Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02.05.2012, 21:21
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Le Bouveret
Posts: 28
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
almaaaaa has no particular reputation at present
Le Bouveret

Hey! I just joined this forum because in July I will be studying at Cesar Ritz in Le Bouveret. It's kinda challenging looking for information about Le Bouveret, I guess because it's a tiny town? Anyone here living there or maybe been there before?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02.05.2012, 21:37
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Deleted Account, Left Forum
Posts: 261
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 252 Times in 123 Posts
HarryBosch has an excellent reputationHarryBosch has an excellent reputationHarryBosch has an excellent reputationHarryBosch has an excellent reputation
Re: Le Bouveret

Welcome to the Forum.

Lucky you.

This is a beautiful area for biking, boating, walking and nature. It's probably a little quieter in the evening. There is a nature reserve right next door and some really good wine areas near by.

Sleep in on your day off, then take a bike trip towards Aigle. Stop on your way to buy some baguette, wine, cheese and head for for a picnic/brunch with a few friends on the river or lake.

With a bike, boat or train from Villeneuve, you can easily head down the lake towards Chillon (http://www.chillon.ch/en/), Montreux and even Lausanne. On the French side, you can head to Evian, where the famous mineral water comes from. Free if you take your own bottle.

In winter I'm sure you can head for some great skiing. So get ready for a great adventure.

Best Wishes
Harry
__________________
Gone, deleted account, left forum.

Last edited by HarryBosch; 02.05.2012 at 23:06.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank HarryBosch for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 02.05.2012, 21:42
smackerjack's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.K/VAUD
Posts: 2,242
Groaned at 14 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 2,691 Times in 1,110 Posts
smackerjack has a reputation beyond reputesmackerjack has a reputation beyond reputesmackerjack has a reputation beyond reputesmackerjack has a reputation beyond reputesmackerjack has a reputation beyond reputesmackerjack has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Le Bouveret

Have a look at www.bouveret.ch lots of info and pics there.

I think it is in French so if you don't speak run it through google translate.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02.05.2012, 21:50
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Deleted Account, Left Forum
Posts: 261
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 252 Times in 123 Posts
HarryBosch has an excellent reputationHarryBosch has an excellent reputationHarryBosch has an excellent reputationHarryBosch has an excellent reputation
Re: Le Bouveret

Hello,

I've attached a short description (PDF) for your in english with some pictures and a map.

Best wishes
Harry
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Villeneuve.pdf (356.7 KB, 350 views)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank HarryBosch for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 02.05.2012, 22:19
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Le Bouveret

Harry are you sure about Chinon, lol? The Loire Valley is quite a long way

Only jesting

Last edited by Odile; 02.05.2012 at 23:07.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02.05.2012, 22:29
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Le Bouveret
Posts: 28
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
almaaaaa has no particular reputation at present
Re: Le Bouveret

Thank you so much Harry for your replies! Much appreciated, and very very helpful!

smackerjack, I did check out the website before, but not with Google Translate. Just did that, and got a bit of info too. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm really looking forward to studying (and starting a new life) in Switzerland. Slightly nervous of course, but more towards excited.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02.05.2012, 22:30
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,459
Groaned at 175 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 4,947 Times in 1,902 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Le Bouveret

Quote:
View Post
Hey! I just joined this forum because in July I will be studying at Cesar Ritz in Le Bouveret. It's kinda challenging looking for information about Le Bouveret, I guess because it's a tiny town? Anyone here living there or maybe been there before?
great place. a friend of mine lives there and he loves it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02.05.2012, 23:05
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Deleted Account, Left Forum
Posts: 261
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 252 Times in 123 Posts
HarryBosch has an excellent reputationHarryBosch has an excellent reputationHarryBosch has an excellent reputationHarryBosch has an excellent reputation
Re: Le Bouveret

Quote:
Harry are you sure about Chinon, lol? The Loire Valley is quite a long way
He he he. Got me there.

Of course I meant this one...

http://www.chillon.ch/en/

Funny thing is I did double, triple check on Montreux (always getting the spelling mixed up with the city in Canada). Bugger.

Thanks Odile.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03.05.2012, 13:20
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Le Bouveret
Posts: 28
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
almaaaaa has no particular reputation at present
Re: Le Bouveret

Quote:
View Post
great place. a friend of mine lives there and he loves it.
Thanks! Feeling a little more confident about Le Bouveret now seeing as how many of you say its nice.

