Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 15.08.2011, 23:57
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 209
Groaned at 26 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 171 Times in 67 Posts
sun&rain is considered knowledgeablesun&rain is considered knowledgeablesun&rain is considered knowledgeable
TLC for IKEA delivery men?

IKEA are delivering and installing some items. Delivery and installation will cost around CHF1000. They will be carrying everything few floors up with no lift
I assume there would be minimum 2 people and maximum.....no clue.

Am I supposed to give them a tip afterwards? Mrs says we have already paid them enough. So shall I just offer them drinks? How many drinks and what kind of drinks? What is the correct etiquette?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 16.08.2011, 00:05
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 5,056
Groaned at 286 Times in 204 Posts
Thanked 10,667 Times in 4,005 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: TLC for IKEA delivery men?

I can't think of any reason why you should NOT offer them something to drink... but I think just water alone should be fine. Or you could also offer coffee if they come early in the morning.

As for a tip, I'm not sure what the custom is here. But I do know that, when we had 2 guys come to deliver and assemble our wardrobes, my Swiss husband did not tip them. I don't think tipping is done nearly as often here as it is done in the States, for example.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Pancakes for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 16.08.2011, 00:07
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Basel
Posts: 126
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 41 Times in 23 Posts
Aryans has no particular reputation at present
Re: TLC for IKEA delivery men?

Quote:
View Post
IKEA are delivering and installing some items. Delivery and installation will cost around CHF1000. They will be carrying everything few floors up with no lift
I assume there would be minimum 2 people and maximum.....no clue.

Am I supposed to give them a tip afterwards? Mrs says we have already paid them enough. So shall I just offer them drinks? How many drinks and what kind of drinks? What is the correct etiquette?
Usually people don't give tips except in Restaurants and on this forum
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Aryans for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 16.08.2011, 00:08
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lugano
Posts: 6,504
Groaned at 129 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 7,882 Times in 3,674 Posts
Mrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: TLC for IKEA delivery men?

Quote:
View Post
IKEA are delivering and installing some items. Delivery and installation will cost around CHF1000. They will be carrying everything few floors up with no lift
I assume there would be minimum 2 people and maximum.....no clue.

Am I supposed to give them a tip afterwards? Mrs says we have already paid them enough. So shall I just offer them drinks? How many drinks and what kind of drinks? What is the correct etiquette?
You can tip if you like, and it will be very appreciated because most people don't tip. Something cold to drink (bottled water) will be welcome if it is hot. Don't wait until they are done to offer something to drink. Chances are with no lift they are going to be hot and sweaty even before they start the assembly.

Hope all goes well.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mrs. Doolittle for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 16.08.2011, 00:09
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 209
Groaned at 26 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 171 Times in 67 Posts
sun&rain is considered knowledgeablesun&rain is considered knowledgeablesun&rain is considered knowledgeable
Re: TLC for IKEA delivery men?

Quote:
View Post
I can't think of any reason why you should NOT offer them something to drink... but I think just water alone should be fine. Or you could also offer coffee if they come early in the morning.

As for a tip, I'm not sure what the custom is here. But I do know that, when we had 2 guys come to deliver and assemble our wardrobes, my Swiss husband did not tip them. I don't think tipping is done nearly as often here as it is done in the States, for example.
They are coming at 7am. Kitchen is stuffed full of boxes from other rooms. I will offer them instant coffee.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 16.08.2011, 00:15
Ittigen
 
Posts: n/a
Re: TLC for IKEA delivery men?

These men do not earn a lot of money, and will probably be with you for an hour or three. There is no harm in giving them some drinks, some lunch and a tip of Sfr 20,-- each, about halfway through. Then if there are unforeseen problems, you can be sure they will not be overlooked.

When I stay for a week in a cheap hotel I always tip the room cleaner on the first morning about SFr 20,-- then I enjoy absolute top cleaning with fresh towels every day. If you tip on the last day they cannot show their appreciation.

P.S. the men probably work for a local firm under contract to IKEA.

