English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Daily life (https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/)
-   -   Halloween in Zurich? (https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/14132-halloween-zurich.html)

Domenick 25.10.2007 01:02

Halloween in Zurich?
 
Hello All,

I'm too much of a newbie to post this question in the social section. :)

I'll be moving to Zurich on the 30th of October and I'll be bringing my latest Halloween costume with me. My question is, what does Zurich do on Halloween?

And would anyone be interested in organizing a group to participate in the Zurich Ghost Walk that evening?

http://www.ghostwalk.ch/default.htm

eejit 25.10.2007 21:13

Re: Halloween in Zurich?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Domenick (Post 121885)
My question is, what does Zurich do on Halloween?

I don't think there's anything traditional here on the 31st. The local kids have picked up on the trick-or-treat possibilities in the last few years although they're not very innovative with the tricks. Shaving foam in the letter box is their limit.

Last Halloween my youngest daughter and her friends got dressed up as witches and I chaperoned them at a discreet distance while they did their treating. All the folks who answered the door seemed to understand what was going on and were friendly and generous enough, given that it's something alien to them.

The pre-teens don't make much effort and for them it's just another way to goof off. They are just about old enough to have taken part in the annual Zürich "Schulsilvester" (trans: school New Year's Eve) when it was traditional to run riot, let off fireworks, shaving foam, etcetera, in the early hours of the last school day of the year.

Disclaimer: I'm an English native and my knowledge of real Halloween extends to Wikipedia reference-linkBobbing_for_apples and Jamie Lee Curtis

2CH 16.09.2008 18:46

Re: Halloween in Zurich?
 
Domenick,

I was wondering the same thing, was anything going on for Halloween in Zurich? I'm too new to the forum, and will have only been in town for a few weeks, so I can't organize something. (sorry, a bit too ambitious).

But, I did notice the ghost walk, looks interesting. If there are enought people interested in it, we could get a group rate, then just go to some place to have a few drinks afterwards. The 31st is a Friday night so it would be perfect.

Anyone interested in the Ghost Walk on the 31st or even better organize a costume party!

2CH 16.09.2008 19:01

Re: Halloween in Zurich?
 
erm...a duh...note to self, check date of orginal post......anyway, a year later. Still interested in what is going on for Halloween 2008 and any takers on the Ghost walk?

JanerMacP 16.09.2008 19:27

Re: Halloween in Zurich?
 
I don't know about the Ghost Walk but some friends and I dressed up last year and went out to a club that serioulsy turned out to be a rendition of "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Next", we honestly thought the mental institution was bussed in for the night. It certainly was interesting but we won't be making a reappearance this year.

If anyone has anything going on in Zurich I would love to hear about it as Halloween is the bestest holiday of the year.

J.L-P 16.09.2008 20:23

Re: Halloween in Zurich?
 
The Ghost Walk is fun and you learn alot of fun things about Zurich... but not terribly scary.

Trick or treating is sometimes arranged by neighbours for children (expat), otherwise it's no big deal here. BOO!!!

Guest 16.09.2008 20:30

Re: Halloween in Zurich?
 
A group of friends and I are planning to have a big barbecue in my garden. We are already making animal masks, one of the lads has acquired a pig's bladder, and one of the girls has agreed to let me wear her finest frock so I can be Maid Marian. A local carpenter is busy making us a hobby horse, and we've managed to persuade a medical school (shan't name which one) to let us borrow the hand of an executed criminal for the evening. Contributions of straw and wicker are very welcome.

Also, if anyone knows of a Christian policeman who'd like to come and join us for our celebrations, please get him to pm me. Oh, by the way, he must be a virgin, too. Can't really go into the reasons here, but trust me...

Sada 16.09.2008 20:41

Re: Halloween in Zurich?
 
Quote:

A group of friends and I are planning to have a big barbecue in my garden. We are already making animal masks, one of the lads has acquired a pig's bladder, and one of the girls has agreed to let me wear her finest frock so I can be Maid Marian. A local carpenter is busy making us a hobby horse, and we've managed to persuade a medical school (shan't name which one) to let us borrow the hand of an executed criminal for the evening. Contributions of straw and wicker are very welcome.

