Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 27.09.2012, 17:11
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: na
Posts: 11,248
Groaned at 37 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 26,732 Times in 8,253 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Aldi's

The thing I appreciate about Aldi:

Thanks to the 40-50% I save by shopping there for some of my staples, I can then afford to purchase fresh from my local butcher, baker, and farmer.

To my mind, Aldi has done a lot more to help our local small businesses than Migroop has.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post:
  #62  
Old 27.09.2012, 17:27
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Aldi's

Quote:
View Post
The thing I appreciate about Aldi:

Thanks to the 40-50% I save by shopping there for some of my staples, I can then afford to purchase fresh from my local butcher, baker, and farmer.

To my mind, Aldi has done a lot more to help our local small businesses than Migroop has
.
But for the small businesses to profit, quite a few people would have to follow your way of spending money, wouldn't they?

I'd think that money saved by shopping at Aldi is being spent in many different ways, be it vacation, fancy food (Globus etc.), restaurant visits or just to cover regular bills for utilities etc... and only parts of it are supporting local farmers/businesses. Maybe some money goes to charities etc.? It all depends on the shopper's personal preferences.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #63  
Old 27.09.2012, 17:34
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zurich Unterland
Posts: 3,315
Groaned at 145 Times in 99 Posts
Thanked 4,850 Times in 1,930 Posts
smoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Aldi's

Quote:
View Post
Abslolute rot. Aldi source quite a lot of their products from Switzerland so I guess all Swiss produce must be rubbish. Even more strange then that the Swiss pay so much for it in places like Migros and Coop.
I believe you misunderstood me, or I did not write too clearly? I was referring to Aldi in Germany.
the Swiss Aldi abides by certain Swiss regulations, I believe?
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 27.09.2012, 17:39
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zurich Unterland
Posts: 3,315
Groaned at 145 Times in 99 Posts
Thanked 4,850 Times in 1,930 Posts
smoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Aldi's

One good thing about Aldi, even the German ones, I am told that their Workmans clothing and especially their Worker Boots are good quality.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 27.09.2012, 17:42
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,620
Groaned at 579 Times in 487 Posts
Thanked 20,885 Times in 10,970 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Aldi's

Quote:
View Post
I don't care where it comes from, the quality and taste is atrocious in my experience. I've never had worse sausages in my life than ones I purchased from Aldi and I've had some lousy sausages in my life. At the time, I bought 70 francs worth of groceries and the only thing that exceeded the descriptor "edible" were the english muffins, and I purposely avoided the plethora of pre-made frozen crap that's so popular there.

Another thing I dislike about Aldi is that their only goal here is to make money by selling the cheapest crap, paying the lowest wages, and having the least pleasant stores. Coop, Migros, and other Swiss companies spend a ton of money sponsoring races and other events., Migros has a film commision that gives out substantial money to aspiring filmakers and they build world class sports facilites like Milandia. When I don't buy locally, I'd rather buy from a company that gives something back to the community that supports it. There's more to life than cheap groceries.
About "Coop, Migros, and other Swiss companies spend a ton of money sponsoring races and other events."

At their high prices they can afford to

I prefer to pay reasonable prices & do my own sponsoring of events that I choose to support.

About "by selling the cheapest crap"

Aldi has won hundreds of awards for food quality, examples below.
Are you by any chance associated with Migros & Coop. I have no connection with Aldi other than as a satisfied customer

In English
Aldi has been awarded the following awards at the Grocer Own Label Awards 2012:

Gold Awards
- Specially Selected Goose Fat Potatoes
- Wood Fired Pizza - American Hot
- Luxury Chocsticks - Almond
- Fruit Fool - Gooseberry
- Multigrain/Wheat Crackers
- Chocolate Chunky Biscuit
- Fajita dinner kit

Silver Awards
- Bramwells Chunky Apple Sauce
- Ice Cream Selection
- Specially Selected Hot Curry Sauce - Dopiaza
- Smoked German Ham

In German
Jedes dritte Produkt in den Regalen von Aldi Suisse ist ein Schweizer Produkt.

