Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 13.11.2012, 14:22
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Männedorf
Posts: 64
Groaned at 25 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 128 Times in 26 Posts
offski is considered knowledgeableoffski is considered knowledgeableoffski is considered knowledgeable
Re: Another one bites the dust...

It seems that being even slightly critical of any aspect of life in Switzerland causes great offence to the forum legends out there.

Some people can be very very insecure.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank offski for this useful post:
  #122  
Old 13.11.2012, 14:31
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,232
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,934 Times in 4,178 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Another one bites the dust...

Quote:
View Post
It seems that being even slightly critical of any aspect of life in Switzerland causes great offence to the forum legends out there.

Some people can be very very insecure.
...while others are very secure and have a different opinion... a bit like the rest of the world, really: it is fine if you criticise yourself, but no one like to be criticised.

As I said, good luck.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Carlos R for this useful post:
  #123  
Old 13.11.2012, 14:37
Confloozed's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,801
Groaned at 104 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 4,965 Times in 2,360 Posts
Confloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Another one bites the dust...

Quote:
View Post
It seems that being even slightly critical of any aspect of life in Switzerland causes great offence to the forum legends out there.

Some people can be very very insecure.
I don't think it's that. I think that when someone is critical about mundane details, and the way they go about being critical matters. If I am standing in front of someone, having a drink, and they say"This whole entire country is stupid, because I can't buy cheesy Nachos at 3am", well I have to think that from the way they said it, either they are being cynical, or really what an over generalization.

But as people are constantly coming and going, the guy 2 years ago, who hates there are no Nachos here, either got used to it, stopped complaining about it, or has been moved on, is now replaced a new perrson, who feels the same way about Nachos at 3am. It seems like people complain in obnoxious ways about something that is culturally different, and when the same lame argument keeps coming up, some of us get bored...or get the idea to open an all night Nachos stand in Oerlikon.

And at the same time, that is your personal experience, un benownst to yourself we have already heard it before and want to share your experience. When, more then likely each one of who first arrived here made the exact same kind of comments(small critisisms).

So it's not a question of the quality of the comment, but a question of time.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Confloozed for this useful post:
  #124  
Old 13.11.2012, 14:39
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 74
Groaned at 6 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 49 Times in 24 Posts
ZurichUK has no particular reputation at present
Re: Another one bites the dust...

Quote:
View Post
I don't think it's that. I think that when someone is critical about mundane details, and the way they go about being critical matters. If I am standing in front of someone, having a drink, and they say"This whole entire country is stupid, because I can't buy cheesy Nachos at 3am", well I have to think that from the way they said it, either they are being cynical, or really what an over generalization.

But as people are constantly coming and going, the guy 2 years ago, who hates there are no Nachos here, either got used to it, stopped complaining about it, or has been moved on, is now replaced a new perrson, who feels the same way about Nachos at 3am. It seems like people complain in obnoxious ways about something that is culturally different, and when the same lame argument keeps coming up, some of us get bored...or get the idea to open an all night Nachos stand in Oerlikon.

And at the same time, that is your personal experience, un benownst to yourself we have already heard it before and want to share your experience. When, more then likely each one of who first arrived here made the exact same kind of comments(small critisisms).

So it's not a question of the quality of the comment, but a question of time.
Is there an all night Nachos stand in Oerlikon or is that just an example of what a person might decide to do?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank ZurichUK for this useful post:
  #125  
Old 13.11.2012, 14:46
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Another one bites the dust...

Quote:
View Post
It seems that being even slightly critical of any aspect of life in Switzerland causes great offence to the forum legends out there.

Some people can be very very insecure.
I thought you had gone
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #126  
Old 13.11.2012, 14:47
Confloozed's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,801
Groaned at 104 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 4,965 Times in 2,360 Posts
Confloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Another one bites the dust...

Quote:
View Post
Is there an all night Nachos stand in Oerlikon or is that just an example of what a person might decide to do?
See, one person's complaint, might be another one's lemonade stand.

I wish there was...
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Confloozed for this useful post:
  #127  
Old 13.11.2012, 15:03
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 9,131
Groaned at 170 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 25,643 Times in 6,892 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Another one bites the dust...

