English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Daily life (https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/)
-   -   Help with post office (https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/14831-help-post-office.html)

swissdawn 09.11.2007 21:43

Re: Help with post office
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EastEnders (Post 130165)
oh my oh my, I am just wondering what to expect when my order from play.com is delivered.
They send the stuff out in single packages and my first order of three items( 2 Dvd's and 1 calendar) i got without problems ,but this time I ordered 6 cd's ....................

any ideas on the amount of money i should reserve to pay taxes and custom fees,should it come to the worst??


HI Eastender
On a positive note i have had loads of stuff from play.com and never been taxed last xmas i ordered 15 dvd in one go, and never got charged
Think swiss bob must be right it must have been my angel delight that tipped them over the edge, I have rung the post office who say they carnt help and have to take it up with customs, but like everything in this country everything is shut till monday morning, have a good weekend
Dawn:rolleyes:

gregv 09.11.2007 22:02

Re: Help with post office
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cata1yst (Post 130322)
On another note somehow I managed to get away sneaking a 1000chf phone through the post today with ZERO charges, so I guess I was very lucky.

Saying that they wouldn't know what a mobile phone was. (it was written on the package, with no value declared)

I reckon if someone had put "handy" I would be facing a nice bill now :)

I've heard of them shipping the item to you, and then billing later on.

09.11.2007 22:04

Re: Help with post office
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gregv (Post 130500)
I've heard of them shipping the item to you, and then billing later on.

Yep, depends on post office (ask for payment on the spot) or UPS or similar - bill comes in the post :(.

eejit 09.11.2007 22:33

Re: Help with post office
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 130305)
Just want to reiterate then when you import something (of value) you get charged for 2 things: The admin fee of 10 francs and the VAT (MWSt in German) which is 7.6% of the value. I have never in 7 years of ordering stuff from abroad had to pay any other fees, but then again I've never had food sent to me from outside Switzerland so perhaps I'm missing something in the regulations.

That only applies when it's handled by the Swiss Post. One of the big courier companies (UPS, DHL or similar) sent me a Fr.70 customs handling fee for goods worth Fr.200. As gregv and swissbob mentioned, the bill came separately.

I now make sure I'm sent stuff by normal post so that it will be handled by the Swiss Post at the border and incur only their minimal fees, even if it means waiting a few days longer.

Smitty 09.11.2007 23:36

Re: Help with post office
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by eejit (Post 130504)
That only applies when it's handled by the Swiss Post. One of the big courier companies (UPS, DHL or similar) sent me a Fr.70 customs handling fee for goods worth Fr.200. As gregv and swissbob mentioned, the bill came separately.

I now make sure I'm sent stuff by normal post so that it will be handled by the Swiss Post at the border and incur only their minimal fees, even if it means waiting a few days longer.


Absolutely, forgot about that. Had the misfortune of having something rushed a few years back and suffered from that fate. Was the first and last time I did that, only normal post from now on :)

Crumbs 09.11.2007 23:46

Re: Help with post office
 
The handling fee varies from carrier to carrier. And even within the same company, depending on which customs point the parcel goes through. I.e. if it goes through Basel - road freight or via Zurich, airfreight. Post office charges CHF 50.00 for one and about CHF 10.00 for the other, but can't remember which or exact fees. Fact is, you can't decide or find out beforehand as recipient which way the parcel is coming from.

The charging of tax can also be quite random. Sometimes you can be billed, sometimes it will get to you with no extra charge - just don't count on it.

When you send out a parcel from Switzerland (over 2kgs) you normally choose what happens to it if it cannot be delivered (for whatever reason). If you choose "return to sender", then you will get the parcel back again - but will have to pay the return postage costs.

Shorrick Mk2 10.11.2007 00:53

Re: Help with post office
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by swissdawn (Post 130497)
, but like everything in this country everything is shut till monday morning

I agree, that is terrible. Are you working this weekend?

10.11.2007 09:51

Re: Help with post office
 
If the package was sent to you "Express" then the basic fee for express handling is CHF 35.- and not CHF 10.- as it would normally be.

If the values had no declared value then the post should do a procedure to find out the value that costs CHF 20.-, this could be contacting you to declare and give proof of the value or simply they look out for the normal market value.

Add to this the tax and you'll get near to 65 CHF.

mannie organ 10.11.2007 12:41

Re: Help with post office
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EastEnders (Post 130165)
oh my oh my, I am just wondering what to expect when my order from play.com is delivered.
They send the stuff out in single packages and my first order of three items( 2 Dvd's and 1 calendar) i got without problems ,but this time I ordered 6 cd's ....................

any ideas on the amount of money i should reserve to pay taxes and custom fees,should it come to the worst??




Order 1 item at a time. You will never be charged tax. Remember it is free delivery so you have nothing to loose:)


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:19.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0