

************************************************** ************************

Quote:
View Post
I suggest that either you should make a trip there soon or pass over some of what you're smoking.
And this sounds as if London had made tremendous steps forward in the past few years ?! and had become an exceedingly better place
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 10.06.2011, 14:27
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: attacked by a small elderly woman

Quote:
View Post
I find this in Zurich too, where a simple excuse me would suffice I am all but rugby tackled by people that want to pass me, I don't see who gains

You basically have the choice. Either
A) try to evade "bumps" by doing a kind of slalom, and move ahead swiftly
or else
B) decide to confront such "straight-walkers" and bump into them
or
C) simply stand still at your position and look those "straight-walkers" straight into the eyes

variant B) is particularily enjoyable if you are travelling and have a heavy metallic suitcase with you, which you carry with the top towards the middle. You then target the knees of your adversaries, and listen to the "noises" of them

in case you speak any kind of German, simply behave as if you could not understand mutterings like "blööde Tschingg" or "Schiess-Türk" and ignore their opinions entirely
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 10.06.2011, 15:57
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,428 Times in 10,577 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: attacked by a small elderly woman

Quote:
View Post
You basically have the choice. Either
A) try to evade "bumps" by doing a kind of slalom, and move ahead swiftly
or else
B) decide to confront such "straight-walkers" and bump into them
or
C) simply stand still at your position and look those "straight-walkers" straight into the eyes

variant B) is particularily enjoyable if you are travelling and have a heavy metallic suitcase with you, which you carry with the top towards the middle. You then target the knees of your adversaries, and listen to the "noises" of them

in case you speak any kind of German, simply behave as if you could not understand mutterings like "blööde Tschingg" or "Schiess-Türk" and ignore their opinions entirely
I know it must feel weird having a bunch of old and newcoming settlers here nagging all the time about the same stuff Wolli. I don't think we need a recipe on how to deal with these nasty passive aggressive, or flat out aggressive knock outs, but I do have to say, even packed NYC or Washington DC, Prague, London, Berlin, even Paris, to lesser extent, were pretty much bump free. And if people rarely did run into me, they usually apologized, together with me apologizing, since that's kind of the norm I am used to when bodies collide on the street.
__________________
"L'homme ne peut pas remplacer son coeur avec sa tete, ni sa tete avec ses mains." J.H. Pestalozzi

“The only difference between a rut and a grave is a matter of depth.” S.P. Cadman

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." A. Einstein
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #69  
Old 10.06.2011, 16:09
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: basel
Posts: 95
Groaned at 16 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 59 Times in 26 Posts
selimhan is considered knowledgeableselimhan is considered knowledgeableselimhan is considered knowledgeable
Re: attacked by a small elderly woman

Quote:
View Post
You basically have the choice. Either
A) try to evade "bumps" by doing a kind of slalom, and move ahead swiftly
or else
B) decide to confront such "straight-walkers" and bump into them
or
C) simply stand still at your position and look those "straight-walkers" straight into the eyes

variant B) is particularily enjoyable if you are travelling and have a heavy metallic suitcase with you, which you carry with the top towards the middle. You then target the knees of your adversaries, and listen to the "noises" of them

in case you speak any kind of German, simply behave as if you could not understand mutterings like "blööde Tschingg" or "Schiess-Türk" and ignore their opinions entirely
i do C) and it works all the time. what does "Schiess-Türk" mean by the way? because, if its something bad i dont want to miss it
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 10.06.2011, 17:16
panda's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 168
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 90 Times in 57 Posts
panda is considered knowledgeablepanda is considered knowledgeablepanda is considered knowledgeable
Re: attacked by a small elderly woman

Quote:
View Post
You basically have the choice. Either
A) try to evade "bumps" by doing a kind of slalom, and move ahead swiftly
or else
B) decide to confront such "straight-walkers" and bump into them
or
C) simply stand still at your position and look those "straight-walkers" straight into the eyes

variant B) is particularily enjoyable if you are travelling and have a heavy metallic suitcase with you, which you carry with the top towards the middle. You then target the knees of your adversaries, and listen to the "noises" of them

in case you speak any kind of German, simply behave as if you could not understand mutterings like "blööde Tschingg" or "Schiess-Türk" and ignore their opinions entirely
Quote:
View Post
I know it must feel weird having a bunch of old and newcoming settlers here nagging all the time about the same stuff Wolli. I don't think we need a recipe on how to deal with these nasty passive aggressive, or flat out aggressive knock outs, but I do have to say, even packed NYC or Washington DC, Prague, London, Berlin, even Paris, to lesser extent, were pretty much bump free. And if people rarely did run into me, they usually apologized, together with me apologizing, since that's kind of the norm I am used to when bodies collide on the street.
been here 7 years and not seeking advice on it
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 10.06.2011, 22:02
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: attacked by a small elderly woman

Quote:
View Post
I know it must feel weird having a bunch of old and newcoming settlers here nagging all the time about the same stuff Wolli. I don't think we need a recipe on how to deal with these nasty passive aggressive, or flat out aggressive knock outs, but I do have to say, even packed NYC or Washington DC, Prague, London, Berlin, even Paris, to lesser extent, were pretty much bump free. And if people rarely did run into me, they usually apologized, together with me apologizing, since that's kind of the norm I am used to when bodies collide on the street.
Prague (a point to you !), and Washington/DC and New York can be described as "bump-free" but Paris is rather "bump capital of the world" , London and New York share the title to have the most tolerant but swift car-drivers in the world. Paris car drivers just are tolerant because they share your DISlike for laws and regulations, but deep in their hearts are devoted anarchists . Outside New York and Miami, US car-drivers are generally a bit sleepy.

