Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 09.11.2007, 14:36
Lou's Avatar
Lou Lou is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,783
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 3,227 Times in 1,474 Posts
Lou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Opened parcels and privacy

Quote:
View Post
The question was about parcels and privacy. Should privacy not be expected?
No I don't think so, it is probably in the terms & conditions of the use of the postal service that they have the right to investigate i.e. open any parcel they want. I don't know for sure but I would presume that would be the case or else the postal service would be used to transport all manner of illegal goods.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09.11.2007, 14:40
hugh_abu's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 830
Groaned at 53 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 459 Times in 261 Posts
hugh_abu has an excellent reputationhugh_abu has an excellent reputationhugh_abu has an excellent reputationhugh_abu has an excellent reputation
Re: Opened parcels and privacy

Beat this. The bank that I work for sends everyone's private bank statements without an envelope through the internal post.

Then in the morning the internal post lady just places them in a tray on the coridor.

"Hmmm... John's doing alright for cash." etc.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09.11.2007, 14:51
swissbob
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Opened parcels and privacy

Quote:
View Post
No I don't think so, it is probably in the terms & conditions of the use of the postal service that they have the right to investigate i.e. open any parcel they want. I don't know for sure but I would presume that would be the case or else the postal service would be used to transport all manner of illegal goods.
The difference is, to open a package the Postal Service have to have reasonable cause while customs can do what they like.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09.11.2007, 15:00
Lou's Avatar
Lou Lou is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,783
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 3,227 Times in 1,474 Posts
Lou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Opened parcels and privacy

Quote:
View Post
The difference is, to open a package the Postal Service have to have reasonable cause while customs can do what they like.
That makes sense to me!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09.11.2007, 15:00
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,382
Groaned at 314 Times in 210 Posts
Thanked 9,817 Times in 3,453 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Opened parcels and privacy

Quote:
View Post
Beat this. The bank that I work for sends everyone's private bank statements without an envelope through the internal post.

Then in the morning the internal post lady just places them in a tray on the coridor.

"Hmmm... John's doing alright for cash." etc.
If this is true, it is absurd and you and your colleagues have every right to demand a change.

Care to name and shame the bank?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09.11.2007, 15:05
hugh_abu's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 830
Groaned at 53 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 459 Times in 261 Posts
hugh_abu has an excellent reputationhugh_abu has an excellent reputationhugh_abu has an excellent reputationhugh_abu has an excellent reputation
Re: Opened parcels and privacy

I would, but I don't like your bold "if" and the insinuation that I am lying.

So shove off.


Quote:
View Post
If this is true, it is absurd and you and your colleagues have every right to demand a change.

Care to name and shame the bank?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09.11.2007, 15:07
chiguy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 511
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 322 Times in 190 Posts
chiguy has an excellent reputationchiguy has an excellent reputationchiguy has an excellent reputationchiguy has an excellent reputation
Re: Opened parcels and privacy

Quote:
View Post
Hmmm. Perhaps "Where's my Teddy?" might not have elicited the same response after all
I guess that depends on what kind of Teddy we're talking about, doesn't it?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank chiguy for this useful post:
  #28  
Old 09.11.2007, 15:56
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,382
Groaned at 314 Times in 210 Posts
Thanked 9,817 Times in 3,453 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Opened parcels and privacy

Quote:
View Post
I would, but I don't like your bold "if" and the insinuation that I am lying.

So shove off.
It really is too absurd to be true - and the fact that no-one in their right mind would put up with this for more than once forces me to put a fat IF there. Funny you don't like it...
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09.11.2007, 16:00
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Appenzell
Posts: 5,618
Groaned at 100 Times in 87 Posts
Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,331 Posts
DaveA has a reputation beyond reputeDaveA has a reputation beyond reputeDaveA has a reputation beyond reputeDaveA has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Opened parcels and privacy

Tetchy ? So John is earning more than you ?

dave

Quote:
View Post
I would, but I don't like your bold "if" and the insinuation that I am lying.

