Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 29.06.2011, 09:29
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
YammyBB has no particular reputation at present
Re: Only in Switzerland... (anecdotes)

After coming back from a trip in London, I realised i forgot the key to my flat. Thankfully my rental agency had a spare. I presented myself at the office, but at arount 12.30pm. Knowing that it would literally take two minutes to get the key off them, I asked if I could come up and get it. I was repeatedly told that it was "lunchtime", and that I should come back at 1pm. The countless "please ma'am" did not get me anywhere. I therefore drown my sorrows in a nearby bar !!!
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 29.06.2011, 10:03
Swissmountainair's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: A moving target...
Posts: 878
Groaned at 18 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 950 Times in 448 Posts
Swissmountainair has a reputation beyond reputeSwissmountainair has a reputation beyond reputeSwissmountainair has a reputation beyond reputeSwissmountainair has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Only in Switzerland... (anecdotes)

Quote:
View Post


Im pretty sure this is a universal phenonemon but it seems pretty acute here.
damn I wish I could get me one of those jobs.
Looking at the average age of those guys it looks like the waiting list for such a job must be verrrrry long.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Swissmountainair for this useful post:
  #83  
Old 29.06.2011, 16:35
hanaliz86's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Zürich
Posts: 29
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
hanaliz86 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Only in Switzerland... (anecdotes)

There was a "Maturastreich" at the school I work in today as the students all got their results last night. On arrival at 7:30am I was met with buckets of water, smoke, confetti, toilet roll, couldn't get into the building because of a mountain of chairs at every entrance, etc.

An hour later and they are all there cleaning up the mess they made. Even wiping the windows down!
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 29.06.2011, 18:09
yogidonna's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 26
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 1 Post
yogidonna has no particular reputation at present
Re: Only in Switzerland... (anecdotes)

My husband was woken from a deep sleep last week after midnight by a telephone call. The caller asked if he lived at our address (a building with several flats) and informed him that the barking of a dog in our building was keeping him awake. He asked my husband if he could go find the barking dog and make it stop. My husband asked how he got the number, he said he could find one number at our address and called it. My husband got up, went into the hall, and only then heard the dog barking. He told the caller that it was not his dog, not his problem and the caller asked "what should I do". He said "get earplugs" and hung up. Only in Switzerland...
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank yogidonna for this useful post:
  #85  
Old 30.06.2011, 11:08
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 24
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
lbp_ch has no particular reputation at present
Re: Only in Switzerland... (anecdotes)

Well, that story is really amazing and made me laugh! And it's true...this only happens in Switzerland! However, there' also "positive" things which only happen in Switzerland, e.g.

- You accidentally loose 50 CHF while taking something out of your wallet. You don't notice it and walk away. A few seconds later, already a few meters away from where it happened, someone comes running behind you and gives you the money. This only happens in Switzerland!

- If you have a problem at home, say with the toilet, electricity, etc. Next day at 7am, you have a handyman ringing at your doorbell...this only happens in Switzerland!

Have some more examples?


Quote:
View Post
My husband was woken from a deep sleep last week after midnight by a telephone call. The caller asked if he lived at our address (a building with several flats) and informed him that the barking of a dog in our building was keeping him awake. He asked my husband if he could go find the barking dog and make it stop. My husband asked how he got the number, he said he could find one number at our address and called it. My husband got up, went into the hall, and only then heard the dog barking. He told the caller that it was not his dog, not his problem and the caller asked "what should I do". He said "get earplugs" and hung up. Only in Switzerland...
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 30.06.2011, 11:30
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canton Solothurn
Posts: 38
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 47 Times in 15 Posts
silkweaver is considered knowledgeablesilkweaver is considered knowledgeablesilkweaver is considered knowledgeable
Re: Only in Switzerland... (anecdotes)

Quote:
View Post
People in the offices of "Die Post" tend to be more Swiss than Swiss, and are always right. How dare you to doubt their unlimited wisdom

And again, had he used a "public bin" 100 meters down the road or at the rail-station, nothing would have happened
Or just removed the address label ;-)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank silkweaver for this useful post:
  #87  
Old 30.06.2011, 11:48
Helm's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zürich<->St.Gallen
Posts: 2,209
Groaned at 13 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 4,136 Times in 1,371 Posts
Helm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Only in Switzerland... (anecdotes)

Quote:
View Post
- If you have a problem at home, say with the toilet, electricity, etc. Next day at 7am, you have a handyman ringing at your doorbell...this only happens in Switzerland!
When I was living in Germany, the cold water pipe exploded around 00:00. We had a guy fixing it at 01:00.

When we had a water problem here on a thursday evening, we called the plumber "emergency" number on our documents from the vermiter, only to hear on the other side of the line "GRÜÜÜÜÜÜEZI. We are closed after 17h30." The next day was a holiday. We had to live with father in law during that gorgeous long weekend...

