Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 11.07.2011, 23:18
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A Swiss thing or just odd behaviour?

Quote:
View Post
Don't worry. The French part is not as crazy as the German part. I've never tied my paper waste. Do it if you can/know how/want to/everyone else is doing it. If not don't worry about it.
I concur. Sounds like we live in a completely different country. Not only that I don't know many people who actually do recycle stuff that after a week does not fit in their wee aparments or cellars, it's mostly businesses who do, but it's just a few giant piles of cardboard, boxes full of old papers, plastic bags full of shredded bits of documments, nothing is really tied, one big mess of whatever paper put together. It all gets picked up and next day all is clean.

What gets me more is the fact that there is no place to store garbage. There is no way most people I know have space for more than one compartment garbage can, but even then you have to store your own garbage where you live or in the basement, which is not suited to store municipal garbage. So unhygienic. In such a crowded area we live in, there should be communal dumpsters, containers, where we can leave it sit till it gets picked up twice a week. To have a baby and a three days old garbage sitting in one appartment makes me gag. Or having it in the basement where one stores winter fun things, shoes, jams and old baby stuff.

So, anal the system is, it does not make much sense...living with garbage? Public garbage cans very scarse so people carry their own mess in their pockets all over the town? We are a major tourist area and people litter, not having where to actually put trash. Nor many benches to sit on, but that's another thing...anyways.

Don't knock off complainers, since it takes as much energy to complain about it here, as it does to try to seemingly nonchalantly dispute their points, hahaha, so...just musing over trash. And some martini
__________________
"L'homme ne peut pas remplacer son coeur avec sa tete, ni sa tete avec ses mains." J.H. Pestalozzi

“The only difference between a rut and a grave is a matter of depth.” S.P. Cadman

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." A. Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 11.07.2011, 23:26
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,952
Groaned at 295 Times in 199 Posts
Thanked 19,020 Times in 8,000 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A Swiss thing or just odd behaviour?

as a tip, when you register at your gemeinde, ask for the rubbish/recycling guide. they just gave me mine when i moved and it was around 15 pages long!
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 11.07.2011, 23:27
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A Swiss thing or just odd behaviour?

Quote:
View Post
Apparently in the modern world it can be included with the cardboard for recycling. But as Switzerland is still stuck in the 60's it's unlikely to be allowed here.
In the 1960ies, 70ies, 80ies, into the 90ies, you COULD include cardboard with the paper. It is the "modern world" which no longer allows it. And until the late 1960ies you anyway threw away whatever
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 11.07.2011, 23:53
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: A Swiss thing or just odd behaviour?

Quote:
There are new rules to learn wherever you go (or at least in all the different places I have lived in) so it's not really big news that you have to adjust and make a few changes.

In this case, how do they know it's a newcomer and not someone who just can't be arsed? I guess if they started sorting through your recycling to find out your contact details to make the effort to send you a letter or call on you to say "Hey dude, next time no bag, ok?" that would be deemed unacceptable and intrusive, no? Isn't this kind of a no-win situation for them?
You are correct, and the thing is that those who want to "do their dirty deed and run" will be startled when an invoice for littering follows them to their new abode. It just saves time and makes more sense to follow these minor rules. It's less frustrating. "Immaturity breeds resistance where it's least needed". Sometimes people aren't used to things running well and need to find petty excuses to spread thier misery.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 12.07.2011, 00:20
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A Swiss thing or just odd behaviour?

Quote:
View Post
Don't worry. The French part is not as crazy as the German part. I've never tied my paper waste. Do it if you can/know how/want to/everyone else is doing it. If not don't worry about it.
Well well well "diä Wälsche" are indeed a bit on the negligent side and do NOT take things so seriously (diä nämed's nöd so gääch")
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 12.07.2011, 00:28
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A Swiss thing or just odd behaviour?

Quote:
View Post
I concur. Sounds like we live in a completely different country. Not only that I don't know many people who actually do recycle stuff that after a week does not fit in their wee aparments or cellars, it's mostly businesses who do, but it's just a few giant piles of cardboard, boxes full of old papers, plastic bags full of shredded bits of documments, nothing is really tied, one big mess of whatever paper put together. It all gets picked up and next day all is clean.

What gets me more is the fact that there is no place to store garbage. There is no way most people I know have space for more than one compartment garbage can, but even then you have to store your own garbage where you live or in the basement, which is not suited to store municipal garbage. So unhygienic. In such a crowded area we live in, there should be communal dumpsters, containers, where we can leave it sit till it gets picked up twice a week. To have a baby and a three days old garbage sitting in one appartment makes me gag. Or having it in the basement where one stores winter fun things, shoes, jams and old baby stuff.

