Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 26.06.2012, 14:04
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pfaffikon ZH
Posts: 259
Groaned at 8 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 185 Times in 77 Posts
loulabelle has no particular reputation at present
Swiss chocolate the best in the world?

Just thought i would open a discussion point here,
Been eating far too much of the darn stuff since i got here and the new slim ultra healthy image i had of myself once i moved here has got out the window for the mean time until i wean myself off the stuff.
But i have to say, having been given some Dairy Milk by a visiting friend i am not sure yet if the swiss chcolate has the edge on cadburys!
Am i just eating the wrong stuff or am i right? Lol
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank loulabelle for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 26.06.2012, 14:14
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 847
Groaned at 27 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 1,044 Times in 364 Posts
Panther has a reputation beyond reputePanther has a reputation beyond reputePanther has a reputation beyond reputePanther has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss chocolate the best in the world?

Quote:
View Post
Just thought i would open a discussion point here,
Been eating far too much of the darn stuff since i got here and the new slim ultra healthy image i had of myself once i moved here has got out the window for the mean time until i wean myself off the stuff.
But i have to say, having been given some Dairy Milk by a visiting friend i am not sure yet if the swiss chcolate has the edge on cadburys!
Am i just eating the wrong stuff or am i right? Lol
yea, you are eating the wrong stuff. You do know Frey is the swiss equivalent to CAdburys, and even that is a millions times better.
Small bakeries are your best bet. My favorite is in Monchaltorf,, a small bakery, that makes a special truffle only from October to March, as the cocoa butter content is so high it would melt during the warmer months, they sell for a box of 10 -Sfr20, a piece of heaven on earth!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 26.06.2012, 14:19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Walchwil
Posts: 271
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 172 Times in 105 Posts
Griet has made some interesting contributions
Re: Swiss chocolate the best in the world?

It is clear you haven't eaten any Belgian chocolate yet... The best in the world without any doubt!
Reply With Quote
The following 10 users would like to thank Griet for this useful post:
This user groans at Griet for this post:
  #4  
Old 26.06.2012, 14:20
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Basel land
Posts: 220
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 160 Times in 62 Posts
antongiu has earned some respectantongiu has earned some respect
Re: Swiss chocolate the best in the world?

Quote:
View Post
Just thought i would open a discussion point here,
Been eating far too much of the darn stuff since i got here and the new slim ultra healthy image i had of myself once i moved here has got out the window for the mean time until i wean myself off the stuff.
But i have to say, having been given some Dairy Milk by a visiting friend i am not sure yet if the swiss chcolate has the edge on cadburys!
Am i just eating the wrong stuff or am i right? Lol
Cadbury? the sugar with chocolate in it? bleah!
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank antongiu for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 26.06.2012, 14:28
gata's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Geneva
Posts: 3,888
Groaned at 67 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 3,629 Times in 1,702 Posts
gata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss chocolate the best in the world?

Best chocolates for me are Cadburys and Nutella. And yes i tried loads of different Swiss and Belgian chocolates and they are really nice but.....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 26.06.2012, 14:32
Puhutes's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: val Müstair
Posts: 1,017
Groaned at 22 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 606 Times in 318 Posts
Puhutes has an excellent reputationPuhutes has an excellent reputationPuhutes has an excellent reputationPuhutes has an excellent reputation
Re: Swiss chocolate the best in the world?

Then I guess the Cadbury in North America is much different than what you can get in the UK... because the crap I used to buy back home was maybe 10% chocolate and 90% sugar and whatever else... It was sweet to the point your teeth would practically fall out... So yes, I personally prefer the chocolate here to the chocolate back home. I usually pig out on various kinds of Lindt
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Puhutes for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 26.06.2012, 14:41
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pfaffikon ZH
Posts: 259
Groaned at 8 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 185 Times in 77 Posts
loulabelle has no particular reputation at present
Re: Swiss chocolate the best in the world?

