Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 13.12.2011, 10:09
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Weird incident (is Zurich really that safe?)

Quote:
View Post
Switzerland is relatively safe compared to most other places in the world. That being said, no matter how safe a place is, there is always some idiot who does stuff like this.
And if the victim happens to be someone new to the country, it paints a bad picture.

OP, glad that you are fine. I think you did the right thing by reporting this to the police.

It is always wise to be a little careful when outside. You never know when there will be some idiot who had one too many drinks / or some kid just being an jerk out there.

Stay safe.
It's a false pretense, that it's safe. As I've previously mentioned, many of you don't read the local newspapers and follow tragic events which take place on a daily basis. In addition, there is a culture of under-reporting going on..be it the victims or the actual police which don't necessarily record certain crimes into the statistics.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank lost_inbroad for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 13.12.2011, 10:11
TheWolverine's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,490
Groaned at 13 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,378 Times in 688 Posts
TheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Weird incident (is Zurich really that safe?)

Quote:
View Post
It's a false pretense, that it's safe. As I've previously mentioned, many of you don't read the local newspapers and follow tragic events which take place on a daily basis. In addition, there is a culture of under-reporting going on..be it the victims or the actual police which don't necessarily record certain crimes into the statistics.

Keyword there was relatively, LiB.

I agree that its not totally safe here, but its much better than most other places.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TheWolverine for this useful post:
  #23  
Old 13.12.2011, 10:15
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Weird incident (is Zurich really that safe?)

Quote:
View Post
Keyword there was relatively, LiB.

I agree that its not totally safe here, but its much better than most other places.
What other places for instance?

Geneva has a worse criminal record than the Bronx.....entire Hong Kong is safer than Zurich. Those are some serious numbers!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 13.12.2011, 10:18
TheWolverine's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,490
Groaned at 13 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,378 Times in 688 Posts
TheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Weird incident (is Zurich really that safe?)

Quote:
View Post
What other places for instance?

Geneva has a worse criminal record than the Bronx.....entire Hong Kong is safer than Zurich. Those are some serious numbers!
Well...off the top of my head, Parts of South Asia, Parts of North / Central Africa, Parts of South America, Parts of America, parts of Eastern Europe...

LiB, there is nowhere in the world that totally safe. Well, as long as there are people there, I suppose.
My point was just that overall I feel much safer here in switzerland.
And I did not say its the safest, bestest place in the world...

I just said its relatively safer than most. Is all.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 13.12.2011, 10:19
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 338 Times in 274 Posts
Thanked 26,263 Times in 11,000 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Weird incident (is Zurich really that safe?)

Quote:
View Post
I don't think it's only the expats Sandgrounder, I think the locals are just as complacent as us, if not even more. My wife, a local, thinks no crime exists here whatsover. As a person who grew up where there is more crime than here, I'm much more careful than her.
I suppose it depends who you talk to. Some of the Swiss people I know believe crime has become rampant over the last couple of years (due to immigration) and that Zürich these days is about as dangerous as the Bronx. The growth in popularity of a certain party shows that there are quite a few people who feel that way.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 13.12.2011, 10:21
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 338 Times in 274 Posts
Thanked 26,263 Times in 11,000 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Weird incident (is Zurich really that safe?)

Quote:
View Post
So, today "someone attacked me in a sexual way" (I am using quotes because the incident was really "mild" - but still, what is this city coming to...?)

This is the exact email I sent to the Kantonpolizei:



I wanted to add that I am 29 years old and reasonably fit (but the guy was really fast).
You were right to report it to the police. Too many people are ashamed of this type of thing and don't report it. I hope they repsonded to you appropriately and will take what action they can.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #27  
Old 13.12.2011, 10:23
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 5,514
Groaned at 123 Times in 108 Posts
Thanked 3,297 Times in 1,737 Posts
Shorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Weird incident (is Zurich really that safe?)

Quote:
View Post
or the actual police which don't necessarily record certain crimes into the statistics.
Define "necessarily" and "certain".
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 13.12.2011, 10:25
summerrain's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,350
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 985 Times in 325 Posts
summerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Weird incident (is Zurich really that safe?)

Quote:
View Post
The growth in popularity of a certain party shows that there are quite a few people who feel that way.
You mean the same party which suffered a suffered a significant setback during the 2011 federal election?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank summerrain for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 13.12.2011, 10:27
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Weird incident (is Zurich really that safe?)

Quote:
View Post
What other places for instance?

