Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10.02.2013, 04:22
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
gaijinpro has no particular reputation at present
Mandatory retirement age?

Is there a mandatory retirement age in Switzerland?
Is there a mandatory retirement age for professors in Switzerland?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10.02.2013, 09:22
Sbrinz's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,866
Groaned at 563 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 11,548 Times in 5,941 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mandatory retirement age?

Quote:
View Post
1. Is there a mandatory retirement age in Switzerland?
2. Is there a mandatory retirement age for professors in Switzerland?
Is that your introduction? did you agree to abide by the Forum rules?

Answers,
1. No
2. I don't know
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Sbrinz for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 10.02.2013, 09:37
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bern
Posts: 196
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 177 Times in 72 Posts
EvenPar has earned the respect of manyEvenPar has earned the respect of manyEvenPar has earned the respect of many
Re: Mandatory retirement age?

As I read it it is 65 for men and 64 for women.

At my workplace our actuary explained that our retirement plan was originally designed to provide 5 years of benefits. Since life expectancy in Switzerland has increased to 79 for men and 84 for women, he said that men should retire at 74 and women at 79.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10.02.2013, 12:22
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,112
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,191 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
View Post
Is there a mandatory retirement age in Switzerland?
Is there a mandatory retirement age for professors in Switzerland?
65 for men, 64 for women. Some companies allow you to work longer. And if you're self-employed, you can work as long as you want.

All companies allow out work shorter, usually in connection with pension plan cuts.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10.02.2013, 12:33
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,909
Groaned at 2,389 Times in 1,737 Posts
Thanked 38,854 Times in 18,314 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mandatory retirement age?

Quote:
View Post
65 for men, 64 for women.
Yes, however they aren't mandatory.

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 10.02.2013, 12:45
carcharhinus's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Greater Zürich Area
Posts: 484
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 226 Times in 141 Posts
carcharhinus is considered knowledgeablecarcharhinus is considered knowledgeablecarcharhinus is considered knowledgeable
Re: Mandatory retirement age?

Quote:
View Post
Yes, however they aren't mandatory.
Exactly, 64/65 minus 1/2 years or plus up to 5 years is possible.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank carcharhinus for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 10.02.2013, 12:52
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,112
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,191 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
View Post
Yes, however they aren't mandatory.

Tom
They're mandatory for the employers. Nobody can force you to work longer. Employees can volunteer to do so - but at most companies that's not possible.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10.02.2013, 13:02
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Mandatory retirement age?

Quote:
View Post
Is there a mandatory retirement age in Switzerland?
Is there a mandatory retirement age for professors in Switzerland?
Um... welcome to the forum.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 10.02.2013, 13:12
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 8,371
Groaned at 356 Times in 244 Posts
Thanked 12,354 Times in 4,224 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mandatory retirement age?

Quote:
View Post
They're mandatory for the employers. Nobody can force you to work longer. Employees can volunteer to do so - but at most companies that's not possible.
But you can and often are forced to work less. Many of the big insurance companies retire their staff at 62.

Meanwhile Coop will not employ anyone over 70...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank AbFab for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 10.02.2013, 13:25
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
gaijinpro has no particular reputation at present
Re: Mandatory retirement age?

Quote:
View Post
Is there a mandatory retirement age in Switzerland?
Is there a mandatory retirement age for professors in Switzerland?
Thank you everyone for your quick responses. I am asking because I am a professor in Japan. In Japan it is mandatory to retire at 65. I would like to continue teaching and research at a university past the age of 65 if possible. I have EU citizenship and relatives in Switzerland and visit Switzerland often (although I am not Swiss). For these reasons I hope to find a teaching post at a university in Switzerland (although I realize it is very competitive). Generally speaking, is it possible to continue teaching and doing research at a Swiss university past the age of 65, and not be forced to retire at a certain age?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10.02.2013, 13:48
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Mandatory retirement age?

Quote:
View Post
Thank you everyone for your quick responses. I am asking because I am a professor in Japan. In Japan it is mandatory to retire at 65. I would like to continue teaching and research at a university past the age of 65 if possible. I have EU citizenship and relatives in Switzerland and visit Switzerland often (although I am not Swiss). For these reasons I hope to find a teaching post at a university in Switzerland (although I realize it is very competitive). Generally speaking, is it possible to continue teaching and doing research at a Swiss university past the age of 65, and not be forced to retire at a certain age?
I am sure you will get a very well informed response from the universities directly if you call them, tell them your profession, that you would like to work for them (given that is what you want to do) and ask them about their policies. Give it a shot, good luck
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10.02.2013, 13:56
Nixi's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: GR & ZH
Posts: 381
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 260 Times in 148 Posts
Nixi is considered knowledgeableNixi is considered knowledgeableNixi is considered knowledgeable
Re: Mandatory retirement age?

I think you are right in supposing that the openings for professors are few and far between. However there certainly are people working in the accademic field beyond the age of 65. If you are well known in your field on an international level and have published widely and your name would add kudos to a university things might work out, though you would probably not be looking at permanent employment.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10.02.2013, 15:41
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,112
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,191 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mandatory retirement age?

