Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 05.10.2011, 21:05
jerallie's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Goldiwil
Posts: 615
Groaned at 53 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 523 Times in 179 Posts
jerallie has a reputation beyond reputejerallie has a reputation beyond reputejerallie has a reputation beyond reputejerallie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Post Fees (Rant and clarification)

Okay...I have seen the word twice now. ADMIN FEE. What the hell is the admin fee. Isn't shipping taken care of at the point of departure? This is where I feel like a complete idiot. I have many friends that have sent me stuff from many other countries in the years i lived in the US and I never paid a red cent to receive anything. This is the first place I have ever paid to pick up a package. When I buy something that says shipping costs are X Dollars, that has always covered the everything. I have always thought the United States Postal Service was one of the worst services around, but I miss it now since I never paid a F%^%ing admin fee just to get a box.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05.10.2011, 21:07
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Post Fees (Rant and clarification)

Quote:
View Post
Okay...I have seen the word twice now. ADMIN FEE. What the hell is the admin fee. Isn't shipping taken care of at the point of departure? This is where I feel like a complete idiot. I have many friends that have sent me stuff from many other countries in the years i lived in the US and I never paid a red cent to receive anything. This is the first place I have ever paid to pick up a package. When I buy something that says shipping costs are X Dollars, that has always covered the everything. I have always thought the United States Postal Service was one of the worst services around, but I miss it now since I never paid a F%^%ing admin fee just to get a box.
Admin for clearing customs. The reason why people are well paid in CH is the market is protected, you can't import what you want, it works both ways.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05.10.2011, 21:36
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,499
Groaned at 2,578 Times in 1,840 Posts
Thanked 39,639 Times in 18,682 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Post Fees (Rant and clarification)

Quote:
View Post
My folks spent nearly 80 USD on the shipping cost to send it here.
So, as you are above the magic CHF 62 threshold (barely), you pay CHF 18 handling, plus CHF 6 tax, just on the postage.

Perhaps they decided the value of the contents wasn't the declared CHF 0, which is why one should never do that.

In the future, declare a reasonable value and claim as 'gift'.

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 05.10.2011, 22:02
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sarahc has no particular reputation at present
Re: Swiss Post Fees (Rant and clarification)

I feel your pain. I recently ordered a sweater from the UK in the sales. Sale price GBP45, pre-sale price GBP115. The vendor declared the value as GBP45 on the pro-forma invoice and the customs label, but left the original garment tag on - and with it the GBP115 price. Guess which one Swiss customs and DHL went for? Have now been stiffed for huge amounts of duty, TVA and, of course, admin charges - effectively doubling the price of the sweater. NEVER get things delivered here - go on a wild shopping spree whenever you go home instead!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05.10.2011, 23:28
piazza's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Küsnacht ZH
Posts: 449
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 271 Times in 128 Posts
piazza has made some interesting contributions
Re: Swiss Post Fees (Rant and clarification)

yeah they dont give a crap about 2nd hand goods here - they'll just charge you for it. If you complain and want them to re-asses the goods, they have a fee which is about equal to what you're contesting anyway.

I went to germany (right up north of germany) to visit some friends and accidentally left my glasses there. I asked them to send it back to me. Now these glasses were bought in Switzerland, paid for here and paid all the VAT for them here. When they sent them they didnt want them to get damaged or lost so they insured it for 200CHF, just to be safe.

So when they arrived they charged me the standard 18chf plus the VAT. when I provided them with the proof that I purchased it here, they said they can re-asses (by sending my receipt to customs) but that this would cost 30chf anyway.