http://www.testbeste.ch/index.cgi?action=test&test=1045

Schweizer Qualität garantiert.
Den hohen Wert unserer Landwirtschaftsprodukte zeichnen wir in erster Linie durch das unabhängige Qualitätslabel «SUISSE GARANTIE» aus. Dieses erhalten ausschliesslich Produkte, die klar definierten Kriterien entsprechen – was ein lückenloses, unabhängiges Kontroll- und Zertifizierungssystem gewährleistet. «SUISSE GARANTIE» drückt in erster Linie das Produktions- und Verarbeitungsland Schweiz aus. Zusätzlich zur Herkunft werden aber auch qualitative Leistungen der Schweizer Landwirtschaft kommuniziert – zum Beispiel die Anstrengungen im Umwelt- und Tierschutz. So müssen die ausgezeichneten Produkte von Betrieben stammen, welche die Vorgaben für den ökologischen Leistungsnachweis (ÖLN) erfüllen. Diesen erbringen Betriebe, die umweltschonend produzieren, Nutztiere tiergerecht halten, Ausgleichsflächen aufweisen, die Fruchtfolge beachten und eine ausgeglichene Düngerbilanz nachweisen können. Weiter dürfen Nahrungsmittel nicht aus dem Anbau gentechnisch veränderter Pflanzen stammen und tierische Produkte nicht von gentechnisch veränderten Tieren. Tieren dürfen aber auch keine genmanipulierten Futtermittel verabreicht werden.
Bei ALDI SUISSE erhalten Sie Schweizer Obst, Gemüse, Milch, Käse und Fleisch – hergestellt gemäss den strengen Kriterien von «SUISSE GARANTIE».
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 27.09.2012, 17:53
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 4,019
Groaned at 37 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 5,612 Times in 2,012 Posts
McTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Aldi's

And who gives these awards, or who sponsors them, I'd like to ask? The food and supermarket industry! The products you quote have as much "health" in them as a Syrian army bazooka in a civilian hospital!

Went to an Aldi once in Britain, a most depressing affair.


Quote:
View Post
About "Coop, Migros, and other Swiss companies spend a ton of money sponsoring races and other events."

At their high prices they can afford to

I prefer to pay reasonable prices & do my own sponsoring of events that I choose to support.

About "by selling the cheapest crap"

Aldi has won hundreds of awards for food quality, examples below.
Are you by any chance associated with Migros & Coop. I have no connection with Aldi other than as a satisfied customer

In English
Aldi has been awarded the following awards at the Grocer Own Label Awards 2012:

Gold Awards
- Specially Selected Goose Fat Potatoes
- Wood Fired Pizza - American Hot
- Luxury Chocsticks - Almond
- Fruit Fool - Gooseberry
- Multigrain/Wheat Crackers
- Chocolate Chunky Biscuit
- Fajita dinner kit

Silver Awards
- Bramwells Chunky Apple Sauce
- Ice Cream Selection
- Specially Selected Hot Curry Sauce - Dopiaza
- Smoked German Ham

In German
Jedes dritte Produkt in den Regalen von Aldi Suisse ist ein Schweizer Produkt.

http://www.testbeste.ch/index.cgi?action=test&test=1045

Schweizer Qualität garantiert.
Den hohen Wert unserer Landwirtschaftsprodukte zeichnen wir in erster Linie durch das unabhängige Qualitätslabel «SUISSE GARANTIE» aus. Dieses erhalten ausschliesslich Produkte, die klar definierten Kriterien entsprechen – was ein lückenloses, unabhängiges Kontroll- und Zertifizierungssystem gewährleistet. «SUISSE GARANTIE» drückt in erster Linie das Produktions- und Verarbeitungsland Schweiz aus. Zusätzlich zur Herkunft werden aber auch qualitative Leistungen der Schweizer Landwirtschaft kommuniziert – zum Beispiel die Anstrengungen im Umwelt- und Tierschutz. So müssen die ausgezeichneten Produkte von Betrieben stammen, welche die Vorgaben für den ökologischen Leistungsnachweis (ÖLN) erfüllen. Diesen erbringen Betriebe, die umweltschonend produzieren, Nutztiere tiergerecht halten, Ausgleichsflächen aufweisen, die Fruchtfolge beachten und eine ausgeglichene Düngerbilanz nachweisen können. Weiter dürfen Nahrungsmittel nicht aus dem Anbau gentechnisch veränderter Pflanzen stammen und tierische Produkte nicht von gentechnisch veränderten Tieren. Tieren dürfen aber auch keine genmanipulierten Futtermittel verabreicht werden.
Bei ALDI SUISSE erhalten Sie Schweizer Obst, Gemüse, Milch, Käse und Fleisch – hergestellt gemäss den strengen Kriterien von «SUISSE GARANTIE».
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 27.09.2012, 18:02
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,620
Groaned at 579 Times in 487 Posts
Thanked 20,885 Times in 10,970 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Aldi's

