Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 09.07.2012, 00:39
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Zug
Posts: 693
Groaned at 25 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 781 Times in 358 Posts
xkcd has a reputation beyond reputexkcd has a reputation beyond reputexkcd has a reputation beyond reputexkcd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Junkies getting a fix in the middle of the day in center Bern

Quote:
View Post
Solution simple, shoot the buggers like they do in Malaisia, sorry I would not know what else to do.
The "just say 'NO'" approach don't work, the live and let live approach don't work, all education and threats and therapy and god knows what else over the last enlightened 50 liberalalala years don't work.
What's left?
Can society live with junkies? Simple yes or no!
Yes. An open society has to live with junkies and other non-mainstream elements.
When you consider shooting people who live at the fringe as a valid alternative I am tempted to question whether society can live with people like you.
Reply With Quote
The following 10 users would like to thank xkcd for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 09.07.2012, 00:43
quark's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Aargh-Ow!
Posts: 1,321
Groaned at 12 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,838 Times in 756 Posts
quark has a reputation beyond reputequark has a reputation beyond reputequark has a reputation beyond reputequark has a reputation beyond reputequark has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Junkies getting a fix in the middle of the day in center Bern

This is a regular sight for me around the heroin dispensary near Johanniterbrücke in Basel - at the bus stops, by the Rhein, in doorways. I barely notice now.

I haven't seen the facts and figures for myself, but I presume that the policy of the state handing out heroin is working well - otherwise they would have stopped by now. And if it reduces crime and improves health compared to prohibition, then I'm all for it - but it would be nice if the centre also provided more needle disposal units, as the ground is littered with them.

One of the saddest sights I ever saw was two 13-14 year old girls shooting up heroin in Madrid in the street. They were right opposite a police station and just meters from a chic shopping area, and nobody gave a second glance. It's such a shame when people so young drop through the protection of family, law and society before their lives have even begun.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank quark for this useful post:
  #23  
Old 09.07.2012, 12:26
Lou's Avatar
Lou Lou is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,778
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 3,227 Times in 1,474 Posts
Lou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Junkies getting a fix in the middle of the day in center Bern

It does work, Switzerland has one of the highest drug rehabilitation rates in the World and the normal drug related crimes are pretty much non-existent here.

Quote:
View Post
I haven't seen the facts and figures for myself, but I presume that the policy of the state handing out heroin is working well - otherwise they would have stopped by now.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Lou for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 09.07.2012, 12:33
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Junkies getting a fix in the middle of the day in center Bern

Quote:
View Post
and the normal drug related crimes are pretty much non-existent here.
Give me a friggin break!! You know how much stuff gets underreported here?! FYI. Last week alone, 4 people got shot (3 died) from gun crimes in 3 unrelated incidents. Do you see how much media coverage is done on that? Hardly none! .....do you think the smaller stuff will even make it in the news?!

Last edited by lost_inbroad; 09.07.2012 at 13:04.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank lost_inbroad for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 09.07.2012, 12:36
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bern
Posts: 18
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
cynic has no particular reputation at present
Re: Junkies getting a fix in the middle of the day in center Bern

Quote:
View Post
I checked on google maps to find this place but I have no luck. There were a lot of cars and some buses on the parking, it is metered parking with 3h MAX time. There is grafiti under the bridge or tunnel on one side and residential area like houses on the other. I think this parking was marked by signs when you follow Bern Zentrum and than Bahnhof signs for parking when you get off the highway coming from Geneva.
This is the place you mean:
http://goo.gl/maps/x5Lg

It's called Schützenmatt.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank cynic for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 09.07.2012, 12:53
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,335
Groaned at 151 Times in 106 Posts
Thanked 9,297 Times in 3,535 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Junkies getting a fix in the middle of the day in center Bern

Quote:
View Post
Yes. An open society has to live with junkies and other non-mainstream elements.
When you consider shooting people who live at the fringe as a valid alternative I am tempted to question whether society can live with people like you.
Yeah! But I think you misread my post, or at least got it down in the way it was not intended.
Don't be so literal
I do not have much sympathy for drug users, that much is true, in the end it was their choice to use drugs and unless one of them buggers attacks me for drug money I don't care if they live or die.
Please don't say that it wasn't their fault, it is. But live and let live, they are under my radar.
However dealers, the scum supplying the demand, the predators getting kids hooked?
Hmm!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09.07.2012, 13:05
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: geneve
Posts: 734
Groaned at 287 Times in 110 Posts
Thanked 1,374 Times in 546 Posts
idefix has earned the respect of manyidefix has earned the respect of manyidefix has earned the respect of many
Re: Junkies getting a fix in the middle of the day in center Bern

Quote:
View Post
This is the place you mean:
http://goo.gl/maps/x5Lg

It's called Schützenmatt.
Thank you, this is the exact place. I parked just at the entrance on the right side when you enter.