No mercy with these guys, trust me.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06.10.2011, 08:29
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lenk im Simmental
Posts: 1,123
Groaned at 95 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 750 Times in 404 Posts
Keith66 has earned the respect of manyKeith66 has earned the respect of manyKeith66 has earned the respect of many
Re: Swiss Post Fees (Rant and clarification)

When I came to Switzerland 4 years ago, I had eight boxes of clothes, books, hosehold goods etc sent from the UK and on their arrival received no bill at all, just the goods. It must have been my lucky day!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06.10.2011, 18:17
jerallie's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Goldiwil
Posts: 615
Groaned at 53 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 523 Times in 179 Posts
jerallie has a reputation beyond reputejerallie has a reputation beyond reputejerallie has a reputation beyond reputejerallie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Post Fees (Rant and clarification)

Believe me that I totally understand charging import duty to prevent you from buying new items outside Switzerland. It makes sense and although frustrating, I get it. What I don't get is the fee imposed on things that are old and are not being "bought" outside of CH. Two weeks ago I had a former teacher friend send me a bunch of English education posters I left behind. These are items that cannot be bought here and some of them are 5 years old. He put down the value at $30 USD and paid $60 to send them. I got hit with 32 chf handling and admin fee. This is what pisses me off. This is clearly not an issue of "keeping business in Switzerland," it was just to screw me. I think Die Post is taking its cues from the US airline industry and charging for every finger lifted.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07.10.2011, 10:07
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,946
Groaned at 100 Times in 89 Posts
Thanked 19,855 Times in 8,800 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Post Fees (Rant and clarification)

Quote:
View Post
I went to germany (right up north of germany) to visit some friends and accidentally left my glasses there. I asked them to send it back to me. Now these glasses were bought in Switzerland, paid for here and paid all the VAT for them here. When they sent them they didnt want them to get damaged or lost so they insured it for 200CHF, just to be safe.

So when they arrived they charged me the standard 18chf plus the VAT. when I provided them with the proof that I purchased it here, they said they can re-asses (by sending my receipt to customs) but that this would cost 30chf anyway.
Next time let you friend clearly label the package that it contains left behind goods according to Art. 63 Abs.2 of 631.01 Zollverordnung. Try to attach a fright bill (three copies are mostly needed) where it states that the receiver is th owner of the goods, the package contains left behind goods that where originally exported from Switzerland.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07.10.2011, 11:14
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,792
Groaned at 610 Times in 516 Posts
Thanked 21,708 Times in 11,396 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Post Fees (Rant and clarification)

Quote:
View Post
Next time let you friend clearly label the package that it contains left behind goods according to Art. 63 Abs.2 of 631.01 Zollverordnung. Try to attach a fright bill (three copies are mostly needed) where it states that the receiver is th owner of the goods, the package contains left behind goods that where originally exported from Switzerland.
About "Try to attach a fright bill..." - most bills here frighten me
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 07.10.2011, 15:12
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: la cote
Posts: 3,662
Groaned at 23 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 3,312 Times in 1,742 Posts
runningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Post Fees (Rant and clarification)

Quote:
View Post
WHAT THE HELL AM I PAYING A CHARGE FOR? I JUST DON'T GET IT. If I were to take the exact same box of winter clothes, go to Die Post and spend money to ship it back to my parents, it would cost me about the same as it did for my folks to send it here. THE DIFFERENCE IS THAT MY PARENTS WOULD NOT OWE ANYTHING TO THE USPS WHEN IT ARRIVED. .... SO IT COSTS MORE TO SHIP TO CH THAN OTHER COUNTRIES AND THEN YOU HAVE TO PAY TO RECEIVE THEM.
Quote:
View Post
Is this a Europe thing or is it a Swiss thing? If I sent the same box of clothes to a address in France, would they have to pay 42 euros to receive it?
Quote:
View Post
Okay...I have seen the word twice now. ADMIN FEE. What the hell is the admin fee. Isn't shipping taken care of at the point of departure?
First, this is Switzerland, not the US, so different fees and taxes apply.

