Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 07.07.2011, 18:36
Sutter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 5,799
Groaned at 68 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,605 Posts
Sutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What on earth just happened in Pfaffikon SZ?

I can hear thunder and it's really windy.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07.07.2011, 18:42
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: What on earth just happened in Pfaffikon SZ?

Quote:
View Post
Aww, bless!

(Yep, that sounds like a thunderstorm all right.)
Is the poor wee man all on his lonesome then. Arrghhh.

Don't know how to say this, but sunny here and we've had a few drops of rain earlier.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07.07.2011, 18:47
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,500
Groaned at 2,578 Times in 1,840 Posts
Thanked 39,639 Times in 18,682 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What on earth just happened in Pfaffikon SZ?

Quote:
I've never seen anything like it.
You haven't lived here long, have you?

Four years ago we had a hailstorm with hailstones the size of apples.

An hour ago, we had small hail, but gale-force winds.

I've seen storm damage here where whole mountainsides had the trees flattened.

Stop WHINING!

Tom

P.S. Luckily, we managed to get the new 47" flatscreen into the house before the mess started!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07.07.2011, 19:01
MathNut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kt. Glarus
Posts: 4,415
Groaned at 34 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 10,952 Times in 3,253 Posts
MathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What on earth just happened in Pfaffikon SZ?

Quote:
Is the poor wee man all on his lonesome then. Arrghhh.

Don't know how to say this, but sunny here and we've had a few drops of rain earlier.
Even worse - he was at work and you know what that's like. The desks are too small to get under for one thing.


Hailstorms can do the whole green-sky-freight-train-noise thing too. The only real way to identify a tornado is to spot one at the time or assess the damage afterward (not the extent of damage so much, but the patterns.)

However, a storm spotter in Mannedorf reports he saw a waterspout over Lake Zurich this afternoon, so it's possible!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07.07.2011, 19:05
evilshell's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, formerly Basel
Posts: 3,347
Groaned at 97 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,341 Posts
evilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What on earth just happened in Pfaffikon SZ?

Quote:
View Post
...

Hailstorms can do the whole green-sky-freight-train-noise thing too. The only real way to identify a tornado is to spot one at the time or assess the damage afterward (not the extent of damage so much, but the patterns.)

However, a storm spotter in Mannedorf reports he saw a waterspout over Lake Zurich this afternoon, so it's possible!
True! But you know how it is being a Midwesterner. They drill those two things into your head from a young age!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank evilshell for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 07.07.2011, 19:45
Sky's Avatar
Sky Sky is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somewhere special far away
Posts: 4,322
Groaned at 69 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 7,190 Times in 2,662 Posts
Sky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What on earth just happened in Pfaffikon SZ?

Happened 25 years ago in Geneva in August. Hail stones the size of golf balls, right in the middle of the afternoon.
I was a teen, and we thought it was just awesome back then.

The car owners were not impressed, all the cars had dents all over the place and.... only the owns with the extra car insurance, got reimbursed.
We had quite a few dented cars around for a few years.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sky for this useful post:
  #27  
Old 07.07.2011, 19:51
Sutter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 5,799
Groaned at 68 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,605 Posts
Sutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What on earth just happened in Pfaffikon SZ?

Quote:
View Post
You haven't lived here long, have you?

Four years ago we had a hailstorm with hailstones the size of apples.

An hour ago, we had small hail, but gale-force winds.

I've seen storm damage here where whole mountainsides had the trees flattened.

Stop WHINING!

Tom

P.S. Luckily, we managed to get the new 47" flatscreen into the house before the mess started!
I remember that luckily our Cars were in the Garage, but a friend of ours had His Car outside made a mess off His car

A few years ago we was in the USA and suddenly it started to hail Golf Balls down on our hire Car everyone stopped in the Tunnel it was pretty scary.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07.07.2011, 19:56
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 9,131
Groaned at 170 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 25,643 Times in 6,892 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What on earth just happened in Pfaffikon SZ?

