Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 23.08.2011, 19:17
cog's Avatar
cog cog is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Currently in Haiti
Posts: 136
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 27 Times in 15 Posts
cog has earned some respectcog has earned some respect
why live in switzerland?

hi!
i've been stalking the forum for sometime now and i've been searching for jobs in switzerland for a few months. i just noticed that it's not very easy to get in switzerland and get settled.

but my question is (especially to those who lived there for a long time) is life there worth the difficulty to get into switzerland?
or should i look in other places in europe?

i'm head graphic designer of a marketing communications agency.
i just want to live where it's safe, organized and close to nature. i'm single 26 years old.

please share your thoughts, experiences and daily life. i'm aching for a new country and i'm very ready for change. i'm currently in haiti.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank cog for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 23.08.2011, 19:20
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: why live in switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
i'm currently in haiti.
it's better than Haiti.
Reply With Quote
The following 15 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 23.08.2011, 19:23
cog's Avatar
cog cog is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Currently in Haiti
Posts: 136
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 27 Times in 15 Posts
cog has earned some respectcog has earned some respect
Re: why live in switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
it's better than Haiti.
i'm living a very good life here though, enjoying. i just want a new country to live in.

but true. anything else is better than haiti.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 23.08.2011, 19:24
grumpygrapefruit's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 6,401
Groaned at 38 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 17,662 Times in 4,517 Posts
grumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: why live in switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
it's better than Haiti.
But I've heard they do at least have brown sugar in Haiti. But, most importantly, could I live comfortably in Haiti on 155,000.00 Haitian Gourde?
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank grumpygrapefruit for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 23.08.2011, 19:26
kevlegs's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Far far away
Posts: 2,178
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 1,324 Times in 700 Posts
kevlegs has a reputation beyond reputekevlegs has a reputation beyond reputekevlegs has a reputation beyond reputekevlegs has a reputation beyond reputekevlegs has a reputation beyond reputekevlegs has a reputation beyond repute
Re: why live in switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
But I've heard they do at least have brown sugar in Haiti. But, most importantly, could I live comfortably in Haiti on 155,000.00 Haitian Gourde?
Is that for just you?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank kevlegs for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 23.08.2011, 19:56
darwiniandemon's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Live in BE, Work in FR
Posts: 276
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 169 Times in 100 Posts
darwiniandemon has earned the respect of manydarwiniandemon has earned the respect of manydarwiniandemon has earned the respect of many
Re: why live in switzerland?

Why switzerland specifically? US & Canada are in the neighborhood and are also good places to work and live.

North America and UK are the places to be for marketing.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank darwiniandemon for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 24.08.2011, 08:51
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: why live in switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
Why switzerland specifically? US & Canada are in the neighborhood and are also good places to work and live.

North America and UK are the places to be for marketing.
I think that depends on the person, there is no way I would move to either the US or the UK. Not because I find them bad places to live, but I do not want to bring up my children there, just as much as I do not want to bring them up back home in Peru.
Plus in the kind of job that I do, I would be a slave in the US, only two week holidays, nah...I am fine in CH thank you
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 23.08.2011, 20:05
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: why live in switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
But, most importantly, could I live comfortably in Haiti on 155,000.00 Haitian Gourde?
Is that per week or per month?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 23.08.2011, 20:10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Nordwestschweiz
Posts: 289
Groaned at 6 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 265 Times in 118 Posts
IronAngle is considered knowledgeableIronAngle is considered knowledgeableIronAngle is considered knowledgeable
Re: why live in switzerland?

Quote:
i just want to live where it's safe, organized and close to nature.
^that's why!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank IronAngle for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 23.08.2011, 20:33
darwiniandemon's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Live in BE, Work in FR
Posts: 276
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 169 Times in 100 Posts
darwiniandemon has earned the respect of manydarwiniandemon has earned the respect of manydarwiniandemon has earned the respect of many
Re: why live in switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
^that's why!
Canada's got all that plus a lot more nature!

I grew up in Canada and I would say that CH and CA are are both great places to live and work. I was just curious why the op is targeting switzerland specifically. Canada's immigration policy is definitely easier than Switzerland's.
A safe, organized, and close to nature environment isn't going to cut it if there is no income. I would say his marketing skills are probably more valuable in securing something in CA than CH.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank darwiniandemon for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 24.08.2011, 17:00
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Wettingen
Posts: 43
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 23 Times in 14 Posts
mrstarks has become a little unpopularmrstarks has become a little unpopular
Re: why live in switzerland?