Emergency numbers like that, only in Switzerland...
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Helm for this useful post:
  #88  
Old 30.06.2011, 22:49
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 694
Groaned at 14 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 542 Times in 283 Posts
tooki has an excellent reputationtooki has an excellent reputationtooki has an excellent reputationtooki has an excellent reputation
Re: Only in Switzerland... (anecdotes)

Quote:
View Post
- If you have a problem at home, say with the toilet, electricity, etc. Next day at 7am, you have a handyman ringing at your doorbell...this only happens in Switzerland!
Where are you from where that's not normal?!? Every apartment I ever rented in USA got emergency repairs done ASAP, and non-emergency ones by reasonable appointment. I never rented from a slumlord, but I never rented a luxury apartment, either.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 01.07.2011, 11:01
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: zh
Posts: 251
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 304 Times in 122 Posts
TheCatintheHat has an excellent reputationTheCatintheHat has an excellent reputationTheCatintheHat has an excellent reputationTheCatintheHat has an excellent reputation
Re: Only in Switzerland... (anecdotes)

I've just had one of thise frustrating special CH mornings. Dropped off son at sitters, no problems there. Went to store, it took 40 min to buy 30sfr worth of groceries. Passed on the strawberries because couldn't find any containers without fuzz. Rasberries and blueberries so expensive, I just couldn't buy them. Went for nectarines. First one I grabbed was rotted out on the other side.
Went to check out, there was empty space, put divider down, proceeded to put groceries on. Woman in front of me promptly came and told me she wasn't finished and wanted to spread her groceries out more. I moved divider back about 6 inches, gave her the look from hell and told her to please proceed. She continued to pack her groceries so slowly and perfectly that the cashier had to stop working completely and just folded his hands and waited for her.
Went to PF for cash. Suddenly can only take 100 sfr out. Now I can't pay the sitter unless she has change.
Went to fill the tank. There are four spots, one is open. Nobody can get to it, because an old woman driving a massive jeep has decided that she only wants the first spot, and the parking lot is so small nobody can turn around to get things moving. I beep at her, she tells the man putting air in his tires that he should move so she can wait there.
Drive home, about 8 kilometeres away. stop twice and take one detour for construction.
Get home, my road is blocked in every direction by construction and I can't drive to my house.
Yes, I know it could all happen anywhere and has, but aaargh!
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank TheCatintheHat for this useful post:
  #90  
Old 01.07.2011, 11:04
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Only in Switzerland... (anecdotes)

Quote:
View Post
When I was living in Germany, the cold water pipe exploded around 00:00. We had a guy fixing it at 01:00.

When we had a water problem here on a thursday evening, we called the plumber "emergency" number on our documents from the vermiter, only to hear on the other side of the line "GRÜÜÜÜÜÜEZI. We are closed after 17h30." The next day was a holiday. We had to live with father in law during that gorgeous long weekend...

Emergency numbers like that, only in Switzerland...
Quote:
View Post
I've just had one of thise frustrating special CH mornings. Dropped off son at sitters, no problems there. Went to store, it took 40 min to buy 30sfr worth of groceries. Passed on the strawberries because couldn't find any containers without fuzz. Rasberries and blueberries so expensive, I just couldn't buy them. Went for nectarines. First one I grabbed was rotted out on the other side.
Went to check out, there was empty space, put divider down, proceeded to put groceries on. Woman in front of me promptly came and told me she wasn't finished and wanted to spread her groceries out more. I moved divider back about 6 inches, gave her the look from hell and told her to please proceed. She continued to pack her groceries so slowly and perfectly that the cashier had to stop working completely and just folded his hands and waited for her.
Went to PF for cash. Suddenly can only take 100 sfr out. Now I can't pay the sitter unless she has change.
Went to fill the tank. There are four spots, one is open. Nobody can get to it, because an old woman driving a massive jeep has decided that she only wants the first spot, and the parking lot is so small nobody can turn around to get things moving. I beep at her, she tells the man putting air in his tires that he should move so she can wait there.
Drive home, about 8 kilometeres away. stop twice and take one detour for construction.
Get home, my road is blocked in every direction by construction and I can't drive to my house.
Yes, I know it could all happen anywhere and has, but aaargh!
This is exactly why I can't stand this country...nothing seems to work properly and everything has to be so difficult!!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank lost_inbroad for this useful post:
  #91  
Old 01.07.2011, 11:29
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 24
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
lbp_ch has no particular reputation at present
Re: Only in Switzerland... (anecdotes)

Well, go to Spain, Italy, Portugal...there, you can easily wait for one month to get it fixed.