I have understanding for drug addicts, they deserve proper chance to become drug free and proper facilities for rehab. But I can not understand drug addicts in the center of the city where people are walking shooting up heroin in their feet and crotches. Last time I checked, this was illegal! Why they don't go to jail? If I do something illegal on the street, sure as hell they gonna bust my ass the same second. Give them a chance, 1, 2, 3 times take them off the street, give them a chance to rehab and if they continue to fail and end up like this, put their asses into jail. I thought drug dealers and drug abusers were sent off to jail for this as drug use and drug sell is illegal.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09.07.2012, 13:33
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,736
Groaned at 72 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 3,970 Times in 2,141 Posts
rainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Junkies getting a fix in the middle of the day in center Bern

Quote:
View Post
How the hell are you supposed to know that this can be a junkie place when you are like 200 meters away from the main train station and like 500m away from the Parliament of Switzerland?
I'm usually more concerned about the drug-users inside the parliament (any parliament, really).
Those outside can't do much harm ;-)
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank rainer_d for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 09.07.2012, 13:44
MrsSerendipity's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,648
Groaned at 11 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 1,416 Times in 704 Posts
MrsSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeMrsSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeMrsSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeMrsSerendipity has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Junkies getting a fix in the middle of the day in center Bern

Quote:
View Post
No man, the blue light makes 'em sick.
Blue light makes it difficult to see your veins...
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09.07.2012, 13:44
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,736
Groaned at 72 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 3,970 Times in 2,141 Posts
rainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Junkies getting a fix in the middle of the day in center Bern

Quote:
View Post
Thank you, this is the exact place. I parked just at the entrance on the right side when you enter.

I have understanding for drug addicts, they deserve proper chance to become drug free and proper facilities for rehab. But I can not understand drug addicts in the center of the city where people are walking shooting up heroin in their feet and crotches. Last time I checked, this was illegal! Why they don't go to jail? If I do something illegal on the street, sure as hell they gonna bust my ass the same second. Give them a chance, 1, 2, 3 times take them off the street, give them a chance to rehab and if they continue to fail and end up like this, put their asses into jail. I thought drug dealers and drug abusers were sent off to jail for this as drug use and drug sell is illegal.
Do you know how much a day in prison costs the taxpayer (you and me)?:
Upto 300 CHF, according to this link, in 2010:
http://www.beobachter.ch/justiz-beho...gefaengnissen/

There's no point in incarcerating these people - prisons are full of drugs anyway and the chances of a rehab are probably bigger on the outside.

Do you think the the 164 countries above Switzerland in this list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rceration_rate
are much saver because they have larger prisons and more people inside?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank rainer_d for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 09.07.2012, 13:53
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Junkies getting a fix in the middle of the day in center Bern

Quote:
View Post
Yeah! But I think you misread my post, or at least got it down in the way it was not intended.
Don't be so literal
I do not have much sympathy for drug users, that much is true, in the end it was their choice to use drugs and unless one of them buggers attacks me for drug money I don't care if they live or die.
Please don't say that it wasn't their fault, it is. But live and let live, they are under my radar.
However dealers, the scum supplying the demand, the predators getting kids hooked?
Hmm!
As you've inadvertently pointed out in your own post, drug use isn't always voluntary. Dealers have an interest in widening their market and one of the ways of doing this is to suck kids and other vulnerable people into it. Once they're hooked they just become another junkie and it seems society just discards them.

As to the locations where drug use takes place, the police just seem to keep tabs on it and make sure it doesn't get out of hand. Their main interest is in the dealers and the associated violence.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #32  
Old 09.07.2012, 14:03
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,758
Groaned at 284 Times in 189 Posts
Thanked 18,646 Times in 7,832 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Junkies getting a fix in the middle of the day in center Bern

Quote:
View Post
Solution simple, shoot the buggers like they do in Malaisia, sorry I would not know what else to do.
The "just say 'NO'" approach don't work, the live and let live approach don't work, all education and threats and therapy and god knows what else over the last enlightened 50 liberalalala years don't work.
What's left?
Can society live with junkies? Simple yes or no!
shooting people. the universal solution to all problems!

i guess this would only drive the problem underground - which may not necessarily be a good thing...
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09.07.2012, 14:05
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,335
Groaned at 151 Times in 106 Posts
Thanked 9,297 Times in 3,535 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Junkies getting a fix in the middle of the day in center Bern

Quote:
As you've inadvertently pointed out in your own post, drug use isn't always voluntary. Dealers have an interest in widening their market and one of the ways of doing this is to suck kids and other vulnerable people into it. Once they're hooked they just become another junkie and it seems society just discards them.

