English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Daily life (https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/)
-   -   The Happiest Place on Earth (Switzerland No.2) (https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/17303-happiest-place-earth-switzerland-no-2-a.html)

rhythmical remedy 14.01.2008 08:24

The Happiest Place on Earth (Switzerland No.2)
 
Three page article on ABC News-

Denmark: The Happiest Place on Earth


Quote:

Despite High Taxes, Danes Rank Themselves as Happy and Content
Not that happiness can be measured but are you all feeling happy? :)

The 20 happiest nations in the World are:

1 - Denmark
2 - Switzerland +
3 - Austria
4 - Iceland
5 - The Bahamas
6 - Finland
7 - Sweden
8 - Bhutan
9 - Brunei
10 - Canada
11 - Ireland
12 - Luxembourg
13 - Costa Rica
14 - Malta
15 - The Netherlands
16 - Antigua and Barbuda
17 - Malaysia
18 - New Zealand
19 - Norway
20 - The Seychelles

krlock3 14.01.2008 08:33

Re: The Happiest Place on Earth (Switzerland No.2)
 
´hmmmm, wouldnt mind testing out some of these places for myself... seychelles, mmmm.

mannie organ 14.01.2008 08:33

Re: The Happiest Place on Earth (Switzerland No.2)
 
England nowhere to be seen, Now I know why I left.

Marcashvin 14.01.2008 09:29

Re: The Happiest Place on Earth (Switzerland No.2)
 
Sweden ? I thought they had the highest suicide rate .... Maybe this survey was done in summer .....:)

Stephanwolf 14.01.2008 09:33

Re: The Happiest Place on Earth (Switzerland No.2)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcashvin (Post 155627)
Sweden ? I thought they had the highest suicide rate .... Maybe this survey was done in summer .....:)


Uhm its ABC News - that should tell you how likely it is to be believable ;)

Generally speaking places with more sunlight have happier people... Switzerland must be really happy in summer to make up for the rest of the year.

dakman 14.01.2008 10:06

Re: The Happiest Place on Earth (Switzerland No.2)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephanwolf (Post 155630)
Uhm its ABC News - that should tell you how likely it is to be believable ;)

Generally speaking places with more sunlight have happier people... Switzerland must be really happy in summer to make up for the rest of the year.


seems more like some combination of money, sun and employment stability.

gooner 14.01.2008 10:16

Re: The Happiest Place on Earth (Switzerland No.2)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcashvin (Post 155627)
Sweden ? I thought they had the highest suicide rate .... Maybe this survey was done in summer .....:)

The Swedes are pretty happy. They think they're the cats' whiskers of Scandinavia. In Winter and Summer they are happy. They do know how to enjoy themselves. Even though the *entire* country plunges into a national depression in Winter (svartmod) they drink their grogg (paint can moonshine) to make up for it, both depression and elation are resultant of a combined national effort, in true socialist form

There are some casualties, but I'm sure they die comfortably.

In Summer though, there's no place like Sweden. Walk down the Avenue in Göteborg in Summer and you'll have to wear a neckbrace.

Guest 14.01.2008 10:28

Re: The Happiest Place on Earth (Switzerland No.2)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcashvin (Post 155627)
Sweden ? I thought they had the highest suicide rate .... Maybe this survey was done in summer .....:)

Actually I think Finland has the highest suicide rate :) and they rate above Sweden in the happeness stakes :D

gooner 14.01.2008 10:33

Re: The Happiest Place on Earth (Switzerland No.2)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sparks1061 (Post 155668)
Actually I think Finland has the highest suicide rate :) and they rate above Sweden in the happeness stakes :D

Funny that, the Swedes spend a lot of time thanking Thor and Odin that they are not Finnish or Norwegian (even though Finland and Norway are rolling in money now). For some reason they leave the Danes alone (perhaps because they know on some sub-conscious level that the Danes actually got it right, that the Danes are actually happy. While Scandinavia take the piss out of each other, the Danes sit back and chuckle about them)

Amazing how much self-bestowed kudos can come from the safety match, tetrapak and flatpack furniture.

Guest 14.01.2008 10:40

Re: The Happiest Place on Earth (Switzerland No.2)
 
"Further analysis showed that a nation's level of happiness was most closely associated with health levels (correlation of .62), followed by wealth (.52), and then provision of education (.51).

So that would explained why the UK are down at 41st place given the state of the NHS and the Education system :)

TonyBhoy 14.01.2008 10:53

Re: The Happiest Place on Earth (Switzerland No.2)
 
It is arguable

http://wx411.com/blog/blogdisplay1.p...-15%2015:02:35

Unhappiest places on earth (Going by suicide rate, numjbers are per 1000 people)

1 LITHUANIA 75.6
2 RUSSIAN FEDERATION 70.6
3 BELARUS 63.6
4 LATVIA 56.6
5 UKRAINE 52.1
6 SLOVENIA 47.3
7 HUNGARY 47.1
8 KAZAKHSTAN 46.4
9 ESTONIA 45.8
10 SRI LANKA 44.6
11 JAPAN 36.5
12 FINLAND 34.6
13 CROATIA 32.9
14 BELGIUM 29.4
15 AUSTRIA 27.3
16 REPUBLIC OF MOLDOVA 26.7
17
SWITZERLAND 26.5
18 FRANCE 26.1
19 CZECH REPUBLIC 26
20 POLAND 25.9
40
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 17.6
54 UNITED KINGDOM 11.8