So, anal the system is, it does not make much sense...living with garbage? Public garbage cans very scarse so people carry their own mess in their pockets all over the town? We are a major tourist area and people litter, not having where to actually put trash. Nor many benches to sit on, but that's another thing...anyways.

Don't knock off complainers, since it takes as much energy to complain about it here, as it does to try to seemingly nonchalantly dispute their points, hahaha, so...just musing over trash. And some martini
Here in the Zurich area you have containers outside where you can put your correct bags into all the time.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #107  
Old 12.07.2011, 00:43
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,952
Groaned at 295 Times in 199 Posts
Thanked 19,020 Times in 8,000 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A Swiss thing or just odd behaviour?

hmm. here there seem to be containers. but i thought they were for an apartment block across the road so didn't want to put mine in there. (probably end up outside my front door again ) might have to buy my own wheely bin to be on the safe side...
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 12.07.2011, 00:48
Mikey's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ex-Zurich now relieved
Posts: 650
Groaned at 18 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 473 Times in 245 Posts
Mikey has a reputation beyond reputeMikey has a reputation beyond reputeMikey has a reputation beyond reputeMikey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A Swiss thing or just odd behaviour?

Quote:
View Post
In the 1960ies, 70ies, 80ies, into the 90ies, you COULD include cardboard with the paper. It is the "modern world" which no longer allows it. And until the late 1960ies you anyway threw away whatever
My reference was to recycling shredded paper that you said should go in with the normal waste but other parts of the world puts in with the cardboard.
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 12.07.2011, 03:19
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,971
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A Swiss thing or just odd behaviour?

Quote:
View Post
Well well well "diä Wälsche" are indeed a bit on the negligent side and do NOT take things so seriously (diä nämed's nöd so gääch")
Yeah, we are not obsessive compulsive. They have medication for that now.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank miniMia for this useful post:
  #110  
Old 12.07.2011, 07:27
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: A Swiss thing or just odd behaviour?

Quote:
View Post
Here in the Zurich area you have containers outside where you can put your correct bags into all the time.
Yes, our area has them too, but they were only installed perhaps 4 or 5 years ago after a hullaballoo from the residents because we were having to keep the smelly binbags on balconies/terraces once they were full.

I think they also got sick of foxes or other animals using them as a food source and ripping the bags to shreds for food scraps on a nightly basis.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 12.07.2011, 07:46
KeinFranzösisch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,198
Groaned at 63 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,115 Posts
KeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A Swiss thing or just odd behaviour?

It's a silly system. You can't even really recycle everything that is recyclable.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 12.07.2011, 08:11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 32
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Pacino has no particular reputation at present
Re: A Swiss thing or just odd behaviour?

Okay, I have not read the whole thread, but putting paper in bags is supposedly not good for the recycling! It has something to do with the coating of the paper bags. Read for example this article from 2010:
http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/zuerich/...19120064?track
"Denn die Tragtaschen haben grosse Auswirkungen auf die Wiederaufbereitung des Papiers, wie Sprecherin Leta Filli sagt. «Die Taschen, egal ob vom Detailhändeler oder aus einer Boutique, sind imprägniert, was im Recyclingkreislauf grosse Probleme verursacht.» Die wasserabweisenden Stoffe würden in der Papierfaser-Masse zu Verunreinigungen führen."
(And if you look at all the comments in the article, it's a big topic for the Swiss too
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 12.07.2011, 08:14
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,191
Groaned at 11 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,781 Times in 704 Posts
ceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A Swiss thing or just odd behaviour?

Quote:
View Post
Okay, I have not read the whole thread, but putting paper in bags is supposedly not good for the recycling! It has something to do with the coating of the paper bags. Read for example this article from 2010:
http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/zuerich/...19120064?track
"Denn die Tragtaschen haben grosse Auswirkungen auf die Wiederaufbereitung des Papiers, wie Sprecherin Leta Filli sagt. «Die Taschen, egal ob vom Detailhändeler oder aus einer Boutique, sind imprägniert, was im Recyclingkreislauf grosse Probleme verursacht.» Die wasserabweisenden Stoffe würden in der Papierfaser-Masse zu Verunreinigungen führen."
(And if you look at all the comments in the article, it's a big topic for the Swiss too
And, if you really want a laugh, just read Google's English translation of that article.
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 12.07.2011, 08:19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 32
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Pacino has no particular reputation at present
Re: A Swiss thing or just odd behaviour?

