Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #141  
Old 02.11.2012, 16:42
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 59
Groaned at 50 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 64 Times in 40 Posts
MannImBett is considered unworthyMannImBett is considered unworthyMannImBett is considered unworthy
Re: How to hook up in Switzerland?

That's precisely the discussion here. In Switzerland maybe you have to talk to 200 to get 2 friends and in some other countries 20 of them come to you to talk, and you choose 2 you like

So what we're doing here is trying to understand the resoning people have in this freaking town and how to understand each other better, since again for some reson people won't be so direct as you are here and call you a desperate, out of place, insecure, troll...nonchallantly

Forums I think nowadays became like inquisition, if you don't give kudos immediately to everyone who answered and if you simply want to get some more opinions or challenge some resonings and show why they are more easily said then applied in practice, you're called a TROLL immediately without regret :P

Quote:
View Post
And you complain because?


Newsflash mate: Just because you like some people, they dont have to like you back. People may choose to ignore you for any reason. You cant force someone to want to talk to you. You have to talk too hundeds of people to find a couple of friends
This user would like to thank MannImBett for this useful post:
  #142  
Old 02.11.2012, 16:43
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,428 Times in 10,577 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to hook up in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
Very valid point, but apparently mikebaxter doesn't agree as he groaned my admittance to such a lifestyle
He is a bit on a groaning fest trip, innit, would be nice to know why he disagreed with our posts.
This user would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #143  
Old 02.11.2012, 16:44
Chemmie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,144
Groaned at 33 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 4,951 Times in 2,233 Posts
Chemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to hook up in Switzerland?

Quote:
Truth always hurts the most old chap
I'm happy with my lifestyle

unless the groan was just a sound-effect for emphasis
The following 4 users would like to thank Chemmie for this useful post:
  #144  
Old 02.11.2012, 16:44
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 9,131
Groaned at 170 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 25,643 Times in 6,892 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to hook up in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
it was feeling a bit gang rape-y here
It's one way to get laid.
The following 3 users would like to thank adrianlondon for this useful post:
  #145  
Old 02.11.2012, 16:53
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 59
Groaned at 50 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 64 Times in 40 Posts
MannImBett is considered unworthyMannImBett is considered unworthyMannImBett is considered unworthy
Re: How to hook up in Switzerland?

Here is your link

http://www.browndailyherald.com/stud...ions-1.2677102

Quote:
View Post
And that's in essence why people should not believe what they read on the internet: A guy getting zero dates, blaming it on cultural differences and asking EF for advice somehwere else publishes pseudo-psychologic dating tips.

We want a link to that! That sounds like the right read for a Friday...
This user would like to thank MannImBett for this useful post:
  #146  
Old 02.11.2012, 16:54
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Basel-Stadt
Posts: 43
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 40 Times in 23 Posts
NewGuy has made some interesting contributions
Re: How to hook up in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
Something tells me this guy is Eastern European. If that is the case, can you not hang out with the people from that community? Will be a lot easier for you than to ask for advice from the vultures on EF
Hmmm... my first reaction to this post was WTF (luckily, I didn't have an EF account and it took me a few minutes to create one, time which allowed me to think more about this) - you will see why if you check my profile.

On the other side I have to admit that I fully understand why someone like IK36 would generalize and talk about Eastern Europeans and infer that the OP behavior is associated with them. On the other side, being an EE myself, but having lived in the US and now in CH for quite a while now, having witnessed different behaviors and adaptation (or not in some cases) to a new society (for example UK citizens living in Basel, claiming CH to be home, but then doing nothing to integrate), I find it unfair to be included in a generalization like this, and, by inference, to be associated with the OP.