Jekyll 14.01.2008 11:37

Re: The Happiest Place on Earth (Switzerland No.2)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyBhoy (Post 155678)
It is arguable

http://wx411.com/blog/blogdisplay1.p...-15%2015:02:35

Unhappiest places on earth (Going by suicide rate, numjbers are per 1000 people)

1 LITHUANIA 75.6
2 RUSSIAN FEDERATION 70.6
3 BELARUS 63.6
4 LATVIA 56.6
5 UKRAINE 52.1
6 SLOVENIA 47.3
7 HUNGARY 47.1
8 KAZAKHSTAN 46.4
9 ESTONIA 45.8
10 SRI LANKA 44.6
11 JAPAN 36.5
12 FINLAND 34.6
13 CROATIA 32.9
14 BELGIUM 29.4
15 AUSTRIA 27.3
16 REPUBLIC OF MOLDOVA 26.7
17 SWITZERLAND 26.5
18 FRANCE 26.1
19 CZECH REPUBLIC 26
20 POLAND 25.9
40 UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 17.6
54 UNITED KINGDOM 11.8

Both you and the blog you quoted from have got your statistics mixed up. The figures are per 100'000 people, not per 1000.

Your figures suggest a 7.5% suicide rate in Lithuania. The actual value is 0.075%.

Reminds me of a thread on this forum where posters claim that something is "fact" just because it is posted on another website.....

Guest 14.01.2008 12:00

Re: The Happiest Place on Earth (Switzerland No.2)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jekyll (Post 155710)
Both you and the blog you quoted from have got your statistics mixed up. The figures are per 100'000 people, not per 1000.

Your figures suggest a 7.5% suicide rate in Lithuania. The actual value is 0.075%.

Reminds me of a thread on this forum where posters claim that something is "fact" just because it is posted on another website.....

I'm guessing the original list comes from the WHO: http://www.who.int/mental_health/pre...iciderates/en/

Note the info is from 2003.

Jekyll 14.01.2008 12:07

Re: The Happiest Place on Earth (Switzerland No.2)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sparks1061 (Post 155735)
I'm guessing the original list comes from the WHO: http://www.who.int/mental_health/pre...iciderates/en/

Note the info is from 2003.

Obvously 2003 was bad year in Lithuania!

TonyBhoy 14.01.2008 12:08

Re: The Happiest Place on Earth (Switzerland No.2)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jekyll (Post 155710)
Both you and the blog you quoted from have got your statistics mixed up. The figures are per 100'000 people, not per 1000.

Your figures suggest a 7.5% suicide rate in Lithuania. The actual value is 0.075%.

Reminds me of a thread on this forum where posters claim that something is "fact" just because it is posted on another website.....


Who cares, my point is that you cant believe any 'facts' which are posted on websites. I am not saying that everything i read is correct, merely stating that figures mean nothing, the original post too

TonyBhoy 14.01.2008 12:10

Re: The Happiest Place on Earth (Switzerland No.2)
 
and by the way, the 2 statistics are contradicting, how can switzerland be so happy if the suicide rate is so high compared to britain.

Its a lot of rubbish

thoean 14.01.2008 12:13

Re: The Happiest Place on Earth (Switzerland No.2)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmical remedy (Post 155617)
2 - Switzerland +
3 - Austria

Seems like I took a good decision to move from 3 to 2... but there ain't much left to go from here.

terryhall 14.01.2008 12:28

Re: The Happiest Place on Earth (Switzerland No.2)
 
I hear Copenhagen is nice this time of year... ;)

Jekyll 14.01.2008 13:02

Re: The Happiest Place on Earth (Switzerland No.2)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyBhoy (Post 155744)
Who cares, my point is that you cant believe any 'facts' which are posted on websites. I am not saying that everything i read is correct, merely stating that figures mean nothing, the original post too

I don't know where to begin with this one....

Guest 14.01.2008 13:07

Re: The Happiest Place on Earth (Switzerland No.2)
 
Just because several people are depressed and off themselves doesn't mean the rest of the population is unhappy (or happy, for that matter), too.
Statistics are statistics. You can't read more into it than face value -- one can only make a few correlations here and there.
No Islamic nation is on the 'unhappy' list probably because suicide is such a taboo there. But that doesn't mean most of the people there (especially many women who don't enjoy the rights and egalitarian standing you and I take for granted) are 'happiest'.

On a lighter note, I think Malaysia is on the 'happy' list (despite the alarmingly rising violent-crime rate and need for political reform) because people there are generally easy-going, family-oriented, have lots of friends and like to eat a lot (eating out is relatively cheap) and chat a lot. Medical care is also quite affordable and education (no matter how erratic its quality is) is free until age 19. Mothers who choose to work outside their homes can quite easily get affordable childcare (the quality of which is sometimes questionable though).


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:57.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0