Come on Basel! I want a huge hailstorm - never seen one before. Had a freak hailstorm a couple of years ago in Stuttgart but the hail was nowhere near as big as shown in that 20min article.

All we have here is some fluffy cloud and sunshine.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank adrianlondon for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 07.07.2011, 20:06
Bertrand - Geneva
 
Posts: n/a
Re: What on earth just happened in Pfaffikon SZ?

Quote:
View Post
Happened 25 years ago in Geneva in August.
25 years to go from Geneva to Pfaffikon ? that's really Swiss Style


I remember it too....
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 07.07.2011, 20:18
the_clangers's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO was St Prex, VD
Posts: 1,999
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 1,185 Times in 697 Posts
the_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What on earth just happened in Pfaffikon SZ?

Quote:
View Post
Aww, bless!

(Yep, that sounds like a thunderstorm all right.)
We in the States have had quite a few of these this summer.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 07.07.2011, 20:22
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: What on earth just happened in Pfaffikon SZ?

I feel very very safe in Neuchatel
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07.07.2011, 20:24
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: What on earth just happened in Pfaffikon SZ?

I took some pictures on the walk to the station, but I can't work out how to put them on the computer. I'll get the Clever Person to have a go later.

Plastic tables and garden boxes looked like they'd been machine gunned. It was weird: clean round holes in some places, total destruction in others. Shutters were bent and battered, the pavements were strewn with leaves, fruit, pine cones and branches (there was a lovely smell of pine in the air), we found the remains of a plastic sign a couple of hundred yards away from where it used to stand, and one of my colleagues had to arrange alternative transport as her car windows had been shattered.

I've never seen such destruction after a bout of bad weather.

BTW, MN tells me that winds of 130 km/h were reported in Oberaegeri - that's a 12 on the Beaufort Scale - hurricane force.

No wonder it was noisy.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07.07.2011, 20:28
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: What on earth just happened in Pfaffikon SZ?

Blimey, and we were there last week-end.
Great you made home safely DB.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07.07.2011, 20:30
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: What on earth just happened in Pfaffikon SZ?

Quote:
Blimey, and we were there last week-end.
Great you made home safely DB.
Thank you!

By the time I left work, it was a lovely summer afternoon. If you ignored the mayhem, it would have been like nothing had happened at all...
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07.07.2011, 20:37
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: na
Posts: 11,381
Groaned at 37 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 27,092 Times in 8,364 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What on earth just happened in Pfaffikon SZ?

Dear doG, what a storm!

My garden has been destroyed.

We had been set for a record fruit year; just this morning I was happily planning what I would do with all the pears, blueberries, raspberries, apples, brombeeren, johanisbeeren, cranberries... and the zuchinni, beans, celery, fennel, tomatoes...

A few of the brombeeren are still gamely clinging on, and I think I can salvage some of the tomatoes that were under the Tomatenhüsli - but the rest is gone.

(Thankfully, I've already had the strawberries and cherries in - so at least there is something to show for this season's work.)

Many of my trees have been stripped, I've lost all the roses, lilies, annuals, many of the tender perennials. Hopefully the cranesbill will revive - it pretty much takes nuclear holocaust to kill that stuff.

Oh well, the great thing about gardening is: There's always next year...
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post:
  #36  
Old 07.07.2011, 20:37
the_clangers's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO was St Prex, VD
Posts: 1,999
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 1,185 Times in 697 Posts
the_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What on earth just happened in Pfaffikon SZ?

Quote:
I took some pictures on the walk to the station, but I can't work out how to put them on the computer. I'll get the Clever Person to have a go later.

Plastic tables and garden boxes looked like they'd been machine gunned. It was weird: clean round holes in some places, total destruction in others. Shutters were bent and battered, the pavements were strewn with leaves, fruit, pine cones and branches (there was a lovely smell of pine in the air), we found the remains of a plastic sign a couple of hundred yards away from where it used to stand, and one of my colleagues had to arrange alternative transport as her car windows had been shattered.