So shove off.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank DaveA for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 09.11.2007, 16:04
Lob's Avatar
Lob Lob is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: -
Posts: 7,814
Groaned at 45 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 1,973 Times in 1,060 Posts
Lob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Opened parcels and privacy

Quote:
View Post
I would, but I don't like your bold "if" and the insinuation that I am lying.

So shove off.
I wonder where in the greater scheme of things you actually do fit, Hugh. I fully understand the chap who has to eat everything in his bowl in certain countries but remember to leave a little bit in others - but surely the Swiss have not signed up for an all-you-can-abuse service at their favourite bank?
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 09.11.2007, 16:08
swissbob
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Opened parcels and privacy

Quote:
View Post
It really is too absurd to be true - and the fact that no-one in their right mind would put up with this for more than once forces me to put a fat IF there. Funny you don't like it...
.. and it would be in contravention of the (less than adequate) Swiss data protection legislation and, much more importantly, the (more than adequate) Swiss Banking Secrecy Law. Seriously, someone could go to prison.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09.11.2007, 16:28
saharanz's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 409
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 258 Times in 138 Posts
saharanz has an excellent reputationsaharanz has an excellent reputationsaharanz has an excellent reputationsaharanz has an excellent reputation
Re: Opened parcels and privacy

I've received 3 packages in the time that I've been living here and all of them had been opened. Books from lonely planet -not quite as good as sex god!-, undies from the uk, which they charged my tax on and the latest xmas pressie from my mother which they also charged me heaps of tax on -still trying to sort that one out. So it seems to be the norm here.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank saharanz for this useful post:
  #33  
Old 09.11.2007, 17:18
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 5,531
Groaned at 123 Times in 108 Posts
Thanked 3,297 Times in 1,737 Posts
Shorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Opened parcels and privacy

Quote:
View Post
.. and it would be in contravention of the (less than adequate) Swiss data protection legislation and, much more importantly, the (more than adequate) Swiss Banking Secrecy Law. Seriously, someone could go to prison.

Actually, not quite. The banks only have to ensure sensitive client data is not accessed by anyone not being an employee.

That's why having an account at the bank you work at is never a good idea.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09.11.2007, 17:33
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Appenzell
Posts: 5,618
Groaned at 100 Times in 87 Posts
Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,331 Posts
DaveA has a reputation beyond reputeDaveA has a reputation beyond reputeDaveA has a reputation beyond reputeDaveA has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Opened parcels and privacy

...and why many of them insist that you do.
dave

Quote:
View Post
Actually, not quite. The banks only have to ensure sensitive client data is not accessed by anyone not being an employee.

That's why having an account at the bank you work at is never a good idea.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09.11.2007, 17:42
swissbob
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Opened parcels and privacy

Quote:
View Post
Actually, not quite. The banks only have to ensure sensitive client data is not accessed by anyone not being an employee.

That's why having an account at the bank you work at is never a good idea.
Actually, by anyone who doesn't need access to that data as part of their job and then according to controlled and audited procedures. For client data, it is not restricted to sensitive data but to any data that could lead to identification of a living person (if you're dead you lose your right to privacy).

Also, most banks would insist that employees have accounts only with them to avoid conflict of interest - I certainly know 1 of the big 2 does this. Therefore, and this is the good bit, employees are also clients and get the extra protection the banking secrecy laws afford over the data protection legislation.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09.11.2007, 17:58
Suermel's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 170
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 24 Times in 20 Posts
Suermel has no particular reputation at present
Re: Opened parcels and privacy

Quote:
View Post
Also, most banks would insist that employees have accounts only with them to avoid conflict of interest - I certainly know 1 of the big 2 does this. Therefore, and this is the good bit, employees are also clients and get the extra protection the banking secrecy laws afford over the data protection legislation.
yup, the bank I worked for had this too. Furthermore, access to other employee's accounts was restricted, 'normal' employees didn't get to see them.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mail, parcel, post, privacy




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
kiss privacy goodbye (track cellphones via gps) Fraser Jokes/funnies 6 16.07.2007 23:03
Reasons to maintain your privacy and watch what you post.... Lob General off-topic 13 07.06.2007 16:45
Internet privacy laws in Switzerland jamaicanRUM TV/internet/telephone 4 15.01.2007 23:10


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0