Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 25.11.2011, 12:07
prof. taratonga's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Zürich & Bignasco
Posts: 2,310
Groaned at 27 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 4,546 Times in 1,441 Posts
prof. taratonga has a reputation beyond reputeprof. taratonga has a reputation beyond reputeprof. taratonga has a reputation beyond reputeprof. taratonga has a reputation beyond reputeprof. taratonga has a reputation beyond reputeprof. taratonga has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 3 years here and still not getting it.....

Confused...?
Attached Thumbnails
3-years-here-still-not-getting-get-.gif  
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank prof. taratonga for this useful post:
  #42  
Old 25.11.2011, 14:14
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: jona
Posts: 8
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
kessy has no particular reputation at present
Re: 3 years here and still not getting it.....

Quote:
View Post
Swiss are (in general) inhuman and mean. But I have a workaround for this: here in Lausanne, there is a vivid "anarchist" movement: anarchist in Switzerland are welcoming, kind and human. Swiss anarchist act like normal people act elsewhere.

To help integration with locals, I suggest you to join the "anarchist club" of your city. If you're in Bale you're lucky, because there is a big one.
I have to disagree on that! I don't think swiss people are "inhuman" nor "mean". They have their way of seeing things and might be a bit narrow-minded, but that does not make them inhuman, does it?
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 25.11.2011, 14:16
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: jona
Posts: 8
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
kessy has no particular reputation at present
Re: 3 years here and still not getting it.....

Quote:
View Post
Irish Shamrock in Wollishofen, Paddy at Sihlporte, Lions Pub off Rennweg, Railway Pub nr train-station Glattbrugg, McGee's Irish Pub at Bahnhof Wiedikon, Outback at Stadelhofen, S.IP Pub in Oerlikon ..... just a few examples
Thanks a LOT man! where abouts do you live?
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 25.11.2011, 14:20
JBZ86's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zurich and various mountains
Posts: 3,709
Groaned at 520 Times in 337 Posts
Thanked 4,258 Times in 1,944 Posts
JBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 3 years here and still not getting it.....

Quote:
View Post
Thanks a LOT man! where abouts do you live?
Shamrocks a nice little pub! Quiz night sundays are good!

Paddy Reillys and Oliver Twist are other favourites
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank JBZ86 for this useful post:
  #45  
Old 25.11.2011, 16:40
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 3 years here and still not getting it.....

Quote:
View Post
Thanks a LOT man! where abouts do you live?
Glattbrugg, just nr the 2 S-Bahn stations
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 26.11.2011, 00:10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: jona
Posts: 8
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
kessy has no particular reputation at present
Re: 3 years here and still not getting it.....

Quote:
View Post
Glattbrugg, just nr the 2 S-Bahn stations
Just seen that you are a Forum Legend
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 26.11.2011, 09:47
NickGB's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Zug
Posts: 1,176
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,631 Times in 657 Posts
NickGB has a reputation beyond reputeNickGB has a reputation beyond reputeNickGB has a reputation beyond reputeNickGB has a reputation beyond reputeNickGB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 3 years here and still not getting it.....

I've now been in Switzerland for 6 months and I'm also so bored! Bored of everyone complaining about the Swiss! Seriously, is there nothing else to talk about? Oh, wait...Let's talk about how expensive everything is. Let's remember that this is not new York or London and it's unfair to complain about people's cultural differences when you are living in their country. Why not try to integrate into the Swiss culture a bit? (People in the UK complain about foreigners not integrating, but yet we do exactly the same) I work in Zurich and live in a small village in Zug and have not had any bad experiences with the Swiss. (On the contrary)
Rant finished!
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank NickGB for this useful post:
  #48  
Old 26.11.2011, 10:05
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA, former Zurich
Posts: 2,041
Groaned at 14 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 4,811 Times in 1,660 Posts
BokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 3 years here and still not getting it.....

Quote:
View Post
Swiss are (in general) inhuman and mean. But I have a workaround for this: here in Lausanne, there is a vivid "anarchist" movement: anarchist in Switzerland are welcoming, kind and human. Swiss anarchist act like normal people act elsewhere.