I've never seen such destruction after a bout of bad weather.

BTW, MN tells me that winds of 130 km/h were reported in Oberaegeri - that's a 12 on the Beaufort Scale - hurricane force.

No wonder it was noisy.
As much as I love the Swiss predilection for Window Shutters, I always wondered what would happen if there was a bad hail storm. I guess I know now. Will be interested in seeing pictures.

This is what happened last month over here.
The image is after a few minutes of melting. This stuff dents cars too.
Attached Thumbnails
violent-fatal-summer-storms-over-central-switzerland-hail.jpg  
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank the_clangers for this useful post:
  #37  
Old 07.07.2011, 20:39
saint7uk's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Samstagern
Posts: 989
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 586 Times in 358 Posts
saint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What on earth just happened in Pfaffikon SZ?

Quote:
View Post
Happened 25 years ago in Geneva in August. Hail stones the size of golf balls, right in the middle of the afternoon.
I was a teen, and we thought it was just awesome back then.

The car owners were not impressed, all the cars had dents all over the place and.... only the owns with the extra car insurance, got reimbursed.
We had quite a few dented cars around for a few years.
Always good to have that casco on a policy, last year most of the glass in Einsiedeln (including in the monastery and cars) got smashed in hail.

Fortunately for some property freak weather events such as this are covered under the Gemeinde... something I will be looking into tomorrow for all the shutters that got trashed this afternoon!!!
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07.07.2011, 20:40
Blonaybear's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Blonay
Posts: 1,593
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 836 Times in 432 Posts
Blonaybear has a reputation beyond reputeBlonaybear has a reputation beyond reputeBlonaybear has a reputation beyond reputeBlonaybear has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What on earth just happened in Pfaffikon SZ?

We had a big storm in Swiss Romande in July 2005. Thread here.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07.07.2011, 20:42
the_clangers's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO was St Prex, VD
Posts: 1,999
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 1,185 Times in 697 Posts
the_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What on earth just happened in Pfaffikon SZ?

Quote:
View Post
Dear doG, what a storm!

My garden has been destroyed.

We had been set for a record fruit year; just this morning I was happily planning what I would do with all the pears, blueberries, raspberries, apples, brombeeren, johanisbeeren, cranberries... and the zuchinni, beans, celery, fennel, tomatoes...

A few of the brombeeren are still gamely clinging on, and I think I can salvage some of the tomatoes that were under the Tomatenhüsli - but the rest is gone.

(Thankfully, I've already had the strawberries and cherries in - so at least there is something to show for this season's work.)

Many of my trees have been stripped, I've lost all the roses, lilies, annuals, many of the tender perennials. Hopefully the cranesbill will revive - it pretty much takes nuclear holocaust to kill that stuff.

Oh well, the great thing about gardening is: There's always next year...
You have my genuine sympathy. My family farms and hail is actually the one thing all farmers fear. I have seen fields of corn (maize) as rows of green sticks with no leaves or ears for miles.

I hope some of everyone's stuff survives. Good Luck to you all. This is sure going to make your produce costs skyrocket.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank the_clangers for this useful post:
  #40  
Old 07.07.2011, 21:09
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 583
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 280 Times in 173 Posts
we_da_man is considered knowledgeablewe_da_man is considered knowledgeablewe_da_man is considered knowledgeable
Two dead in Crazy hail in kanton Schweiz

Crazy hail in kanton Schweiz and lake of Zurich, intense damage to property!

http://www.tagesschau.sf.tv/Nachrich...dem-Zuerichsee

http://www.blick.ch/news/schweiz/gew...schweiz-176279


hope all EF members who live in Schweiz are ok
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank we_da_man for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rain storms! economisto Daily life 112 07.08.2011 00:01
Violent Christianity Cashboy General off-topic 646 14.02.2010 14:08
fatal blasts hits jakarta swissotter International affairs/politics 4 17.07.2009 11:16
Are all these storms normal? cantarell Daily life 31 13.07.2007 10:26


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0