Geneva has a worse criminal record than the Bronx.....entire Hong Kong is safer than Zurich. Those are some serious numbers!
Fashion crimes are a constant in Zurich. I'd say there were more than the fair share of offenders wearing half-mast trousers and shiny slip-on shoes.

It's criminal, I tells ya...
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 13.12.2011, 10:28
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Weird incident (is Zurich really that safe?)

Quote:
View Post
Well...off the top of my head, Parts of South Asia, Parts of North / Central Africa, Parts of South America, Parts of America, parts of Eastern Europe...

LiB, there is nowhere in the world that totally safe. Well, as long as there are people there, I suppose.
My point was just that overall I feel much safer here in switzerland.
And I did not say its the safest, bestest place in the world...

I just said its relatively safer than most. Is all.
I've been to and lived in many notoriously dangerous parts of the world. The only place where I had to physically defend myself was Switzerland. As a matter of fact, when I was attacked, I was standing 2m away from 2 plain clothed police officers, which didn't do anything to prevent the altrication. Also, no 40 meters away, some kid got beaten to death a year later....and a woman was beat up some 3 months after the 18 year passed away...all I can say is, that I feel much more comfortable going out in New York City, Kingston, etc. than here in Switzerland.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank lost_inbroad for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 13.12.2011, 10:33
jetset's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Canton Zurich
Posts: 279
Groaned at 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 166 Times in 69 Posts
jetset has earned the respect of manyjetset has earned the respect of manyjetset has earned the respect of many
Re: Weird incident (is Zurich really that safe?)

I'm sorry that this happened to you and am glad that you are safe. As a female runner, I can relate to some of your feelings. I hope this experience does not negatively effect your ability to enjoy your runs in the coming future.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 13.12.2011, 10:36
TheWolverine's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,490
Groaned at 13 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,378 Times in 688 Posts
TheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Weird incident (is Zurich really that safe?)

Quote:
View Post
I've been to and lived in many notoriously dangerous parts of the world. The only place where I had to physically defend myself was Switzerland. As a matter of fact, when I was attacked, I was standing 2m away from 2 plain clothed police officers, which didn't do anything to prevent the altrication. Also, no 40 meters away, some kid got beaten to death a year later....and a woman was beat up some 3 months after the 18 year passed away...all I can say is, that I feel much more comfortable going out in New York City, Kingston, etc. than here in Switzerland.
Its bad that you had to be in situations like this here.

Once again, I didnt say that its completely safe here.
I have been in my share of dangerous places.
Places where you left home in the morning and did not know whether you would make it back in one piece in the evening.

So I hope you will forgive me if I have the feeling of relative safety here.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TheWolverine for this useful post:
  #33  
Old 13.12.2011, 10:40
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Weird incident (is Zurich really that safe?)

Quote:
View Post
Crikey! Sometimes I wish owning and using a taser gun is legal here. Would love to carry it in my hand during rush hour for people who dont get out of the way and for perverts like this.

I am so sorry to hear about that incident. Doesnt sound like he was trying to pickpocket you. Its just really unfortunate to experience a violation like that. I would have been livid afterwards

Do let us know how the police respond.
Are you being serious? You’d tazer people in a queue?

Living in a big city is all about avoiding the bampots, very quickly you develop a 2nd sense for crazy and spot the bams coming a mile off. In future always be aware of who is around you, If I hear running footsteps behind me I always side step and face that direction, most of the time to let the guy past, but you also avoid some thug having the 'jump' on you.

Having said this these people are often vulnerable adults with mental problems, attacking them fight-club style is probably the worst thing to do. And that course of action can make it difficult for the police to determine which one of you is the crazy...
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #34  
Old 13.12.2011, 10:42
Corbets's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: DK - previously Zug
Posts: 3,321
Groaned at 168 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 6,707 Times in 2,237 Posts
Corbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Weird incident (is Zurich really that safe?)

Quote:
View Post
Geneva has a worse criminal record than the Bronx.....entire Hong Kong is safer than Zurich. Those are some serious numbers!


New York City has an intentional homicide rate of almost 7 per 100'000 people per year. That's significantly down from prior decades, by the way.

Switzerland as a whole has less than 1 per 100'000. That's almost an order of magnitude difference.

I didn't find stats for Geneva specifically. Frankly, I don't see the need - having lived in Chicago, I can provide just as many anecdotal stories as you showing exactly the opposite view of safety in Switzerland.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Corbets for this useful post:
  #35  
Old 13.12.2011, 10:52
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Weird incident (is Zurich really that safe?)

Quote:
View Post

New York City has an intentional homicide rate of almost 7 per 100'000 people per year. That's significantly down from prior decades, by the way.

