Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06.10.2012, 15:41
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, UK
Posts: 96
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 35 Times in 21 Posts
Clocks&Clouds has become a little unpopular
Cost of living vs London

Hi,

New to this forum, so apologies if this topic has been done already.

I'm mulling applying for a job in Zurich. No indication of pay yet other than would 'compensate for higher living costs'.

Here's my impression so far:
- Tax: Lower.
- Housing: Similar. Mortgage rates look very low though. On other hand I'm assuming any kind of building work is going to be way more expensive.
- Groceries: More expensive (depending where you shop obviously).
- Transport: Similar.
- Schooling: I had a look at ZIS fees and they're at the very top end of London private schools.
- Childcare: I'm assuming child-minder/nanny is going to be more expensive, kindergarten/day care probably also.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06.10.2012, 15:43
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cost of living vs London

Use an exchange rate of 2 CHF to th £ when comparing salaries, thats about the actual cost on average.


Quote:
View Post
Hi,

New to this forum, so apologies if this topic has been done already.

I'm mulling applying for a job in Zurich. No indication of pay yet other than would 'compensate for higher living costs'.

Here's my impression so far:
- Tax: Lower.
- Housing: Similar. Mortgage rates look very low though. On other hand I'm assuming any kind of building work is going to be way more expensive.
- Groceries: More expensive (depending where you shop obviously).
- Transport: Similar.
- Schooling: I had a look at ZIS fees and they're at the very top end of London private schools.
- Childcare: I'm assuming child-minder/nanny is going to be more expensive, kindergarten/day care probably also.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 06.10.2012, 17:07
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,750
Groaned at 284 Times in 189 Posts
Thanked 18,639 Times in 7,827 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cost of living vs London

Quote:
View Post
Hi,

New to this forum, so apologies if this topic has been done already.

I'm mulling applying for a job in Zurich. No indication of pay yet other than would 'compensate for higher living costs'.

Here's my impression so far:
- Tax: Lower.
- Housing: Similar. Mortgage rates look very low though. On other hand I'm assuming any kind of building work is going to be way more expensive.
- Groceries: More expensive (depending where you shop obviously).
- Transport: Similar.
- Schooling: I had a look at ZIS fees and they're at the very top end of London private schools.
- Childcare: I'm assuming child-minder/nanny is going to be more expensive, kindergarten/day care probably also.
if you are in the 40% tax band, assume you need around 25-33% payrise to keep same standard of living as a single person with no kids.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06.10.2012, 18:05
thedolgys's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 29
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
thedolgys has no particular reputation at present
Re: Cost of living vs London

Hi,

It is more expensive than London. But.....there so much do to that is free! Us expats also forget that cost of living in out own countries has risen in the last 5 years!

Its very important to look at areas to live as tax varies greatly, rent is pricey and higher rents in low tax areas. comparis.ch is a good place to start.

4.5 room apartment (3 bedrooms) between 2,500 to 4,000 chf per month.

Childcare about 120 chf per day.

Weekly shop for 2 adults and a toddler 150 / 200 chf per week

I hope this helps! It is a great place, especially with kids....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06.10.2012, 18:36
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, UK
Posts: 96
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 35 Times in 21 Posts
Clocks&Clouds has become a little unpopular
Re: Cost of living vs London

Quote:
View Post
Its very important to look at areas to live as tax varies greatly, rent is pricey and higher rents in low tax areas. comparis.ch is a good place to start.
Thanks for the responses so far ... gives me an idea.

I'd look to buy a place; any tips for which areas for a family home?

I was surfing on immoscout24.ch and saw a beautiful but 'Renovationsbedürftig' house on south side of lake Zurich. I'm guessing though that fixing it up would cost a small fortune ... unlike London where you just hail a passing gang of Polish builders.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06.10.2012, 18:43
Sbrinz's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,866
Groaned at 563 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 11,548 Times in 5,941 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cost of living vs London

Don't get too excited, things are very different here! In need of renovation is an invitation to bankrupcy!

You can also live outside Zurich, and avoid being ripped off with high prices and bad service.

Rent somewhere reasonable for two years and see how you go. Selling a house is difficult, it can easily take 12 months to find a buyer, as most people want to buy a new house.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06.10.2012, 18:44
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,750
Groaned at 284 Times in 189 Posts
Thanked 18,639 Times in 7,827 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cost of living vs London

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for the responses so far ... gives me an idea.

I'd look to buy a place; any tips for which areas for a family home?

I was surfing on immoscout24.ch and saw a beautiful but 'Renovationsbedürftig' house on south side of lake Zurich. I'm guessing though that fixing it up would cost a small fortune ... unlike London where you just hail a passing gang of Polish builders.
don't buy anything that even needs more than a lick of paint unless you know what you are doing. i know people who have practically been bankrupted by moderate renovations just because they didn't know the ins and outs of how things work in switzerland.

do some searches on house buying threads here - definitely worth going in with your eyes open. as it is very different from london and not necessarily a smart thing to do.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 06.10.2012, 18:45
thedolgys's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 29
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
thedolgys has no particular reputation at present
Re: Cost of living vs London

Quote:
View Post
Don't get too excited, things are very different here! In need of renovation is an invitation to bankrupcy!

You can also live outside Zurich, and avoid being ripped off with high prices and bad service.