Quote:
View Post
It seems that being even slightly critical of any aspect of life in Switzerland causes great offence to the forum legends out there.
I haven't seen any posts from you where you've been "slightly critical".

Quote:
View Post
That's because visitors from those countries don't get a paid a Swiss salary.
Even many Swiss don't get paid a "Swiss salary". Just because you do, no need to be arrogant about it.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at adrianlondon for this post:
  #128  
Old 13.11.2012, 15:13
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,191
Groaned at 11 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,781 Times in 704 Posts
ceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Another one bites the dust...

Quote:
View Post
I don't think it's that. I think that when someone is critical about mundane details, and the way they go about being critical matters. If I am standing in front of someone, having a drink, and they say"This whole entire country is stupid, because I can't buy cheesy Nachos at 3am", well I have to think that from the way they said it, either they are being cynical, or really what an over generalization.

But as people are constantly coming and going, the guy 2 years ago, who hates there are no Nachos here, either got used to it, stopped complaining about it, or has been moved on, is now replaced a new perrson, who feels the same way about Nachos at 3am. It seems like people complain in obnoxious ways about something that is culturally different, and when the same lame argument keeps coming up, some of us get bored...or get the idea to open an all night Nachos stand in Oerlikon.

And at the same time, that is your personal experience, un benownst to yourself we have already heard it before and want to share your experience. When, more then likely each one of who first arrived here made the exact same kind of comments(small critisisms).

So it's not a question of the quality of the comment, but a question of time.
I'm not missing Nachos and don't even know what they are but, even after all these years in la belle suisse, I still miss soft brown sugar, 2 kgs. of which I had to find room for in my suitcase when I came back from London last week.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank ceppych for this useful post:
  #129  
Old 13.11.2012, 15:15
Confloozed's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,801
Groaned at 104 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 4,965 Times in 2,360 Posts
Confloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Another one bites the dust...

Quote:
View Post
I'm not missing Nachos and don't even know what they are but, even after all these years in la belle suisse, I still miss soft brown sugar, 2 kgs. of which I had to find room for in my suitcase when I came back from London last week.
I was using nachos as a metaphor.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Confloozed for this useful post:
  #130  
Old 13.11.2012, 15:21
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Männedorf
Posts: 64
Groaned at 25 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 128 Times in 26 Posts
offski is considered knowledgeableoffski is considered knowledgeableoffski is considered knowledgeable
Re: Another one bites the dust...

I hear it takes about 5 years to fully settle in here. That's a long long time. Life's too short for that...if you have other options that is. Some don't.
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 13.11.2012, 15:22
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,191
Groaned at 11 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,781 Times in 704 Posts
ceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Another one bites the dust...

Quote:
View Post
I was using nachos as a metaphor.
aren't metaphors just a larger version of petits fours?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank ceppych for this useful post:
  #132  
Old 13.11.2012, 15:23
Confloozed's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,801
Groaned at 104 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 4,965 Times in 2,360 Posts
Confloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Another one bites the dust...

Quote:
View Post
I hear it takes about 5 years to fully settle in here. That's a long long time. Life's too short for that...if you have other options that is. Some don't.
You hear it takes? Based on what? Hearsay?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Confloozed for this useful post:
  #133  
Old 13.11.2012, 15:24
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Another one bites the dust...

Quote:
View Post
It seems that being even slightly critical of any aspect of life in Switzerland causes great offence to the forum legends out there.

Some people can be very very insecure.
You can be critical of whatever. As long as you do not sound like THIS one

http://www.blick.ch/news/schweiz/zue...id2102632.html
+
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=oQxfadkKQ_k

What however many on here found strange is that you enter into a discussions forum at the end of a 2 years stay. You would have had the possibility to visit Switzerland BEFORE starting your term, and then decide against. And Switzerland NEVER had to take drastic measures to prevent people from leaving, so that you for sure would have had the chance to terminate the matter earlier on.

