Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05.10.2011, 02:27
darkhorsedrea's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Uster
Posts: 800
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 747 Times in 290 Posts
darkhorsedrea has a reputation beyond reputedarkhorsedrea has a reputation beyond reputedarkhorsedrea has a reputation beyond reputedarkhorsedrea has a reputation beyond repute
Love CH but looking to buy a house in the UK

Despite being here only 6 months and loving every minute of it, we are looking at houses in the UK to settle down and hopefully start a family.

My OH is Swiss but would prefer to start a family and settle in UK. I would love to stay here but the cost of housing, lack of job ops and the thick ice to break with the locals is making it hard. I love the scenery and general order of Switzerland and find it hard to go back to the UK and see sonera dirty places.

Looks like CH will become our holiday destination instead......:-(

Anyone else feel like this?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
__________________
The best way to save water is to bathe together
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05.10.2011, 08:27
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,750
Groaned at 284 Times in 189 Posts
Thanked 18,639 Times in 7,827 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Love CH but looking to buy a house in the UK

i would have thought jobs are even more scarce in the uk. houses are expensive here, but with better tenant laws, renting is an option.

i am ok with socialising mainly with locals. ymmv.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 05.10.2011, 08:53
darkhorsedrea's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Uster
Posts: 800
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 747 Times in 290 Posts
darkhorsedrea has a reputation beyond reputedarkhorsedrea has a reputation beyond reputedarkhorsedrea has a reputation beyond reputedarkhorsedrea has a reputation beyond repute
My job hunt here has always been they same. Not enough German to do the job. I m going to college and studying most days but as with most things it takes time.

The potential move back to the UK considers a number of other things English speaking schools for children, friends and families and housing/space.

Where I live, Pffaefikon, it seems people are much less friendly initially.


Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05.10.2011, 09:39
Hedgehog of death's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brighton
Posts: 790
Groaned at 43 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 543 Times in 249 Posts
Hedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Love CH but looking to buy a house in the UK

Sent you a PM
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05.10.2011, 09:41
darkhorsedrea's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Uster
Posts: 800
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 747 Times in 290 Posts
darkhorsedrea has a reputation beyond reputedarkhorsedrea has a reputation beyond reputedarkhorsedrea has a reputation beyond reputedarkhorsedrea has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Love CH but looking to buy a house in the UK

Quote:
View Post
Sent you a PM
Sorry had this issue before...not received the PM. Would you mind resending ?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05.10.2011, 09:46
The_Love_Doctor's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zugerberg, Zug
Posts: 3,266
Groaned at 72 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 3,715 Times in 1,747 Posts
The_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Love CH but looking to buy a house in the UK

Quote:
View Post

Anyone else feel like this?
You're not the only one if that's any help...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05.10.2011, 09:51
Hedgehog of death's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brighton
Posts: 790
Groaned at 43 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 543 Times in 249 Posts
Hedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Love CH but looking to buy a house in the UK

Quote:
View Post
Sorry had this issue before...not received the PM. Would you mind resending ?
I've just sent it ... be patient, young jedi!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Hedgehog of death for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 05.10.2011, 09:54
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Love CH but looking to buy a house in the UK

Quote:
View Post
Despite being here only 6 months and loving every minute of it, we are looking at houses in the UK to settle down and hopefully start a family.

My OH is Swiss but would prefer to start a family and settle in UK. I would love to stay here but the cost of housing, lack of job ops and the thick ice to break with the locals is making it hard. I love the scenery and general order of Switzerland and find it hard to go back to the UK and see sonera dirty places.

Looks like CH will become our holiday destination instead......:-(

Anyone else feel like this?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Bad time to return to the UK, jobs will be very hard to come by unless you have one lined up. I know as I tried last year after coming back from the Netherlands.

Standard of living is dropping for the majority of people + the housing market is unstable. You will have a lot less money in your pocket.

I'm not saying don't do it but I would seriously consider waiting it out for a couple of years to see what happens.

The UK with its huge reliance on finance will be down the toilet in the next year and it will take many years to recover.

Why on earth would you make the move now???

Stick with it it's a 6 month wobble, it happens in a years time you'll have settled more and find it easier to get around/integrate.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 05.10.2011, 09:57
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,082
Groaned at 484 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Love CH but looking to buy a house in the UK

of all the things to move back to the uk for, schools wouldn't be on the list at all!! our son had a couple of years in UK schools and we're b****y glad he isn't in them anymore.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank bigblue2 for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 05.10.2011, 10:00
Hedgehog of death's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brighton
Posts: 790
Groaned at 43 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 543 Times in 249 Posts
Hedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Love CH but looking to buy a house in the UK

Quote:
View Post
of all the things to move back to the uk for, schools wouldn't be on the list at all!! our son had a couple of years in UK schools and we're b****y glad he isn't in them anymore.
I think that depends on the schools , doesn't it?
I would agree that it wouldn't be the first thing on my list for relocation - but there are good ones. there are bad ones

From my fellow swiss co-workers , I'm not sure that the swiss system shines ....
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Hedgehog of death for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 05.10.2011, 10:02
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Love CH but looking to buy a house in the UK

Quote:
View Post
I think that depends on the schools , doesn't it?
I would agree that it wouldn't be the first thing on my list for relocation - but there are good ones. there are bad ones

From my fellow swiss co-workers , I'm not sure that the swiss system shines ....
Aye it does, my guess 90% are crap which gives you a 1 in 10 chance of getting a decent education for your kids. Well unless you're willing to pay for it.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05.10.2011, 10:02
Hedgehog of death's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brighton
Posts: 790
Groaned at 43 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 543 Times in 249 Posts
Hedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Love CH but looking to buy a house in the UK

Quote:
View Post
Bad time to return to the UK, jobs will be very hard to come by unless you have one lined up. I know as I tried last year after coming back from the Netherlands.