Quote:
View Post
Then I guess the Cadbury in North America is much different than what you can get in the UK... because the crap I used to buy back home was maybe 10% chocolate and 90% sugar and whatever else... It was sweet to the point your teeth would practically fall out... So yes, I personally prefer the chocolate here to the chocolate back home. I usually pig out on various kinds of Lindt
Most american chcolate is pants though by reputation though isnt it?
Uk proper cadburys as like an orgasm in your mouth! Lol
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank loulabelle for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 26.06.2012, 14:44
grumpygrapefruit's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NL, UK & sometimes ZH
Posts: 6,385
Groaned at 38 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 17,590 Times in 4,500 Posts
grumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss chocolate the best in the world?

Quote:
View Post
Most american chcolate is pants though by reputation though isnt it?
Uk proper cadburys as like an orgasm in your mouth! Lol
If you really think that I can only surmise that you've been doing something wrong in bed all your life.

Cadburys is just vegetable fat and sugar with some chocolate thrown in.
Reply With Quote
The following 13 users would like to thank grumpygrapefruit for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 26.06.2012, 14:44
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Swiss chocolate the best in the world?

Most "fine Chocolate" from Germany, Belgium, United States, France and UK are made on an assembly line by a machine. We looked at purchasing confectionery companies a few years back and were in shock that companies like Kraft and Cambells soup had bought half of them. Thats one of the only things that the Swiss have on the competition is that majority of its "fine chocolates" are still made by an artisan.

In Lausanne there is a small chocolatier called Durig, which is a great example of what I am talking about. I am anything but a Swiss food fanatic. I think Switzerlands "high quality" bullshiit talk is over-done. But when it comes to Chocolate I think they do have a very solid reputation when compared to others in the world.

Of course Switzerland is helped by the fact that companies like Barry Callebaut are based here That ensures us a cornered market for the best inputs.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 26.06.2012, 14:45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pfaffikon ZH
Posts: 259
Groaned at 8 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 185 Times in 77 Posts
loulabelle has no particular reputation at present
Re: Swiss chocolate the best in the world?

Not been blown away by frey, only thing i think of theirs is the orange mahony or whatever its called.
Lindtt is my chocolate chiice for the mo, but making sure i get plenty of orders to friends or family when they come to visit for the good stuff! Lol
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 26.06.2012, 14:46
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Swiss chocolate the best in the world?

Quote:
View Post
Then I guess the Cadbury in North America is much different than what you can get in the UK... because the crap I used to buy back home was maybe 10% chocolate and 90% sugar and whatever else... It was sweet to the point your teeth would practically fall out... So yes, I personally prefer the chocolate here to the chocolate back home. I usually pig out on various kinds of Lindt
North American Cadbury chocolate, actually made by Hershey, is awful, when compared with the real stuff made in the UK. And I don't understand how you could complain about chocolate being sweet - that's the whole point!

For me, there are different 'best' chocolates.
CDM is the best bar-form milk chocolate, including Whole Nut and other derivatives. Actually less sweet, or less sickly-sweet at least, than most of the equivalents made in CH.
Pralines, or just filled chocolates, are pretty good in Switzerland, but not a patch on the Belgian stuff.
Dark chocolate is less brand-relevant - for me, it's all too bitter, the higher %age the more so.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 26.06.2012, 14:47
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,232
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,934 Times in 4,178 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss chocolate the best in the world?

Quote:
View Post
It is clear you haven't eaten any Belgian chocolate yet... The best in the world without any doubt!
Bollox. Boring and all tastes the same.

As for Cadbury's vs. Swiss - it is different. Enjoy the difference (except for Belgian stuff - which all tastes the same .)
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Carlos R for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 26.06.2012, 14:51
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Swiss chocolate the best in the world?

Ha ha, Youre not Flemish are you Carlos?

Quote:
View Post
Bollox. Boring and all tastes the same.

As for Cadbury's vs. Swiss - it is different. Enjoy the difference (except for Belgian stuff - which all tastes the same .)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 26.06.2012, 14:55
Belgianmum's Avatar
Roastbeef & Yorkshire mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 13,475
Groaned at 251 Times in 212 Posts
Thanked 22,650 Times in 9,250 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss chocolate the best in the world?

Quote:
View Post
Bollox. Boring and all tastes the same.

