Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05.11.2012, 16:03
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zurich Unterland
Posts: 3,315
Groaned at 145 Times in 99 Posts
Thanked 4,850 Times in 1,930 Posts
smoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond repute
Some things just happen at the right time!

Some of you may remember my thread about the 22 year old, and the problem in "re-training" him? Well .... hahahaa ..... life has a way of happening in perfect order!

Having come to terms with "how things are done in a civilized manner/how to clean your bedroom/do your washing/etc" .... on Friday night he was informed to report for 2 weeks of Zivilshutz training!

Oh dear ........... "I cannot sleep with a bunch of men in the same room!".

"I will demand that I have a private bedroom - with an en suite shower and toilet!"

His Dad said "With your arrogance, you are going to have a lovely time!"

Ta dum te dum ...... I`m singing This is going to be SO interesting! I can`t wait!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05.11.2012, 16:08
princessduck's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 891
Groaned at 41 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 492 Times in 265 Posts
princessduck has an excellent reputationprincessduck has an excellent reputationprincessduck has an excellent reputationprincessduck has an excellent reputation
Re: Some things just happen at the right time!

Waw! I do remember your thread and yeap you are right that some things just happen at the right time! And this couldn't be a better time . Now...let's see how he will come back and if he would back to his old self after 2 weeks. In my country we had the 1 year Military things and it was obligatory...too bad it is not obligatory now! 1 year there would change anybody!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank princessduck for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 05.11.2012, 16:09
hannah'sauntie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baden
Posts: 4,741
Groaned at 24 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 6,648 Times in 3,007 Posts
hannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Some things just happen at the right time!



Enjoy the peace and quiet Smoky, and keep us updated with his progress!

Hopefully this will be the making of him.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank hannah'sauntie for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 05.11.2012, 16:13
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 5,060
Groaned at 286 Times in 204 Posts
Thanked 10,679 Times in 4,008 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Some things just happen at the right time!

Hopefully, he'll have a new respect and appreciation for the freedoms he does have at home after doing his service! It's easy to take things for granted until they're gone.

Enjoy your peace and quiet! I hope things are easier for you once he returns.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05.11.2012, 16:16
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zurich Unterland
Posts: 3,315
Groaned at 145 Times in 99 Posts
Thanked 4,850 Times in 1,930 Posts
smoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Some things just happen at the right time!

Quote:
View Post
Hopefully, he'll have a new respect and appreciation for the freedoms he does have at home after doing his service! It's easy to take things for granted until they're gone.

Enjoy your peace and quiet! I hope things are easier for you once he returns.
Well, I did suggest to his Dad to request the military make it 6 weeks, or 6 months - 2 weeks is just too short a time! But seems 2 weeks it is, but it will be repeated a few times, at least
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05.11.2012, 16:20
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Some things just happen at the right time!

Quote:
View Post
Some of you may remember my thread about the 22 year old, and the problem in "re-training" him? Well .... hahahaa ..... life has a way of happening in perfect order!

Having come to terms with "how things are done in a civilized manner/how to clean your bedroom/do your washing/etc" .... on Friday night he was informed to report for 2 weeks of Zivilshutz training!

Oh dear ........... "I cannot sleep with a bunch of men in the same room!".

"I will demand that I have a private bedroom - with an en suite shower and toilet!"

His Dad said "With your arrogance, you are going to have a lovely time!"

Ta dum te dum ...... I`m singing This is going to be SO interesting! I can`t wait!
I missed your previous thread (will have to look for it) ...but....I got an 22 yr old daughter and I presume I kinda know what it may have been about
My daughter moved out into her own flat last March....and came down to earth with a biiiiggg bang!!
No more laundry/cleaning/cooking/nursing/mending services,if fridge is empty when she leaves for work,,,it is still empty when she returns etc etc

I just smirk now when she comes home for lunch or so and moans about how much she misses what she had here!
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 05.11.2012, 16:40
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zurich Unterland
Posts: 3,315
Groaned at 145 Times in 99 Posts
Thanked 4,850 Times in 1,930 Posts
smoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Some things just happen at the right time!

Quote:
View Post
I missed your previous thread (will have to look for it) ...but....I got an 22 yr old daughter and I presume I kinda know what it may have been about
My daughter moved out into her own flat last March....and came down to earth with a biiiiggg bang!!
No more laundry/cleaning/cooking/nursing/mending services,if fridge is empty when she leaves for work,,,it is still empty when she returns etc etc

I just smirk now when she comes home for lunch or so and moans about how much she misses what she had here!
Ja, it is an amazing experience for youngies these days, methinks?

A friends daughter moved into her own apartment with boyfriend, and I went with her mom to deliver some stuff. What an experience!

Entire passageway was crammed with junk in packets. No visible counter tops in kitchen. All pots on stove were encrusted. The "lounge" had their Hamster - and what a stink! Clothes lay EVERYWHERE.