Also, if anyone knows of a Christian policeman who'd like to come and join us for our celebrations, please get him to pm me. Oh, by the way, he must be a virgin, too. Can't really go into the reasons here, but trust me...
You are something else Monsieur Dougal !!!
Besides, the pig's bladder I know very well. We used that all the time together with a devils custom. Well it was more a gang of lads doing this ... the bladder hang on a stick and they went after whomever they wanted to get even with and just beat them up ... a little fun thing to do during carnaval !!!

Patxi 16.09.2008 20:51

Re: Halloween in Zurich?
 
Quote:

Also, if anyone knows of a Christian policeman who'd like to come and join us for our celebrations, please get him to pm me.
I'll talk to my local policeman but I am pretty certain he would be interested. I would be willing to wager that he meets all of your criteria. I'll have him shoot you a pm. Here's a photo:
http://www.webwombat.com.au/entertai...nterview-1.jpg

Rustygraben 16.09.2008 21:22

Re: Halloween in Zurich?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patxi (Post 314593)
I'll talk to my local policeman but I am pretty certain he would be interested. I would be willing to wager that he meets all of your criteria. I'll have him shoot you a pm. Here's a photo:
http://www.webwombat.com.au/entertai...nterview-1.jpg

Sergeant Bruce Sparkle is unfortunately not available, as he has been "reserved" by Senator Larry Craig for an indefinite period of time.

FrederikG 16.09.2008 21:26

Re: Halloween in Zurich?
 
Ghost walk sounds awesome, I would like to join.

J.L-P 16.09.2008 22:02

Re: Halloween in Zurich?
 
Here is the link for the ghost walk: http://www.ghostwalk.ch/

Patxi 16.09.2008 22:17

Re: Halloween in Zurich?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rustygraben (Post 314621)
Sergeant Bruce Sparkle is unfortunately not available, as he has been "reserved" by Senator Larry Craig for an indefinite period of time.

They both apparently have a "wide stance".

Crumbs 16.09.2008 23:12

Re: Halloween in Zurich?
 
Unfortunately, Halloween is not that much of a big deal here. There are parties but you have to look for them. As it's a Friday this year, there may be more going on.

In Zurich the first week in November is usually reserved for "Räbeliechtli", which is much, much tamer.... Swiss parents that I know, aren't really interested in celebrating Halloween a few days before the Räbeliechtli processions.

flow23 16.09.2008 23:33

Re: Halloween in Zurich?
 
why should we/ch folks do that? its not a custom here, never really was.
theres is no fastnacht or an equivalent to germany karneval thing in US and thats ok as it is no custom there. would be dead boring if i couldnt really tell anymore where i live when all would be american (ok, originally celtic) customs.

Guest 16.09.2008 23:41

Re: Halloween in Zurich?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by flow23 (Post 314708)
why should we/ch folks do that?

Why shouldn't we?

Back in England, living and working in a proper multicultural area, I got to party every few weeks, with Diwali, Christmas, two Eids, Chinese New Year, May Day, Halloween, Easter, New Year's Eve, Midsummer Night, and so on... It was brilliant!

Now I'm in Switzerland, I enjoy the Swiss festivals, but that's no reason not to celebrate everything else.

I'll take any excuse for a party!

Deep Purple 16.09.2008 23:47

Re: Halloween in Zurich?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by flow23 (Post 314708)
why should we/ch folks do that? its not a custom here, never really was.
theres is no fastnacht or an equivalent to germany karneval thing in US and thats ok as it is no custom there. would be dead boring if i couldnt really tell anymore where i live when all would be american (ok, originally celtic) customs.

I agree. Customs should be preserved in their original settings. For me, in the UK, Bonfire is the big event. Sussex Bonfire Societies are aiming for UNESCO World Heritage status to protect them for the future.

