Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 06.07.2011, 16:48
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 694
Groaned at 14 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 542 Times in 283 Posts
tooki has an excellent reputationtooki has an excellent reputationtooki has an excellent reputationtooki has an excellent reputation
Re: Angry Swiss dude

Quote:
View Post
I have no doubt, none at all, that this is a notion fairly widespread in Switzerland. I am just astonished to hear it from a US-American, a country where the same notion is as widespread as it is in Switzerland. When seeing such things in the USA I always thought "well here you get it, still "the sister republics"
I disagree.

As an American*, I am very surprised. That's definitely not how it's done in the South (for all intents and purposes, I've only lived in Southern states, though Maryland is admittedly a "brackish water" area, culturally). Maybe Yankees are ruder (I wouldn't really know), but honestly, I feel that people here resort to ad hominem attacks with far less hesitation.


*As someone born in Guatemala but grew up in USA and has both citizenships due to having one parent from each country, "American" is definitely the correct term for me!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank tooki for this useful post:
  #122  
Old 06.07.2011, 20:02
poptart's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,785
Groaned at 33 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 3,013 Times in 1,242 Posts
poptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Angry Swiss dude

Quote:
View Post
I disagree.

As an American*, I am very surprised. That's definitely not how it's done in the South (for all intents and purposes, I've only lived in Southern states, though Maryland is admittedly a "brackish water" area, culturally). Maybe Yankees are ruder (I wouldn't really know), but honestly, I feel that people here resort to ad hominem attacks with far less hesitation.
Oh, yeah, I think I can vouch for the idea that Yankees ARE ruder in the sense that they're different and less friendly than those west of the Smokies and North of the Mason-Dixon. But, the internet is mostly to blame for bad behaviour, really, not actual physical geography. On the internet, noone knows you're a dog....

Quod erat demonstrandum - bad joke about shooting dogs goes horribly awry and isn't derailed by cheeky Yankee making a sly joke about shooting Jack Russells for the sake of the planet. I blame the Internet. (and Jack Russell luvrs)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank poptart for this useful post:
  #123  
Old 06.07.2011, 21:24
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Angry Swiss dude

Quote:
View Post
I disagree.

As an American*, I am very surprised. That's definitely not how it's done in the South (for all intents and purposes, I've only lived in Southern states, though Maryland is admittedly a "brackish water" area, culturally). Maybe Yankees are ruder (I wouldn't really know), but honestly, I feel that people here resort to ad hominem attacks with far less hesitation.


*As someone born in Guatemala but grew up in USA and has both citizenships due to having one parent from each country, "American" is definitely the correct term for me!
In short, I when talking about "Americans" admittedly had TEXANS in my mind
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 06.07.2011, 21:28
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Angry Swiss dude

Quote:
View Post
Oh, yeah, I think I can vouch for the idea that Yankees ARE ruder in the sense that they're different and less friendly than those west of the Smokies and North of the Mason-Dixon. But, the internet is mostly to blame for bad behaviour, really, not actual physical geography. On the internet, noone knows you're a dog....

Quod erat demonstrandum - bad joke about shooting dogs goes horribly awry and isn't derailed by cheeky Yankee making a sly joke about shooting Jack Russells for the sake of the planet. I blame the Internet. (and Jack Russell luvrs)
Yankees ? The cousin in Houston, when asked whether he preferred Yankees or Mexicans said "I prefer the Mexicans, if they MISbehave we can throw them out, the Yankees we canNOT" and the cousin in Shreveport dryly commented "we do not want to have anything to do with those Yankees" and rather showed us the Memorial of the "unknown Confederate fallen soldier"
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #125  
Old 06.07.2011, 21:43
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,511
Groaned at 2,578 Times in 1,840 Posts
Thanked 39,649 Times in 18,688 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Angry Swiss dude

Quote:
View Post
What can I say? I am a hard core Yankee.
Doubtful, all the hard-core Yankees I know have guns. My brother in law has at least four, my nephew a couple, my former house-mate 5 or 6, the list goes on. If I still lived there, I'd have some as well, and in fact my girlfriend and I are thinking of taking up hunting here (and she has had guns here in the past)

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #126  
Old 06.07.2011, 21:47
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,511
Groaned at 2,578 Times in 1,840 Posts
Thanked 39,649 Times in 18,688 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Angry Swiss dude

Quote:
View Post
Yankees ? The cousin in Houston, when asked whether he preferred Yankees or Mexicans said "I prefer the Mexicans, if they MISbehave we can throw them out, the Yankees we canNOT" and the cousin in Shreveport dryly commented "we do not want to have anything to do with those Yankees" and rather showed us the Memorial of the "unknown Confederate fallen soldier"
Kind of the way Ticinese feel about those from "Svizzera Interna"!

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 06.07.2011, 21:49
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,511
Groaned at 2,578 Times in 1,840 Posts
Thanked 39,649 Times in 18,688 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Angry Swiss dude

Being a born and bred New Englander, I find the Swiss refreshingly friendly!