I could not close the bathroom door when I went for a pee - bags of toilet rolls/dirty washing/toiletries were strewn wall to wall.

Her Mum wanted to escape to balcony to have a smoke - opened the door to outside and it was inaccessible! Balcony was used for the recycle stuff waiting to be delivered to dump - wall to wall cardboad/papers/bottles/cans/petflasche.

Makes one wonder. Her Mum is a fantastic housekeeper - HOW did the daughter learn to live opposite to this? Or do some people just thrive in their own mess?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05.11.2012, 16:43
gata's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Geneva
Posts: 3,888
Groaned at 67 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 3,629 Times in 1,702 Posts
gata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Some things just happen at the right time!

Nice! The thread to look forward to for a couple of weeks! We want an update every day!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank gata for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 05.11.2012, 16:44
gata's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Geneva
Posts: 3,888
Groaned at 67 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 3,629 Times in 1,702 Posts
gata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Some things just happen at the right time!

Quote:
View Post
Ja, it is an amazing experience for youngies these days, methinks?

A friends daughter moved into her own apartment with boyfriend, and I went with her mom to deliver some stuff. What an experience!

Entire passageway was crammed with junk in packets. No visible counter tops in kitchen. All pots on stove were encrusted. The "lounge" had their Hamster - and what a stink! Clothes lay EVERYWHERE.

I could not close the bathroom door when I went for a pee - bags of toilet rolls/dirty washing/toiletries were strewn wall to wall.

Her Mum wanted to escape to balcony to have a smoke - opened the door to outside and it was inaccessible! Balcony was used for the recycle stuff waiting to be delivered to dump - wall to wall cardboad/papers/bottles/cans/petflasche.

Makes one wonder. Her Mum is a fantastic housekeeper - HOW did the daughter learn to live opposite to this? Or do some people just thrive in their own mess?
Her mom did everything so her daughter didnt have to do anything. So she didnt learn
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank gata for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 05.11.2012, 16:51
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zurich Unterland
Posts: 3,315
Groaned at 145 Times in 99 Posts
Thanked 4,850 Times in 1,930 Posts
smoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Some things just happen at the right time!

Quote:
View Post
Nice! The thread to look forward to for a couple of weeks! We want an update every day!
Just wait for his return ....... (there`s a piece of music that fits this part, a classical piece, usually played as Dracula opens his coffin?)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05.11.2012, 16:51
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Geneva and Nendaz
Posts: 1,063
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 1,178 Times in 490 Posts
SuisseRomand has a reputation beyond reputeSuisseRomand has a reputation beyond reputeSuisseRomand has a reputation beyond reputeSuisseRomand has a reputation beyond reputeSuisseRomand has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Some things just happen at the right time!

Quote:
View Post
Makes one wonder. Her Mum is a fantastic housekeeper - HOW did the daughter learn to live opposite to this? Or do some people just thrive in their own mess?
Probably a reaction to her mum.
I know a woman who is an incredible cleaner, never seen that before. Her mum is just the opposite, never seen that before too
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank SuisseRomand for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 05.11.2012, 16:52
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Some things just happen at the right time!

Quote:
View Post
Ja, it is an amazing experience for youngies these days, methinks?

A friends daughter moved into her own apartment with boyfriend, and I went with her mom to deliver some stuff. What an experience!

Entire passageway was crammed with junk in packets. No visible counter tops in kitchen. All pots on stove were encrusted. The "lounge" had their Hamster - and what a stink! Clothes lay EVERYWHERE.

I could not close the bathroom door when I went for a pee - bags of toilet rolls/dirty washing/toiletries were strewn wall to wall.

Her Mum wanted to escape to balcony to have a smoke - opened the door to outside and it was inaccessible! Balcony was used for the recycle stuff waiting to be delivered to dump - wall to wall cardboad/papers/bottles/cans/petflasche.

Makes one wonder. Her Mum is a fantastic housekeeper - HOW did the daughter learn to live opposite to this? Or do some people just thrive in their own mess?
Yep...it was exactly the same here..

In her flat now ( shes' got flat mate) shared living room, bathroom and kitchen are tidy...but her room.....rolleyes....worse than when she still was here. But it's her own mess now and if she wants to live in a pigsty...then so be it. The upside of it is ...i heard that dirt makes your health stronger so that you fall less ill ( irony)

I used to be a tad chaotic Teenie as well, but never to that extent! So it's anyone's guess where she's got that from ....
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05.11.2012, 16:55
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Some things just happen at the right time!

Quote:
View Post
Probably a reaction to her mum.
I know a woman who is an incredible cleaner, never seen that before. Her mum is just the opposite, never seen that before too

Yeah, blame the mother, I would

I have 2 daughters, one is very messy (a full-time working mum too, a partner in her highly successful City firm), never irons, etc.

The other one has a meticulously kept house, everything perfect, she irons her thongs!

