Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 08.08.2011, 10:34
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,901
Groaned at 2,389 Times in 1,737 Posts
Thanked 38,849 Times in 18,312 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why aren't prices falling...?

Quote:
View Post
Lucky you!

Average prices, Switzerland CHF 1.73 1.79 1.83

http://www.reisen-tcs.ch/travel/de/h...zinpreise.html
1.65 here as of last Friday.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08.08.2011, 10:48
Joy2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Nebenan, CH
Posts: 121
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 214 Times in 62 Posts
Joy2 has an excellent reputationJoy2 has an excellent reputationJoy2 has an excellent reputationJoy2 has an excellent reputation
German stores are absolutely packed with Swiss consumers on Saturdays, so some people are voting with their feet.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08.08.2011, 10:50
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 847
Groaned at 27 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 1,044 Times in 364 Posts
Panther has a reputation beyond reputePanther has a reputation beyond reputePanther has a reputation beyond reputePanther has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why aren't prices falling...?

Quote:
View Post
Lucky you!

Average prices, Switzerland CHF 1.73 1.79 1.83

http://www.reisen-tcs.ch/travel/de/h...zinpreise.html
And its still cheaper than Germany.....
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08.08.2011, 10:55
KeinFranzösisch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,198
Groaned at 63 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,115 Posts
KeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why aren't prices falling...?

Quote:
View Post
Sorry to go OT here for a second, but... is this true?
Just because something is packaged in the EU it can carry a MADE in EU label??

I really wish that everything needed to be clearly labeled here, as they do in the states. It is something I always look for.
I thought the rule was that it has to say "Assembled in..."
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08.08.2011, 11:12
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Lyss
Posts: 910
Groaned at 37 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 883 Times in 434 Posts
glinaa has a reputation beyond reputeglinaa has a reputation beyond reputeglinaa has a reputation beyond reputeglinaa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why aren't prices falling...?

Quote:
View Post
Germany is the no.1 fattest country in Europe. It has to do with the cheap, low quality food IMO (just like in the US).
No. It has to do with Schweinshaxe, Wurst, Bratkartoffeln and tons of gravy.
Cook this with cleanest, best quality bio varieties of ingredients you can find, and you'll still be fat :-)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank glinaa for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 08.08.2011, 11:20
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why aren't prices falling...?

Quote:
View Post
I thought the rule was that it has to say "Assembled in..."
Yes, or packaged in or some other meaningless statement. "Made in" means that at least 50% of the value added must be in the country/region stated.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08.08.2011, 11:23
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 847
Groaned at 27 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 1,044 Times in 364 Posts
Panther has a reputation beyond reputePanther has a reputation beyond reputePanther has a reputation beyond reputePanther has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why aren't prices falling...?

Quote:
View Post
No. It has to do with Schweinshaxe, Wurst, Bratkartoffeln and tons of gravy.
Cook this with cleanest, best quality bio varieties of ingredients you can find, and you'll still be fat :-)
I think the key word is CHEAP, ergo the opportunity to eat more low quality fast food, which leads to weight problems.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08.08.2011, 13:40
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why aren't prices falling...?

Migros demands measures against too high prices on imported goods. Economics Minister Schneider-Ammann invites to a round-table conference

This coming wednesday, the federal minister will meet Migros-Chief Herbert Bolliger, and the price-supervisor plus WEKO (commission on competition) and producers, in-between-traders and importers at the Round Table. He wants to hear why the exchange-rates profits on imported goods are not handed onward to the customers.

The problem for the shops is acute, as they permanently lose customers to the competition on the other side of the border.

Migros-Chief Bolliger stated in the Migros-Magazin "The authorities should use their possibilities" He and former price-supervisor Rudolf Strahm most of all criticized that powerful manufacturers and distributors coordinate prices with each other, and make parallel imports impossible. Mr Bolliger and Mr Strahm demand that "vertical agreements" become prohibited with a new federal "urgency-law".

According to Mr Strahm, Switzerland due to such vertical agreements loses some 20 billions of CHF per year.

Professor Roger Zäch means that a new law is not necessary as the WEKO should use the term "market dominance" in accordance with article 4.2 in full, and declare the blocking of currency-profits as illegal MISUSE

Schneider-Ammann however is determined to improve the cartel-law, not least in regard to verical agreements (Art. 5.4) .

CVP leader Christophe Darbellay demands that the price-supervisor gets entitled to lower the prices of imported merchandise if the prices are more than 10% above those abroad. Also Darbellay demands a better law against vertical agreements.

Here the link to the article in the "Am Sonntag" of yesterday
http://www.sonntagonline.ch/ressort/aktuell/1778/
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 08.08.2011, 17:07
Ittigen
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why aren't prices falling...?

Quote:
View Post
Dude, there isn't just one lamb supplier in the whole Switzerland. Furthermore, how can you guarantee that Aldi doesn't close both eyes on quality when it comes to price/contract negotiation ? Germany is the no.1 fattest country in Europe. It has to do with the cheap, low quality food IMO (just like in the US).