Rod

Guest 16.09.2008 23:55

Re: Halloween in Zurich?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Purple (Post 314716)
I agree. Customs should be preserved in their original settings.

No more Christmas trees, or Santa Claus with Reindeer in England? No more Hallowe'en parties? No more Diwali fireworks in Leicester?

What a depressing thought... :msnsad:

Guest 17.09.2008 00:00

Re: Halloween in Zurich?
 
...and we can cancel the next Highland Games in Switzerland, too.

Not to mention that Irish thing on the Toggenburg...

Or the Albanifest in Winterthur.... (OK, I might not be entirely serious with the last one...)

flow23 17.09.2008 00:00

Re: Halloween in Zurich?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Purple (Post 314716)
I agree. Customs should be preserved in their original settings. For me, in the UK, Bonfire is the big event. Sussex Bonfire Societies are aiming for UNESCO World Heritage status to protect them for the future.

Rod

exactly. otherwise it becomes iflationairy. i think having a oktoberfest copy in san diego or tokio is ridiculous. think about your own customs but dont do bad copies of them anywhere else. its boring. carnival in rio is unique and levante a gaper and groper parade.

sussex bonfire cant be set the same way here, so if you wanna do it, go back when its about time to have it in sussex. your right, mate.

Deep Purple 17.09.2008 00:11

Re: Halloween in Zurich?
 
Quote:

No more Christmas trees, or Santa Claus with Reindeer in England? No more Hallowe'en parties? No more Diwali fireworks in Leicester?

What a depressing thought... :msnsad:
I perhaps didn't word my reply accurately enough. What I would not like to see is complete uniformity everywhere. I am certainly not suggesting scrapping the celebrations, just maintaining the national and regional distinctiveness.

Rod

Guest 17.09.2008 00:19

Re: Halloween in Zurich?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Purple (Post 314727)
maintaining the national and regional distinctiveness.

That's the bit I disagree with!

Culture is always in a state of flux - just think of food: What are the ingredients in Irish Stew? In fish and chips? In a typical Italian pizza? All of these distinctive foods contain ingredients that are not indigenous to their respective nations. Or music - the pop music for which Britain is most famous, for example - derived from black American jazz and blues, interpreted by spotty Scousers and Mancs and made into something quite special.

Festivals are no different: What would an English Christmas be without a Christmas tree? Without turkey and cranberry sauce? Without the Queen's speech on the telly? Without Santa Claus and Rudolf and Slade? None of these things would exist if Christmas had been kept 'pure', far from foreign influences.

Easter is the same: Mix a bit of indigenous pagan fertility ritual with a dollop of Semitic sacrifice, and everyone gets a chocolate egg and a couple of days off work! Brilliant!

Purity is death. Mix it up and have more fun!

(I would respond more intelligently, because it's actually something I really believe in, but it's bed time, so it'll have to wait... sorry!)

flow23 17.09.2008 01:03

Re: Halloween in Zurich?
 
theres is some truth in it, of course. but the amazement that swiss do not celebrate halloween and if, that the suprise goes on its not like in florida or california, texas, idaho or ireland.

like if id be living in uk i had to accept that on boxing day you get the gifts and would not be surprised its not on xmas eve as its a uk custom. all this adapting is boring. in the end its like the summary like in most threads: different culture here, adjust.

Guest 17.09.2008 06:19

Re: Halloween in Zurich?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by flow23 (Post 314733)
like if id be living in uk i had to accept that on boxing day you get the gifts and would not be surprised its not on xmas eve as its a uk custom. all this adapting is boring. in the end its like the summary like in most threads: different culture here, adjust.

Why should one give up everything one enjoys just because the locals don't enjoy it, too? Why can't one introduce the locals to the fun and excitement that one enjoys back home?

If Americans want to celebrate Hallowe'en in Switzerland, then let them! And if Swiss people want to join in, then all the better!

I've never heard anyone complain when Chinese people want to celebrate their New Year wherever they happen to be living in the world.

Perhaps it is just American festivals that earn our disapproval?

