English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Daily life (https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/)
-   -   GIGANTIC spiders in Switzerland... (https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/179524-gigantic-spiders-switzerland.html)

Fidgety 13.06.2013 15:19

Re: GIGANTIC spiders in Switzerland...
 
It's the long legs and the beady eyes, just something about it makes me shake. Small spiders I can do, no problem, but long legs and big bodies, for get it.

It maybe irrational, but I couldn't touch one.

TidakApa 13.06.2013 15:19

Re: GIGANTIC spiders in Switzerland...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rony_22 (Post 1903226)
how can people be scared of spiders !!!! I guess except for places like amazon forest, mexico and maybe some forests in Africa, nowhere else are spiders poisionous or even aggresive.

enlighten us Rony_22,

what "dangerous" part of the world do you come from?

rony_22 13.06.2013 15:25

Re: GIGANTIC spiders in Switzerland...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TidakApa (Post 1903230)
enlighten us Rony_22,

what "dangerous" part of the world do you come from?

what is the corelation between "no fear of spiders" and "comming from a dangerous part of the world" ? I just stated that in which parts of the world deadly and/or aggresive spiders are found. Since Switzerland is not one of those places, the spiders here can't be dealy or aggresive. So why fear?
And you want to corelated this with my background??!!!

atamar 13.06.2013 15:36

Re: GIGANTIC spiders in Switzerland...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rony_22 (Post 1903226)
how can people be scared of spiders !!!! I guess except for places like amazon forest, mexico and maybe some forests in Africa, nowhere else are spiders poisionous or even aggresive.

I happen to like spiders, but I still get the atavistic GET OFF ME SPAWN OF SHELOB reaction if one lands on me where I don't see it. For some people this just gets amplified even with harmless cuties.

Anyway, you're forgetting Australia off that list. (Favourite: huntsman. Or maybe pretty much any jumping spider. Least favourite: mouse spider.)

TidakApa 13.06.2013 15:42

Re: GIGANTIC spiders in Switzerland...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rony_22 (Post 1903238)
what is the corelation between "no fear of spiders" and "comming from a dangerous part of the world" ? I just stated that in which parts of the world deadly and/or aggresive spiders are found. Since Switzerland is not one of those places, the spiders here can't be dealy or aggresive. So why fear?
And you want to corelated this with my background??!!!

Settle Petal,

This has been an otherwise humourous thread, and my question was equally light-hearted.

Mélusine 02.07.2013 19:44

Re: GIGANTIC spiders in Switzerland...
 
1 Attachment(s)
I currently have a very respectable sized monster in my bedroom. A bit bigger than a 5 francs coin, legs included.

OH is away at work, and there's no way I get close enough yo it to kill it.

What do I do?!?!? :eek: and even worse, what do I go if it disappears god knows where?!?! :eek:

Sky 02.07.2013 20:20

Re: GIGANTIC spiders in Switzerland...
 
Melusine, get a clear glass and place it over the spider, then gently slip a sheet of sturdy paper (or several sheets of paper) under the glass. Lift away from the wall and place outside on the window sill.

Otherwise you can get'im with the vacuum cleaner and then stick the hose part out the window just in case he gets any funny ideas to crawl out.

Yeah I know, very courageous :msnsarcastic:

Mélusine 02.07.2013 20:23

Re: GIGANTIC spiders in Switzerland...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky (Post 1918457)
Melusine, get a clear glass and place it over the spider, then gently slip a sheet of sturdy paper (or several sheets of paper) under the glass. Lift away from the wall and place outside on the window sill.

Otherwise you can get'im with the vacuum cleaner and then stick the hose part out the window just in case he gets any funny ideas to crawl out.

Yeah I know, very courageous :msnsarcastic:

I trying to be brave enough to attack it with the vacuum cleaner. But as it's so close to the ceiling I'm afraid to miss it and having it jumping at me or crawling somewhere where I can't see it...:eek:

Mélusine 02.07.2013 20:34

Re: GIGANTIC spiders in Switzerland...
 
Edit: the deed is done....

Lucky there's no one at home except my daughter and the dog, cause I must have looked like a complete lunatic... Standing up on a chair (in case the spider jumped on the floor), I extended the vacuum cleaner pipe to its maximum. The beast tried to run away but it couldn't resist the machine.

Now I've basically thrown the vacuum cleaner out the front door. OH will deal with it when he comes back home :D

I feel guilty that I couldn't do the glass and paper technique, but it was just too much for me :(

Guest 02.07.2013 20:41

Re: GIGANTIC spiders in Switzerland...
 
Poor thing (the spider:eek:) - how could you :confused:

:)

Shame is your child will probably inherit your fear too.

red_conundrum 02.07.2013 20:41

Re: GIGANTIC spiders in Switzerland...
 
Bad idea to use the vacuum cleaner. What if husband comes home, shakes the hose, declares "spider is dead" (since it didn't pop out), and then, two days later, once you've brought the vacuum cleaner back inside....

(cue Jaws music here)

...itsy bitsy spider crawls out the hose and you discover this when you see it staring at you at 3:00 a.m. from your bedside table doing a threatening happy dance??

At least if you trap it in a plastic container (or glass and paper, but in my experience glasses are too small, so I just use a tupperware) you can go and put the container in a sealed metal trash can at the recycling center 2 kms down the road.

If it gets any ideas to get revenge on you it will take it quite a while to find its way back from the recycling center....by then it will probably already be winter and it's itsy bitsy legs will freeze right onto the sidewalk where a dog will eat it or a car will run over it so you never have to worry about it again...