I'm not confident on Coop/Migros eather, but obviously, there's less junk food there.
There you go, supporting the robber barons again. I said it was tender and delicious. Why pay more?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 08.08.2011, 21:54
RTN RTN is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Uetikon am See
Posts: 1,455
Groaned at 13 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 1,645 Times in 735 Posts
RTN has a reputation beyond reputeRTN has a reputation beyond reputeRTN has a reputation beyond reputeRTN has a reputation beyond reputeRTN has a reputation beyond reputeRTN has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why aren't prices falling...?

Switzerland in it's defence on prices, pays a lot more for the same products than any of it's neighbours. I was having this discussion with my plumber who could buy online cheaper (over the boarder) than the wholesale price (he had seen the invoices) of his supplier (Sanitas Trost). I think this is a major part of the problem, Swiss resellers have paid over the top prices (and then passed it along to the consumer) for so long that no one takes them seriously when (or if they tried) to renegotiate prices. Take a look at the price difference between UK and Germany for quality power tools or kitchen appliences and you will see there is no way retailers can control the massive difference in price, it comes from the manufacturer or producer and gets exagerated as everone adds their % margin.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank RTN for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 08.08.2011, 21:55
RTN RTN is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Uetikon am See
Posts: 1,455
Groaned at 13 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 1,645 Times in 735 Posts
RTN has a reputation beyond reputeRTN has a reputation beyond reputeRTN has a reputation beyond reputeRTN has a reputation beyond reputeRTN has a reputation beyond reputeRTN has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why aren't prices falling...?

Quote:
View Post
There you go, supporting the robber barons again. I said it was tender and delicious. Why pay more?
Well at least it is Australian!!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank RTN for this useful post:
  #32  
Old 08.08.2011, 22:29
Gav's Avatar
Gav Gav is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ireland
Posts: 966
Groaned at 15 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 468 Times in 187 Posts
Gav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why aren't prices falling...?

Quote:
View Post
Switzerland in it's defence on prices, pays a lot more for the same products than any of it's neighbours. I was having this discussion with my plumber who could buy online cheaper (over the boarder) than the wholesale price (he had seen the invoices) of his supplier (Sanitas Trost). I think this is a major part of the problem, Swiss resellers have paid over the top prices (and then passed it along to the consumer) for so long that no one takes them seriously when (or if they tried) to renegotiate prices. Take a look at the price difference between UK and Germany for quality power tools or kitchen appliences and you will see there is no way retailers can control the massive difference in price, it comes from the manufacturer or producer and gets exagerated as everone adds their % margin.
Sorry - but who is 'Switzerland' in this context?

The consumer?
The shop/tradesman?
The distributor?
The importers?
The original producer?


Where does the 'paying more' stop - Someone is really coining it in. The CHF has appreciated massively in the last few years, prices on just about everything imported (except maybe price volatile stuff like oil products) should have dropped continuously and by a large amount over that time.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08.08.2011, 22:43
grumpygrapefruit's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NL, UK & sometimes ZH
Posts: 6,373
Groaned at 38 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 17,470 Times in 4,483 Posts
grumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why aren't prices falling...?

Quote:
View Post
Sorry - but who is 'Switzerland' in this context?

The consumer?
The shop/tradesman?
The distributor?
The importers?
The original producer?


Where does the 'paying more' stop - Someone is really coining it in. The CHF has appreciated massively in the last few years, prices on just about everything imported (except maybe price volatile stuff like oil products) should have dropped continuously and by a large amount over that time.
A drop of say up to 40% for Swiss importers for the cost of supplied products in the UK/Euroland due to the strength of the SFr would equate to about 5-10% drop in the retail price in CH. Hardly a large amount but if some retailers are not now passing on that saving, they soon will have to.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank grumpygrapefruit for this useful post:
  #34  
Old 08.08.2011, 23:01
Ittigen
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why aren't prices falling...?

Why not support your local Turkish shop? Forget the robber barons, and pretend you are on holiday!

Somehow these shops manage to sell large selections of fruit, vegetables, turkish cheese, local yoghurt, frozen meat and frozen fish, local bread and cakes. And they are ALL way below the Migros and Coop prices.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #35  
Old 08.08.2011, 23:37
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why aren't prices falling...?

Quote:
View Post
Sorry - but who is 'Switzerland' in this context?

The consumer?
The shop/tradesman?
The distributor?
The importers?
The original producer?


Where does the 'paying more' stop - Someone is really coining it in. The CHF has appreciated massively in the last few years, prices on just about everything imported (except maybe price volatile stuff like oil products) should have dropped continuously and by a large amount over that time.
The consumer and the shop/tradesman are Swiss
The distributor is either Swiss or the Swiss outlet of ...
The importers by nr are mostly CH but by size often foreign
The original producer in case of imports of course is foreign
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08.08.2011, 23:44
Gav's Avatar
Gav Gav is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ireland
Posts: 966
Groaned at 15 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 468 Times in 187 Posts
Gav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why aren't prices falling...?