Last edited by Ittigen; 16.08.2011 at 00:46.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 16.08.2011, 01:57
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: California
Posts: 671
Groaned at 26 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 704 Times in 311 Posts
SwissPete has earned the respect of manySwissPete has earned the respect of manySwissPete has earned the respect of many
Re: TLC for IKEA delivery men?

From a US perspective: Tip them, offer them drinks, lunch if they are still around at noon (get some bread and cold cuts). They will appreciate the gesture, and you may start a (much needed) trend...
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank SwissPete for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 16.08.2011, 02:02
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 209
Groaned at 26 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 171 Times in 67 Posts
sun&rain is considered knowledgeablesun&rain is considered knowledgeablesun&rain is considered knowledgeable
Re: TLC for IKEA delivery men?

Brockito came to our flat and I gave them drinks and tip. The lazy bum in charge of finger pointing pocketed most of it unfortunately instead of the two immigrants who did all the hard work.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 16.08.2011, 09:57
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 209
Groaned at 26 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 171 Times in 67 Posts
sun&rain is considered knowledgeablesun&rain is considered knowledgeablesun&rain is considered knowledgeable
Re: TLC for IKEA delivery men?

The only room they won't be working in is the kitchen. The kitchen is packed with stuff from all the other empty rooms so I can't disappear there. So my question is what do I do when they assemble all the items? Do I stand and observe them or help them?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 16.08.2011, 10:43
KeinFranzösisch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,198
Groaned at 63 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,115 Posts
KeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: TLC for IKEA delivery men?

Quote:
View Post
These men do not earn a lot of money, and will probably be with you for an hour or three. There is no harm in giving them some drinks, some lunch and a tip of Sfr 20,-- each, about halfway through. Then if there are unforeseen problems, you can be sure they will not be overlooked.

When I stay for a week in a cheap hotel I always tip the room cleaner on the first morning about SFr 20,-- then I enjoy absolute top cleaning with fresh towels every day. If you tip on the last day they cannot show their appreciation.

P.S. the men probably work for a local firm under contract to IKEA.
Um... why? I still don't understand this concept of tipping people when the costs of their FULL labor (plus profits for the company) are included in what you've paid for the delivery and installation.

Why don't we tip the salesman at MediaMarkt if this is how we feel about people in low(er)-paying jobs? It's just such a contradiction.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank KeinFranzösisch for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 16.08.2011, 11:56
Village Idiot's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 3,701
Groaned at 35 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 6,966 Times in 2,251 Posts
Village Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: TLC for IKEA delivery men?

Quote:
View Post
Brockito came to our flat and I gave them drinks and tip. The lazy bum in charge of finger pointing pocketed most of it unfortunately instead of the two immigrants who did all the hard work.
Rule of thumb in this situation is always to give a tip to the person in-charge in sight of the other workers. When we have movers, we were always recommended to tip the foreman, who could share out the tip as appropriate (as some staff worked more/less than others).

I'm with the 'no tip' brigade on this one, though. I always offer a coffee and croissant, and it's usually gratefully accepted. Later in the day, I offer cold drinks and I'll normally offer lunch as well if they're working over the lunch hour.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 16.08.2011, 12:24
Ittigen
 
Posts: n/a
Re: TLC for IKEA delivery men?

Quote:
View Post
Um... why? I still don't understand this concept of tipping people when the costs of their FULL labor (plus profits for the company) are included in what you've paid for the delivery and installation.

Why don't we tip the salesman at MediaMarkt if this is how we feel about people in low(er)-paying jobs? It's just such a contradiction.
As I have explained twice, if you tip early enough you benefit from super service.

The workers are employed at a wage of around SFr 23 per hour. You have just ordered CHF 1,000 of installation work and you don't want to give another Fr 40,-- ?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 16.08.2011, 12:26
MathNut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kt. Glarus
Posts: 4,417
Groaned at 34 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 10,952 Times in 3,253 Posts
MathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: TLC for IKEA delivery men?