Quote:
View Post
Where are you from where that's not normal?!? Every apartment I ever rented in USA got emergency repairs done ASAP, and non-emergency ones by reasonable appointment. I never rented from a slumlord, but I never rented a luxury apartment, either.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 01.07.2011, 11:51
Klostersgirl's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ZH
Posts: 725
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 1,384 Times in 434 Posts
Klostersgirl has a reputation beyond reputeKlostersgirl has a reputation beyond reputeKlostersgirl has a reputation beyond reputeKlostersgirl has a reputation beyond reputeKlostersgirl has a reputation beyond reputeKlostersgirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Only in Switzerland... (anecdotes)

Quote:
View Post
- If you have a problem at home, say with the toilet, electricity, etc. Next day at 7am, you have a handyman ringing at your doorbell...this only happens in Switzerland!

Have some more examples?
When we first moved here we rented a new and super-expensive apartment. Our neighbours above were a British family with 2 boys. One Sunday they experienced a very serious problem with their electrics (which had been incorrectly wired), all the electrical equipment in their flat was blown out and their TV actually caught fire. The Agent who had rented the apartments lived in the same village and they rang him in a bit of a panic asking what they should do. His response was to complain that they had rung him on a Sunday and wait until his office opened on Monday morning!
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 01.07.2011, 12:01
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: zh
Posts: 251
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 304 Times in 122 Posts
TheCatintheHat has an excellent reputationTheCatintheHat has an excellent reputationTheCatintheHat has an excellent reputationTheCatintheHat has an excellent reputation
Re: Only in Switzerland... (anecdotes)

Quote:
View Post
This is exactly why I can't stand this country...nothing seems to work properly and everything has to be so difficult!!
Now that I am expecting my second child, I have to agree about the difficult bit. Between the cost of living and the complications of living, it has become hardly worth it. I enjoy living here, and we've built up a nice life with great friends and neighbours, jobs that support us, etc, but I don't feel like my life quality is very high when I have to drive to Germany to afford a haircut. With a family, things that were a bit of a pain before have become the things that rule my life. I guess it is my version of the golden cage syndrome.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TheCatintheHat for this useful post:
  #94  
Old 01.07.2011, 12:47
Captain Greybeard's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sarganserland / NW Lower Penin
Posts: 3,516
Groaned at 43 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 7,410 Times in 2,314 Posts
Captain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Only in Switzerland... (anecdotes)

Quote:
View Post
I've just had one of thise frustrating special CH mornings. Dropped off son at sitters, no problems there. Went to store, it took 40 min to buy 30sfr worth of groceries. Passed on the strawberries because couldn't find any containers without fuzz. Rasberries and blueberries so expensive, I just couldn't buy them. Went for nectarines. First one I grabbed was rotted out on the other side.
Went to check out, there was empty space, put divider down, proceeded to put groceries on. Woman in front of me promptly came and told me she wasn't finished and wanted to spread her groceries out more. I moved divider back about 6 inches, gave her the look from hell and told her to please proceed. She continued to pack her groceries so slowly and perfectly that the cashier had to stop working completely and just folded his hands and waited for her.
Went to PF for cash. Suddenly can only take 100 sfr out. Now I can't pay the sitter unless she has change.
Went to fill the tank. There are four spots, one is open. Nobody can get to it, because an old woman driving a massive jeep has decided that she only wants the first spot, and the parking lot is so small nobody can turn around to get things moving. I beep at her, she tells the man putting air in his tires that he should move so she can wait there.
Drive home, about 8 kilometeres away. stop twice and take one detour for construction.
Get home, my road is blocked in every direction by construction and I can't drive to my house.
Yes, I know it could all happen anywhere and has, but aaargh!
Now what exactly is the CH part of this, apart from the fact that you paid your groceries with sfr and could only get 100 sfr at the ATM??
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 01.07.2011, 12:53
simonminissale's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ammerswill
Posts: 883
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 913 Times in 389 Posts
simonminissale has a reputation beyond reputesimonminissale has a reputation beyond reputesimonminissale has a reputation beyond reputesimonminissale has a reputation beyond reputesimonminissale has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Only in Switzerland... (anecdotes)

Quote:
View Post
I've just had one of thise frustrating special CH mornings. Dropped off son at sitters, no problems there. Went to store, it took 40 min to buy 30sfr worth of groceries. Passed on the strawberries because couldn't find any containers without fuzz. Rasberries and blueberries so expensive, I just couldn't buy them. Went for nectarines. First one I grabbed was rotted out on the other side.
Went to check out, there was empty space, put divider down, proceeded to put groceries on. Woman in front of me promptly came and told me she wasn't finished and wanted to spread her groceries out more. I moved divider back about 6 inches, gave her the look from hell and told her to please proceed. She continued to pack her groceries so slowly and perfectly that the cashier had to stop working completely and just folded his hands and waited for her.
Went to PF for cash. Suddenly can only take 100 sfr out. Now I can't pay the sitter unless she has change.