Quote:
View Post
A drop of say up to 40% for Swiss importers for the cost of supplied products in the UK/Euroland due to the strength of the SFr would equate to about 5-10% drop in the retail price in CH. Hardly a large amount but if some retailers are not now passing on that saving, they soon will have to.

Yes - so why does a 40% fall in raw import cost drop to only 5-10% reduction at retail???

We're always told that small input cost increases lead to large retail cost increases but apparently whopping decreases in the raw cost lead to only small decreases in the retail cost ... ?

B.S. Someone is making very tidy profits indeed - but I guess if the Swiss consumer is willing to cough up over the odds then ripoff Switzerland is as bad as ripoff Britain.

At some stage of course, the CHF will take a large tumble. You can bet that retail price rises will be quick to rise.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Gav for this useful post:
  #37  
Old 08.08.2011, 23:46
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why aren't prices falling...?

Quote:
View Post
Why not support your local Turkish shop? Forget the robber barons, and pretend you are on holiday!

Somehow these shops manage to sell large selections of fruit, vegetables, turkish cheese, local yoghurt, frozen meat and frozen fish, local bread and cakes. And they are ALL way below the Migros and Coop prices.
Which shows on one side what good businessmen many of them are, and shows on the other side that Migros chief Bolliger is a crook. His company in fact also is wholesale importer and even a EUroland producer. Last year he attacked Lidl and Aldi with exactly the arguments used by the opponents against Migros in the 1950ies, now his company PROFITTED from the currency situation endlessly, but out of a sudden he moves ahead with verbal attacks against profiteers. Same with Mr Loosli at Coop. For sure an excellent manager, but of course keeping profits back. Reducing prices by 2 or 3 percent is a nice gesture, but of course ways away from reality.


Quote:
View Post
I guess if the Swiss consumer is willing to cough up over the odds then ripoff Switzerland is as bad as ripoff Britain.

.
You guess what ??? How do you arrive at the weird conclusion that the Swiss consumer is willing to ....... ? The media for quite a while has been full of comments and complaints showing that the Swiss consumer is NOT willing ....

If you do not realize what there is in the media, it is YOUR mistake
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #38  
Old 09.08.2011, 00:01
grumpygrapefruit's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NL, UK & sometimes ZH
Posts: 6,373
Groaned at 38 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 17,470 Times in 4,483 Posts
grumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why aren't prices falling...?

Quote:
View Post
Yes - so why does a 40% fall in raw import cost drop to only 5-10% reduction at retail???

We're always told that small input cost increases lead to large retail cost increases but apparently whopping decreases in the raw cost lead to only small decreases in the retail cost ... ?

B.S. Someone is making very tidy profits indeed - but I guess if the Swiss consumer is willing to cough up over the odds then ripoff Switzerland is as bad as ripoff Britain.

At some stage of course, the CHF will take a large tumble. You can bet that retail price rises will be quick to rise.
Transport, import, admin, rent, wages, insurance, telephone, leasing, petrol, advertising etc. etc. etc. are the largest chunk in the final retail cost of products here in CH (as in any country). Guess what..... they are all paid in SFr.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank grumpygrapefruit for this useful post:
  #39  
Old 09.08.2011, 01:02
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Not switzerland
Posts: 74
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 86 Times in 19 Posts
henrytkhau has earned some respecthenrytkhau has earned some respect
Re: Why aren't prices falling...?

I wonder if the OP was asking a rhetorical question

When I discuss prices with Swiss colleagues, I always get the same stock answer: "You are paid more here"

Using this logic, a millionaire might be happy to pay CHF 200 for a burger. A rip-off is a rip-off, regardless of your income. Another swiss gave me the stock answer this evening and it made my blood boil

If I mention this, I get the other stock answer: "you should leave Switzerland"
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank henrytkhau for this useful post:
  #40  
Old 09.08.2011, 01:08
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,378
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why aren't prices falling...?

In any business there is a price people will pay, that price is not connected in any way with the price of producing the product. This is the reason why most of the US motor industry went bankrupt a couple of years ago. Selling a product below the cost of making it!

Salaries are high because costs are high....... If the prices were lower so would ExPat salaries.


Quote:
View Post
I wonder if the OP was asking a rhetorical question

When I discuss prices with Swiss colleagues, I always get the same stock answer: "You are paid more here"

Using this logic, a millionaire might be happy to pay CHF 200 for a burger. A rip-off is a rip-off, regardless of your income. Another swiss gave me the stock answer this evening and it made my blood boil

If I mention this, I get the other stock answer: "you should leave Switzerland"
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
chf, drop, gas, interest, prices




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why are motor vehicles prices' obscenely more expensive than their UK counterparts? FreshinTwn Transportation/driving 29 15.07.2020 21:46
Public holidays falling on weekends Swissmountainair Daily life 67 23.10.2010 00:33
Falling death rate in the UK Gastro Gnome General off-topic 16 22.07.2010 16:12
Why aren't "Rogue Traders" banned for life from their profession? martin34 Complaints corner 4 18.03.2009 12:03
UK Energy prices - why not in Switzerland? AbFab General off-topic 1 25.07.2008 13:16


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0