As for Cadbury's vs. Swiss - it is different. Enjoy the difference (except for Belgian stuff - which all tastes the same .)
You've obviously not been eating the right stuff then.

The mass produced Belgian chocolates (the seashell pralines etc) are incredibly boring and do all taste the same (which just about sums up my experiences of most Swiss chocolate too). Proper Belgian chocolate made by real artisans is something completely different.

Cadbury's is nice and brings back memories but classifying it as chocolate is in reality probably stretching things a bit.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 26.06.2012, 14:57
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,232
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,934 Times in 4,178 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss chocolate the best in the world?

Quote:
View Post
Cadbury's is nice and brings back memories but classifying it as chocolate is in reality probably stretching things a bit.
I have a vague recolection of a propsed EU law from a few years back which would have classed most UK manufacterers as makers of "chocolate substitutes" due to the low levels of cocoa, and high levels of cocoa milk!

For now though, it remains classed as chocolate.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 26.06.2012, 15:06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pfaffikon ZH
Posts: 259
Groaned at 8 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 185 Times in 77 Posts
loulabelle has no particular reputation at present
Re: Swiss chocolate the best in the world?

Need to get out and go and have a look at some of these smaller chocolate shops then, see if they will let me sample all their stock.
Do you think if i write to all chocolate producers around the world asking if i could sample all their chocolates for my research on this matter i would get very far?
If anyone wants to fund this project feel free to let me know! Haha
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 26.06.2012, 15:06
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Swiss chocolate the best in the world?

Quote:
View Post
I have a vague recolection of a propsed EU law from a few years back which would have classed most UK manufacterers as makers of "chocolate substitutes" due to the low levels of cocoa, and high levels of cocoa milk!

For now though, it remains classed as chocolate.
Urban miff, I think. On a par with 'high-fat emulsified offal tubes'.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 26.06.2012, 15:07
Puhutes's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: val Müstair
Posts: 1,017
Groaned at 22 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 606 Times in 318 Posts
Puhutes has an excellent reputationPuhutes has an excellent reputationPuhutes has an excellent reputationPuhutes has an excellent reputation
Re: Swiss chocolate the best in the world?

Quote:
North American Cadbury chocolate, actually made by Hershey, is awful, when compared with the real stuff made in the UK. And I don't understand how you could complain about chocolate being sweet - that's the whole point!
Okay, that explains a heck of a lot!! Just thinking back to that 5 pound Hershey bar I once won makes me want to ... However, I do occassionally miss their Twizzlers, Nibbs and Goodies PS... I prefer dark chocolate (more bitter... not exactly very sweet)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 26.06.2012, 15:10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pfaffikon ZH
Posts: 259
Groaned at 8 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 185 Times in 77 Posts
loulabelle has no particular reputation at present
Re: Swiss chocolate the best in the world?

Quote:
View Post
Okay, that explains a heck of a lot!! Just thinking back to that 5 pound Hershey bar I once won makes me want to ... However, I do occassionally miss their Twizzlers, Nibbs and Goodies PS... I prefer dark chocolate (more bitter... not exactly very sweet)
When i first tried hersheys i nearly threw it up again, it was horrid, for a country so in love with candy they just dont get chocolate!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank loulabelle for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 26.06.2012, 15:13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 70
Groaned at 5 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 52 Times in 24 Posts
Buakaw has made some interesting contributions
Re: Swiss chocolate the best in the world?

None of you obviosuly haven't tried the Danish handmade choclate

http://frellsen.dk/chokolade/

Joke aside, I am not much of chocolate man myself but on arrival here I got given a box of Lindtt choclates and now I just have to have one, two, three pieces every night with my espresso.... Box nearly empty now - what to do
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chocolate




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is this the best gin in the world? walterguariento Food and drink 68 05.10.2011 01:40
Best chocolate brand in the world whostolemycheese Food and drink 50 16.08.2010 23:31
Los Angeles is the best city in the world scrambled General off-topic 72 14.04.2010 15:48
Search for the best chocolate.... haha Food and drink 21 12.02.2010 17:23


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0