To help integration with locals, I suggest you to join the "anarchist club" of your city. If you're in Bale you're lucky, because there is a big one.
I never groaned anyone all the time I have been a member of the EF, but here I came pretty close. And the fun part is, I am not entirely sure if the groan would have been for the "inhuman and mean", for the "anarchist club", for the "normal people" (define normal?) or for all of the above.

You need a beer, or a hug, or hanging out with some cool Swiss we know (paging Prof. T...), or a combination thereof

kessy - how about you sign up for a social event? Pub quiz as someone suggested, karaoke, food events,...you'll have fun! Or just stop by the Viadukt some Thursday, there is always a lively bunch around.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 26.11.2011, 10:17
KeinFranzösisch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,198
Groaned at 63 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,115 Posts
KeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 3 years here and still not getting it.....

Quote:
View Post
I've now been in Switzerland for 6 months and I'm also so bored! Bored of everyone complaining about the Swiss! Seriously, is there nothing else to talk about? (blah blah blah) Why not try to integrate into the Swiss culture a bit? I work in Zurich and live in a small village in Zug and have not had any bad experiences with the Swiss. (On the contrary)
Rant finished!
So how's that integration going for you?
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 26.11.2011, 10:26
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
trolla has no particular reputation at present
Re: 3 years here and still not getting it.....

Quote:
View Post
Hey all,

My name is George and I'm a student at the Basel university.This is my third semester here,before that i used to live in Fribourg.When i was there things were a bit more interesting and i had more friends and people i knew.Im here in Basel from like one year and 3 months and i just don't get the swiss people in basel.Now, i'm half american and half bulgarian but i lived in New York most of my life,still even the little european blood i have doesn't help me get the mentality and the people here.Im just 23 years old and i'm used to have a bit more fire and passion in my life but to be honest.....all i see around me are dead people... seriously....I haven't met anyone worth being a good friend and every time i go out with a bunch of swiss people or with someone that has picked up the swiss mentality i die of boredom.So i guess what I'm trying to say iiiisssss.....any young english speaking people interested in hanging out once in a while in this forum ?
Basel ist one of the worst cit in Switzerland even for swiss natives....come to Zürich
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 30.11.2011, 18:49
ninibini's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: graubünden
Posts: 25
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 34 Times in 13 Posts
ninibini has no particular reputation at present
Re: 3 years here and still not getting it.....

so you wish it would be more like this:

Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank ninibini for this useful post:
  #52  
Old 30.11.2011, 19:43
Jazz's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: St. Gallen
Posts: 253
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 54 Times in 28 Posts
Jazz has earned some respectJazz has earned some respect
Re: 3 years here and still not getting it.....

They're normally the ones who have lived overseas... (ie not really Swiss anymore)!
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 02.12.2011, 18:16
aob aob is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 35
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 22 Times in 12 Posts
aob has no particular reputation at present
Re: 3 years here and still not getting it.....

Not sure how to get this down. But after a number of years of being here, I can quite understand and agree with the op plus the others supporting him.

To make friends, or even have a good conversation with people, there has to be a bit of give and take. Is it just me or how many times have you sat in the train for example, and you know in your heart and soul that the person opposite could do with a chat, but they won't? but when they do it's great!

I give -10 points to the person who said that Swiss aren't open. I don't believe this to be true. I honestly think they just don't know how to be open and shy away from it.

Maybe it's a confidence thing - who knows, but for me and others here, being ourselves (openly) is second nature... but aye - it sucks
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank aob for this useful post:
  #54  
Old 06.12.2011, 16:27
Peet's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Aarau, Carrotland
Posts: 86
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 34 Times in 21 Posts
Peet has earned some respectPeet has earned some respect
Re: 3 years here and still not getting it.....

I'm like the Swiss when it comes to being social to strangers. I am an introvert and reserved at first glance. I am half-Swiss after all. I've never quite understood what all the fuss is about the Swiss. As if all expats are outgoing extroverts and people back home strike up a chat on trains in stead of reading the newspaper.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Peet for this useful post:
  #55  
Old 08.12.2011, 01:41
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bundnerland
Posts: 61
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 32 Times in 17 Posts
WaitingForYesterday has no particular reputation at present
Re: 3 years here and still not getting it.....