Sorry, the german part says something like:
The paper bags have a big effect on the recycling of the newspapers, as Leta Filli, spokesperson from ERZ says. The bags, regardless as from a boutique or a store department are coated, which leads to problems in the recycling process. The water-repellent substances can cause pollution in the mass of paper fibres.

Btw, in the Zurich there's a free SMS-service which reminds you a day before Altpapier- or Kartonsammlung.
https://www.stadt-zuerich.ch/interne...ome/login.html
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 12.07.2011, 08:27
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,191
Groaned at 11 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,781 Times in 704 Posts
ceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A Swiss thing or just odd behaviour?

Quote:
View Post
Sorry, the german part says something like:
The paper bags have a big effect on the recycling of the newspapers, as Leta Filli, spokesperson from ERZ says. The bags, regardless as from a boutique or a store department are coated, which leads to problems in the recycling process. The water-repellent substances can cause pollution in the mass of paper fibres.

Btw, in the Zurich there's a free SMS-service which reminds you a day before Altpapier- or Kartonsammlung.
https://www.stadt-zuerich.ch/interne...ome/login.html
That's spoiling the fun, Pacino.
In the English translation we have -
"wrong bundled papers let our staff are and provided it with yellow glue"
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 12.07.2011, 08:35
poptart's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,785
Groaned at 33 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 3,013 Times in 1,242 Posts
poptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A Swiss thing or just odd behaviour?

Quote:
View Post
Well, since you bring it up, how do I recycle obsolete humans?

Do I wait for the Monty Python style collection: "Bring out your dead!" or do I need a lot of string?

Please assist. I want to do the right thing here.
Around here, there's a special day for recycling dead pets so, I figure if you glue some fur on 'em and tie some string on them, they'll get collected without a problem.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank poptart for this useful post:
  #117  
Old 12.07.2011, 08:42
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A Swiss thing or just odd behaviour?

Quote:
View Post
My reference was to recycling shredded paper that you said should go in with the normal waste but other parts of the world puts in with the cardboard.
Shredded paper is NOT cardbox NOR is it old paper. If you put shredded paper into your cardbox thing, you risk that everything is refused
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 12.07.2011, 08:43
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,191
Groaned at 11 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,781 Times in 704 Posts
ceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A Swiss thing or just odd behaviour?

Quote:
View Post
Around here, there's a special day for recycling dead pets so, I figure if you glue some fur on 'em and tie some string on them, they'll get collected without a problem.
My old man's almost there then, with tufts of hair poking out of his ears and nose and his eyebrows now seem to be long enough to comb.
I no longer look at the rest of him
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 12.07.2011, 09:22
Mikey's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ex-Zurich now relieved
Posts: 650
Groaned at 18 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 473 Times in 245 Posts
Mikey has a reputation beyond reputeMikey has a reputation beyond reputeMikey has a reputation beyond reputeMikey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A Swiss thing or just odd behaviour?

Quote:
View Post
Shredded paper is NOT cardbox NOR is it old paper. If you put shredded paper into your cardbox thing, you risk that everything is refused
You have demonstrated my point beautifully.
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 12.07.2011, 10:17
gregg's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
gregg has no particular reputation at present
Re: A Swiss thing or just odd behaviour?

Wow. Just read through this whole thread about paper recycling. Very interesting. Lets see. We have some contributors who admit they dont know the rules because no one has told them or perhaps (my own assumption) because the rules/fineprint are/is not in English, like most things in Swiss, and some who have run out of cheese and others who have taken to snorting alchohol! Really funny bunch - is it only like this in English minds or are some contributors really not English and are just practising on the rest of us?

Moral of the story: "If you care about the environment and don`t toss everything in a plastic packet use a piece of organic string and tie your pieces of paper in a damn pile so it`s easier to recycle" - Oder?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank gregg for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Strange behaviour on a Swiss train. (Girls, have you ever done anything like this?) grumpygrapefruit Daily life 114 07.04.2011 15:24
American health care bill, a good thing or a bad thing? HollidayG International affairs/politics 428 26.05.2010 19:46
Problematic swiss children... Is there such thing in Switzerland? Zva Daily life 25 06.08.2009 00:46
Odd road signs+ odd behaviour? Brightonite Transportation/driving 11 21.04.2009 19:13
The best thing on Swiss TV is....... Swiss Cheddar TV/internet/telephone 18 27.05.2008 21:13


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0