Quote:
View Post
And who gives these awards, or who sponsors them, I'd like to ask? The food and supermarket industry! The products you quote have as much "health" in them as a Syrian army bazooka in a civilian hospital!

Went to an Aldi once in Britain, a most depressing affair.
About "Went to an Aldi once in Britain" - are you familiar with the term "limited statistical sample"?
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 27.09.2012, 18:37
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 4,019
Groaned at 37 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 5,612 Times in 2,012 Posts
McTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Aldi's

Passed it every day (same old rubbish on the "shelves", sorry, boxes!) and "witnessed" what nutritious, tasty meals colleagues had purchased from there...that was quite enough to scare me off! We both work full time, but cook fresh ingredients and meals from scratch. It takes planning, organisation and energy, but worth it if it saves me from ...Aldi!

Quote:
View Post
About "Went to an Aldi once in Britain" - are you familiar with the term "limited statistical sample"?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank McTAVGE for this useful post:
  #69  
Old 27.09.2012, 18:40
Principia Discordia's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Züri Unterland
Posts: 1,230
Groaned at 91 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 2,518 Times in 807 Posts
Principia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Aldi's

Quote:
View Post
About "Coop, Migros, and other Swiss companies spend a ton of money sponsoring races and other events."

At their high prices they can afford to

I prefer to pay reasonable prices & do my own sponsoring of events that I choose to support.

About "by selling the cheapest crap"

Aldi has won hundreds of awards for food quality, examples below.
Are you by any chance associated with Migros & Coop. I have no connection with Aldi other than as a satisfied customer

In English
Aldi has been awarded the following awards at the Grocer Own Label Awards 2012:

Gold Awards
- Specially Selected Goose Fat Potatoes
- Wood Fired Pizza - American Hot
- Luxury Chocsticks - Almond
- Fruit Fool - Gooseberry
- Multigrain/Wheat Crackers
- Chocolate Chunky Biscuit
- Fajita dinner kit

Silver Awards
- Bramwells Chunky Apple Sauce
- Ice Cream Selection
- Specially Selected Hot Curry Sauce - Dopiaza
- Smoked German Ham

In German
Jedes dritte Produkt in den Regalen von Aldi Suisse ist ein Schweizer Produkt.