@OP, I doubt you will have as much excitement here in Switzerland as you have in Haiti. I have lived in Bangalore, Lagos, London and when it comes to a nice social life, i.e. having fun, going to actually good parties, etc, then Switzerland is extremely lame. Like the amount of fun I had in India, Nigeria, Ghana, United Kingdom, cannot even compare to the downsize in fun you will experience in Switzerland. I regularly escape to London for the weekend to actually party properly.
You only have to go through the thread to realise the problems some EFs face until you learn the language and all the stuff. Just go through the threads on blending properly into the Swiss society.

BUT, and this is what makes me happy here in Switzerland, if you want a certain degree of order, and you want to start a family, you will find Switzerland brilliant. Transport is always on time, the country is usually clean (depending on where you live obviously) but in general well kept. I'd say crime rates are low, and if you are outdoorsy person, then you will be in heaven. OH, did i mention the salary and low taxes - which I have to admit is probably the biggest thing keeping me here

Given your reasons, then I would say Switzerland. Given you occupation, I would say London but then you sacrifice the outdoors but I daresay you will be motivated more jobwise in London. Creative wise, i personally find Switzerland a bit bland, but that's just me.
I have a similar profile to you, currently involved in finance (9-5) but heavily involved in the creative and entertainment business on the side. Funny enough a few of creatives I have met here usually ask the same question, "why leave London for Switzerland?"
That is just my take really. Goodluck with your decision
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank mrstarks for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 24.08.2011, 17:05
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Work in ZH, live in SZ
Posts: 12,409
Groaned at 365 Times in 295 Posts
Thanked 23,807 Times in 8,613 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: why live in switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
@OP, I doubt you will have as much excitement here in Switzerland as you have in Haiti. I have lived in Bangalore, Lagos, London and when it comes to a nice social life, i.e. having fun, going to actually good parties, etc, then Switzerland is extremely lame. Like the amount of fun I had in India, Nigeria, Ghana, United Kingdom, cannot even compare to the downsize in fun you will experience in Switzerland. I regularly escape to London for the weekend to actually party properly.
Honestly: You are living in Wettingen. That's the dullest place of them all except of Olten. You'd probably had more fun in a different spot in Switzerland as well and comparing life in Wettingen with London is just stupid.

Compare Wettingen to Guilford. (And Wettingen is actually only one third of the size of Guilford...) Where do you have more fun?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 24.08.2011, 17:12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Wettingen
Posts: 43
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 23 Times in 14 Posts
mrstarks has become a little unpopularmrstarks has become a little unpopular
Re: why live in switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
Honestly: You are living in Wettingen. That's the dullest place of them all except of Olten. You'd probably had more fun in a different spot in Switzerland as well and comparing life in Wettingen with London is just stupid.

Compare Wettingen to Guilford. (And Wettingen is actually only one third of the size of Guilford...) Where do you have more fun?
Hahah, I actually like Wettingen. But to be honest, I only sleep there. I am usually in Zurich especially over the weekend. That is where I get my fun. Which again is not as much as the fun you would get in Shoreditch but still for what it is, it makes do especially for creatives.
Wettingen is definitely boring but it works to wind down on Sunday and for working. And it has great outdoors. You can find me on the riverside on Sundays staring at the river for ages
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 24.08.2011, 17:16
cog's Avatar
cog cog is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Currently in Haiti
Posts: 136
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 27 Times in 15 Posts
cog has earned some respectcog has earned some respect
Re: why live in switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
Wettingen is definitely boring but it works to wind down on Sunday and for working. And it has great outdoors. You can find me on the riverside on Sundays staring at the river for ages
sounds nice! outdoors are always nice places to unwind, especially after spending the whole week inside the office.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 24.08.2011, 17:10
cog's Avatar
cog cog is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Currently in Haiti
Posts: 136
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 27 Times in 15 Posts
cog has earned some respectcog has earned some respect
Re: why live in switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
@OP, I doubt you will have as much excitement here in Switzerland as you have in Haiti. I have lived in Bangalore, Lagos, London and when it comes to a nice social life, i.e. having fun, going to actually good parties, etc, then Switzerland is extremely lame. Like the amount of fun I had in India, Nigeria, Ghana, United Kingdom, cannot even compare to the downsize in fun you will experience in Switzerland. I regularly escape to London for the weekend to actually party properly.
You only have to go through the thread to realise the problems some EFs face until you learn the language and all the stuff. Just go through the threads on blending properly into the Swiss society.
i agree. and i'm actually having a blast here in haiti. thriving social life. good stable job. a good place in the society. travel, mainly in this part of the world. nice beaches etc. but...

Quote:
View Post
BUT, and this is what makes me happy here in Switzerland, if you want a certain degree of order, and you want to start a family, you will find Switzerland brilliant. Transport is always on time, the country is usually clean (depending on where you live obviously) but in general well kept. I'd say crime rates are low, and if you are outdoorsy person, then you will be in heaven. OH, did i mention the salary and low taxes - which I have to admit is probably the biggest thing keeping me here
...i suddenly realized that i can't live the life of the party forever. i don't want to raise my children here. i want to start thinking of settling down.

