Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 23.12.2012, 21:30
cheesey's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,148
Groaned at 25 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 1,784 Times in 574 Posts
cheesey has a reputation beyond reputecheesey has a reputation beyond reputecheesey has a reputation beyond reputecheesey has a reputation beyond reputecheesey has a reputation beyond repute
Swiss tradition of bagpipes?!?!??

I've just had the misfortune of enduring the sound of bagpipes leading a precision of donkeys at a Christmas market in the west of Switzerland. I've previously seen bagpipes played as part of a mock medieval display in Ticino.

Are bagpipes historically associated with Switzerland??? Or is it just a question of bad taste?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23.12.2012, 21:38
Homer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Berner Oberland
Posts: 670
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 758 Times in 342 Posts
Homer has a reputation beyond reputeHomer has a reputation beyond reputeHomer has a reputation beyond reputeHomer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss tradition of bagpipes?!?!??

I think they are derived from a Roman instrument if memory serves, so there are a few places which still have them as a traditional instrument, again, if memory serves they appear in the celtic/iberian tradition.

Was once in a neighbourhood restaurant in Bern for a family celebration and one of the locals started up, scared the living daylights out of my six month old nephew.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Homer for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 23.12.2012, 21:41
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,809
Groaned at 99 Times in 90 Posts
Thanked 8,679 Times in 4,331 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss tradition of bagpipes?!?!??

Wikipedia is the source of all knowledge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schweizer_Sackpfeife
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bagpipes
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank miniMia for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 23.12.2012, 21:50
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,903
Groaned at 96 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 4,526 Times in 1,801 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss tradition of bagpipes?!?!??

They would.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 23.12.2012, 21:59
Simeon's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Zürisee
Posts: 238
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 316 Times in 157 Posts
Simeon has an excellent reputationSimeon has an excellent reputationSimeon has an excellent reputationSimeon has an excellent reputation
Re: Swiss tradition of bagpipes?!?!??

There is a band working on reviving the forgotten tradition of the Swiss bagpipes
among other things.

http://www.tritonus.ch/Schweizer%20S...ackpfeifen.htm

Sadly, the Bagpipes are not everybody´s "thing".
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 23.12.2012, 22:02
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,026
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss tradition of bagpipes?!?!??

Quote:
View Post
I've just had the misfortune of enduring the sound of bagpipes leading a precision of donkeys at a Christmas market in the west of Switzerland. I've previously seen bagpipes played as part of a mock medieval display in Ticino.

Are bagpipes historically associated with Switzerland??? Or is it just a question of bad taste?
While the Dudelsack historically DID exist in Switzerland and in neighbouring areas, there is NO tradition. If you hear the instrument here it either is Scots or Irishmen preserving THEIR tradition or Swiss people enjoying what they learnt to know up in Scotland and/or Ireland

Soundwise, the "Basler Pfeifen" (pipes of Basel) are faintly similar in a way.

The instrument however amazingly HAS a tradition in the Maghreb (Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia), but I would give the honour of being the "preservers" of that instruments to the Scots and Irishmen.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 23.12.2012, 22:04
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,903
Groaned at 96 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 4,526 Times in 1,801 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss tradition of bagpipes?!?!??

Quote:
View Post
While the Dudelsack historically DID exist in Switzerland and in neighbouring areas, there is NO tradition. If you hear the instrument here it either is Scots or Irishmen preserving THEIR tradition or Swiss people enjoying what they learnt to know up in Scotland and/or Ireland

Soundwise, the "Basler Pfeifen" (pipes of Basel) are faintly similar in a way.

The instrument however amazingly HAS a tradition in the Maghreb (Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia), but I would give the honour of being the "preservers" of that instruments to the Scots and Irishmen.
Wolli, you never fail to amaze me!

(You should go on a trivia game show!)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 23.12.2012, 22:06
cheesey's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,148
Groaned at 25 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 1,784 Times in 574 Posts
cheesey has a reputation beyond reputecheesey has a reputation beyond reputecheesey has a reputation beyond reputecheesey has a reputation beyond reputecheesey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss tradition of bagpipes?!?!??