Went to fill the tank. There are four spots, one is open. Nobody can get to it, because an old woman driving a massive jeep has decided that she only wants the first spot, and the parking lot is so small nobody can turn around to get things moving. I beep at her, she tells the man putting air in his tires that he should move so she can wait there.
Drive home, about 8 kilometeres away. stop twice and take one detour for construction.
Get home, my road is blocked in every direction by construction and I can't drive to my house.
Yes, I know it could all happen anywhere and has, but aaargh!
I can definetly relate to those ones being a swiss thing, the rotten fruit for sale in the shops (all are guilty) drives me crazy.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank simonminissale for this useful post:
  #96  
Old 01.07.2011, 13:00
foliorose's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Zürich Seefeld
Posts: 379
Groaned at 10 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 306 Times in 146 Posts
foliorose has earned some respectfoliorose has earned some respect
Re: Only in Switzerland... (anecdotes)

Quote:
View Post
Now what exactly is the CH part of this, apart from the fact that you paid your groceries with sfr and could only get 100 sfr at the ATM??
Maybe the overpriced rotting fruit? I certainly have never experienced THAT anywhere else. It's especially upsetting when you touch a container to examine its contents and a flurry of fruit flies appears. EEEEW! 5.95 CHF for 250 grams of rotting, fruit-fly-infested raspberries? Nope!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank foliorose for this useful post:
  #97  
Old 01.07.2011, 13:19
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zurich Oberland
Posts: 523
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 470 Times in 239 Posts
woolly has an excellent reputationwoolly has an excellent reputationwoolly has an excellent reputationwoolly has an excellent reputation
Re: Only in Switzerland... (anecdotes)

Quote:
View Post
Between the cost of living and the complications of living, it has become hardly worth it. I enjoy living here, and we've built up a nice life with great friends and neighbours, jobs that support us, etc, but I don't feel like my life quality is very high when I have to drive to Germany to afford a haircut.
The thing is, it's not the absolute cost of living nor the system here that is the problem, it's the fact that you are used to a different system and to different prices. If you had grown up here then moving to another country would probably be just as frustrating.

The haircut for example, just the fact that you can afford a car suggests you probably can afford a haircut without driving to Germany. I find the price of hair salons here only slightly more expensive than London. Since i like to have my hair coloured I have only ever been to the hairdresser 2-3x per year, while my husband goes probably once a month for a basic trim and we probably end up spending similar amounts each overall. It just comes down to what you want to spend your disposable income on.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank woolly for this useful post:
  #98  
Old 01.07.2011, 13:27
Mowvich's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Genève
Posts: 1,422
Groaned at 28 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 1,308 Times in 607 Posts
Mowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Only in Switzerland... (anecdotes)

A simple fact about Switzerland and Swiss people can explain all what is on this thread, They are never wrong and They never do mistakes.....take it this way and live with it, nothing much can be done about it, if you try to complain, they're so happy to terminate any contracts and charge you the remaining amounts or you goto Porsuite
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 01.07.2011, 13:28
foliorose's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Zürich Seefeld
Posts: 379
Groaned at 10 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 306 Times in 146 Posts
foliorose has earned some respectfoliorose has earned some respect
Re: Only in Switzerland... (anecdotes)

So true, RachelW. As a former apartment building manager, this experience I had just today really kills me:
My husband and I are moving and our new contract begins August 1st. We found a new tenant for our current apartment and their contract also begins August 1st. Normal enough. We called the Verwaltung to schedule a handover for the 29th of July. They informed us they'd be CLOSED the last week in July AND the first week in August!!! How can they start charging the new tenant rent and not give them the flat until a whole week later? That is insane! Now I have no idea how we're going to organize the transition. It's very frustrating!!! Anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 01.07.2011, 13:31
Mowvich's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Genève
Posts: 1,422
Groaned at 28 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 1,308 Times in 607 Posts
Mowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Only in Switzerland... (anecdotes)

Quote:
View Post
So true, RachelW. As a former apartment building manager, this experience I had just today really kills me:
My husband and I are moving and our new contract begins August 1st. We found a new tenant for our current apartment and their contract also begins August 1st. Normal enough. We called the Verwaltung to schedule a handover for the 29th of July. They informed us they'd be CLOSED the last week in July AND the first week in August!!! How can they start charging the new tenant rent and not give them the flat until a whole week later? That is insane! Now I have no idea how we're going to organize the transition. It's very frustrating!!! Anyone have any ideas?
Inform them by registered mail that you will be staying in a hotel and will deduct the amount from the rent if you don't get your apartment on 1 August, they will definitely find a solution or you will get a nice vacation in a hotel
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mowvich for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trading US Stocks while in Switzerland ==> Owe Switzerland Taxes? Shlarin Finance/banking/taxation 30 04.03.2020 08:01
Kid's anecdotes; the good and the bad Nil Family matters/health 3 26.09.2009 14:34


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0