Quote:
View Post
Given your reasons, then I would say Switzerland. Given you occupation, I would say London but then you sacrifice the outdoors but I daresay you will be motivated more jobwise in London. Creative wise, i personally find Switzerland a bit bland, but that's just me.
I have a similar profile to you, currently involved in finance (9-5) but heavily involved in the creative and entertainment business on the side. Funny enough a few of creatives I have met here usually ask the same question, "why leave London for Switzerland?"
That is just my take really. Goodluck with your decision
may i ask, what creative thing do you do? i'm fine with doing boring layout and stuff like that. i usually do my creative design outside work.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 23.08.2011, 20:58
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Basel
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Adrianne has no particular reputation at present
Re: why live in switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
hi!
i've been stalking the forum for sometime now and i've been searching for jobs in switzerland for a few months. i just noticed that it's not very easy to get in switzerland and get settled.

but my question is (especially to those who lived there for a long time) is life there worth the difficulty to get into switzerland?
or should i look in other places in europe?

i'm head graphic designer of a marketing communications agency.
i just want to live where it's safe, organized and close to nature. i'm single 26 years old.

please share your thoughts, experiences and daily life. i'm aching for a new country and i'm very ready for change. i'm currently in haiti.


You want safe, organized and close to nature.... THAT'S SWITZERLAND! I love it here. Love the nature, the food, the culture, the proximity to other places in europe, the beautiful towns (i live in Basel), the parks, forests, ... I could go on for ages. The people are polite, everything works very well, it's so clean and tidy but also pretty and rustic. It's great!
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Adrianne for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 23.08.2011, 21:09
tigris330's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Close to Zurich
Posts: 154
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 122 Times in 56 Posts
tigris330 has earned the respect of manytigris330 has earned the respect of manytigris330 has earned the respect of many
Re: why live in switzerland?

My personal answer to your question is no, but I have several reasons which are specific to my character and might not bother anyone else. I've been here for two years and it has never felt like home. You will see that both opinions are common - yes I love it, no I dislike it - so your best bet is to read what goes on here and decide what would annoy you/not make the move worth it etc. There are some things people whine about on here which I don't mind.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank tigris330 for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 24.08.2011, 01:50
cog's Avatar
cog cog is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Currently in Haiti
Posts: 136
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 27 Times in 15 Posts
cog has earned some respectcog has earned some respect
Re: why live in switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
My personal answer to your question is no, but I have several reasons which are specific to my character and might not bother anyone else. I've been here for two years and it has never felt like home. You will see that both opinions are common - yes I love it, no I dislike it - so your best bet is to read what goes on here and decide what would annoy you/not make the move worth it etc. There are some things people whine about on here which I don't mind.
and what are those specific reasons? i'm curious, if you say no but still stay there, what could be those specific reasons?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 24.08.2011, 04:18
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,971
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: why live in switzerland?

As much as I love Switzerland, to be honest, if I were 26 and single, Switzerland would be the last place I'd be looking at. Not to mention the fact that the types of jobs you are looking for are not that abundant in Switzerland.

Despite Dougal's protests, I think Canada is a really good bet.
Reply With Quote
The following 9 users would like to thank miniMia for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 24.08.2011, 07:35
mimi1981's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: London, previously Basel
Posts: 3,773
Groaned at 21 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,173 Posts
mimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: why live in switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
As much as I love Switzerland, to be honest, if I were 26 and single, Switzerland would be the last place I'd be looking at. Not to mention the fact that the types of jobs you are looking for are not that abundant in Switzerland.

Despite Dougal's protests, I think Canada is a really good bet.

I was 24 and single when I moved over and I loved every minute. Only now, 5 and a half years later, am I growing somewhat tired of it and miss my home. I think that's mainly to do with having my daughter now and also missing my family way too much

Switzerland is just too hard to balance work and family life and I just feel I am missing too much of my little one growing up.

Saying that, we have just signed a new lease on a place that keeps us here for at least a few more years so we're obviously not that fed up yet
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank mimi1981 for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why so many erotic stores in Switzerland? jacksprat Daily life 190 25.09.2014 15:33
Why no funerals in Switzerland? gbn Other/general 51 13.01.2014 17:06
Why live in Geneva? Bertrand - Geneva Daily life 5 25.11.2010 17:49
Why come to CH when you already live in Australia? Time Bandit International affairs/politics 41 26.09.2009 15:34
Why does an American move to and live in switzerland? chicagowaxy Daily life 342 28.05.2008 17:29


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0