http://www.testbeste.ch/index.cgi?action=test&test=1045

Schweizer Qualität garantiert.
Den hohen Wert unserer Landwirtschaftsprodukte zeichnen wir in erster Linie durch das unabhängige Qualitätslabel «SUISSE GARANTIE» aus. Dieses erhalten ausschliesslich Produkte, die klar definierten Kriterien entsprechen – was ein lückenloses, unabhängiges Kontroll- und Zertifizierungssystem gewährleistet. «SUISSE GARANTIE» drückt in erster Linie das Produktions- und Verarbeitungsland Schweiz aus. Zusätzlich zur Herkunft werden aber auch qualitative Leistungen der Schweizer Landwirtschaft kommuniziert – zum Beispiel die Anstrengungen im Umwelt- und Tierschutz. So müssen die ausgezeichneten Produkte von Betrieben stammen, welche die Vorgaben für den ökologischen Leistungsnachweis (ÖLN) erfüllen. Diesen erbringen Betriebe, die umweltschonend produzieren, Nutztiere tiergerecht halten, Ausgleichsflächen aufweisen, die Fruchtfolge beachten und eine ausgeglichene Düngerbilanz nachweisen können. Weiter dürfen Nahrungsmittel nicht aus dem Anbau gentechnisch veränderter Pflanzen stammen und tierische Produkte nicht von gentechnisch veränderten Tieren. Tieren dürfen aber auch keine genmanipulierten Futtermittel verabreicht werden.
Bei ALDI SUISSE erhalten Sie Schweizer Obst, Gemüse, Milch, Käse und Fleisch – hergestellt gemäss den strengen Kriterien von «SUISSE GARANTIE».
You're asking me if I'm affiliated with Coop or Migros and you then proceed to cut and paste a few paragraphs of corporate BS straight from the Aldi website? And then you're boasting about their many awards for such fine, natural products as a frozen pizza and a delicious sounding "fajjita kit"? Mmmm, I can't wait to sample a can of "Grocer Own Label Silver Award Winning Specially Selected Hot Curry Sauce Dopiaza"! Just like mom used to make!

No, I'm not affiliated with Coop or Migros. As I said, there are other things that are important to me than price.

Quote:
View Post
The thing I appreciate about Aldi:

Thanks to the 40-50% I save by shopping there for some of my staples, I can then afford to purchase fresh from my local butcher, baker, and farmer.

To my mind, Aldi has done a lot more to help our local small businesses than Migroop has.
I can afford to shop at my local butcher, baker, and farmer AND shop at Migros and Coop, and judging by your previous posts I think your income absolutely dwarfs mine, so I don't quite agree with your line of reasoning.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Principia Discordia for this useful post:
  #70  
Old 27.09.2012, 20:02
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wallisellen, Zurich
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
BunzLee has made some interesting contributions
Re: Aldi's

As a local I can't quite agree about Aldi. For everyone I know Aldi is nothing but "cheap" and low quality. That doesn't mean we're snobs and only purchase our food at Globus (which is very expensive), but with a regular swiss income you're very well able to purchase things at Migros (Coop is slightly more expensive too), without having to sacrifice anything when you're buying smart.

Migros has it's own "M-Budget" brand that has a lot of products that range from food to cleaning utensils. "M-Classic" is slightly better (in terms of quality) for still a reasonable price. So if you actually keep an eye on brands, which luckily isn't that much necessary in Migros, you can buy good quality food for a reasonable price. You also might have to develop a sense of what is okay to buy as "Budget" and what not, because quality varies greatly amongst the different products.

Coop does more or less the same thing, but their "Prix Garantie" brand is not as popular as the "M-Budget" from Migros. Their prices are usually higher, but that's also due to Coop having a lot of brands that are not their own (Coke, Emmi, Dr. Pepper, and so on). Quality wise they are equal.

Then there's "Denner", but they're mostly used to buy alcohol. They belong to Migros and are, more or less, their alcohol supplier, because Migros' creator didn't want his business to sell booze. Food quality is not so great, but they're also quite cheap... Probably more or less like Aldi and Lidl.

And please don't get mor wrong; I'm not saying all of this because Aldi/Lidl are a foreign chain and I'm sticking to our local stores. But quality wise you just can't compare them.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank BunzLee for this useful post:
  #71  
Old 27.09.2012, 20:57
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,533
Groaned at 424 Times in 327 Posts
Thanked 17,594 Times in 9,857 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Aldi's

Quote:
View Post
As a local I can't quite agree about Aldi. For everyone I know Aldi is nothing but "cheap" and low quality. That doesn't mean we're snobs and only purchase our food at Globus (which is very expensive), but with a regular swiss income you're very well able to purchase things at Migros (Coop is slightly more expensive too), without having to sacrifice anything when you're buying smart.

Migros has it's own "M-Budget" brand that has a lot of products that range from food to cleaning utensils. "M-Classic" is slightly better (in terms of quality) for still a reasonable price. So if you actually keep an eye on brands, which luckily isn't that much necessary in Migros, you can buy good quality food for a reasonable price. You also might have to develop a sense of what is okay to buy as "Budget" and what not, because quality varies greatly amongst the different products.