Now going back to the OP, I have to admit that based on all his posts (tone,attitude, etc.), I believe he is a lost cause. Not sure why any woman, good or very good, or not so good looking, would spend more then 5 sec (other than to tell this guy to FO) chating with him. I won't even try to provide an advice, from either own experience, or observations of others' experiences, since it seems like he's just too full of himself to consider even the most common sense advices that some of the more well intentioned EF's provided in this thread.
The following 5 users would like to thank NewGuy for this useful post:
  #147  
Old 02.11.2012, 16:55
Jobsrobertsharpii's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Z-U-R-I-C-H
Posts: 2,335
Groaned at 173 Times in 124 Posts
Thanked 3,384 Times in 1,536 Posts
Jobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to hook up in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
He is a bit on a groaning fest trip, innit, would be nice to know why he disagreed with our posts.
He has a paradigm in his mind, of "how things should be," based on "how things were" in his home country. He doesn't like us telling him that he's wearing rose-tinted glasses. Didn't he just bump up to Newbie 1st Class? Flexing his finger muscles, maybe?
  #148  
Old 02.11.2012, 16:55
The_Love_Doctor's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zugerberg, Zug
Posts: 3,266
Groaned at 72 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 3,715 Times in 1,747 Posts
The_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to hook up in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
it was feeling a bit gang rape-y here
Quote:
View Post
It's one way to get laid.
And 9 out of 10 people...

Ok I'll get me coat
The following 4 users would like to thank The_Love_Doctor for this useful post:
  #149  
Old 02.11.2012, 16:57
IK36's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: VD
Posts: 360
Groaned at 70 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 297 Times in 145 Posts
IK36 has earned some respectIK36 has earned some respect
Re: How to hook up in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
Hmmm... my first reaction to this post was WTF (luckily, I didn't have an EF account and it took me a few minutes to create one, time which allowed me to think more about this) - you will see why if you check my profile.

On the other side I have to admit that I fully understand why someone like IK36 would generalize and talk about Eastern Europeans and infer that the OP behavior is associated with them. On the other side, being an EE myself, but having lived in the US and now in CH for quite a while now, having witnessed different behaviors and adaptation (or not in some cases) to a new society (for example UK citizens living in Basel, claiming CH to be home, but then doing nothing to integrate), I find it unfair to be included in a generalization like this, and, by inference, to be associated with the OP.

Now going back to the OP, I have to admit that based on all his posts (tone,attitude, etc.), I believe he is a lost cause. Not sure why any woman, good or very good, or not so good looking, would spend more then 5 sec (other than to tell this guy to FO) chating with him. I won't even try to provide an advice, from either own experience, or observations of others' experiences, since it seems like he's just too full of himself to consider even the most common sense advices that some of the more well intentioned EF's provided in this thread.
Hey, cupcake, I was only trying to help. The OP is clearly Russian. He is very direct and should tone it down a bit. That's all.

PS. Wasn't the first Borat movie shot in Romania?
  #150  
Old 02.11.2012, 17:02
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 59
Groaned at 50 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 64 Times in 40 Posts
MannImBett is considered unworthyMannImBett is considered unworthyMannImBett is considered unworthy
Re: How to hook up in Switzerland?

Too bad you must behave, nice and obedient girl...

Quote:
View Post
Entertaining thread, makes a good lazy Friday read! This post is not that bad, except all I hear is "I", "I", "I". Some women out there might like that type of controlling, "full of myself" behavior I guess... I do agree with you about life being the best hobby.

You wrote several times about people being on FB/online, not having the courage to show their face and talk directly, etc. Fair enough, come down one Thursday night to the Viadukt as grumpygrapefruit suggested, one to break away from your usual environment, and two because there are lots of cool people (men and women) to meet.

I am happy with a nice man whom I love very much, and so I must behave. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, because sometimes people in real life turn out much better than how they sound online, but I won't deny that if I had come across a thread like this when I was still single, with the kind of attitude that comes out of your posts, I would have challenged you to meet in real life and would have greatly enjoyed crumbling down these pompous walls you put up and eating you alive, piece by piece, and very slowly. With a smile on my face the whole time.

Good luck "hooking up".
The following 2 users would like to thank MannImBett for this useful post:
  #151  
Old 02.11.2012, 17:05
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,428 Times in 10,577 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to hook up in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
Hmmm... my first reaction to this post was WTF (luckily, I didn't have an EF account and it took me a few minutes to create one, time which allowed me to think more about this) - you will see why if you check my profile.