As usual... :rolleyes:

flow23 17.09.2008 09:24

Re: Halloween in Zurich?
 
Quote:

Why should one give up everything one enjoys just because the locals don't enjoy it, too? Why can't one introduce the locals to the fun and excitement that one enjoys back home?

If Americans want to celebrate Hallowe'en in Switzerland, then let them! And if Swiss people want to join in, then all the better!

I've never heard anyone complain when Chinese people want to celebrate their New Year wherever they happen to be living in the world.

Perhaps it is just American festivals that earn our disapproval?

As usual... :rolleyes:

nono. misunderstanding! please do so, as much diverse as posible, feel happy doing so! i just want to say that one should no be surprised or rant if not such thing is going on here. i am happy if you are but please leave me alone with trick or treat-crap, shaving foam in my post box and the request to decorate my flat with candle lit pumpkins n stuff which some people asked me about why i am not doing that, expats and locals...thats all. i dont want to celebrate things i have nothing in common with. e.g. people coming from the nothern part of germany living in munich and getting dressed on oktoberfest as the bavarians do, but do speak heavy nothern accent and with no idea about bavaria at all. superimposed fun...

Starbug 17.09.2008 09:38

Re: Halloween in Zurich?
 
There's a tradition in the area where I live, that people make bonfires on Hallowe'en and then burn things they no longer want, it can be something small like a photograph or something bigger like a chair. Whatever it is, it has to be something that is holding you back, or is a thorn in your side and getting rid of it is symbolic of starting new. Then everyone sits backs by the fire, eats and drinks and there are games for the kids (apple dunking, treasure hunt). It isn't quite a traditional idea of Hallowe'en with costumes but it's a good way of getting together with friends and planning for the new year.

herc82 17.09.2008 09:51

Re: Halloween in Zurich?
 
Halloween in Switzerland can be fun, but it's a bit like Fasnacht (carneval) in Zurich - it does not have a meaning to it, no connection... but always a good excuse to go drinking all night!

Guest 17.09.2008 09:52

Re: Halloween in Zurich?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Purple (Post 314727)
just maintaining the national and regional distinctiveness.

Round by my Mum and Dad in the UK, Hallowe'en has now become the realm of the local yoof, dressed up in hoodies and acting like little b*stards. The police hate hallowe'en because it means a 5 million percent increase in phone calls reporting damage to property, theft, attacks on rival little b*stards, and general disruption.

Little kids dressed up as pumpkins, witches and fairies wouldn't be allowed out by their parents for fear of coming face to face with fighting hoodies.

On the brighter side, the shops make a fortune selling cheap orange and black plastic tat. :rolleyes:

Hallowe'en in Switzerland seems to be a bit of a non-event. In 8 years I've never had so much as a witch ring on our doorbell.

On the brighter side, the shops make a fortune selling cheap orange and black plastic tat. :rolleyes:

Some national distinctiveness is the same the world over... :D

Rustygraben 17.09.2008 09:54

Re: Halloween in Zurich?
 
It is one thing to introduce a number of traditions from other countries and celebrate them to enrich one's own culture and another to import a festival that has succumbed to commercial exploitation. Halloween nowadays has almost completely lost its original meaning and is now only an excuse for wholesalers to flog tons of unripe pumpkins and cheap costumes.

BHBT 17.09.2008 09:56

Re: Halloween in Zurich?
 
Quote:

Hallowe'en in Switzerland seems to be a bit of a non-event. In 8 years I've never had so much as a witch ring on our doorbell.
I wish....I once had dishwashing detergent squirted on my house when I wasn't home at Hallowe'en....in sleepy old Hombrechtikon :eek:

Little b*stards....

Barbra.

Guest 17.09.2008 09:59

Re: Halloween in Zurich?
 
Quote:

If Americans want to celebrate Hallowe'en in Switzerland, then let them! And if Swiss people want to join in, then all the better!
That's the other bit that has always confused me. Hallowe'en is a pagan festival and I'm always surprised at how popular it is in the US given that Christianity seems to be such a big thing over there. :confused:

The All Saints day which is the Christian festival on the same day is supposed to be a day of fasting so scoffing sweets and goodies collected from neighbours seems a bit against the grain...

