Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08.08.2012, 16:10
nickatbasel's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Albisrieden
Posts: 5,171
Groaned at 155 Times in 94 Posts
Thanked 7,924 Times in 2,937 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Door-to-door Salesman

One for the EF firm of armchair lawyers.

Yesterday, some chap called MrsNickatbasel in the morning wanting to sell some kind of special keyrings where if your housekeys get lost, they can be mailed back to you if someone finds them. She told them "not interested" and the conversation ended.

This morning, a chap rings our doorbell - he was outside our apartment door i.e. had managed to get past the main building door - wanting to sell the same.

I asked him how he got in and he said he had rung a neighbour's doorbell and they had let him in. I told this chap he was not welcome in our building - there was recently a burglary in a nearby block on the 3rd floor where they climbed up balconies, got in through an open French window and stole a widescreen TV. So duly escorted said chap - under much protest - from our building.

As far as I'm concerned this is someone just casing the joint to see who is in, what stuff they have that is worth climbing to the 3rd floor for etc etc.

He threatened to report me for "wirtschaftliche behunderung" - so told him he's welcome to advertise his stuff on the internet or put publicity material through any letterbox that does not have "Keine Werbung" stickers on it.

I've googled for the term "wirtschaftliche behinderung" - nothing in the Swiss Law of Obligations I could find. Anyone heard of this one?

Also, anyone know what the law is about door-to-door salesmen entering a shared apartment building?

With hindsight perhaps I should notify the police - what does the panel think?

Cheers,
Nick
__________________

This user would like to thank nickatbasel for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 08.08.2012, 16:21
The_Love_Doctor's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zugerberg, Zug
Posts: 3,265
Groaned at 72 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 3,700 Times in 1,746 Posts
The_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Door-to-door Salesman

Slap him a couple of times next time!
  #3  
Old 08.08.2012, 16:23
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,231
Groaned at 107 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 2,060 Times in 687 Posts
Busby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Door-to-door Salesman

All 'hausierer' in Switzerland have to carry a permit - so just ask to see it.
  #4  
Old 08.08.2012, 16:25
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 654 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,386 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Door-to-door Salesman

Quote:
View Post
One for the EF firm of armchair lawyers.

Yesterday, some chap called MrsNickatbasel in the morning wanting to sell some kind of special keyrings where if your housekeys get lost, they can be mailed back to you if someone finds them. She told them "not interested" and the conversation ended.

This morning, a chap rings our doorbell - he was outside our apartment door i.e. had managed to get past the main building door - wanting to sell the same.

I asked him how he got in and he said he had rung a neighbour's doorbell and they had let him in. I told this chap he was not welcome in our building - there was recently a burglary in a nearby block on the 3rd floor where they climbed up balconies, got in through an open French window and stole a widescreen TV. So duly escorted said chap - under much protest - from our building.

As far as I'm concerned this is someone just casing the joint to see who is in, what stuff they have that is worth climbing to the 3rd floor for etc etc.

He threatened to report me for "wirtschaftliche behunderung" - so told him he's welcome to advertise his stuff on the internet or put publicity material through any letterbox that does not have "Keine Werbung" stickers on it.

I've googled for the term "wirtschaftliche behinderung" - nothing in the Swiss Law of Obligations I could find. Anyone heard of this one?

Also, anyone know what the law is about door-to-door salesmen entering a shared apartment building?

With hindsight perhaps I should notify the police - what does the panel think?

Cheers,
Nick
Mrs. Nickatbasel told me, that you weren't going to be there this morning..
Anyhoo...here are more infos: http://www.seco.admin.ch/themen/0064...x.html?lang=de
  #5  
Old 08.08.2012, 16:26
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Door-to-door Salesman

We had almost the identical situation but this chap was selling those fish-eye holes you see in internal apartment doors. Same thing - he'd been let in by a "helpful" neighbour then was working his way up the building.

It was bang on bedtime for my son who was a baby at the time so the salesman got short shrift and sent on his way.

Didn't you notice we already had one?
The one I'm selling gives better field of vision.
WTF? How wide do you think the staircase behind the door is??

I never considered it to be someone casing the building for a future burglary. Blimey - I'll be more careful next time.
  #6  
Old 08.08.2012, 16:27
Castro's Avatar
la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZG
Posts: 5,609
Groaned at 120 Times in 98 Posts
Thanked 16,748 Times in 5,327 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Door-to-door Salesman

I don't think he'll be robbing from the building with the mad Englishman
  #7  
Old 08.08.2012, 16:27
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Door-to-door Salesman

The "mail back your keys" is a Free service offered by SBB (if you go to their lost and found they will give you the keychain and registration on the spot).

Why would anyone sell it?

Sounds like a scam
  #8  
Old 08.08.2012, 16:51
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: north
Posts: 6,132
Groaned at 218 Times in 138 Posts
Thanked 5,100 Times in 2,636 Posts
rob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Door-to-door Salesman

i recently found people in the motorbike parking area of our building, they had been let into the building after pressing all the buttons

about a year ago i put up some posters in the area and went to about 20 blocks and just pressed all the buttons, only 1 building challenged me and asked what i wanted, all others just buzzed open the door.
This user would like to thank rob1 for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 08.08.2012, 17:06
Sbrinz's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,866
Groaned at 563 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 11,548 Times in 5,941 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Door-to-door Salesman

"Door to door" selling is expressly forbidden in all of Switzerland, but they can get permission from the local police, but it is normally refused.