Coop does more or less the same thing, but their "Prix Garantie" brand is not as popular as the "M-Budget" from Migros. Their prices are usually higher, but that's also due to Coop having a lot of brands that are not their own (Coke, Emmi, Dr. Pepper, and so on). Quality wise they are equal.

Then there's "Denner", but they're mostly used to buy alcohol. They belong to Migros and are, more or less, their alcohol supplier, because Migros' creator didn't want his business to sell booze. Food quality is not so great, but they're also quite cheap... Probably more or less like Aldi and Lidl.

And please don't get mor wrong; I'm not saying all of this because Aldi/Lidl are a foreign chain and I'm sticking to our local stores. But quality wise you just can't compare them.
Yes, I can. I find Aldi (and Lidl too, although I don't shop there much) to be just as good quality and I don't sacrifice anything by doing most of my shopping there. Yes, Migros' Budget range is good, but still a bit more expensive than Aldi/Lidl and I've been pretty disappointed with Coop's Prix Guarantee stuff.

Still, each to his own. We're all different in our likes and dislikes and that's the way it should be. It would be awfully boring otherwise - and this thread wouldn't have run to four pages if we were.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #72  
Old 27.09.2012, 21:14
Puhutes's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: val Müstair
Posts: 1,017
Groaned at 22 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 606 Times in 318 Posts
Puhutes has an excellent reputationPuhutes has an excellent reputationPuhutes has an excellent reputationPuhutes has an excellent reputation
Re: Aldi's

Quote:
View Post
Yes, I can. I find Aldi (and Lidl too, although I don't shop there much) to be just as good quality and I don't sacrifice anything by doing most of my shopping there. Yes, Migros' Budget range is good, but still a bit more expensive than Aldi/Lidl and I've been pretty disappointed with Coop's Prix Guarantee stuff.

Still, each to his own. We're all different in our likes and dislikes and that's the way it should be. It would be awfully boring otherwise - and this thread wouldn't have run to four pages if we were.
Exactly! I've shopped often enough at all of the above mentioned stores and I've been very disappointed (not only by the prices) but the quality of "fresh" fruits/vegetables/meat etc. from Coop and Migros. There are enough threads here in EF about the poor storage and quality of these staples. As for the others complaining about the additives in Aldi food, have you ever read the ingredients on half the boxes/packages on the shelves in Coop or Migros? They aren't any better and often times worse. I've moved a bit away from Aldi for that reason. The quality has gone down since last year when they changed a lot of their product line. I've moved more towards Lidl as they have less additives in their boxed/packaged products and I find many of their products are just better than Aldi. I still shop every week at both, and for the special products at coop, or my favorite alternative, Manor Foods (which BTW is more expensive than both Migros and Coop but less expensive than a Village store and Globus). As a poster above mentioned, I also support my local farmers. My milk and eggs come from my neighbour and I often go to the weekly market on Saturday (I too agree with supporting local). So there... that's my opinion... good night all
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 27.09.2012, 22:12
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,620
Groaned at 579 Times in 487 Posts
Thanked 20,885 Times in 10,970 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Aldi's

Quote:
View Post
As a local I can't quite agree about Aldi. For everyone I know Aldi is nothing but "cheap" and low quality. That doesn't mean we're snobs and only purchase our food at Globus (which is very expensive), but with a regular swiss income you're very well able to purchase things at Migros (Coop is slightly more expensive too), without having to sacrifice anything when you're buying smart.

Migros has it's own "M-Budget" brand that has a lot of products that range from food to cleaning utensils. "M-Classic" is slightly better (in terms of quality) for still a reasonable price. So if you actually keep an eye on brands, which luckily isn't that much necessary in Migros, you can buy good quality food for a reasonable price. You also might have to develop a sense of what is okay to buy as "Budget" and what not, because quality varies greatly amongst the different products.

Coop does more or less the same thing, but their "Prix Garantie" brand is not as popular as the "M-Budget" from Migros. Their prices are usually higher, but that's also due to Coop having a lot of brands that are not their own (Coke, Emmi, Dr. Pepper, and so on). Quality wise they are equal.

