Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 21.09.2013, 22:50
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 54
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Michelle55 has no particular reputation at present
Help needed - drill holes in concrete wall

Hello! we're trying to build a TV stand, of which two big cabinets are needed to hang up on the wall. Hubby tried to drill a hole through the concrete wall to hang the cabinet and spent 30mins only to drill through 2-cm deep. 5-cm mininal for each of the total 8 holes we need. We have a 750w power drill.
Wondered if it's the drill, or manpower or it's simply impossible to drill through a concrete wall?
Comments/advice/suggestions are very welcome & appreciated. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 21.09.2013, 22:55
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,273
Groaned at 294 Times in 223 Posts
Thanked 18,937 Times in 6,603 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help needed - drill holes in concrete wall

you need a special drill for concrete. that will do the job. you can buy them at any DIY store.
a stone drill just doesn't work in concrete.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 21.09.2013, 23:01
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 54
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Michelle55 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Help needed - drill holes in concrete wall

Hi, many thanks for the quick reply. Is there any particular brand you'd recommend? I'd assume places like Jumbo will have them?
Thanks!

Quote:
View Post
you need a special drill for concrete. that will do the job. you can buy them at any DIY store.
a stone drill just doesn't work in concrete.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 21.09.2013, 23:54
Captain Greybeard's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sarganserland / NW Lower Penin
Posts: 3,520
Groaned at 43 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 7,410 Times in 2,314 Posts
Captain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help needed - drill holes in concrete wall

Quote:
View Post
Hi, many thanks for the quick reply. Is there any particular brand you'd recommend? I'd assume places like Jumbo will have them?
Thanks!
Yes, Jumbo has them. The correct term is Bohrhammer, much more powerful than an ordinary Schlagbohrmaschine. In English, both kinds are called hammer drill, in our neck of the woods in the US Midwest anyway, but in German there are two different terms.

Since you aren't going to use that thing 24/7 it needn't be one of the top notch brands, otherwise you'll pay 60 CHF per hole.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Captain Greybeard for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 22.09.2013, 01:07
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Help needed - drill holes in concrete wall

Quote:
View Post
Hello! we're trying to build a TV stand, of which two big cabinets are needed to hang up on the wall. Hubby tried to drill a hole through the concrete wall to hang the cabinet and spent 30mins only to drill through 2-cm deep. 5-cm mininal for each of the total 8 holes we need. We have a 750w power drill.
Wondered if it's the drill, or manpower or it's simply impossible to drill through a concrete wall?
Comments/advice/suggestions are very welcome & appreciated. Thanks!!
You need an SDS hammer drill. Most other domestic electric drills, even those with "hammer" function just don't cut the mustard in the concrete that's used in Swiss (and French) buildings. The brand is not important, unless you're going to be using it daily and want it to last for years,but there's a good range available in any Co-op doitall, Migros, Jumbo or whatever. Just ask for advice, then buy one for half the price of the one they recommend

Edit: just re-read this, and it needs more info - just google SDS for that. It's a system supported by all the major brands and allows a much more intense hammer action, independent of the rotation of the drill bit, to really get through the hard concrete you've experienced.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 22.09.2013, 06:53
newsjoke's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Basel
Posts: 61
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 37 Times in 19 Posts
newsjoke has no particular reputation at present
Re: Help needed - drill holes in concrete wall

Quote:
View Post
Hello! we're trying to build a TV stand, of which two big cabinets are needed to hang up on the wall. Hubby tried to drill a hole through the concrete wall to hang the cabinet and spent 30mins only to drill through 2-cm deep. 5-cm mininal for each of the total 8 holes we need. We have a 750w power drill.
Wondered if it's the drill, or manpower or it's simply impossible to drill through a concrete wall?
Comments/advice/suggestions are very welcome & appreciated. Thanks!!
Usually a hammer drill should do the trick, provided you're using the right kind of drill bit, it has to be a drill bit for concrete, normal stone bits aren't strong enough. You should find the drill bit, "Bohrer" in German, at any DIY store. Also, if you're drilling through concrete, odds are you're going to hit steel at least once or twice, in that case, move the hole a centimetre to the left or right, or up or down, all depending on whether you've hit a vertical or horizontal bar. If it helps, the spacing between bars, vertical or horizontal, is usually 15 or 20 centimetres.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank newsjoke for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 22.09.2013, 07:48
Village Idiot's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 3,659
Groaned at 34 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 6,895 Times in 2,225 Posts
Village Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help needed - drill holes in concrete wall

Just so you know what you're dealing with -- our neighbors pulled out one of the walls in their apartment and it's sitting in a skip in front of their house.



You'll notice that there's about 1cm of plaster on the left-hand side, and a good 30cm of cement behind it. This explains why our house is so quiet, and also why a CHF30- drill isn't going to cut it! As others have said, you need a hammer drill and masonry bits.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Village Idiot for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 22.09.2013, 09:49
Verbier's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lully VD
Posts: 4,323
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 4,527 Times in 2,304 Posts
Verbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help needed - drill holes in concrete wall

If you decide to buy a drill (rather than try to borrow one from the neighbours), I suggest you go to Hornbach. This model Mac Allister was purchased there. You might be able to rent one from them as well.