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
This user groans at st2lemans for this post:
  #128  
Old 06.07.2011, 21:53
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,191
Groaned at 11 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,781 Times in 704 Posts
ceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Angry Swiss dude

I'm getting confused......or has the Angry Swiss dude now moved to Texas and is toting a gun with which he shoots Jack Russells?
At least that has to be better than shouting at little children........unless you're a Jack Russell of course
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank ceppych for this useful post:
  #129  
Old 06.07.2011, 22:37
maximum's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Richterswil, ZH
Posts: 184
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 99 Times in 52 Posts
maximum has earned the respect of manymaximum has earned the respect of manymaximum has earned the respect of many
Re: Angry Swiss dude

In Holland we had a similar type of neighbor. Screaming and scaring little kids. Nobody did anything for years. Everybody was scared. Until we moved in. First year we tried the ignoring and staying friendly. Did not work. After another episode, my hubbie once picked him on butt and neck and tossed him back into his front garden, a week later when he started ranting to me, I just stood before him hissing him for every word, and finalizing staying almost nose to nose (luckily I am tall) that he should sod off and never say a word to me or my family again. This walking him all the way back to his front garden.

He never really yelled at kids anymore. Just the sight of us was enough for him to shut up and get inside.

In general these people are mentally not ok. They will bully and be nasty because they scare normal people. As soon as you stand up for yourself and give them a good scare. It's over. Maybe not polite, but for some people you need to be. Just like back in elementary school. Just with the lawyer wife you might want to be careful not to actually touch him.

(and a little stick - toothpick- in the bell will keep it ringing for a long time...)
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank maximum for this useful post:
  #130  
Old 06.07.2011, 22:56
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: zurich
Posts: 31
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 29 Times in 11 Posts
dlavrag has made some interesting contributions
Re: Angry Swiss dude

hey OP, first, how do you know he's swiss? you speak german well enough to decipher the differences between the different german accents?
second, you witness a man acting like this and suggest it may be dependent on his nationality, do you realize how foolish you sound? I'd say your reaction is as ill-founded as his.
think before you post, please.
third, i'll gladly come round to your place, and f'kin CUCKOO your new friend: just give me the address. I hate bullies and they must be punished, severely.
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 07.07.2011, 01:22
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Angry Swiss dude

Quote:
View Post
hey OP, first, how do you know he's swiss? you speak german well enough to decipher the differences between the different german accents?
second, you witness a man acting like this and suggest it may be dependent on his nationality, do you realize how foolish you sound? I'd say your reaction is as ill-founded as his.
think before you post, please.
third, i'll gladly come round to your place, and f'kin CUCKOO your new friend: just give me the address. I hate bullies and they must be punished, severely.
The grumpy man can in fact be of quite many nations. That he speaks some sort of German is no hint. His behaviours however apparently are clearly unacceptable and possibly a real problem

I indeed am wondering about his nationality or if CH about his home Canton, even if this aspect may be of minor relevance
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 07.07.2011, 01:29
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Angry Swiss dude

Quote:
View Post
Kind of the way Ticinese feel about those from "Svizzera Interna"!

Tom
Texas was a fully independent Republic with embassies in London and Paris between 1836 and 1845, and TX + LA were OUTside the USA memberstates of the Confederacy in the early 1860ies, but Ticino never was either a member state of anything or fully independent outside the Swiss Confederacy. In WWII, Mr Mussolini wanted to get the Ticino, but the Germans did not exactly love the idea as he also wanted, besided Savoie and Nizza, the Cantons of Geneva and Vaud. So that things are a bit different
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #133  
Old 08.07.2011, 10:01
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Thawil
Posts: 49
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 41 Times in 18 Posts
ladytag55 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Angry Swiss dude

Quote:
View Post
This is so not true anywhere in the states. I was born and lived in Georgia for decades and never owned a gun nor did my parents nor did most of the people that I knew. This is an ignorant comment, I'm sorry.
That's your experience, and that's great. It is not ignorant to say that something is true in a part of a place. There are parts of Brooklyn that are extremely dangerous. The guns carried, illegally owned. But I never had a bad experience there. Does that mean because I never encountered a gun, they didn't exist?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ladytag55 for this useful post:
  #134  
Old 08.07.2011, 10:12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Thawil
Posts: 49
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 41 Times in 18 Posts
ladytag55 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Angry Swiss dude

Quote:
View Post
Oh, yeah, I think I can vouch for the idea that Yankees ARE ruder in the sense that they're different and less friendly than those west of the Smokies and North of the Mason-Dixon. But, the internet is mostly to blame for bad behaviour, really, not actual physical geography. On the internet, noone knows you're a dog....