Then there's "Denner", but they're mostly used to buy alcohol. They belong to Migros and are, more or less, their alcohol supplier, because Migros' creator didn't want his business to sell booze. Food quality is not so great, but they're also quite cheap... Probably more or less like Aldi and Lidl.

And please don't get mor wrong; I'm not saying all of this because Aldi/Lidl are a foreign chain and I'm sticking to our local stores. But quality wise you just can't compare them.
About "For everyone I know Aldi is nothing but "cheap" and low quality." You need to widen the circle of people you know!

About "But quality wise you just can't compare them" Actualy you can.
I was in local Coop last week & they had some very tired looking vegetables. Was in Aldi de this evening & their fruit & vegetables looked very fresh & wholesome.
Managed to resist buying another US steak; just limited myself to liver pate, oven roasted ham, a bottle of Austrian wine, some pears, a set of spanners & a box of DVD-R
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 27.09.2012, 22:15
Wallabies's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 3,219
Groaned at 311 Times in 176 Posts
Thanked 3,314 Times in 1,577 Posts
Wallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Aldi's

Quote:
View Post
Yes, I can. I find Aldi (and Lidl too, although I don't shop there much) to be just as good quality and I don't sacrifice anything by doing most of my shopping there. Yes, Migros' Budget range is good, but still a bit more expensive than Aldi/Lidl and I've been pretty disappointed with Coop's Prix Guarantee stuff.

Still, each to his own. We're all different in our likes and dislikes and that's the way it should be. It would be awfully boring otherwise - and this thread wouldn't have run to four pages if we were.
Well put we shop for a family of 4 at Aldi and Lidl and what we dont get there we go to germany and shop in Edeka. The occassional stuff we get in COOP or Migros who are way overpriced for what they sell. There are a few suggestions on here that their quality is superior to Aldi and Lidls this is false as the quality of the german places is easily on par with these swiss stores.

With prices at least double to triple you would expect the quality to be this many times better the reality is they are no better then Aldis so the higher prices are totally unjustified

I know the Migros and COOP defense force will now jump to attention and rubbish my post
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wallabies for this useful post:
  #75  
Old 27.09.2012, 22:17
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,620
Groaned at 579 Times in 487 Posts
Thanked 20,885 Times in 10,970 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Aldi's

Quote:
View Post
Passed it every day (same old rubbish on the "shelves", sorry, boxes!) and "witnessed" what nutritious, tasty meals colleagues had purchased from there...that was quite enough to scare me off! We both work full time, but cook fresh ingredients and meals from scratch. It takes planning, organisation and energy, but worth it if it saves me from ...Aldi!
If you actually went into Aldi instead of passing buy you would see they have a wide range of fresh ingredients like vegetables, fruit, meat etc.

About ""witnessed" what nutritious, tasty meals colleagues had purchased from there..."; but probably your same colleagues would buy similar nutritious, tasty meals from Coop & Migros. You can't judge a store by what people buy when those people probably have completely different tastes, standards than you.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #76  
Old 27.09.2012, 22:21
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,620
Groaned at 579 Times in 487 Posts
Thanked 20,885 Times in 10,970 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Aldi's

Quote:
View Post
You're asking me if I'm affiliated with Coop or Migros and you then proceed to cut and paste a few paragraphs of corporate BS straight from the Aldi website? And then you're boasting about their many awards for such fine, natural products as a frozen pizza and a delicious sounding "fajjita kit"? Mmmm, I can't wait to sample a can of "Grocer Own Label Silver Award Winning Specially Selected Hot Curry Sauce Dopiaza"! Just like mom used to make!

No, I'm not affiliated with Coop or Migros. As I said, there are other things that are important to me than price.