As rob1 mentions below, this type of drill is called an SDS drill (not a hammer drill). You should be asking for this. The other way to see it is via the NO chuck / different drill bits.

The first thing you will notice from the main photo is that there is no "chuck" the part that normally grips the drill bit. These heavy duty drills use another system. You can see that it slides into place and is kept in place with the slots that are on the end of the drill bit (see photo).

So, this means that you need the drill and the drill bit adapted to the drill. You can get both at Hornbach. You can buy a set of drill bits or just the size you need.

I have mounted a flat screen TV on the wall of our bomb shelter with this drill and a 10mm drill bit. It works.
Attached Thumbnails
help-needed-drill-holes-concrete-wall-hammer-drill-.jpg   help-needed-drill-holes-concrete-wall-hammer-drill-b.jpg   help-needed-drill-holes-concrete-wall-hammer-drill-c.jpg   help-needed-drill-holes-concrete-wall-hammer-dril-d.jpg  
__________________
Do or do not, there is no try(ing). Yoda

Last edited by Verbier; 22.09.2013 at 11:58. Reason: Added some info
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Verbier for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 22.09.2013, 11:21
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: north
Posts: 6,132
Groaned at 219 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 5,100 Times in 2,636 Posts
rob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help needed - drill holes in concrete wall

I recently put 4 holes in for track lighting, even with a good hammer drill it took some effort when going straight for the final size.

I found the easist thing to do is go up hole size in stages, if you go for 10mm straight away forget it as it takes ages.

Start at 4mm and work up then its quite easy. Or buy a SDS and do it in 1 hit, though a few drill bits will be cheaper than a sds machine.

Check if you can rent one as an alternative also.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank rob1 for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 22.09.2013, 17:35
John_H's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Up above Nyon
Posts: 4,063
Groaned at 113 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 5,466 Times in 2,110 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help needed - drill holes in concrete wall

I've got a 'proper' makita SDS drill .. However I can also recommend the cheapo from Ikea, they do a drill with a few SDS type bits included, cordless, in a nice little box for 49chf or there abouts.

It's not fancy but i've drilled a few holes in concrete just fine with it. If you only have 8 holes to do then it should be fine.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 22.09.2013, 17:48
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 54
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Michelle55 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Help needed - drill holes in concrete wall

Thanks! That's very visual. I"m thinking 'what a mission impossible' to hang that TV stand! My hubby is certainly more determined than me to conquer this 'concrete wall'!

Quote:
View Post
Just so you know what you're dealing with -- our neighbors pulled out one of the walls in their apartment and it's sitting in a skip in front of their house.



You'll notice that there's about 1cm of plaster on the left-hand side, and a good 30cm of cement behind it. This explains why our house is so quiet, and also why a CHF30- drill isn't going to cut it! As others have said, you need a hammer drill and masonry bits.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 22.09.2013, 17:52
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 54
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Michelle55 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Help needed - drill holes in concrete wall

Thanks very much Verbier. I like pictures. It explains so much more than words. I will also check the rental options as suggested.


Quote:
View Post
If you decide to buy a drill (rather than try to borrow one from the neighbours), I suggest you go to Hornbach. This model Mac Allister was purchased there. You might be able to rent one from them as well.

As rob1 mentions below, this type of drill is called an SDS drill (not a hammer drill). You should be asking for this. The other way to see it is via the NO chuck / different drill bits.

The first thing you will notice from the main photo is that there is no "chuck" the part that normally grips the drill bit. These heavy duty drills use another system. You can see that it slides into place and is kept in place with the slots that are on the end of the drill bit (see photo).

So, this means that you need the drill and the drill bit adapted to the drill. You can get both at Hornbach. You can buy a set of drill bits or just the size you need.

I have mounted a flat screen TV on the wall of our bomb shelter with this drill and a 10mm drill bit. It works.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 22.09.2013, 17:56
newsjoke's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Basel
Posts: 61
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 37 Times in 19 Posts
newsjoke has no particular reputation at present
Re: Help needed - drill holes in concrete wall

Quote:
View Post
Thanks! That's very visual. I"m thinking 'what a mission impossible' to hang that TV stand! My hubby is certainly more determined than me to conquer this 'concrete wall'!
Yes, us men generally tend to take that position, as the Germans would put it: "Männer lassen sich nicht gern von Material verarschen." In other words, men don't like taking crap from materials.

Last edited by newsjoke; 22.09.2013 at 17:57. Reason: spelling mistake
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank newsjoke for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 23.09.2013, 11:42
Verbier's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lully VD
Posts: 4,323
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 4,527 Times in 2,304 Posts
Verbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help needed - drill holes in concrete wall

I just got the latest Hornbach flyer in the mail today. They have a Pattfield SDS drill (900 watts) that can handle drill bits up to 26mm in concrete for CHF 79.