Quote:
View Post
I've met some swiss that are ACTUALLY ! kinda cool but ..... yeah they are a minority...for the others all i can say is.....pickles.....just pickles....thats all...

HA! pickles! just floating in their briny, sour, boring jar... Im using that!
Im with the original poster on this.. maybe 10% are still crisp cucumbers, but it seems that the swiss have the biggest stick up their a$$ that Ive ever seen.. LIGHTEN UP, REALLY!
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 08.12.2011, 07:33
Peet's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Aarau, Carrotland
Posts: 86
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 34 Times in 21 Posts
Peet has earned some respectPeet has earned some respect
Re: 3 years here and still not getting it.....

Quote:
View Post
HA! pickles! just floating in their briny, sour, boring jar... Im using that!
Im with the original poster on this.. maybe 10% are still crisp cucumbers, but it seems that the swiss have the biggest stick up their a$$ that Ive ever seen.. LIGHTEN UP, REALLY!
Why anyone would choose to work and live among people that irritates the living crap out of them, is beyond me.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Peet for this useful post:
  #57  
Old 08.12.2011, 13:20
Xamarth's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zürich
Posts: 122
Groaned at 7 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 30 Times in 18 Posts
Xamarth has made some interesting contributions
Re: 3 years here and still not getting it.....

I agree with you George. I have a similar problem and scenario I'm in except I'm technically 50% Swiss. I struggle to "get" Swiss people but I feel obligated to in a way. I live in Zurich though but we can go for a drink or play some pool if ever you come here.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 09.12.2011, 10:25
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bundnerland
Posts: 61
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 32 Times in 17 Posts
WaitingForYesterday has no particular reputation at present
Re: 3 years here and still not getting it.....

Quote:
View Post
Why anyone would choose to work and live among people that irritates the living crap out of them, is beyond me.
Let me clarify a few things since i am new here. First is that I didnt choose to live here, i was perfectly happy with my freedom and 30 acres in idaho but my swiss wife was homesick after having our first child so here we are, i would do anything for her. Dont get me wrong i actually like switzerland, and for the most part everyone ive met here is more than gracious and some of the nicest people i have yet to meet. Having said that they are a bit strange.. But thats only because the culture is much different than the US. There is little spontaneaty and the humor is very very dry. I feel like im living in a prep school or something.. Everything must be done in such a way that i feel like if i dip my bread in the fondue the wrong way im gong to be ostracized.. The swiss are very rigid in their ways and traditons and i think thats ok, you must hold tight to your countries traditions or you will lose them.. As far as quality of life being so high, i just dont see it, the younger people seem happy but the older people just seem so sour and uptight. its probably because this place is so restricted compared to the US that i feel like a caged bird sometimes. I didnt mean any disrespect in my last post or this one, its just an observation.. Agreeing with the OP. Life is too short to be so uptight and untrusting but im not here to change anyones pesonality, just to live and let live. I have maybe had a harder time than some getting adjusted and integrated because im just not motivated to do so, if that makes me a bad immigrant then so be it.. But im here on the EF to vent a little, open my mind to a new culture and meet some fellow countrymen maybe
If im way off then tell me i love to debate!
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank WaitingForYesterday for this useful post:
  #59  
Old 09.12.2011, 10:30
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 3 years here and still not getting it.....