And what is wrong with car-driving in Zürich and Geneva ? In Zürich people drive as if car-driving would become prohibited in 90 minutes, in Geneva people drive as if car-driving would have become prohibited 90 minutes ago
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 13.06.2011, 11:33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: St Elsewhere
Posts: 332
Groaned at 15 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 320 Times in 151 Posts
Brass427 has earned the respect of manyBrass427 has earned the respect of manyBrass427 has earned the respect of many
Re: attacked by a small elderly woman

When I read the first subject line, I thought "Hell's Grannies in 3...2...1..

Great routine.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Brass427 for this useful post:
  #73  
Old 13.06.2011, 16:40
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: attacked by a small elderly woman

Quote:
View Post
i do C) and it works all the time. what does "Schiess-Türk" mean by the way? because, if its something bad i dont want to miss it
"Schiess-Türk" means "lousy dirty uncivilzed undesirable Türk" and "blööde Tschingg" is a similar compliment for Italians
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 13.06.2011, 19:19
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 219
Groaned at 29 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 90 Times in 56 Posts
pasty is considered a nuisancepasty is considered a nuisancepasty is considered a nuisance
Re: attacked by a small elderly woman

Quote:
View Post
The other day I was walking to work and a small elderly woman smacked me right in the ribs with her handbag! She didn't say a word to me and just walked on ! It was quite amusing and thought it was just a one off... later that week a man came up to me and said that he hated my face and wanted to punch it about 10 times... i was just trying to eat my kebab !

lovely place zurich...
Perhaps you misunderstood her dialect? A friend of mine was walking along as a boy, when an old lady came out and clipped him round the ear.
He said "What's that for? I haven't done anything", and she said "No, but you're going to"!
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 13.06.2011, 23:26
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: attacked by a small elderly woman

Quote:
View Post
Perhaps you misunderstood her dialect? A friend of mine was walking along as a boy, when an old lady came out and clipped him round the ear.
He said "What's that for? I haven't done anything", and she said "No, but you're going to"!
I would not call such a person a "lady" but rather an "old beast"
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 14.06.2011, 00:12
poptart's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,785
Groaned at 33 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 3,013 Times in 1,242 Posts
poptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond repute
Re: attacked by a small elderly woman

Quote:
View Post
I would not call such a person a "lady" but rather an "old beast"
Meh, I spent an entire weekend in the country up north and had none of the usual annoyances like ill-behaved grannies or folks lighting up the second the doors on the train open. In defense of some of those who have had bad experiences with folks in .ch ... I have to say, I've lived in more than a few countries and rarely experienced the issues with rudeness and smokers as in Switzerland.

In Germany, folks were polite, smokers smoked in smokers areas and, well, it seemed more civilised if less clean (which, by my German mother's estimation was filthy but I'll allow for economic contstraints)....The Swiss do seem to have less of a clue about letting folks out of a train before crowding the exit and, overall, personal space in general.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 14.06.2011, 10:10
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy Wellies
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 8,728
Groaned at 53 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 9,937 Times in 3,652 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: attacked by a small elderly woman

Quote:
View Post
A friend of mine was walking along as a boy, when an old lady came out and clipped him round the ear.
He said "What's that for? I haven't done anything", and she said "No, but you're going to"!
I wondered where my mother had got to since I disowned her.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 14.06.2011, 19:33
Jordan Baker's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Oxford, UK
Posts: 138
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 136 Times in 63 Posts
Jordan Baker has a reputation beyond reputeJordan Baker has a reputation beyond reputeJordan Baker has a reputation beyond reputeJordan Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Re: attacked by a small elderly woman

Quote:
View Post
"Schiess-Türk" means "lousy dirty uncivilzed undesirable Türk" and "blööde Tschingg" is a similar compliment for Italians
find that quite racist...
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 14.06.2011, 20:43
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: zh
Posts: 251
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 304 Times in 122 Posts
TheCatintheHat has an excellent reputationTheCatintheHat has an excellent reputationTheCatintheHat has an excellent reputationTheCatintheHat has an excellent reputation
Re: attacked by a small elderly woman

If I get bumped into in other countries, I immediately check my purse to make sure it's closed, wallet still there, etc. When I get bumped into here, I just feel exasperated.
For me, that sort of defines my remembrance that is is surely not normal to be bumped into. That being said, I am pregnant, and have noticed a huge difference in the amount of bumps I receive. People actually let me sit down, get off the train, get on the train, etc without the usual "If I pretend not to see you, I can be first" approach.
Not to sound like a sap, but it does warm my heart a bit when I walk toward a bench and people squeeze themselves over so I can sit down. I know this will all change later, but I do appreciate it.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 14.06.2011, 21:37
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: attacked by a small elderly woman

I have to agree fully with Grumpygit ...... get in there first, don't wait to be hit regardless of their age or gender if they look like they're going to hitor be abusive - GIVE IT 'EM ...... BIG TIME
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dog attacked by Swan / what to do? delfinita Pet corner 72 08.06.2010 11:25
Help for elderly people/Domestic help available Rahul Employment 0 03.09.2007 12:39


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0