Yeah - i totally blame the mother

Last edited by Odile; 05.11.2012 at 17:36.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 05.11.2012, 17:02
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zurich Unterland
Posts: 3,315
Groaned at 145 Times in 99 Posts
Thanked 4,850 Times in 1,930 Posts
smoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Some things just happen at the right time!

Quote:
View Post
Just wait for his return ....... (there`s a piece of music that fits this part, a classical piece, usually played as Dracula opens his coffin?)
Just the first 30seconds of this ...... http://youtu.be/ho9rZjlsyYY
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05.11.2012, 18:34
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Geneva and Nendaz
Posts: 1,063
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 1,178 Times in 490 Posts
SuisseRomand has a reputation beyond reputeSuisseRomand has a reputation beyond reputeSuisseRomand has a reputation beyond reputeSuisseRomand has a reputation beyond reputeSuisseRomand has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Some things just happen at the right time!

Quote:
Yeah, blame the mother, I would

I have 2 daughters, one is very messy (a full-time working mum too, a partner in her highly successful City firm), never irons, etc.

The other one has a meticulously kept house, everything perfect, she irons her thongs!

Yeah - i totally blame the mother
It's ALWAYS the fault of the parents. That's why I will not have kid.

Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05.11.2012, 19:11
Chrisso's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmensdorf, ZH
Posts: 562
Groaned at 30 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 432 Times in 203 Posts
Chrisso has a reputation beyond reputeChrisso has a reputation beyond reputeChrisso has a reputation beyond reputeChrisso has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Some things just happen at the right time!

Quote:
View Post
Her mom did everything so her daughter didnt have to do anything. So she didnt learn
A very common problem here I've found. Too spoilt for too long. And is it just me or do none of the young people here know how to cook. My wife can muster up a Tomato and Mozzeralla salad and that is it....

Lucky I enjoy my cooking
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 16.11.2012, 08:37
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zurich Unterland
Posts: 3,315
Groaned at 145 Times in 99 Posts
Thanked 4,850 Times in 1,930 Posts
smoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Some things just happen at the right time!

Quote:
View Post
Nice! The thread to look forward to for a couple of weeks! We want an update every day!
Update - Hi there. One week into the 2 week stint. Amazing stuff!

This morning (Friday, end of the first week) His Lordship has been promoted to "Boss/Headman of his team" and is off to Zurich for more intense instructions!

I nearly fell off my chair/choked on my coffee when I heard this.

It also means that he will now be doing a regular, every year, stint of Zivilschutz and Be In Charge Of Training New Recruits .........!

I`m wondering if he has found a new joy in life ...... being neat, tidy, orderly? .... and now able to pass on his newfound joy to others?
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank smoky for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 16.11.2012, 08:45
Jack of all trades.'s Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 813
Groaned at 22 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 667 Times in 325 Posts
Jack of all trades. has a reputation beyond reputeJack of all trades. has a reputation beyond reputeJack of all trades. has a reputation beyond reputeJack of all trades. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Some things just happen at the right time!

My son dreams of the day when he will be called up for military service.



Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 16.11.2012, 10:12
prof. taratonga's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Zürich & Bignasco
Posts: 2,310
Groaned at 27 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 4,546 Times in 1,441 Posts
prof. taratonga has a reputation beyond reputeprof. taratonga has a reputation beyond reputeprof. taratonga has a reputation beyond reputeprof. taratonga has a reputation beyond reputeprof. taratonga has a reputation beyond reputeprof. taratonga has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Some things just happen at the right time!

Quote:
View Post
This morning (Friday, end of the first week) His Lordship has been promoted to "Boss/Headman of his team" and is off to Zurich for more intense instructions!

I nearly fell off my chair/choked on my coffee when I heard this.

It also means that he will now be doing a regular, every year, stint of Zivilschutz and Be In Charge Of Training New Recruits .........!

I`m wondering if he has found a new joy in life ...... being neat, tidy, orderly? .... and now able to pass on his newfound joy to others?
You are qualified to be promoted in Zivilschutz if you are able to tie your shoes without help.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank prof. taratonga for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 16.11.2012, 10:27
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bern
Posts: 853
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 1,389 Times in 527 Posts
heckenhocker has a reputation beyond reputeheckenhocker has a reputation beyond reputeheckenhocker has a reputation beyond reputeheckenhocker has a reputation beyond reputeheckenhocker has a reputation beyond repute
Ha,ha....he probably thought promotion meant private room....not extra doses of Zivilschutz each year :-)
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Am I doing the right things ??? Ark3000 Employment 21 23.11.2010 18:38
Things that happen working in IT Chemmie Jokes/funnies 2 04.08.2010 11:49
Finding the right place to live the first time AmberLeigh15 Housing in general 2 12.03.2010 14:41
When bad things happen to good people....Why??? Tubbies-Mummy Daily life 133 04.01.2010 23:55


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0