Quote:
View Post
Let me clarify a few things since i am new here. First is that I didnt choose to live here, i was perfectly happy with my freedom and 30 acres in idaho but my swiss wife was homesick after having our first child so here we are, i would do anything for her. Dont get me wrong i actually like switzerland, and for the most part everyone ive met here is more than gracious and some of the nicest people i have yet to meet. Having said that they are a bit strange.. But thats only because the culture is much different than the US. There is little spontaneaty and the humor is very very dry. I feel like im living in a prep school or something.. Everything must be done in such a way that i feel like if i dip my bread in the fondue the wrong way im gong to be ostracized.. The swiss are very rigid in their ways and traditons and i think thats ok, you must hold tight to your countries traditions or you will lose them.. As far as quality of life being so high, i just dont see it, the younger people seem happy but the older people just seem so sour and uptight. its probably because this place is so restricted compared to the US that i feel like a caged bird sometimes. I didnt mean any disrespect in my last post or this one, its just an observation.. Agreeing with the OP. Life is too short to be so uptight and untrusting but im not here to change anyones pesonality, just to live and let live. I have maybe had a harder time than some getting adjusted and integrated because im just not motivated to do so, if that makes me a bad immigrant then so be it.. But im here on the EF to vent a little, open my mind to a new culture and meet some fellow countrymen maybe
If im way off then tell me i love to debate!
Nice post and it sums up the situation pretty good IMO. I don't think young ones are happy here either...they don't have any ambitions whatsoever and there are no incentives to trying to achieve anything, as the system won't allow it.

This being said (and I apologize for being slightly OT), I once got lost in Idaho looking for food and a gas station..does Montpellier and Paris Idaho ring a bell?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank lost_inbroad for this useful post:
  #60  
Old 09.12.2011, 12:49
Peet's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Aarau, Carrotland
Posts: 86
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 34 Times in 21 Posts
Peet has earned some respectPeet has earned some respect
Re: 3 years here and still not getting it.....

Quote:
View Post
Let me clarify a few things since i am new here. First is that I didnt choose to live here, i was perfectly happy with my freedom and 30 acres in idaho but my swiss wife was homesick after having our first child so here we are, i would do anything for her. Dont get me wrong i actually like switzerland, and for the most part everyone ive met here is more than gracious and some of the nicest people i have yet to meet. Having said that they are a bit strange.. But thats only because the culture is much different than the US. There is little spontaneaty and the humor is very very dry. I feel like im living in a prep school or something.. Everything must be done in such a way that i feel like if i dip my bread in the fondue the wrong way im gong to be ostracized.. The swiss are very rigid in their ways and traditons and i think thats ok, you must hold tight to your countries traditions or you will lose them.. As far as quality of life being so high, i just dont see it, the younger people seem happy but the older people just seem so sour and uptight. its probably because this place is so restricted compared to the US that i feel like a caged bird sometimes. I didnt mean any disrespect in my last post or this one, its just an observation.. Agreeing with the OP. Life is too short to be so uptight and untrusting but im not here to change anyones pesonality, just to live and let live. I have maybe had a harder time than some getting adjusted and integrated because im just not motivated to do so, if that makes me a bad immigrant then so be it.. But im here on the EF to vent a little, open my mind to a new culture and meet some fellow countrymen maybe
If im way off then tell me i love to debate!
OK that was nicely explained and I respect your feelings and even your generalizations about the Swiss are not far off the mark.

I just think there is a reason why so many expats and people of independent means choose to live in Switzerland (not you). And so many who aspire to do it, but can't. Obviously, the Swiss are doing some things very very right to make their country this attractive to outsiders. And the national psyche must have something to do with the fact that Switzerland proves to be this attractive, especially for family living. (Please I don;t want to debate the pros and cons of other countries)

I just think it is disingenuous to expect that the Swiss mentality, so different to most Anglo-centric countries (I include RSA), should produce a country that's pretty unique by a lot of measures, while at the same time being put off by those very same differences. Fact is, if the Swiss were more American, for the lack of a better example, Switzerland would be more like America too. Or South Africa.

Peace.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Peet for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Eurosports english option: Are you still getting it? etin TV/internet/telephone 13 08.06.2012 11:16
New Years Reolution- Getting fit? Yeah...but actually DOING IT! Gummybear Commercial 1 23.11.2011 16:24
New intro - Been in Switzerland for 5 years and still need advise! Anita729 Introductions 2 15.11.2009 21:23
Cablecom and Dreambox, does it still make sense? MaZo TV/internet/telephone 3 21.07.2008 09:13


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0