As to the locations where drug use takes place, the police just seem to keep tabs on it and make sure it doesn't get out of hand. Their main interest is in the dealers and the associated violence.
Except in the movie "the French connection" I don't think that pushers actually insert the needle in the junkies arm. Even the most stupid kids "should" know enough to make a choice.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09.07.2012, 14:13
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Junkies getting a fix in the middle of the day in center Bern

Quote:
View Post
Except in the movie "the French connection" I don't think that pushers actually insert the needle in the junkies arm. Even the most stupid kids "should" know enough to make a choice.
Someone shows them how to do it, where to buy it, etc.

I thought I was green but that is possibly the most naive comment I have ever read on this forum.

Kid from broken home meets scumbag dealer, dealer gains trust, kid is putty in his hand.

If even the most stupid kids were savvy enough to rebuff these sharks do you think there would be a drug problem at all?

Of course there are kids that get into it because they are bored, rebellious or whatever but don't assume for a moment that these dealers don't know every trick in the book to hook kids into their net. It's a business to them.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #35  
Old 09.07.2012, 14:25
Lou's Avatar
Lou Lou is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,778
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 3,227 Times in 1,474 Posts
Lou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Junkies getting a fix in the middle of the day in center Bern

Yes the major crap goes on but there is way less of the muggings, house breakings and such like that are normally associated with drug related crime.

Quote:
View Post
Give me a friggin break!! You know how much stuff gets underreported here?! FYI. Last week alone, 4 people got shot (3 died) from gun crimes in 3 unrelated incidents. Do you see how much media coverage is done on that? Hardly none! .....do you think the smaller stuff will even make it in the news?!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Lou for this useful post:
  #36  
Old 09.07.2012, 14:54
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Junkies getting a fix in the middle of the day in center Bern

Quote:
View Post

One of the saddest sights I ever saw was two 13-14 year old girls shooting up heroin in Madrid in the street. They were right opposite a police station and just meters from a chic shopping area, and nobody gave a second glance. It's such a shame when people so young drop through the protection of family, law and society before their lives have even begun.
My similar sad sight was in Istanbul, seeing young boys (7-13 years old) sniffing glue.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 09.07.2012, 14:54
poptart's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,785
Groaned at 33 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 3,013 Times in 1,242 Posts
poptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Junkies getting a fix in the middle of the day in center Bern

Quote:
View Post
No man, the blue light makes 'em sick.
No, it makes it impossible to find a vein.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 09.07.2012, 14:58
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,335
Groaned at 151 Times in 106 Posts
Thanked 9,297 Times in 3,535 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Junkies getting a fix in the middle of the day in center Bern

Quote:
Someone shows them how to do it, where to buy it, etc.

I thought I was green but that is possibly the most naive comment I have ever read on this forum.

Kid from broken home meets scumbag dealer, dealer gains trust, kid is putty in his hand.

If even the most stupid kids were savvy enough to rebuff these sharks do you think there would be a drug problem at all?

Of course there are kids that get into it because they are bored, rebellious or whatever but don't assume for a moment that these dealers don't know every trick in the book to hook kids into their net. It's a business to them.
Agreed, and that is the poodles core, broken homes, how would you fix them? I do not think that you can tar the kids with the same brush, kids know right from wrong. In the end it's a personal choice.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10.07.2012, 11:05
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Nordwestschweiz
Posts: 288
Groaned at 6 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 264 Times in 117 Posts
IronAngle is considered knowledgeableIronAngle is considered knowledgeableIronAngle is considered knowledgeable
Re: Junkies getting a fix in the middle of the day in center Bern

Since it was the first time you saw something like that I can understand you being pretty shocked. I was quite surprised myself when I was walking down the stairs that lead to Stampfenbachstrasse (2 minutes away from the HB) and saw somebody sitting at the bottom shooting up in broad daylight.

I can see why parents wouldn't want their children to be exposed to this, but at the same time it gives them a more realistic and less glorified image of the drug scene. Seeing the junkies in the streets will probably discourage people from drug use.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10.07.2012, 11:13
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Junkies getting a fix in the middle of the day in center Bern

Quote:
View Post
Seeing the junkies in the streets will probably discourage people from drug use.
You are right...if you have a junkie currently living at home..make sure he/she's out on the streets so that in a few years, we'll rid the entire world from drugs......
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank lost_inbroad for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New add in the middle of thread porsch1909 Forum support 18 16.11.2011 17:09
Getting to the Ecumenical Center in Geneva Guest Transportation/driving 3 26.05.2011 22:03
Marketing Call in Middle of the night marko167 TV/internet/telephone 2 12.12.2008 13:15


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0