Quote:
View Post
The only room they won't be working in is the kitchen. The kitchen is packed with stuff from all the other empty rooms so I can't disappear there. So my question is what do I do when they assemble all the items? Do I stand and observe them or help them?
Ask them if you can help. They will say no. Then curl up on a chair (or a pile of cardboard boxes) and read a book so that you aren't hovering.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank MathNut for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 16.08.2011, 12:29
KeinFranzösisch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,198
Groaned at 63 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,115 Posts
KeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: TLC for IKEA delivery men?

Quote:
View Post
As I have explained twice, if you tip early enough you benefit from super service.

The workers are employed at a wage of around SFr 23 per hour. You have just ordered CHF 1,000 of installation work and you don't want to give another Fr 40,-- ?
No, I wouldn't. There's no logical reason for it. Just because their hourly wage is less than yours or mine? That doesn't hardly obligate a tip.

I also oppose tipping before work is completed. Tipping should be a reward for good service if you're going to do it, not a bribe to perform good service.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank KeinFranzösisch for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 16.08.2011, 12:35
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 9,131
Groaned at 170 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 25,643 Times in 6,892 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: TLC for IKEA delivery men?

Quote:
View Post
When I stay for a week in a cheap hotel I always tip the room cleaner on the first morning about SFr 20,-- then I enjoy absolute top cleaning with fresh towels every day. If you tip on the last day they cannot show their appreciation.
In other words, you're not actually tipping for work done but paying for extra service.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank adrianlondon for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 16.08.2011, 13:07
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 10,653
Groaned at 280 Times in 231 Posts
Thanked 19,403 Times in 7,402 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: TLC for IKEA delivery men?

It is the main difference between the US and here. In the US tipping is a key part on ensuring good service - simply because without it the wages are too low. Here the wages are higher - ensuring that an acceptable standard of living is possible even on a minium wage.

Both systems have their downsides - the former is dependent on a steady and reliable amount of trade - the latter fails to encourage higher levels of service.

If I was having someone round to do work - and I was there - I'd sort them out with drinks - but not much else. I wouldn't tip.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 16.08.2011, 13:10
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,191
Groaned at 11 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,781 Times in 704 Posts
ceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond repute
Re: TLC for IKEA delivery men?

Quote:
View Post
Ask them if you can help. They will say no. Then curl up on a chair (or a pile of cardboard boxes) and read a book so that you aren't hovering.
Or hoovering
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 16.08.2011, 13:13
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy Wellies
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 8,727
Groaned at 53 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 9,936 Times in 3,651 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: TLC for IKEA delivery men?

Just wear something skimpy. It's always appreciated...


E.T.A. - Oops. Just noticed the "Mrs says". Get her to wear the skimpies
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank mirfield for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 16.08.2011, 17:54
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: TLC for IKEA delivery men?

Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 17.08.2011, 09:25
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 209
Groaned at 26 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 171 Times in 67 Posts
sun&rain is considered knowledgeablesun&rain is considered knowledgeablesun&rain is considered knowledgeable
Re: TLC for IKEA delivery men?

Only two of them bringing all the stuff up They are breathing very heavily. I feel really sorry for them. They are not even huge.

Quote:
View Post
Ask them if you can help. They will say no. Then curl up on a chair (or a pile of cardboard boxes) and read a book so that you aren't hovering.
I just did that Instead of reading a book I came to the forum to look all busy on the laptop

They have freshly baked gipfeli, coffee, chocolate muffin, Zwiffel crisp waiting for them and they know it. They said they will take a break and eat after they bring everything up. Not sure if another set of people will come in a bit to assemble or same people will do it? Need to spread the food but these guys will get most of the food as they are doing the hardest work.

Also Swiss speciality cold Rivella and ice tea ready to go for them. Am I being too gay? I just can't ignore their hard work.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank sun&rain for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ikea delivery or warentaxi? owls_79 Housing in general 26 28.06.2013 14:15
Lousy IKEA delivery Fei Complaints corner 25 19.04.2011 09:38
IKEA delivery times seyon Housing in general 0 11.02.2011 16:32
TLC Sprachschule (Language School)/Delta CH sajacas Language corner 0 24.06.2009 21:17


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:02.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0