Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 19.12.2012, 16:18
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 28
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 25 Times in 10 Posts
Marvino has no particular reputation at present
Re: Scammed by the Zurich 'police'?

Quote:
View Post
Hahaha you gotta laugh

2 cops 1 Patrol car with nothing better to do than wake people up at 5:30 in the morning to collect a speeding fine.

I'm not dissing the system, I actually thinks its funny and part of living here. The cops came to my work to arrest me for a speeding misdemeanor a few years ago. I was on holiday at the time. Got 6 month ban, 7 day jail sentence suspended for 2 years and 2000chf fine. I learnt my lesson well!!
Ouch! I got a great deal then.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 19.12.2012, 16:19
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 28
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 25 Times in 10 Posts
Marvino has no particular reputation at present
Re: Scammed by the Zurich 'police'?

Quote:
View Post
Imho not so uncommon, if we are talking something important or an emergency (if not paid within the day maybe Betreibung, due to some time laps, a forgotten invoice or whatever?) or that OP knows the officers personally, also if only superficially.

What is odd however is the time they showed up. At that hour of the morning my stairs e.g. are still completely covered with ice, so it's not really a good choice to climb them up to ring at the door,

besides that a person might still be asleep (maybe they thought it to be a good idea to pass by quite early, leaving OP the possibility of being still on time to prepare everything, same procedure as every morning?).


P.S. Nobody would expect fake police officers (in full uniform and everything) with a claim of only 40 CHF. Also criminals if not live at least must do the investment in Switzerland, too )
I thought the time they showed was a form of punishment for not paying on time, for their trouble to collect. In other words, 'let's wake this a**hole up'
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Marvino for this useful post:
  #23  
Old 19.12.2012, 16:21
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Scammed by the Zurich 'police'?

Quote:
View Post
good question. I think I have seen a few of those weird 'flashes' in my peripheral vision a few times since I moved here, so I probably have a few tickets I don't know about, except that I should receive them in the mail.

Anyway, it was legitimate. Crazy.
What's so crazy about it? They came at that hour because that is when they are most likely to catch people at home! I find that when people come to Switzerland, where they come from will have much to do with the extent of their paranoia when they come to the country. If this threw you off just wait for the other goodies in store, you will have a good time on EF. However, it is understandable that you could be thrown off by such an incident. Glad it worked out for you...
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 19.12.2012, 16:21
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 28
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 25 Times in 10 Posts
Marvino has no particular reputation at present
Re: Scammed by the Zurich 'police'?

Quote:
View Post
This still sounds fishy to me.

I would expect that if a fine is not paid, they first send reminders, and if you still don't pay they go to the Betreibungsamt and you get letters from them. So even if the one or other letter didn't get delivered or was lost, you would definitely know something was afoot by then. I don't think they would send officers out to collect 40 Francs. That probably costs quite a bit more than what they're raising. My guess is that whoever told you that either didn't understand what you told them or you misunderstood them or they lied to you.
Well, I called the Zurich police number as per Mirfield's suggestion and they put me on with an English speaking cop and, like I said, he asked me what my problem was, since I owed the money. Call them yourselves. Its pretty funny and indeed a little unbelievable, but I'm convinced now that it was legit.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 19.12.2012, 16:23
simon_ch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 2,390
Groaned at 128 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 3,488 Times in 1,377 Posts
simon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Scammed by the Zurich 'police'?

Quote:
View Post
Hahaha you gotta laugh

2 cops 1 Patrol car with nothing better to do than wake people up at 5:30 in the morning to collect a speeding fine.

I'm not dissing the system, I actually thinks its funny and part of living here. The cops came to my work to arrest me for a speeding misdemeanor a few years ago. I was on holiday at the time. Got 6 month ban, 7 day jail sentence suspended for 2 years and 2000chf fine. I learnt my lesson well!!
Ouch! What was that for?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 19.12.2012, 16:23
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CH
Posts: 1,038
Groaned at 244 Times in 117 Posts
Thanked 699 Times in 434 Posts
Bucentaure is considered a nuisanceBucentaure is considered a nuisanceBucentaure is considered a nuisance
Re: Scammed by the Zurich 'police'?