I can afford to shop at my local butcher, baker, and farmer AND shop at Migros and Coop, and judging by your previous posts I think your income absolutely dwarfs mine, so I don't quite agree with your line of reasoning.
Must admit we eat in restaurants 3 or 4 times a week; but nevertheless I find Aldi quality OK & not markedly different from other stores
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 27.09.2012, 22:23
drmom's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere in SG
Posts: 2,341
Groaned at 12 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,050 Posts
drmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Aldi's

Quote:
View Post
As a local I can't quite agree about Aldi. For everyone I know Aldi is nothing but "cheap" and low quality. That doesn't mean we're snobs and only purchase our food at Globus (which is very expensive), but with a regular swiss income you're very well able to purchase things at Migros (Coop is slightly more expensive too), without having to sacrifice anything when you're buying smart.
Funny - I regularly bump into my Swiss neighbors at Aldi...Actually much more often than I ever have at Migros or COOP.

Look, there are prepakaged goods at all stores, believe it or not, it isn't all that is sold at Aldi/Lidl. Last week I was splitting my shopping at Migros and Aldi as my kids want the stinkin dinosaurs. Looked at the cherry tomatoes - Migros they were 5.80, so instead I got them at Aldi for 3.99. Most likely the same product. Just because you shop at Aldi doesn't mean you are buying ready made meals, and when shopping with a 3 year old, you can appreciate how efficient the store is laid out and how fast a week's shopping can be done...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank drmom for this useful post:
  #78  
Old 27.09.2012, 22:30
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,620
Groaned at 579 Times in 487 Posts
Thanked 20,885 Times in 10,970 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Aldi's

Quote:
View Post
Funny - I regularly bump into my Swiss neighbors at Aldi...Actually much more often than I ever have at Migros or COOP.

Look, there are prepakaged goods at all stores, believe it or not, it isn't all that is sold at Aldi/Lidl. Last week I was splitting my shopping at Migros and Aldi as my kids want the stinkin dinosaurs. Looked at the cherry tomatoes - Migros they were 5.80, so instead I got them at Aldi for 3.99. Most likely the same product. Just because you shop at Aldi doesn't mean you are buying ready made meals, and when shopping with a 3 year old, you can appreciate how efficient the store is laid out and how fast a week's shopping can be done...
About "Funny - I regularly bump into my Swiss neighbors at Aldi.." Me too; do you also find that they feel compelled to give you a long & tedious explanation about why they are in Aldi?
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 27.09.2012, 22:30
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Aldi's

Quote:
View Post
Another thing I dislike about Aldi is that their only goal here is to make money by selling the cheapest crap, paying the lowest wages
You might be surprised there. Aldi actually pay better than Migros. Naturally you're expected to work for that.

Most of our local Migros staff actually shop in Lidl or Aldi.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 27.09.2012, 22:47
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 4,019
Groaned at 37 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 5,612 Times in 2,012 Posts
McTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Aldi's

Sorry, I did go TWICE (I know, I like danger!) into Aldi in Nottingham, regardless of people's tastes, income etc...this was genuinely the most awful,depressing place, and the food was crap on a large scale. Now I did not have the honour and joy to experience Aldi Switzerland so I cannot compare and maybe I ought to be fair, some stores try harder than others and sometimes it's all down to local management. When I lived in Germany for two years, I was surprised by the not too bad choice of our local Liddl, but back in England, it was dreadful. Maybe like "class hierarchy" , there is a supermarket hierarchy too in the U.K. and in CH it is a little more "democratic"?

Here I live in a little village, so no spoilt for choice!

Quote:
View Post
If you actually went into Aldi instead of passing buy you would see they have a wide range of fresh ingredients like vegetables, fruit, meat etc.

About ""witnessed" what nutritious, tasty meals colleagues had purchased from there..."; but probably your same colleagues would buy similar nutritious, tasty meals from Coop & Migros. You can't judge a store by what people buy when those people probably have completely different tastes, standards than you.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank McTAVGE for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aldi in Vevey JR1965 Food and drink 1 04.05.2012 15:25
Aldi Fit n'Active WhereTheHeartIs Food and drink 2 03.04.2012 20:28
ALDI SIM card MZD TV/internet/telephone 3 22.08.2011 17:14
Aldi in Lausanne bahar_mk Daily life 8 28.06.2011 12:53
Aldi Invasion Polorise Daily life 148 26.10.2010 14:17


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0