Rent somewhere reasonable for two years and see how you go. Selling a house is difficult, it can easily take 12 months to find a buyer, as most people want to buy a new house.
Agree -- plus, flipping a property isn't as easy overall (even a new build) as it is in other countries (especially London)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06.10.2012, 19:33
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, UK
Posts: 96
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 35 Times in 21 Posts
Clocks&Clouds has become a little unpopular
Re: Cost of living vs London

Quote:
View Post
In need of renovation is an invitation to bankrupcy!
Thanks, suspected that to be the case. Does look a nice place though: http://www.immoscout24.ch/IS24Web/_V...12&wl=1&lng=de

Anyhow, back to reality ... where's a good place to look for info on taxes?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06.10.2012, 19:39
jrspet's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Quaint Wädenswil, Zürich, CH
Posts: 8,131
Groaned at 27 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 7,036 Times in 3,912 Posts
jrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cost of living vs London

It is a few minutes away from my place, up the hill.

http://map.search.ch/waedenswil/fuhrstr.22

About the City of Wädenswil

Taxation in Wädi

Last edited by jrspet; 06.10.2012 at 19:51.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06.10.2012, 19:49
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Cost of living vs London

Quote:
View Post
I'm guessing though that fixing it up would cost a small fortune
Well, someone on here was recently charged 250 francs to change a light bulb...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06.10.2012, 20:29
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, UK
Posts: 96
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 35 Times in 21 Posts
Clocks&Clouds has become a little unpopular
Quote:
View Post
Thanks, that is really useful.

Quote:
View Post
Us expats also forget that cost of living in out own countries has risen in the last 5 years!
Not just cost of living, but taxes too. Constant drip-drip of stealth tax rises in the UK.

Don't know how much that is taken into account by those calculations above ...

Last edited by jrspet; 06.10.2012 at 20:44. Reason: Merging of successive posts ( one can use the Multi Quote feature to avoid intervention )
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06.10.2012, 20:44
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cost of living vs London

Quote:
View Post
Not just cost of living, but taxes too. Constant drip-drip of stealth tax rises in the UK.

Don't know how much that is taken into account by those calculations above ...
Well basic health insurance will cost you 2k with a 2.5k excess, nothing is free in CH.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06.10.2012, 22:07
moleleigh's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 19
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 14 Times in 6 Posts
moleleigh has earned some respectmoleleigh has earned some respect
Re: Cost of living vs London

You have covered the basics in terms of living practicalities and costs. I would recommend that you also explore the change of lifestyle in terms of language, culture and social integration. This is vital - and there are many threads on this forum where you can explore these themes. We are from London and have experienced rental and purchase here, so if you would like a chat on that theme, please feel free to send a PM. Good luck!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank moleleigh for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 07.10.2012, 02:14
Sbrinz's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,866
Groaned at 563 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 11,548 Times in 5,941 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cost of living vs London

To get a correct impression you should read "Living & Working in Switzerland"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...ripbooks%2C379

and for light reading

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Swiss-Watchi...9565229&sr=1-5
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07.10.2012, 23:57
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 15
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
jan2 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Cost of living vs London

And I thought its the other way, isn't rent and Tax so much worse in London?
Thinking of moving to London, can I take a pay cut then?

Quote:
View Post
Use an exchange rate of 2 CHF to th £ when comparing salaries, thats about the actual cost on average.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08.10.2012, 11:37
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, UK
Posts: 96
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 35 Times in 21 Posts
Clocks&Clouds has become a little unpopular
Re: Cost of living vs London

I'm surprised that CHF2/GBP1 figure too.

Tax in UK is pretty horrendous if you're a well-paid professional. They think they can target you because they don't believe you have option to leave.

On other hand if you're super rich, particular if non-domiciled, then you have all sorts of loop holes and basically pay almost nothing.

Rent's pretty high too. Transport is expensive.

So basically you probably save on food and on cheap labour (builders, cleaners) from eastern Europe.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08.10.2012, 12:00
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 285
Groaned at 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 98 Times in 78 Posts
The Spartan has no particular reputation at present
Re: Cost of living vs London

Rent in Zurich isn't exactly cheap so you're better off looking to live outside it, transport here is great but I wouldn't say it's cheap either to be frank and I've working in and around London.

Food especially meat is very expensive and there's the additional cost of healthcare and dentistry etc.

Sure taxes are lower here but as a contractor working in Zurich I still lose a third of what I earn before the money is in my pocket and then I have to pay rent and healthcare on top.

It maybe different if you have a permie job but trawl the forum and you'll see pro's and con's of living and working here. Also you might want to think about taking up German
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08.10.2012, 23:59
flow23's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,029
Groaned at 91 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 1,777 Times in 963 Posts
flow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond repute
transportation is cheaper in ch. quality of transport services is better too, in my opinion. rent is the same though i find the quality of housing in london worse on average. eg my dark 2 room 45 sqm studio in clapham was 350 £ // 2050 chf/week. shitty renovated with cheap panel, no eco windows, not isolated, luke warm heating. here i have a 3 room 110sqm maisonette flat that costs 2600chf, bright, quiet and central located. way better deal.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank flow23 for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 09.10.2012, 10:24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 285
Groaned at 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 98 Times in 78 Posts
The Spartan has no particular reputation at present
Re: Cost of living vs London

Don't confuse the size of London with the size of Zurich and travel around the UK is a lot cheaper than here
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cost of Living - Frankfurt 60K € vs Zurich 90K CHF r0bert Daily life 21 04.10.2011 21:49
Strong CHF - Cost of living in Switzerland vs London/UK Flower Other/general 15 02.09.2011 13:56
Cost of living, tessin vs graubünden Ilcristian Daily life 3 14.03.2011 22:54
Cost of living in Waadt vs Aargau yacek Employment 7 22.03.2010 11:23
Cost of living - Switzerland Vs Germany? Snaark Finance/banking/taxation 10 31.07.2008 12:12


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0