Next time, keep him busy and call the police.

The lost key tag is from a respectable company, but they are not allowed to sell door to door.

Since 1st April 2012 the cold telephone calling is also forbidden, with heavy fines. So just hang up, often they will be calling from outside of Switzerland.
The following 5 users would like to thank Sbrinz for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 08.08.2012, 20:26
nickatbasel's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Albisrieden
Posts: 5,171
Groaned at 155 Times in 94 Posts
Thanked 7,924 Times in 2,937 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Door-to-door Salesman

MrsNickatbasel read this and said she certainly wouldn't want to have anything to do with someone who needs to use a whole roll of paper for a single visit to the toilet.

Cheers,
Nick

Quote:
View Post
Mrs. Nickatbasel told me, that you weren't going to be there this morning..
Anyhoo...here are more infos: http://www.seco.admin.ch/themen/0064...x.html?lang=de
The following 3 users would like to thank nickatbasel for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 08.08.2012, 22:06
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 654 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,386 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Door-to-door Salesman

Quote:
View Post
MrsNickatbasel read this and said she certainly wouldn't want to have anything to do with someone who needs to use a whole roll of paper for a single visit to the toilet.

Cheers,
Nick
So you want to buy them keyrings or not..?
  #12  
Old 08.08.2012, 22:18
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,409
Groaned at 296 Times in 225 Posts
Thanked 19,355 Times in 6,733 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Door-to-door Salesman

It is a smart kind of scam actually.

Someone loses his keys. they get found and sent to the guy. The guy can easily empty the apartment because he has all the address details.
This user would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 08.08.2012, 22:57
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,975
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Door-to-door Salesman

This kind of things drives me crazy! I hate when they buzz all the apartments. Someone will inevitably let them in. But WHY I ask? Why let them in?

We used to get this a lot but it was always some charity or church. One day I told one of the old bitties about the scam, how they would case the joint to find out where the little old ladies lived or the apartments that were empty and then the next day they would break in.

A few days later the old bitty wrote a letter to all the tenants telling them not to let people in.

I'm going to change my occupation to "evil master mind". Mwaa-mwaa.
__________________
The following 3 users would like to thank miniMia for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 08.08.2012, 23:10
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Door-to-door Salesman

I got one the other day, somebody wanting money for the Green Cross (never heard of them). They were asking for my banking details, no less .
This user groans at for this post:
  #15  
Old 08.08.2012, 23:12
HIAO's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bellevue
Posts: 1,337
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 3,435 Times in 959 Posts
HIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Door-to-door Salesman

Whenever a salesman knocks on our door, I always send my 4 year old daughter with a cigarette in one hand and a bottle of Guinness in the other..

When the guy asks.. "Are your mum and dad home?"

She just looks at them and says "what do you think?"
The following 4 users would like to thank HIAO for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 08.08.2012, 23:20
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Door-to-door Salesman

Quote:
View Post
I got one the other day, somebody wanting money for the Green Cross (never heard of them). They were asking for my banking details, no less .
Did he look like this?
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 08.08.2012, 23:24
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Door-to-door Salesman

Quote:
Did he look like this?
lol, I wish
  #18  
Old 08.08.2012, 23:26
Castro's Avatar
la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZG
Posts: 5,609
Groaned at 120 Times in 98 Posts
Thanked 16,748 Times in 5,327 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Door-to-door Salesman

Quote:
View Post
Whenever a salesman knocks on our door, I always send my 4 year old daughter with a cigarette in one hand and a bottle of Guinness in the other..

When the guy asks.. "Are your mum and dad home?"

She just looks at them and says "what do you think?"
If he's the vindictive sort, the next knock on the door might be social services
This user would like to thank Castro for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 08.08.2012, 23:28
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,788
Groaned at 2,368 Times in 1,722 Posts
Thanked 38,746 Times in 18,256 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Door-to-door Salesman

Quote:
View Post
I got one the other day, somebody wanting money for the Green Cross (never heard of them)
Green Cross is the major Swiss (internal) charity, they are legit.

They help the poor, have charity shops, offer discount dental services, ambulances, etc.

Tom
The following 4 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 08.08.2012, 23:52
Sbrinz's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,866
Groaned at 563 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 11,548 Times in 5,941 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Door-to-door Salesman

Quote:
View Post
Green Cross is the major Swiss (internal) charity, they are legit.

They help the poor, have charity shops, offer discount dental services, ambulances, etc.

Tom
Thanks Tom, we are obviously not poor enough to know them.
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
door to door sales maor Business & entrepreneur 20 24.02.2012 20:40
Damaged door due to poor design newtoswitz Housing in general 14 12.06.2011 11:40
Fixing damage to a door/frame? sharkey Housing in general 8 09.02.2011 15:58
Looking for a door to door delivery service in Switzerland david32 Daily life 7 09.10.2010 20:02
Where to Buy a Solid Wood Door expat_in_zug Other/general 0 16.06.2009 20:34


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0