Switzerland as a whole has less than 1 per 100'000. That's almost an order of magnitude difference.

I didn't find stats for Geneva specifically. Frankly, I don't see the need - having lived in Chicago, I can provide just as many anecdotal stories as you showing exactly the opposite view of safety in Switzerland.
Yeah well, my story didn't take place in Chicago..it was Aarau (population of almost 20k http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aarau).
Compare the murder rate of NYC with the one in Zurich (roughly 50) and you'll understand that NYC isn't such a bad place after all.


Here, some interesting police report website.

http://polizeibericht.ch/ger_cat_306...gsdelikte.html
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 13.12.2011, 11:02
little_isabella's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,094
Groaned at 18 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,387 Times in 550 Posts
little_isabella has a reputation beyond reputelittle_isabella has a reputation beyond reputelittle_isabella has a reputation beyond reputelittle_isabella has a reputation beyond reputelittle_isabella has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Weird incident (is Zurich really that safe?)

Loads of stats coming up in this thread.

Higher or lower, Zurich for me feels safer than any other city I've lived, including the much discussed London in this thread. And that makes living here feel good.

I've been personally affected by violence plenty in my life so of course it doesn't mean I don't take the precautions I'd take anywhere. But the fact remains that I feel safer here and that's an important feeling for me when it comes to quality of life. =)
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank little_isabella for this useful post:
  #37  
Old 13.12.2011, 11:05
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Weird incident (is Zurich really that safe?)

Quote:
View Post
Yeah well, my story didn't take place in Chicago..it was Aarau (population of almost 20k http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aarau).
Compare the murder rate of NYC with the one in Zurich (roughly 50) and you'll understand that NYC isn't such a bad place after all.


Here, some interesting police report website.

http://polizeibericht.ch/ger_cat_306...gsdelikte.html
Hang on, I think this thread is about a boobie or crotch grab not a murder. What's that in statistic-speak? Sexual assault maybe? It wasn't bodily harm or injury but I'm sure there's a category for it.

Let's not muddy the waters with "murder".
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #38  
Old 13.12.2011, 11:07
Corbets's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: DK - previously Zug
Posts: 3,321
Groaned at 168 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 6,707 Times in 2,237 Posts
Corbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Weird incident (is Zurich really that safe?)

Quote:
Hang on, I think this thread is about a boobie or crotch grab not a murder. What's that in statistic-speak? Sexual assault maybe? It wasn't bodily harm or injury but I'm sure there's a category for it.

Let's not muddy the waters with "murder".
Fair enough, I'll leave the Swiss Defense to another thread.

But to stay on topic, in 6 years here, I've never had my man-boobs grabbed. Not once.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Corbets for this useful post:
  #39  
Old 13.12.2011, 11:16
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 10,653
Groaned at 279 Times in 230 Posts
Thanked 19,403 Times in 7,402 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Weird incident (is Zurich really that safe?)

Quote:
View Post
But to stay on topic, in 6 years here, I've never had my man-boobs grabbed. Not once.
You never been to the Viadukt on a thursday night
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank dodgyken for this useful post:
  #40  
Old 13.12.2011, 11:20
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 233
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 284 Times in 121 Posts
Calvin has an excellent reputationCalvin has an excellent reputationCalvin has an excellent reputationCalvin has an excellent reputation
Re: Weird incident (is Zurich really that safe?)

Quote:
View Post
Yeah well, my story didn't take place in Chicago..it was Aarau (population of almost 20k http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aarau).
Compare the murder rate of NYC with the one in Zurich (roughly 50) and you'll understand that NYC isn't such a bad place after all.


Here, some interesting police report website.

http://polizeibericht.ch/ger_cat_306...gsdelikte.html
I'im sorry, but you got the numbers all wrong.

The number of homicides or attempted homicides in 2010 was 16 in the city of Zurich. http://www.kapo.zh.ch/internet/siche...tistiken2.html

In New York city, there were 536 homicides victimes in 2010 http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...der_in_nyc.pdf
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Calvin for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is the current employment situation really that bad? detroitpistons#1 Employment 15 07.10.2011 16:36
Is Switzerland really that boring? baba tenor Complaints corner 91 06.07.2011 17:18
WATERBOARDING: is it really that bad? The_Love_Doctor International affairs/politics 110 19.11.2010 17:34
Is your postman really all that hot? or is this just another myth ... Sada General off-topic 31 28.01.2010 23:13
Is all that stuff really necessary??? esmeinbs Permits/visas/government 2 11.10.2009 17:52


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0