On the other side I have to admit that I fully understand why someone like IK36 would generalize and talk about Eastern Europeans and infer that the OP behavior is associated with them. On the other side, being an EE myself, but having lived in the US and now in CH for quite a while now, having witnessed different behaviors and adaptation (or not in some cases) to a new society (for example UK citizens living in Basel, claiming CH to be home, but then doing nothing to integrate), I find it unfair to be included in a generalization like this, and, by inference, to be associated with the OP.

Now going back to the OP, I have to admit that based on all his posts (tone,attitude, etc.), I believe he is a lost cause. Not sure why any woman, good or very good, or not so good looking, would spend more then 5 sec (other than to tell this guy to FO) chating with him. I won't even try to provide an advice, from either own experience, or observations of others' experiences, since it seems like he's just too full of himself to consider even the most common sense advices that some of the more well intentioned EF's provided in this thread.
Welcome to the forum.

Quote:
View Post
Hey, cupcake, I was only trying to help. The OP is clearly Russian. He is very direct ...
Direct is probably ok, but rude is not. It takes people a while to get aware of cultural differences, though. I remember the chaos when I have to reset my head when coming home, where not being direct is considered rude (suspicious, wishywashy), one becomes too diplomatic here to be able to bond with folks back home fast..

Anyways, back to Borat.
This user would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #152  
Old 02.11.2012, 17:06
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 59
Groaned at 50 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 64 Times in 40 Posts
MannImBett is considered unworthyMannImBett is considered unworthyMannImBett is considered unworthy
Re: How to hook up in Switzerland?

Sure this sounds like a Fox and Grapes story, you relized the grapes are bitter, and set goals to eat...potatos...instead of grapes, and thus now you meet and even exceed your goals efortlessly since they are set too low.

If it was otherwise, you'd provide more details about what and how exactly changed, what are you results now in solid terms and numbers and facts, not a "universe opened and everything just came...".
Sounds like one of those speeches given by millionaires about how everything just comes...naturally....

Quote:
View Post
Slow week I guess.

Personally, I think the OP has self-esteem issues, it has happened to me before. I've felt I needed "success" with girls to feel better about myself, when in fact, it needs to work the other way around...I needed to feel better in my own skin, then everything else came naturally. Now I am solid and complete with myself, and I have no issues or difficulties "hooking up" for want of a better term.

A bit of effort on integration would not go astray either.
This user would like to thank MannImBett for this useful post:
  #153  
Old 02.11.2012, 17:07
IK36's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: VD
Posts: 360
Groaned at 70 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 297 Times in 145 Posts
IK36 has earned some respectIK36 has earned some respect
Re: How to hook up in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
Welcome to the forum.



Direct is probably ok, but rude is not. It takes people a while to get aware of cultural differences, though. I remember the chaos when I have to reset my head when coming home, where not being direct is considered rude (suspicious, wishywashy), one becomes too diplomatic here to be able to bond with folks back home fast..

Anyways, back to Borat.
If "gang-rapey" is diplomatic and I am scared to think what direct would look like coming from you!
  #154  
Old 02.11.2012, 17:08
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Basel-Stadt
Posts: 43
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 40 Times in 23 Posts
NewGuy has made some interesting contributions
Re: How to hook up in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
Hey, cupcake, I was only trying to help. The OP is clearly Russian. He is very direct and should tone it down a bit. That's all.

PS. Wasn't the first Borat movie shot in Romania?
Cupcake?! Wow, you are really smart, and brave (hiding behind your keyboard), and well intentioned. Fyi, Eastern Europe is not Russia. There are some other countries (I am assuming that you do know how to use some mapping software and learn more about that region). Oh, and just another fact for you: Romania is the only country in Eastern Europe where we speak a Latin origin language, Romanian, (contrary to the popular belief in the US, and, I am assuming, UK, that we speak Russian).