Quote:
View Post
I thought the time they showed was a form of punishment for not paying on time, for their trouble to collect. In other words, 'let's wake this a**hole up'
I think it is more that they wanted to do a favor to somebody who obviously did forget to pay and/or is new to a country, so that there wouldn't be negative consequences for him.

Don't think it's so pleasant to wake someone up at that hour or to disturb him when he gets prepared for word and/or kids.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 19.12.2012, 16:23
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 28
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 25 Times in 10 Posts
Marvino has no particular reputation at present
Re: Scammed by the Zurich 'police'?

Quote:
What's so crazy about it? They came at that hour because that is when they are most likely to catch people at home! I find that when people come to Switzerland, where they come from will have much to do with the extent of their paranoia when they come to the country. If this threw you off just wait for the other goodies in store, you will have a good time on EF. However, it is understandable that you could be thrown off by such an incident. Glad it worked out for you...
It was crazy. But I think its great. I am blessed in my life with all these little things that happen to me all the time. I'm sure I am to 'blame', but I never seem to have a dull moment. Always something interesting going on.

PS: I've been here for 6 months, so I know of the other goodies, but I love it here so far.

And the women, my God.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Marvino for this useful post:
  #28  
Old 19.12.2012, 16:24
JBZ86's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zurich and various mountains
Posts: 3,709
Groaned at 520 Times in 337 Posts
Thanked 4,258 Times in 1,944 Posts
JBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Scammed by the Zurich 'police'?

Wow speedster, getting a better reaction than the last poster bemused by police knocking at the door over a speeding fine.

Everyone thought it was perfectly normal then and slandered the poor OP for questioning the audacity of the situation.

Police were at my door over a Traffic Ticket?

Fickle bunch these EFers
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 19.12.2012, 16:26
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Scammed by the Zurich 'police'?

Quote:
View Post
Well, I called the Zurich police number as per Mirfield's suggestion and they put me on with an English speaking cop and, like I said, he asked me what my problem was, since I owed the money. Call them yourselves. Its pretty funny and indeed a little unbelievable, but I'm convinced now that it was legit.
That's absolutely taking the piss and is totally unacceptable. If you were to do that to everyone who owed you money, they'd have you up for harassment.
As regards the fine, you normally have 30 days to pay up and are totally not obliged to pay it there and then.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 19.12.2012, 16:27
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 28
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 25 Times in 10 Posts
Marvino has no particular reputation at present
Re: Scammed by the Zurich 'police'?

Quote:
View Post
This still sounds fishy to me.

I would expect that if a fine is not paid, they first send reminders, and if you still don't pay they go to the Betreibungsamt and you get letters from them. So even if the one or other letter didn't get delivered or was lost, you would definitely know something was afoot by then. I don't think they would send officers out to collect 40 Francs. That probably costs quite a bit more than what they're raising. My guess is that whoever told you that either didn't understand what you told them or you misunderstood them or they lied to you.
No, he understood. He even confronted me about what my problem with this was. Give them a call. I'm convinced it was legitimate.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 19.12.2012, 16:29
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 340 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 26,264 Times in 11,001 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Scammed by the Zurich 'police'?

Quote:
View Post
No, he understood. He even confronted me about what my problem with this was. Give them a call. I'm convinced it was legitimate.
could be, but I'm still surprised you didn't get one single letter asking you to pay.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #32  
Old 19.12.2012, 16:29
Tim8803's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 417
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 445 Times in 204 Posts
Tim8803 has earned the respect of manyTim8803 has earned the respect of manyTim8803 has earned the respect of many
Re: Scammed by the Zurich 'police'?

Quote:
View Post
And the women, my God.
You also have women knocking on your door at 5:30am? Care to share any tips with the rest of us?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Tim8803 for this useful post:
  #33  
Old 19.12.2012, 16:30
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Scammed by the Zurich 'police'?

Quote:
View Post
Wow speedster, getting a better reaction than the last poster bemused by police knocking at the door over a speeding fine.