Most of what you are asking about can be found here, even in English.
http://www.post.ch/en/post-startseit...ernational.htm

When importing something into Switzerland (keep in mind Switzerland is a sovern country with own customs clearance and is not a member of the EU customs union)there are 3 basic fees that are generally applicable -- customs duties, VAT (charged at the border via customs), and customs processing fee. This is no different than what most countries in the world do, although some have a different form of internal taxation and may not charge the VAT or similar internal tax at the border. The customs fee, it has different names in different countries is the charge they apply for using their services to process the imported goods through customs. This is generally the import declaration paperwork, x-ray scanning, possible physical inspection, calculation of assessment of duty and/or VAT, etc.. In CH, this customs fee is charged on all unaccompanied shipments either by the fee of Die Post or a private express courrier. Used good are still goods and are thus still subject to the fees, albeit likely at lower fees due to their lower customs value. Had you included used clothing as part of your move here and included as personal effects, likely no fees would be applicable, but this was not the case. Thresholds for duty and VAT on gifts are also a different issue. See link above for details.

In case you are wondering, yes, the US also charges a customs processing fee by the USPS. See here, page 49. http://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals/.../Notice123.pdf The US generally does not have VAT, so unless individual states apply sales tax you do not have this charge. Additionally US values on f.o.b. not c.i.f. value like most other countries so fees on transport costs are not included. Otherwise US fees and charges are similar to CH, although you will likely find the fees higher in CH, like most things here.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank runningdeer for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 07.10.2011, 15:51
kiwiguy08's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,381
Groaned at 61 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 1,191 Times in 606 Posts
kiwiguy08 has an excellent reputationkiwiguy08 has an excellent reputationkiwiguy08 has an excellent reputationkiwiguy08 has an excellent reputation
Re: Swiss Post Fees (Rant and clarification)

Quote:
View Post
First, this is Switzerland, not the US, so different fees and taxes apply.

Most of what you are asking about can be found here, even in English.
http://www.post.ch/en/post-startseit...ernational.htm

When importing something into Switzerland (keep in mind Switzerland is a sovern country with own customs clearance and is not a member of the EU customs union)there are 3 basic fees that are generally applicable -- customs duties, VAT (charged at the border via customs), and customs processing fee. This is no different than what most countries in the world do, although some have a different form of internal taxation and may not charge the VAT or similar internal tax at the border. The customs fee, it has different names in different countries is the charge they apply for using their services to process the imported goods through customs. This is generally the import declaration paperwork, x-ray scanning, possible physical inspection, calculation of assessment of duty and/or VAT, etc.. In CH, this customs fee is charged on all unaccompanied shipments either by the fee of Die Post or a private express courrier. Used good are still goods and are thus still subject to the fees, albeit likely at lower fees due to their lower customs value. Had you included used clothing as part of your move here and included as personal effects, likely no fees would be applicable, but this was not the case. Thresholds for duty and VAT on gifts are also a different issue. See link above for details.

In case you are wondering, yes, the US also charges a customs processing fee by the USPS. See here, page 49. http://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals/.../Notice123.pdf The US generally does not have VAT, so unless individual states apply sales tax you do not have this charge. Additionally US values on f.o.b. not c.i.f. value like most other countries so fees on transport costs are not included. Otherwise US fees and charges are similar to CH, although you will likely find the fees higher in CH, like most things here.
It really is IMO a result of not stating used items on the box when you sent it. 2 years ago I sent three boxes of items in various degrees of use. (some used clothes with various new things and food stuff sprinkled in) I just put "used" on the boxes and was not charged anything, not even a handling fee.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swiss cabin luggage rant ADH Complaints corner 35 13.08.2012 13:02
Swiss airline ticket price rant - it's illogical AbFab Complaints corner 23 13.07.2012 08:00
Swiss credit card - tired of paying international fees monigue Finance/banking/taxation 31 24.05.2011 20:49
Help to avoid currency conversion fees and ATM fees Petrosian Finance/banking/taxation 1 21.05.2011 16:50
Clarification on changes with Swiss B-EC permit kyo Permits/visas/government 20 12.10.2007 15:43


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0