Vacuum cleaner, on the other hand....

tsk, tsk, tsk, tsk, tsk.....

Mélusine 02.07.2013 21:09

Re: GIGANTIC spiders in Switzerland...
 
Quote:

Poor thing (the spider:eek:) - how could you :confused:

:)

Shame is your child will probably inherit your fear too.
Yeah I know... I really feel guilty :( I mean, I know there's no reason to be afraid of a spider, but it's visceral :(

I'm not sure my daughter understood what was going on. She just saw mommy going gaga with the vacuum cleaner in the evening.

Quote:

Originally Posted by red_conundrum (Post 1918477)
Bad idea to use the vacuum cleaner. What if husband comes home, shakes the hose, declares "spider is dead" (since it didn't pop out), and then, two days later, once you've brought the vacuum cleaner back inside....

(cue Jaws music here)

...itsy bitsy spider crawls out the hose and you discover this when you see it staring at you at 3:00 a.m. from your bedside table doing a threatening happy dance??

At least if you trap it in a plastic container (or glass and paper, but in my experience glasses are too small, so I just use a tupperware) you can go and put the container in a sealed metal trash can at the recycling center 2 kms down the road.

If it gets any ideas to get revenge on you it will take it quite a while to find its way back from the recycling center....by then it will probably already be winter and it's itsy bitsy legs will freeze right onto the sidewalk where a dog will eat it or a car will run over it so you never have to worry about it again...

Vacuum cleaner, on the other hand....

tsk, tsk, tsk, tsk, tsk.....

I told hubby to get rid of the bag and shake the hose when he comes back tonight :D And the vacuum cleaner is currently OUTSIDE the apartment. Hopefully a neighbour will steal it :D

I keep scratching like I'm feeling the nasty bugger crawling all over me... Brrrr.....:msnblush:

TiMow 02.07.2013 21:19

Re: GIGANTIC spiders in Switzerland...
 
1 Attachment(s)
.

Returner 03.07.2013 07:24

Re: GIGANTIC spiders in Switzerland...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mélusine (Post 1918468)
Edit: the deed is done....

Lucky there's no one at home except my daughter and the dog, ....(

Too late to help you this time, but as you have a dog, all you need do is hold the dog near the spider and wait for its long tongue to dispose of the arachnid. Excellent method, though cats are better at this trick

seliza 23.10.2014 22:26

Re: GIGANTIC spiders in Switzerland...
 
This thread was kind of a comfort to stumble upon tonight, as i sat here shaking...

We found a spider on our bedroom wall… I have a really bad phobia as well. :( Anyway, this is him….

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B0p-dciIcAIrZR8.jpg:large

I'm not gonna get any sleep. Not too sure what breed it is either, if anyone knows? :D

TiMow 23.10.2014 22:40

Re: GIGANTIC spiders in Switzerland...
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by seliza (Post 2267033)
This thread was kind of a comfort to stumble upon tonight, as i sat here shaking...

We found a spider on our bedroom wall… I have a really bad phobia as well. :( Anyway, this is him….

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B0p-dciIcAIrZR8.jpg:large

I'm not gonna get any sleep. Not too sure what breed it is either, if anyone knows? :D

Common house spider, by the looks - may be even related to Boris, here:

ladylou 23.10.2014 23:06

Re: GIGANTIC spiders in Switzerland...
 
I tried the hoover method on a big house spider yesterday and what does he do.. he finds a gap and crawls out slowly and casually from underneath the hoover head and presumes to finish his stride across the wall to a far corner out of reach.. :msnshock:

Mélusine 24.10.2014 08:39

Re: GIGANTIC spiders in Switzerland...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TiMow (Post 2267043)
Common house spider, by the looks - may be even related to Boris, here:

We have a lot of them too at the moment, they're trying to find a warm spot to spend the winter months :eek:

Slaphead 24.10.2014 09:15

Re: GIGANTIC spiders in Switzerland...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by seliza (Post 2267033)
This thread was kind of a comfort to stumble upon tonight, as i sat here shaking...

We found a spider on our bedroom wall… I have a really bad phobia as well. :( Anyway, this is him….



I'm not gonna get any sleep. Not too sure what breed it is either, if anyone knows? :D

Her actually - not that it would've made any difference to your sleeping pattern ;)

Leggat 24.10.2014 10:06

Re: GIGANTIC spiders in Switzerland...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ladylou (Post 2267053)
I tried the hoover method on a big house spider yesterday and what does he do.. he finds a gap and crawls out slowly and casually from underneath the hoover head and presumes to finish his stride across the wall to a far corner out of reach.. :msnshock:

I say we nuke the site from orbit, .., it's the only way to be sure.

While I generally prefer the pint-glass-&-CD-case removal method, if it can crawl out of a vacuum stream, we DO NOT WANT it to remain in the gene pool. That, or your vacuum cleaner is too full of spiders

Quote:

Originally Posted by seliza
We found a spider on our bedroom wall… I have a really bad phobia as well. :( Anyway, this is him….

I an unfamiliar with high end cameras, but I assume you did not opt for a macro lens, so, my guess, or I should say hope, is that you zoomed in quite a bit. I only say this because for some reason, with the angle change from wall to ceiling, and the excellent detail, that spider looks the size of a rat. Wtih nothing else to scale it against, it looms pretty large :msnshock:


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:44.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0