Perversors of the I instrument? I thought it was just stubbornness.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 23.12.2012, 22:07
Simeon's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Zürisee
Posts: 238
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 316 Times in 157 Posts
Simeon has an excellent reputationSimeon has an excellent reputationSimeon has an excellent reputationSimeon has an excellent reputation
Re: Swiss tradition of bagpipes?!?!??

Quote:
View Post
While the Dudelsack historically DID exist in Switzerland and in neighbouring areas, there is NO tradition. If you hear the instrument here it either is Scots or Irishmen preserving THEIR tradition or Swiss people enjoying what they learnt to know up in Scotland and/or Ireland

Soundwise, the "Basler Pfeifen" (pipes of Basel) are faintly similar in a way.

The instrument however amazingly HAS a tradition in the Maghreb (Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia), but I would give the honour of being the "preservers" of that instruments to the Scots and Irishmen.
I would add that Scottland and Ireland became beacons of the Bagpipe because of the standardisation which their instruments offer. In the Maghreb, as well as Turkey,Iran, Greece, Eastern Europe, Normandy, Galicia, the bagpipe has very personal touches and is very often made by the musician himself, a very ancient tradition in real folk music.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Simeon for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 23.12.2012, 22:18
J.Marple's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Wynental
Posts: 2,412
Groaned at 38 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 5,839 Times in 1,806 Posts
J.Marple has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Marple has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Marple has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Marple has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Marple has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Marple has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss tradition of bagpipes?!?!??

My sister (we are Galician) learnt to play it when she was young, and it was torture, I tell ya
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank J.Marple for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 23.12.2012, 22:26
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,903
Groaned at 96 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 4,526 Times in 1,801 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss tradition of bagpipes?!?!??

Well, nothing turns me on like yodeling and bagpipes!

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Pancakes for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 24.12.2012, 08:09
HauskinsDale's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lozärn & Encinitas San Diego
Posts: 134
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 64 Times in 40 Posts
HauskinsDale is considered unworthyHauskinsDale is considered unworthyHauskinsDale is considered unworthy
Re: Swiss tradition of bagpipes?!?!??

Sali,
Well
apparently you don't know of any Scottish or Irish musician families that live in or around Lozärn.(It's pretty traditional around this Christmas time;and I myself and many others love it.)

Ich wünsche allen frohe Weihnacht,Fröhlichs Wiehnachtsfescht;und Wiehnachtstäg & en guete Rutsch ins neue positive Johr 2013.

Merry bless Christmas to all.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank HauskinsDale for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 24.12.2012, 13:31
FrankZappa's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: France, near Geneva
Posts: 809
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 2,519 Times in 630 Posts
FrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss tradition of bagpipes?!?!??

Quote:
View Post
I would add that Scottland and Ireland became beacons of the Bagpipe because of the standardisation which their instruments offer. In the Maghreb, as well as Turkey,Iran, Greece, Eastern Europe, Normandy, Galicia, the bagpipe has very personal touches and is very often made by the musician himself, a very ancient tradition in real folk music.
I think you are referring to the military use of the bagpipe here, as in marching bands. The true Irish bagpipe, Uillean, can only be played sitting down and is certainly not standardized. Type "Seamus Ennis" into Youtube to get a taste of the real thing. More accessible is the wonderful playing of the Chieftain's leader Paddy Moloney. And don't forget England's own little bagpipe: the Northumbrian pipes.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 24.12.2012, 15:24
Simeon's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Zürisee
Posts: 238
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 316 Times in 157 Posts
Simeon has an excellent reputationSimeon has an excellent reputationSimeon has an excellent reputationSimeon has an excellent reputation
Re: Swiss tradition of bagpipes?!?!??