And you did NOT criticize anything in particular, but simply confirmed that it was a mistake of you to come to Switzerland, and a second one to have stayed for the full term

Whether any of your contributions "caused offence" is another question. I do not believe that anybody felt offended
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #134  
Old 13.11.2012, 15:32
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Another one bites the dust...

Quote:
View Post
I don't think it's that. I think that when someone is critical about mundane details, and the way they go about being critical matters. If I am standing in front of someone, having a drink, and they say"This whole entire country is stupid, because I can't buy cheesy Nachos at 3am", well I have to think that from the way they said it, either they are being cynical, or really what an over generalization.

But as people are constantly coming and going, the guy 2 years ago, who hates there are no Nachos here, either got used to it, stopped complaining about it, or has been moved on, is now replaced a new perrson, who feels the same way about Nachos at 3am. It seems like people complain in obnoxious ways about something that is culturally different, and when the same lame argument keeps coming up, some of us get bored...or get the idea to open an all night Nachos stand in Oerlikon.

And at the same time, that is your personal experience, un benownst to yourself we have already heard it before and want to share your experience. When, more then likely each one of who first arrived here made the exact same kind of comments(small critisisms).

So it's not a question of the quality of the comment, but a question of time.
Do you need an assistant at your Nachos Stand in Oerlikon ? Just advise !
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #135  
Old 13.11.2012, 15:36
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 74
Groaned at 6 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 49 Times in 24 Posts
ZurichUK has no particular reputation at present
Re: Another one bites the dust...

I really want some nachos now.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank ZurichUK for this useful post:
  #136  
Old 13.11.2012, 15:39
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Another one bites the dust...

Quote:
View Post
I haven't seen any posts from you where you've been "slightly critical".

Even many Swiss don't get paid a "Swiss salary". Just because you do, no need to be arrogant about it.
Who mentioned the Swiss?

Nothing arrogant about my post, its an expat/English speaking forum and I am pretty sure that the majority of expats get paid a Swiss salary which compared to other countries will be a very generous salary.

My problem is when expats who more than likely do get paid a generous Swiss salary complain that everything is too expensive.
Yes it is expensive, that's why you have a generous salary.

Last edited by BonBon; 13.11.2012 at 16:30. Reason: For clarification
Reply With Quote
This user groans at for this post:
  #137  
Old 13.11.2012, 15:43
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 9,131
Groaned at 170 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 25,643 Times in 6,892 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Another one bites the dust...

Quote:
View Post
Who mentioned the Swiss?

Nothing arrogant about my post, its an expats forum and I am pretty sure that the majority of expats get paid a Swiss salary which compared to other countries will be a very generous salary.
What do you term a "Swiss salary"? And how many is "majority"? Say, as a percentage?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank adrianlondon for this useful post:
  #138  
Old 13.11.2012, 15:44
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 16,525
Groaned at 582 Times in 457 Posts
Thanked 24,743 Times in 9,962 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Another one bites the dust...

Quote:
View Post
Who mentioned the Swiss?

Nothing arrogant about my post, its an expats forum and I am pretty sure that the majority of expats get paid a Swiss salary which compared to other countries will be a very generous salary.

I thought it was a forum for English speakers in Switzerland?
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #139  
Old 13.11.2012, 15:46
Confloozed's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,801
Groaned at 104 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 4,965 Times in 2,360 Posts
Confloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Another one bites the dust...

Quote:
View Post
I thought it was a forum for English speakers in Switzerland?
Wrong again....
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 13.11.2012, 15:49
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Another one bites the dust...

Quote:
View Post
What do you term a "Swiss salary"? And how many is "majority"? Say, as a percentage?
A Swiss salary is a salary paid in Switzerland

I have no idea the percentage.
Are you trying to tell me that the job you do here is paid exactly the same in Italy, Spain, the UK?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another Mod bites the dust Assassin Forum support 6 27.12.2011 11:46
Another one bites the dust Sbrinz General off-topic 1 09.11.2011 13:12
Tax residence when one moves from one canton to another within a calendar Flower Finance/banking/taxation 8 15.04.2010 18:52
from one side of the globe to another... sannie Introductions 1 04.12.2007 11:21


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0