I was afraid it might be a dead town.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03.05.2012, 21:38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Deleted Account, Left Forum
Posts: 261
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 252 Times in 123 Posts
HarryBosch has an excellent reputationHarryBosch has an excellent reputationHarryBosch has an excellent reputationHarryBosch has an excellent reputation
Re: Le Bouveret

Quote:
View Post
Thanks! Feeling a little more confident about Le Bouveret now seeing as how many of you say its nice.

I was afraid it might be a dead town.
You will nevertheless find that it is rather quiet.

However. Opportunities abound in the area. Maybe you can get around on the train, bike, moped or car. Then you'll be fine.

If I had the choice. I'd probably stay outside of Bouveret, maybe on the north shore in or between Villeneuve (less expensive?) and Monteux (more expensive?) and travel in each day.

That way, you'll be on a good train line, which I think should take you to Lausanne and Geneve. Le Bouveret is not directly on that line.

Cheers,
Harry
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04.05.2012, 00:04
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Le Bouveret
Posts: 28
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
almaaaaa has no particular reputation at present
Re: Le Bouveret

Quote:
View Post
You will nevertheless find that it is rather quiet.

However. Opportunities abound in the area. Maybe you can get around on the train, bike, moped or car. Then you'll be fine.

If I had the choice. I'd probably stay outside of Bouveret, maybe on the north shore in or between Villeneuve (less expensive?) and Monteux (more expensive?) and travel in each day.

That way, you'll be on a good train line, which I think should take you to Lausanne and Geneve. Le Bouveret is not directly on that line.

Cheers,
Harry

Yes, I would imagine it would be rather quiet. I was just wondering if its a "dead" town.

I'm staying on-campus, so I don't have the option to move out. But I wont be alone I guess as there'll be other students as well.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04.05.2012, 21:43
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Le Bouveret
Posts: 28
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
almaaaaa has no particular reputation at present
Re: Le Bouveret

I'd also like to add that with Cesar Ritz, I have the choice (or rather had, I've already made my selection) of two campuses, Le Bouveret or Lucerne.

I picked Le Bouveret because I think it's the main campus, and Lucerne's campus is pretty new.

For an overseas student coming in to Switzerland to study Hospitality Management, would you all recommend Le Bouveret or Lucerne?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04.05.2012, 23:59
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Trolland
Posts: 32
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Punktlich11 has earned some respectPunktlich11 has earned some respect
Re: Le Bouveret

I own property in Bouveret although I do not live there anymore.

The region between Thonon-les-Bains and Vouvry, or perhaps Monthey, has a character all its own. I don't quite know where to begin, but I'll first list a few links:

http://www.sauvonsletonkin.com/ (regretting the termination of French rail service connecting from Evian with CFF at St-Gingolph and hoping for its restoration)

http://www.scribd.com/doc/26269399/S...ance-1940-1945 (the memoir of André Zénoni, Resistance leader at St-Gingolph; they helped some Jews escape to Switzerland and moved arms into France through a drainage tunnel near the lake)

http://www.marinaportvalais.com/engl...escription.htm (The 2006 marina project, not entirely successful, built on land formerly owned by the SBB/CFF and intended, early in the 20th Century, to be used for a switching yard when (and if) the then-privately-owned railroad got the rights to run freight service to Italy. Never happened. The Marina properties are largely owned by Brits, and vacant most of the time; only some of the property owners keep boats there, the rest of the moorings are rented out as there is a scarcity of places on the lake)

http://www.st-gingolph.ch/ (The border village, split down the middle by the River Morge. The two sides used to be, pre-War, heavily intermarried -- hence the story of "L'incendie de Saint Gingolph le 23 Juillet 1944", for which there is a memorial at the elementary school on the French side. Swiss border guards let the French citizens find refuge in Switzerland when the SS retaliated for the murder of one of their officers by laying waste to the town (think of Oradour-sur-Glane) and Swiss firefighters helped put out the fire by directing their hoses over the frontier, saving the church and other buildings. The Nazis murdered the priest (vicar to both parts of the village) and a few others who could not or would not escape across the border.)

But after the war, beyond elementary school Swiss pupils went to Vouvry or Monthey to study; and French pupils took the coach to Evian. After that they either went on to higher education in their own country, or moved away to work since there are precious few jobs in the area. They don't meet and don't marry. I asked at the French Mairie how many cross-border marriages there have been and the answer was one: between a Brazilian and a Vietnamese, as I recall. Swiss marriages are no longer handled in the commune and I haven't yet got round to asking in Monthey.

http://cgn.ch/ (The ferry line. In summer there are lots of departures for Montreux and other towns; in winter not so many.)