The drill bit you would need is probably 10mm which will add about CHF 10-12 to that cost.

It seems that Pattfield is a home hobby level of brand that Hornbach sells.

I suggest you buy the drill then keep it or sell it as it will be cheaper/less hassle than renting for the day.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Verbier for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 23.09.2013, 11:58
tones's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Oberbaselbiet
Posts: 43
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 21 Times in 10 Posts
tones has no particular reputation at present
Re: Help needed - drill holes in concrete wall

Another problem with boring into concrete is dust. I do a lot of boring (of all kinds...), and I have one of these:

http://www.werkzeugladen24.com/out/p...gbh2-23rea.jpg

Now, if you're only going to bore a few holes, the purchase of such a device is uneconomic, but I'd suggest trying to see whether you can borrow one or something with a vacuum attachment.

I was boring holes in the daughters' place at the weekend, including a deep one in the ceiling over one of the beds - and not a bit of dust escaped the thing to mess up the bed. Great gadget.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank tones for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 23.09.2013, 12:25
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Near Geneva
Posts: 3,170
Groaned at 34 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 4,085 Times in 1,813 Posts
Anjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help needed - drill holes in concrete wall

Quote:
View Post
Another problem with boring into concrete is dust. I do a lot of boring (of all kinds...), and I have one of these:

http://www.werkzeugladen24.com/out/p...gbh2-23rea.jpg

Now, if you're only going to bore a few holes, the purchase of such a device is uneconomic, but I'd suggest trying to see whether you can borrow one or something with a vacuum attachment.

I was boring holes in the daughters' place at the weekend, including a deep one in the ceiling over one of the beds - and not a bit of dust escaped the thing to mess up the bed. Great gadget.
Hubby simply tapes an open envelope just below where he's drilling. Catches most of the dust and costs next to nothing!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 23.09.2013, 12:29
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Help needed - drill holes in concrete wall

Quote:
View Post
I just got the latest Hornbach flyer in the mail today. They have a Pattfield SDS drill (900 watts) that can handle drill bits up to 26mm in concrete for CHF 79.

The drill bit you would need is probably 10mm which will add about CHF 10-12 to that cost.
Looks like it comes with " Beiliegendes Zubehör Zusatzhandgriff, Tiefenanschlag, 3 SDS-Plus Bohrer: 8,10,12 mm, Flachmeißel, Spitzenmeißel, Staubkappe"

I must say it looks good, and a bargain at that price. If only I didn't already have five electric drills...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 23.09.2013, 12:42
Verbier's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lully VD
Posts: 4,323
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 4,527 Times in 2,304 Posts
Verbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help needed - drill holes in concrete wall

Quote:
Looks like it comes with " Beiliegendes Zubehör Zusatzhandgriff, Tiefenanschlag, 3 SDS-Plus Bohrer: 8,10,12 mm, Flachmeißel, Spitzenmeißel, Staubkappe"

I must say it looks good, and a bargain at that price. If only I didn't already have five electric drills...

The CH one is a different colour (grey) and the ad does not mention any drill bits (too bad).
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 23.09.2013, 13:40
lmerkel's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Corseaux
Posts: 316
Groaned at 9 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 249 Times in 114 Posts
lmerkel has an excellent reputationlmerkel has an excellent reputationlmerkel has an excellent reputationlmerkel has an excellent reputation
Re: Help needed - drill holes in concrete wall

If it is in your budget, I would hire a professional handyman. We had the same issue with trying to put in our lighting - our ceiling is concrete because the heating runs through the floors and apartments are sound proof. We got the right tool and my husband was determined, until he started to drill and a chunk of the ceiling came down. We decided on a professional so we wouldn't have to pay any additional cost if my husband ruined the ceiling. In the end - 2 hours work for 120ch. Well worth it.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 24.09.2013, 00:17
symphara's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: omw to Zurich via California
Posts: 119
Groaned at 10 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 150 Times in 54 Posts
symphara has earned the respect of manysymphara has earned the respect of manysymphara has earned the respect of many
Re: Help needed - drill holes in concrete wall

Quote:
View Post
Hubby simply tapes an open envelope just below where he's drilling. Catches most of the dust and costs next to nothing!
You can just use the hoover Remove the attachment, keep it on under the hole as you go along. No mess, no need to destroy an envelope!

As for the power drill, I seriously recommend a Makita. In any case get a power drill that uses the drill heads with the groove - they can't slip inside the machine.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bare concrete wall? heypete Housing in general 10 29.09.2011 22:07
Masonry/Concrete Drill bits (Altstetten) Country_Mouse Housing in general 10 15.12.2010 08:12
Ok don't kill me - How to drill holes in wall ;p hollisterb General off-topic 17 06.09.2009 17:39
Chin up bar - holes in wall Breezy Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 1 06.04.2009 09:01
Needed in Basel: Help with a drill ejml Daily life 0 26.11.2008 14:23


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0