Everyone thought it was perfectly normal then and slandered the poor OP for questioning the audacity of the situation.

Police were at my door over a Traffic Ticket?

Fickle bunch these EFers
Slightly different situation, no?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 19.12.2012, 16:31
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 28
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 25 Times in 10 Posts
Marvino has no particular reputation at present
Re: Scammed by the Zurich 'police'?

Quote:
View Post
This still sounds fishy to me.

I would expect that if a fine is not paid, they first send reminders, and if you still don't pay they go to the Betreibungsamt and you get letters from them. So even if the one or other letter didn't get delivered or was lost, you would definitely know something was afoot by then. I don't think they would send officers out to collect 40 Francs. That probably costs quite a bit more than what they're raising. My guess is that whoever told you that either didn't understand what you told them or you misunderstood them or they lied to you.
I thought I replied to this, but don't see it. It was fishy, but I called, and the English speaking cop even asked me what my problem was with this. I'm sure now it was legitimate.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 19.12.2012, 16:31
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Scammed by the Zurich 'police'?

Quote:
View Post
No, he understood. He even confronted me about what my problem with this was. Give them a call. I'm convinced it was legitimate.
You are fine...don't worry about it anymore. Now its on to the next adventure!..LOL
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 19.12.2012, 16:31
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 340 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 26,264 Times in 11,001 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Scammed by the Zurich 'police'?

Quote:
View Post
You also have women knocking on your door at 5:30am? Care to share any tips with the rest of us?
Cross post to the other thread from the guy living above a certain "bar" in the Langstrasse area.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 19.12.2012, 16:32
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: north
Posts: 6,132
Groaned at 218 Times in 138 Posts
Thanked 5,100 Times in 2,636 Posts
rob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Scammed by the Zurich 'police'?

Quote:
View Post
Wow speedster, getting a better reaction than the last poster bemused by police knocking at the door over a speeding fine.

Everyone thought it was perfectly normal then and slandered the poor OP for questioning the audacity of the situation.

Police were at my door over a Traffic Ticket?

Fickle bunch these EFers

no the other person was being an arse and wanting to "lawyer up" and blame someone else for their own mistake... As the cops asked about the ID of the driver its obvious the speed was quite high. " normal" tickets dont ask about driver ID and are also not recorded.

I suspect that one was hence the ID issue.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank rob1 for this useful post:
  #38  
Old 19.12.2012, 16:32
JBZ86's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zurich and various mountains
Posts: 3,709
Groaned at 520 Times in 337 Posts
Thanked 4,258 Times in 1,944 Posts
JBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Scammed by the Zurich 'police'?

Quote:
View Post
Slightly different situation, no?
Well there was the difference of the discrepancy between named driver and photographed driver, but the bemusement was mainly the police knocking on the door over such an incident, everyone was totally on board with the police then.

Just saying
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 19.12.2012, 16:32
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 340 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 26,264 Times in 11,001 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Scammed by the Zurich 'police'?

Quote:
View Post
I thought I replied to this, but don't see it. It was fishy, but I called, and the English speaking cop even asked me what my problem was with this. I'm sure now it was legitimate.
Yes, you replied three times in fact
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 19.12.2012, 16:38
Tim8803's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 417
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 445 Times in 204 Posts
Tim8803 has earned the respect of manyTim8803 has earned the respect of manyTim8803 has earned the respect of many
Re: Scammed by the Zurich 'police'?

Quote:
View Post
Cross post to the other thread from the guy living above a certain "bar" in the Langstrasse area.

Ha ha - speeding ticket is probably cheaper then!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Tim8803 for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
scams, traffic tickets, zurich police




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Almost got scammed by an Auto Seller.... The Real Stig Transportation/driving 20 23.06.2013 00:13
I've been had [possibly scammed by a tour operator] Angela-74 Complaints corner 251 20.01.2010 10:49
I think I am being scammed by Cablecom Gaggiol0 TV/internet/telephone 5 26.06.2009 21:36
Pulled over by the police in Zurich gooner Transportation/driving 5 20.11.2007 18:53


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0