Bouveret, like other towns in the region, is divided between the shore-dweller and the hill-dwellers. A division by class. Valais has no university, and it's often thought of as an agricultural backwater, its people as provincial. That's not very nice, but it's what some Swiss (and French, this applies to the whole of the Tonkin) say. Talk to the barber/hairdresser M Ourceau in St-Gingolph. His father worked for a short time in New York City. These days there are many tax exiles in Bouveret: land is cheap, taxes are low by Swiss standards. And it's popular with retirees. The new Migros in Bouveret has brought culinary sophistication: before that we had just Denner downtown, or a hop to Intermarché (in Lugrin; there are limits to what can be brought back across the border but see the Swiss licence plates and watch the drivers loading up: the limits are often ignored) or to Manor in Monthey.

Hope that helps. I pass your school often but have rarely had the opportunity to speak to anyone. Other than at a reception I was invited to that was catered from there, some years ago.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05.05.2012, 10:16
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Le Bouveret
Posts: 28
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
almaaaaa has no particular reputation at present
Re: Le Bouveret

Quote:
View Post
I own property in Bouveret although I do not live there anymore.

The region between Thonon-les-Bains and Vouvry, or perhaps Monthey, has a character all its own. I don't quite know where to begin, but I'll first list a few links:

http://www.sauvonsletonkin.com/ (regretting the termination of French rail service connecting from Evian with CFF at St-Gingolph and hoping for its restoration)

http://www.scribd.com/doc/26269399/S...ance-1940-1945 (the memoir of André Zénoni, Resistance leader at St-Gingolph; they helped some Jews escape to Switzerland and moved arms into France through a drainage tunnel near the lake)

http://www.marinaportvalais.com/engl...escription.htm (The 2006 marina project, not entirely successful, built on land formerly owned by the SBB/CFF and intended, early in the 20th Century, to be used for a switching yard when (and if) the then-privately-owned railroad got the rights to run freight service to Italy. Never happened. The Marina properties are largely owned by Brits, and vacant most of the time; only some of the property owners keep boats there, the rest of the moorings are rented out as there is a scarcity of places on the lake)

http://www.st-gingolph.ch/ (The border village, split down the middle by the River Morge. The two sides used to be, pre-War, heavily intermarried -- hence the story of "L'incendie de Saint Gingolph le 23 Juillet 1944", for which there is a memorial at the elementary school on the French side. Swiss border guards let the French citizens find refuge in Switzerland when the SS retaliated for the murder of one of their officers by laying waste to the town (think of Oradour-sur-Glane) and Swiss firefighters helped put out the fire by directing their hoses over the frontier, saving the church and other buildings. The Nazis murdered the priest (vicar to both parts of the village) and a few others who could not or would not escape across the border.)

But after the war, beyond elementary school Swiss pupils went to Vouvry or Monthey to study; and French pupils took the coach to Evian. After that they either went on to higher education in their own country, or moved away to work since there are precious few jobs in the area. They don't meet and don't marry. I asked at the French Mairie how many cross-border marriages there have been and the answer was one: between a Brazilian and a Vietnamese, as I recall. Swiss marriages are no longer handled in the commune and I haven't yet got round to asking in Monthey.

http://cgn.ch/ (The ferry line. In summer there are lots of departures for Montreux and other towns; in winter not so many.)

Bouveret, like other towns in the region, is divided between the shore-dweller and the hill-dwellers. A division by class. Valais has no university, and it's often thought of as an agricultural backwater, its people as provincial. That's not very nice, but it's what some Swiss (and French, this applies to the whole of the Tonkin) say. Talk to the barber/hairdresser M Ourceau in St-Gingolph. His father worked for a short time in New York City. These days there are many tax exiles in Bouveret: land is cheap, taxes are low by Swiss standards. And it's popular with retirees. The new Migros in Bouveret has brought culinary sophistication: before that we had just Denner downtown, or a hop to Intermarché (in Lugrin; there are limits to what can be brought back across the border but see the Swiss licence plates and watch the drivers loading up: the limits are often ignored) or to Manor in Monthey.

Hope that helps. I pass your school often but have rarely had the opportunity to speak to anyone. Other than at a reception I was invited to that was catered from there, some years ago.

Hey! Thank you so much for your reply! Truly appreciate it! And yes, definitely helped.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Estavayer-le-lac isabellano9 Introductions 1 12.02.2012 23:05
Theft of two park locomotives in Le Bouveret Texaner Swiss politics/news 2 22.11.2011 15:53
Le Garage Sale! american italian girl Commercial events 1 17.08.2010 16:12


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0