Standard of living is dropping for the majority of people + the housing market is unstable. You will have a lot less money in your pocket.

I'm not saying don't do it but I would seriously consider waiting it out for a couple of years to see what happens.

The UK with its huge reliance on finance will be down the toilet in the next year and it will take many years to recover.

Why on earth would you make the move now???

Stick with it it's a 6 month wobble, it happens in a years time you'll have settled more and find it easier to get around/integrate.
The swiss system is about to go bang too - the CHF is way to high in ROE. The good times for expats in the Pharma and finance industries are going to change radically.

I know everyone is sitting here, smug at how much their cash buys, but in the next 6 months wait and see how many jobs get burnt. It is now very expensive to employ in CH ...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Hedgehog of death for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 05.10.2011, 10:03
Hedgehog of death's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brighton
Posts: 790
Groaned at 43 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 543 Times in 249 Posts
Hedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Love CH but looking to buy a house in the UK

Quote:
View Post
Aye it does, my guess 90% are crap which gives you a 1 in 10 chance of getting a decent education for your kids. Well unless you're willing to pay for it.
If you say so ....
And you knowledge is based on what?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05.10.2011, 10:04
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,082
Groaned at 484 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Love CH but looking to buy a house in the UK

Quote:
View Post
I think that depends on the schools , doesn't it?
I would agree that it wouldn't be the first thing on my list for relocation - but there are good ones. there are bad ones

From my fellow swiss co-workers , I'm not sure that the swiss system shines ....

try and buy a house anywhere near a good school in the uk
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank bigblue2 for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 05.10.2011, 10:06
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Love CH but looking to buy a house in the UK

Quote:
View Post
If you say so ....
And you knowledge is based on what?
I went through the UK schooling system.

Personal friends in the UK who teach all over the country, London, Worcs, South Wales and Cornwall. Admittedly there's variance, but then again you can only do so much with a school full of chavs.

And yours?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05.10.2011, 10:07
Hedgehog of death's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brighton
Posts: 790
Groaned at 43 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 543 Times in 249 Posts
Hedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Love CH but looking to buy a house in the UK

Quote:
View Post
try and buy a house anywhere near a good school in the uk
Yes you will pay a premium .....
Try buying a house in CH

Lets not turn this into a "bash the UK" thread again ... for some CH works, for some it doesn't.

Both the UK and CH are far from Nirvana - it just depends on what your needs are
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Hedgehog of death for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 05.10.2011, 10:07
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Love CH but looking to buy a house in the UK

Quote:
View Post

Lets not turn this into a "bash the UK" thread again ...
Why not?

It's a shithole.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 05.10.2011, 10:07
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Love CH but looking to buy a house in the UK

Quote:
View Post
The swiss system is about to go bang too - the CHF is way to high in ROE. The good times for expats in the Pharma and finance industries are going to change radically.

I know everyone is sitting here, smug at how much their cash buys, but in the next 6 months wait and see how many jobs get burnt. It is now very expensive to employ in CH ...
Aye you'll get 6 months off before it all goes tits up. I'd rather be facing this in CH than the UK.

Erm luckily I don't work in Pharma or finance. I reclaimed my soul a long time ago.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05.10.2011, 10:08
Hedgehog of death's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brighton
Posts: 790
Groaned at 43 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 543 Times in 249 Posts
Hedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Love CH but looking to buy a house in the UK

Quote:
View Post
I went through the UK schooling system.

Personal friends in the UK who teach all over the country, London, Worcs, South Wales and Cornwall. Admittedly there's variance, but then again you can only do so much with a school full of chavs.

And yours?
So did I ...
Sister, Mum, S-I-L, niece, other niece, several friends are all teachers ....
The issue isn't the schools - the issue is the parenting ....
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Hedgehog of death for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 05.10.2011, 10:09
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 8,524
Groaned at 364 Times in 251 Posts
Thanked 12,739 Times in 4,345 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Love CH but looking to buy a house in the UK

Quote:
View Post
The swiss system is about to go bang too - the CHF is way to high in ROE. The good times for expats in the Pharma and finance industries are going to change radically.

I know everyone is sitting here, smug at how much their cash buys, but in the next 6 months wait and see how many jobs get burnt. It is now very expensive to employ in CH ...
I have lost count of how many times I have heard that Switzerland was just about to go down the pan over the last 30 years from the Swiss and about every media pundit.

Meanwhile Britain has boasted how it lead the world in this, that and the other over the same period.

I would say a move to the UK was a step backwards. If the OP is young enough to master German and Swiss German, he should stick it out. 2 years should be a minimum period to decide...
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank AbFab for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving to the UK, want to buy a UK car in CH ? Simply_D General off-topic 2 28.03.2011 22:10
Where to buy men's underwear, UK or CH? [Another taking the p!ss thread] Treverus Jokes/funnies 8 05.03.2010 00:09
EU planning to retire in CH but looking to buy whilst still working in UK Sparky Permits/visas/government 19 09.09.2008 11:50
[Zurich] Love the tea house...but are there any cheaper similar options? jazzlady79 Entertainment & dining 10 23.01.2008 15:56


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0