Quote:
View Post
I think you are referring to the military use of the bagpipe here, as in marching bands. The true Irish bagpipe, Uillean, can only be played sitting down and is certainly not standardized. Type "Seamus Ennis" into Youtube to get a taste of the real thing. More accessible is the wonderful playing of the Chieftain's leader Paddy Moloney. And don't forget England's own little bagpipe: the Northumbrian pipes.
Thanks for the clarification FZ. What I am reffering to as "standardization" is the worldwide perception that only the Scots have bagpipes (of military parade fame), and that they are all the same. I am aware of the Uillean pipes and the Northumbrian Pipes and they certainly are not recognized to the degree that they should be. I personally lean more towards the Balkan gaida , Greek tsampouna ,and the Turkish Tulum.
What I find is sad, is that the bagpipes were almost everywhere to be found but were phased out because of the easily maintained , always in tune instruments like ...the accordion.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 25.12.2012, 12:55
Homer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Berner Oberland
Posts: 670
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 758 Times in 342 Posts
Homer has a reputation beyond reputeHomer has a reputation beyond reputeHomer has a reputation beyond reputeHomer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss tradition of bagpipes?!?!??

I was watching Tagesschau yesterday and on a report from Jerusalem there was a marching band playing bagpipes. The bloody things get everywhere.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 25.12.2012, 15:29
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Evian France
Posts: 723
Groaned at 22 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 479 Times in 276 Posts
evianers has earned the respect of manyevianers has earned the respect of manyevianers has earned the respect of many
Re: Swiss tradition of bagpipes?!?!??

Quote:
View Post
Sali,
Well
apparently you don't know of any Scottish or Irish musician families that live in or around Lozärn.(It's pretty traditional around this Christmas time;and I myself and many others love it.)

Ich wünsche allen frohe Weihnacht,Fröhlichs Wiehnachtsfescht;und Wiehnachtstäg & en guete Rutsch ins neue positive Johr 2013.

Merry bless Christmas to all.

Gliiichfalls - merci vielmals!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 25.12.2012, 16:00
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,026
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss tradition of bagpipes?!?!??

Quote:
View Post
I was watching Tagesschau yesterday and on a report from Jerusalem there was a marching band playing bagpipes. The bloody things get everywhere.
It most likely was a Palestinian marching band or even more so by one of the Royal Jordanian Army, which still up to this day controls the Haram-al-Sharif (OmarMosque= Dome of the Rocks plus elAqsaMosque). You of course can hear bagpipes even more in Amman, where it is used by various units of the Royal Armed Forces there.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 25.12.2012, 17:21
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Evian France
Posts: 723
Groaned at 22 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 479 Times in 276 Posts
evianers has earned the respect of manyevianers has earned the respect of manyevianers has earned the respect of many
Re: Swiss tradition of bagpipes?!?!??

Amazingly we were in a very small village in Upper Wallis for their annual concert. After half time, a Piper arrived in full highland regalia including dirk down his sock, and proceeded to play and excellent selection of tunes on the bagpipes for 40 minutes. Afterwards we went to him and said in English "that was fantastic, were did you learn to play"?...... At which he looked totally perplexed and said in broad Wallisertuutsch "I don't speak any English". We switched to the local dialect and he told us he had been fascinated by the instrument since he was a laddie. Could have joined any Scottish pipe band!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank evianers for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 25.12.2012, 23:41
Homer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Berner Oberland
Posts: 670
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 758 Times in 342 Posts
Homer has a reputation beyond reputeHomer has a reputation beyond reputeHomer has a reputation beyond reputeHomer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss tradition of bagpipes?!?!??

Quote:
View Post
After half time, a Piper arrived in full highland regalia including dirk down his sock, and proceeded to play and excellent selection of tunes...
About the only thing I remember from when my cousins were in a pipe band is that the knife normally worn down the sock is a sgian dubh.

Merry pedantmas everyone, yes I really should have something better to do at this time on Christmas Day.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bad music




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fresspäckli ( Frässpäckli ) - a Swiss tradition ( Swiss Army related ) jrspet Other/general 4 18.04.2012 09:01
Rock Piling in Zürich - Tradition? cowlumbus Daily life 11 05.05.2011 09:29
Spring cleaning - A Swiss tradition!! Sada Other/general 24 23.03.2010 14:12


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:02.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0