Quod erat demonstrandum - bad joke about shooting dogs goes horribly awry and isn't derailed by cheeky Yankee making a sly joke about shooting Jack Russells for the sake of the planet. I blame the Internet. (and Jack Russell luvrs)
Seriously? Now who is generalizing?????? Yankees ARE ruder? Come on.
Have I met some rude Yanks? Sure. Just like I've met some gun totin southerners. Can we please move on???

I think Herr Angry across the hall and his Frau are going camping this weekend (car in the garage is all packed up). I pity the owl who disturbs his sleep.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank ladytag55 for this useful post:
  #135  
Old 08.07.2011, 10:19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Thawil
Posts: 49
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 41 Times in 18 Posts
ladytag55 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Angry Swiss dude

Quote:
View Post
Doubtful, all the hard-core Yankees I know have guns. My brother in law has at least four, my nephew a couple, my former house-mate 5 or 6, the list goes on. If I still lived there, I'd have some as well, and in fact my girlfriend and I are thinking of taking up hunting here (and she has had guns here in the past)

Tom
First of all, I never said Yankees didn't own guns. I just said that never knew any (unless they were cops), nor would I associate with gun owners. I have a friend (in Boston- where apparently everyone is rude) whose father owns a rifle for hunting up in Buffalo, NY. I found that out when my friend called me in a panic that one of her 3 year old twin boys found the rifle in a closet. That sounds safe.
Where does your family live, I wonder?
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 08.07.2011, 10:25
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Thawil
Posts: 49
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 41 Times in 18 Posts
ladytag55 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Angry Swiss dude

Quote:
View Post
hey OP, first, how do you know he's swiss? you speak german well enough to decipher the differences between the different german accents?
second, you witness a man acting like this and suggest it may be dependent on his nationality, do you realize how foolish you sound? I'd say your reaction is as ill-founded as his.
think before you post, please.
third, i'll gladly come round to your place, and f'kin CUCKOO your new friend: just give me the address. I hate bullies and they must be punished, severely.
Yes- Swiss German is very distinctive compared to high German. Secondly, I NEVER said his anger was due to his being Swiss or that all Swiss are angry. I asked if his annoyance with the buzzer was a Swiss thing. I guess I did not state that clearly. Mea culpa on that aspect. And thank you for offering to cuckoo the guy. I have never heard the word cuckoo used as a verb before.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 08.07.2011, 10:26
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 7,756
Groaned at 419 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 18,265 Times in 5,656 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Angry Swiss dude

Quote:
View Post
Yes- Swiss German is very distinctive compared to high German. Secondly, I NEVER said his anger was due to his being Swiss or that all Swiss are angry. I asked if his annoyance with the buzzer was a Swiss thing. I guess I did not state that clearly. Mea culpa on that aspect. And thank you for offering to cuckoo the guy. I have never heard the word cuckoo used as a verb before.
Angry American lady.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 08.07.2011, 10:30
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,511
Groaned at 2,578 Times in 1,840 Posts
Thanked 39,649 Times in 18,688 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Angry Swiss dude

Quote:
View Post
nor would I associate with gun owners
Well, you're certainly living in the wrong country then!

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 08.07.2011, 10:38
inWinti's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 238
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 95 Times in 62 Posts
inWinti has earned some respectinWinti has earned some respect
Re: Angry Swiss dude

In reply to the original post. Your neighbours reaction is pure terror! I dare to suggest that this is a bit of a Swiss thing. The Swiss (my neighbours and friends) are by in large a very friendly bunch. Many I know would help me through thick and thin. Then suddenly, out of the blue, you get someone who thinks they have the right to scream at you in public for some minor 'offence' you might have commited. Like OldHand I am usually so shocked by such outbursts that I have no idea how to react. Having someone like this as a neighbour is so upsetting and can get you quite depressed. We have also experienced scenes like this and managed to move to our small terraced house in Winterthur with fantastic neighbours. Good luck, Robert
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 08.07.2011, 11:14
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Angry Swiss dude

Quote:
View Post
Yes- Swiss German is very distinctive compared to high German. Secondly, I NEVER said his anger was due to his being Swiss or that all Swiss are angry. I asked if his annoyance with the buzzer was a Swiss thing. I guess I did not state that clearly. Mea culpa on that aspect. And thank you for offering to cuckoo the guy. I have never heard the word cuckoo used as a verb before.
A) his anger about the buzzer MAY BE a Swiss thing just as it also is an Austrian, a German and a French thing (NOT exclusively Swiss)
B) I know many French, German, Austrian (etc) people who speak Swiss-German perfectly well

Neither can be an excuse for his grumpy and extreme ways, and his origins in fact are irrelevant.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I am angry Bertrand - Geneva General off-topic 60 20.06.2011 01:29
Swiss MOT - I'm really angry. NBP Transportation/driving 51 06.02.2011 15:45
Angry cat?? Nil Pet corner 9 06.10.2009 22:21
Angry kitty Nil Pet corner 6 23.07.2009 16:20


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0