And the answer to your question is yes, that American movie was shot in Romania, although they were suggesting that the action takes place in a different country. And yes, they did choose the lowest class of Romanian minorities they could find, paid them and tricked them into thinking that they were doing a documentary about how bad living in Romania is in order to be able to get a political asylum for them in the US). Funny movie though (although it seems like it managed to create a biased view in minds of people like you).

Just out of curiosity: where are you from and have you ever visited Eastern Europe?
The following 3 users would like to thank NewGuy for this useful post:
  #155  
Old 02.11.2012, 17:10
IK36's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: VD
Posts: 360
Groaned at 70 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 297 Times in 145 Posts
IK36 has earned some respectIK36 has earned some respect
Re: How to hook up in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
Cupcake?! Wow, you are really smart, and brave (hiding behind your keyboard), and well intentioned. Fyi, Eastern Europe is not Russia. There are some other countries (I am assuming that you do know how to use some mapping software and learn more about that region). Oh, and just another fact for you: Romania is the only country in Eastern Europe where we speak a Latin origin language, Romanian, (contrary to the popular belief in the US, and, I am assuming, UK, that we speak Russian).

And the answer to your question is yes, that American movie was shot in Romania, although they were suggesting that the action takes place in a different country. And yes, they did choose the lowest class of Romanian minorities they could find, paid them and tricked them into thinking that they were doing a documentary about how bad living in Romania is in order to be able to get a political asylum for them in the US). Funny movie though (although it seems like it managed to create a biased view in minds of people like you).

Just out of curiosity: where are you from and have you ever visited Eastern Europe?
I am from Kazakhstan you moron
  #156  
Old 02.11.2012, 17:10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Basel-Stadt
Posts: 43
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 40 Times in 23 Posts
NewGuy has made some interesting contributions
Re: How to hook up in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
Welcome to the forum.



Direct is probably ok, but rude is not. It takes people a while to get aware of cultural differences, though. I remember the chaos when I have to reset my head when coming home, where not being direct is considered rude (suspicious, wishywashy), one becomes too diplomatic here to be able to bond with folks back home fast..

Anyways, back to Borat.
Thank you MC; apologies for not introducing myself, but certain posts on this thread really got to me, getting my blood close to its boiling point...
This user would like to thank NewGuy for this useful post:
  #157  
Old 02.11.2012, 17:11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Basel-Stadt
Posts: 43
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 40 Times in 23 Posts
NewGuy has made some interesting contributions
Re: How to hook up in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
I am from Kazakhstan you moron
Enough said...
  #158  
Old 02.11.2012, 17:13
IK36's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: VD
Posts: 360
Groaned at 70 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 297 Times in 145 Posts
IK36 has earned some respectIK36 has earned some respect
Re: How to hook up in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
Enough said...
Well, not really! Just wanted to see your reaction. But take a chill pill, dude
  #159  
Old 02.11.2012, 17:13
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 59
Groaned at 50 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 64 Times in 40 Posts
MannImBett is considered unworthyMannImBett is considered unworthyMannImBett is considered unworthy
Re: How to hook up in Switzerland?

So you openly admit here you slept with all those guys who just walked up to you and go for an in-house-coffee?

Quote:
View Post
At least he is getting laid

  #160  
Old 02.11.2012, 17:16
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,428 Times in 10,577 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to hook up in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
..certain posts on this thread really got to me, getting my blood close to its boiling point...
There is no point, seriously, to stress over this. We are being facetious, so is OP, it seems..He will be ok.
The following 3 users would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
Closed Thread




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GGA Maur Inernet Hook-up Help fire1836 TV/internet/telephone 2 15.08.2012 19:38
TV/internet hook up help needed JG2008 TV/internet/telephone 9 19.06.2008 15:04
after 90 days are up, how long before going back to switzerland ron2110 Permits/visas/government 1 25.05.2008 16:55
How to get a Will drawn up in Switzerland? Music Mole Family matters/health 11 18.12.2007 12:42
Electronic expert to hook check my cable hook-up (Basel) ChinaRider TV/internet/telephone 2 26.08.2007 22:35


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0