Quote:
View Post
But you can and often are forced to work less. Many of the big insurance companies retire their staff at 62.
yeah, but if they force you to retire early, you don't have to accept any cuts in your pension plan.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank dawiz for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 10.02.2013, 15:45
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,112
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,191 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mandatory retirement age?

Quote:
View Post
Thank you everyone for your quick responses. I am asking because I am a professor in Japan. In Japan it is mandatory to retire at 65. I would like to continue teaching and research at a university past the age of 65 if possible. I have EU citizenship and relatives in Switzerland and visit Switzerland often (although I am not Swiss). For these reasons I hope to find a teaching post at a university in Switzerland (although I realize it is very competitive). Generally speaking, is it possible to continue teaching and doing research at a Swiss university past the age of 65, and not be forced to retire at a certain age?
You won't get a professorship (University jobs are part of the public administration domain. As such, keeping a professorship beyond 65 is usually not possible) - but you might very well be able to work as a visiting professor. Try to figure out where you would like to teach and who's responsible for your field of study.

Peter
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10.02.2013, 16:11
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
My husband is a professor at a Swiss university. There is a mandatory retirement age of 65, but you can continue some work between 65 and 70, and continue to apply for grants. That would seem to be easier, however, if you're established here.

It's very difficult to be hired after 50-55 because of the pension requirements, although if you have a pension already and they want you badly enough, anything is possible.

It is possible for a non Swiss, even a non EU citizen to be hired.

It might well be difficult to be hired post retirement however. Really, the best source of info would be departments you might fit into. If you have unique skills, who knows?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10.02.2013, 16:22
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: na
Posts: 11,037
Groaned at 34 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 26,107 Times in 8,066 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mandatory retirement age?

Quote:
View Post
yeah, but if they force you to retire early, you don't have to accept any cuts in your pension plan.
But that protection only kicks in at age 55. Which is why at many companies employees approaching that age are often 'restructured' at the latest by 54.5, before any protections kick in.

In OH's industry, few in Switzerland make it to the company's official retirement age. If one wishes to continue working, one makes plans for a second career after the inevitable mid-50s 'restructuring'.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 10.02.2013, 16:28
magyir's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wallisellen
Posts: 1,625
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 501 Times in 346 Posts
magyir has a reputation beyond reputemagyir has a reputation beyond reputemagyir has a reputation beyond reputemagyir has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mandatory retirement age?

Quote:
View Post
Exactly, 64/65 minus 1/2 years or plus up to 5 years is possible.
Depends on if you're talking about AHV state pension entitlements, 2nd pillar pension entitlements and 3rd pillar entitlements which don't necessarily correspond.

For example my 2nd pillar has a normal retirement age of 65/64 for non-executive staff with early retirement 3 years early. However an exec can retire fully earlier, and therefore have an earlier early retirement. It depends on the law, and your plan rules.

What I find funny is that apparently if you pay AHV beyond 64/65 it doesn't count towards your entitlement, perhaps this is to be included in the proposed revisions by M. Berset by 2017.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank magyir for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 10.02.2013, 16:32
magyir's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wallisellen
Posts: 1,625
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 501 Times in 346 Posts
magyir has a reputation beyond reputemagyir has a reputation beyond reputemagyir has a reputation beyond reputemagyir has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mandatory retirement age?

Quote:
View Post
But you can and often are forced to work less. Many of the big insurance companies retire their staff at 62.

Meanwhile Coop will not employ anyone over 70...
Executive staff yes. Non-executive staff not necessarily. I've a colleague who just turned 65 and continues part time for almost an additional year of his own volition.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10.02.2013, 19:58
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mandatory retirement age?

Quote:
View Post
As I read it it is 65 for men and 64 for women.

At my workplace our actuary explained that our retirement plan was originally designed to provide 5 years of benefits. Since life expectancy in Switzerland has increased to 79 for men and 84 for women, he said that men should retire at 74 and women at 79.

65 for men, 62 for women. As people already in the 1950ies/60ies became more than 80 years old, what your actuary says simply is rubbish. The "average" includes accidents and accidental illnesses and so is not really relevant.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 25.01.2014, 22:38
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: CH
Posts: 71
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 27 Times in 12 Posts
fliege has earned some respectfliege has earned some respect
Re: Mandatory retirement age?

Quote:
My husband is a professor at a Swiss university. There is a mandatory retirement age of 65, but you can continue some work between 65 and 70, and continue to apply for grants.
I realise this is an old thread, but it's relevant to a question I was about to ask. Does anyone know whether continuing work beyond 65 in an academic environment is something that extends to employees other than professors? e.g. if a researcher has useful skills and has worked in the university for a while, would an existing professor be able to retain them up to the age of 70 or so?
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Luxury retirement plan for senior people ( over 60 + age) e-waste Business & entrepreneur 5 18.09.2011 02:16
Mandatory Equipment in Cars Basel Gooner Transportation/driving 19 29.01.2011 00:44
Retirement age for women valexley Permits/visas/government 4 06.06.2010 22:46
Health Insurance - Mandatory Cover richardm Family matters/health 2 25.01.2010 12:50


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0