Guess it's just one of those quirks to make things fit into society like celebrating Christmas at the wrong time of the year... :)

Sada 17.09.2008 10:08

Re: Halloween in Zurich?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BHBT (Post 314839)
I wish....I once had dishwashing detergent squirted on my house when I wasn't home at Hallowe'en....in sleepy old Hombrechtikon :eek:

Little b*stards....

Barbra.

What Hombrechtikon!!! :) that is the place I earned my first salary, working with horses there, you probably know the place !!! This brings back lovely memories !!! :)

barryinc 17.09.2008 10:08

Re: Halloween in Zurich?
 
Quote:

That's the other bit that has always confused me. Hallowe'en is a pagan festival and I'm always surprised at how popular it is in the US given that Christianity seems to be such a big thing over there. :confused:

The All Saints day which is the Christian festival on the same day is supposed to be a day of fasting so scoffing sweets and goodies collected from neighbours seems a bit against the grain...

Guess it's just one of those quirks to make things fit into society like celebrating Christmas at the wrong time of the year... :)
Yeah the christians(churches) in the U.S. have there kids a fall party and have games and talk about how Halloween was good and has been taken over by evil. I love Halloween evil or good been both:msntongue:

barryinc 17.09.2008 10:10

Re: Halloween in Zurich?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by J.L-P (Post 314647)
Here is the link for the ghost walk: http://www.ghostwalk.ch/

Have you been? we should go

Uncle Max 17.09.2008 19:53

Re: Halloween in Zurich?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by flow23 (Post 314816)
superimposed fun...

Keepin' it real, Flow :cool:

Apparently, 23% of Americans are Evangelical, yet Vampire stories are the most favoured books loaned from libraries in the Bible Belt. Weird lot...

Jim2007 17.09.2008 22:07

Re: Halloween in Zurich?
 
Quote:

Perhaps it is just American festivals that earn our disapproval?
As usual... :rolleyes:
Yes, but Halloweeen in actually an Irish party, although we don't do it in the same was as the American do......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween

Jim

kuku-gaga 29.10.2009 20:26

Re: Halloween in Zurich?
 
Folks, anyone plans something for this Halloween?

I have this:
http://www.frightcatalog.com/i/360x360/1104150.jpg

And would like to join with some others who would love go scaring people around Niederdorf, Bahnhofstrasse and so on.

As soon as darkness comes down, that means from 19:00.

I do not know how long I will survive in this suit but for some time I am sure able to wreck havoc.

Unfortunately I cannot really go inside of crowded places, especially if there is a smoke, in this suit, I will die.

Hehe

SemperEadem 13.10.2010 15:02

Re: Halloween in Zurich?
 
Star Trek ensign and some beer. Boom. That's what's up.

Wollishofener 13.10.2010 21:41

Re: Halloween in Zurich?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by eejit (Post 122377)
I don't think there's anything traditional here on the 31st. The local kids have picked up on the trick-or-treat possibilities in the last few years although they're not very innovative with the tricks. Shaving foam in the letter box is their limit.

Last Halloween my youngest daughter and her friends got dressed up as witches and I chaperoned them at a discreet distance while they did their treating. All the folks who answered the door seemed to understand what was going on and were friendly and generous enough, given that it's something alien to them.

The pre-teens don't make much effort and for them it's just another way to goof off. They are just about old enough to have taken part in the annual Zürich "Schulsilvester" (trans: school New Year's Eve) when it was traditional to run riot, let off fireworks, shaving foam, etcetera, in the early hours of the last school day of the year.

Disclaimer: I'm an English native and my knowledge of real Halloween extends to Wikipedia reference-linkBobbing_for_apples and Jamie Lee Curtis

Halloween has no tradition in Zurich. The teachers however used Halloween to replace "Schulsylvester" when the government abolished the Schulsylvester.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:35.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0